Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did he up the freedom slider?

According to Rooney aye. Not sure if it was 'creative freedom' or if he's not been letting them out of Carrington. Would explain Memphis' need to stock up on loo roll.

Giggs was allowed leave due to a family illness, apparently.

Apparently taking over at Celtic, if you believe the gossip.

Gossip comes from twitter, so is obviously true btw

You know what? I actually laughed when I read it, then I remembered what we have and thought, "Why the hell not"

All total bollocks of course, wasn't it a betting site that started the rumour.

Carrick casually walking back into the team & running the whole damn thing. He's the conductor & the team plays to his tempo.

So much better as he can pick passes that our other midfielders cannot.

LvG actually got the team spot on for once although Stoke looked like a team who have ended their season already. No tempo or pressing to their game at all.

Firsttime in a long time I've not wanted half time to come. Actually enjoyed the game. We need to keep it up though as the fight for the fourth CL spot is going to be very tight. Leicester are finishing top three this year unless they have a monumental collapse.

carrick is a vastly underrated player, the worst thing he/club did was give him that 16 shirt lot of fans got straight on their soap box...''he's no keano'' comments etc, totally different type of players

met the lad a few years back a total gent seemed a genuine nice guy, what I like about him and is a sign of a quality player is he always seems to have time of the ball, not just his excellent passing

when I lived in Germany and talking with fans of various Bundesliga clubs they all wanted him, above some of the 'bigger' names at Utd;)....oh and most wanted to see him play at the back, like Martinez has been used at bayern

I hope he gets another 1 year contract it would be a mistake to let him go

regarding top 4 it is tantalizing there for the taking, if things had been different the title was too:eek:

if we get it LVG stays...if not the club have to get rid using the moyes yardstick, so I am torn.....but I know when it comes down to it I want us in top 4 at least

whatever happens we will be king makers as we play arse/city/spurs so we can do Leicester a massive favour

in the current form and looking at the way arsenal +city are stuttering it wouldn't surprise me if we won both those games

Shows what a difference it makes to play players (like Mata) in their best positions and have a confident Wayne Rooney. Playing like he thinks everything he touches will go in and the 7 in 7 is the result. Now watch them completely regress when the difficult games come in.

Martial is fantastic. How long before he is linked with Barca and Real?

probably this summer, they might go for a swap with james rodriguez, wouldn't go for that or it might be bale if they don't want him

would rather keep martial I think he will be better than bale in a year or two

but for sure they will be sniffing, probably are now

I mean Mata played fantastically against better teams than Stoke from the right, so I doubt it's quite that simple.

If it is that simple then it's almost certainly due to Rooney remembering he's a professional footballer. I just wonder how long it will be before he gets a knock and he's out for two games and goes back to square one. Hopefully sometime on his summer holiday in June.

Mata has also played centrally before without impressing, so there are obviously other factors in play. The fact we scored early impacted the match for instance, and opened it up more, and of course gave the team some confidence. Lets just hope it isn't yet another false dawn. Still 5 points behind 4th, and it doesn't look like Leicester will fall off (would be brilliant if they won the league), Spurs are playing well, and Arsenal are Arsenal, but I can't see them falling down below 4th. Too much quality. We need a strong finish to get up there.

I think that's the first game I've enjoyed all season. It's amazing what can happen when you attack.

Martial is a beast, so so good. Rooney getting another goal can only be good for the team, he's in fine form at the moment. CBJ has been great, so calm on the ball, doesn't seem to worry about anything.

Keep playing like that and I don't care about the results, it's entertaining.

Just watched the game.

Where the bloody hell did that come from. Could have done without several occasions of us looking poor at the back but the attacking play was several steps above anything else we've seen this season. A real intent to attack from the off, proper countering, slick forward passing. The 3 goals were a sight to behold. Martial really is just a pleasure and a delight to watch. Rooney had a really good game, and CBJ really is settling in, though I think the place goes straight back to Shaw once he is fit, unless CBJ puts in performances like he has so far on a constant basis, then Shaw could have trouble.

I mean Mata played fantastically against better teams than Stoke from the right, so I doubt it's quite that simple.

If it is that simple then it's almost certainly due to Rooney remembering he's a professional footballer.

Mata's not had that many particularly good games in his half a season or so playing from the right - particularly as van Gaal made the role more and more rigid - versus most of his career excelling in the centre. I mean, so long as has freedom to drift what he actually does with the ball shouldn't be much different; he's just likely to see more of the ball and have more options with it when he's in the centre. Equally Rooney has been playing well for a couple of months now, but will always perform better when he has license to seek out space and when others are moving around him. Even when he was atrocious on the ball early in the season his movement was quality, but it all went for naught because everyone else was on rails.

Mata has also played centrally before without impressing, so there are obviously other factors in play.

Yeah, the shackles coming off is the key thing - apart from anything else it renders the players' nominal positions less significant. But in either system you're going to get more out of him centrally than out wide.

Mata's not had that many particularly good games in his half a season or so playing from the right - particularly as van Gaal made the role more and more rigid - versus most of his career excelling in the centre. I mean, so long as has freedom to drift what he actually does with the ball shouldn't be much different; he's just likely to see more of the ball and have more options with it when he's in the centre. Equally Rooney has been playing well for a couple of months now, but will always perform better when he has license to seek out space and when others are moving around him. Even when he was atrocious on the ball early in the season his movement was quality, but it all went for naught because everyone else was on rails.

Yeah, the shackles coming off is the key thing - apart from anything else it renders the players' nominal positions less significant. But in either system you're going to get more out of him centrally than out wide.

I mean all of his good performances last season came from the right. Mata is one of those players who is going to be awful when the team is playing badly and great when it's playing well, regardless of where you start him because he does his own thing anyway.

I would recommend taking a look at messi's first goal against Valencia

barca playing like harlem globetrotters Neymar's flick is just sublime

7-0 didn't reflect how one sided this was, they hit woodwork 3 times and had at least 4 good goal scoring chances

11-0 would have to about right

poor nev really feel for him

I mean all of his good performances last season came from the right.

...aye, and how many games was that? Don't recall him playing there prior to the Spurs game nor him (or anyone) pulling up any trees after city, so it's a small return from half a season versus the best part of a career turning in performances from the centre.

Like I say it's not that he can't perform out wide, just that he's more likely to have greater influence in the middle.

...aye, and how many games was that? Don't recall him playing there prior to the Spurs game nor him (or anyone) pulling up any trees after city, so it's a small return from half a season versus the best part of a career turning in performances from the centre.

Like I say it's not that he can't perform out wide, just that he's more likely to have greater influence in the middle.

He has plenty of great performances from the left for Chelsea too and plenty of games out wide when he was back at Valencia. Mata is just way too dependent on playing on the front foot, that's where his problems stem from. When teams are on the back foot he just doesn't offer enough and it's not because of the position he operates.

He has plenty of great performances from the left for Chelsea too and plenty of games out wide when he was back at Valencia. Mata is just way too dependent on playing on the front foot, that's where his problems stem from. When teams are on the back foot he just doesn't offer enough and it's not because of the position he operates.

This. Mata needs to be playing either straight at goal, or picking the ball on the turn with options available. He can do that from any position, but he has to be in a side that is controlling the tempo, or able to counter quickly, otherwise he will fade out to individual moments, in which case you are better off with him at 10, where he can make more of the little productive ball he gets

Not to mention Neymar missing a penalty!

Barcelona are on another planet.

yep put the pen as 1 that hit the woodwork, I know we all have heard the cliché it could have been double figures, I am amazed that it wasn't at least 10, hope for Nev the only way is up now;)

regarding the mata debate I have always said play at 10 or not at all, he has lots of positives, and is no doubt a quality player, however for me I would have him in on the bench, he is a luxury player who is fantastic when we are on top/winning a game and can do what he wants on the ball

the negatives are he has no pace and is too light weight, gets knocked off the ball too easily,(all goals we conceded pre season were a result of him losing ball or being out of position on right where there were huge gaps for the opposition) and doesn't offer much tracking back(there are exceptions obviously)

and here is the big one for me he takes far toooooooooooooooooooo many touches on the ball i.e. in the last game the goals he was involved in he took 4/6 touches before passing the ball on, so if we want to play a pacey counter attacking style he wouldn't start for me, I believe those goals were scored in spite of him being there rather than because he was ....

a lot will disagree and I respect that, I am trying to be objective he is in my eyes (and jose's too) a luxury player but at a time when we are struggling for quality, a lot of fans thoughts become subjective ie they only see the 1-2 good things he does rather than the whole picture

He is no wide midfield player and in all honesty he was signed by a desperate moyes/woodward as a marquee type player to appease the fans after a disaster of a transfer window

I was hoping we would see a 4-3-3 this year with a midfield of carrick/Schneiderlin / Herrera and an attack of depay martial out wide(changing flanks) rooney down middle

This. Mata needs to be playing either straight at goal, or picking the ball on the turn with options available. He can do that from any position, but he has to be in a side that is controlling the tempo, or able to counter quickly, otherwise he will fade out to individual moments, in which case you are better off with him at 10, where he can make more of the little productive ball he gets

Or alternatively out wide, where he's easier to find and won't be crowded out by at least two central midfielders and 2 central defenders he has no hope of physically competing against.

Luke Shaw handed final incentive

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal admits he has handed Luke Shaw an incentive to get fit in time to compete in the Europa League final.

The Reds restart the European campaign against Midtjylland later this month and Shaw has been retained as a member of the squad submitted to UEFA this week, despite continuing his recovery from the broken leg he sustained against PSV Eindhoven in September.

Although United will face a real test to go all the way in the tournament, the Dutchman has revealed he has already spoken to Shaw about the prospect of turning out at Basel's St. Jakob-Park in Switzerland on 18 May.

"He could play in the final, eh?" replied van Gaal when asked by MUTV if it is possible Shaw could feature in the Europa League by the end of the season. "Maybe you don't think that but it's still possible that Shaw could play in that final. I have said that to him.

"You never know. Still, it is halfway [through the recovery]. It can slow down, his rehabilitation, so we have to wait and see."

I really don't hope that he is rushed back in any way shape or form. His injury is a career changer if not managed correctly. I'd rather let him get himself fit, but not risk him. Would be a disappointment to Shaw, but would be in his best future interests.

I'll be infuriated if he gets an England call up.

Give him an early summer, then have him back a couple of weeks before the rest of the squad.

Or alternatively out wide, where he's easier to find and won't be crowded out by at least two central midfielders and 2 central defenders he has no hope of physically competing against.

Cos nobody doubles up on wide players, who aren't crowded by the touchline? If he's commanding the attention of four central players to free space for everyone else when he's playing as a 10 then there's no argument.

I really don't hope that he is rushed back in any way shape or form. His injury is a career changer if not managed correctly. I'd rather let him get himself fit, but not risk him. Would be a disappointment to Shaw, but would be in his best future interests.

I'll be infuriated if he gets an England call up.

Give him an early summer, then have him back a couple of weeks before the rest of the squad.

I really wouldn't worry about it, don't expect us to reach the final.

Cos nobody doubles up on wide players, who aren't crowded by the touchline? If he's commanding the attention of four central players to free space for everyone else when he's playing as a 10 then there's no argument.

You mean wide players who drift inside naturally? And maybe if all 4 were stupid enough to do it at once, I'd say tying up the opposition flank alone would be a much bigger benefit but that's just me.

All this is of course the point, it doesn't matter where you play him. He's going to start out wide from a deeper position and move central, the crucial bit is that he's playing in a side that's on top.

Not to pick on KingRobbo or anything but what is a luxury player? I don't really understand it. Seems to be in relation to attackers that don't offer anything in defence but that accounts for 90% of top quality attackers and also would never be said about a defender who offers nothing in attack. Maybe I just don't get it.

An attacker who is great when you're dominating a game but offers next to nothing in an attacking sense when you aren't.

You mean wide players who drift inside naturally? And maybe if all 4 were stupid enough to do it at once, I'd say tying up the opposition flank alone would be a much bigger benefit but that's just me.

All this is of course the point, it doesn't matter where you play him. He's going to start out wide from a deeper position and move central, the crucial bit is that he's playing in a side that's on top.

... except of course when he gets hooked and publicly chided for doing just that. Which is the point - it's crucial that he, and the rest of the team, are allowed the freedom to play. That way we become a side that's on top.

As much as i have never wanted Mourinho, who else is there that will have his impact? We can't afford a few years of rebuilding because we will get left behind with what everyone else is doing. He'll come in and give everyone a boost and we know he can compete.

I have been anti Mourinho until about 2 minutes ago.

Then again he is fool so do we actually want him.

Not easy this decision stuff.

Also, LVG has come in and instilled this philosophy. Completely different to what we usually play. The board know he's definitely going in 3 years so what exactly was the plan after that? A new manager to come in and play a completely different way going back 5 steps?

Archived