Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, LVG has come in and instilled this philosophy. Completely different to what we usually play. The board know he's definitely going in 3 years so what exactly was the plan after that? A new manager to come in and play a completely different way going back 5 steps?

This was the question from the start. Bad vibes putting in such a fundamentalist who was guaranteed to be short term.

... except of course when he gets hooked and publicly chided for doing just that. Which is the point - it's crucial that he, and the rest of the team, are allowed the freedom to play. That way we become a side that's on top.

Sure, but not relevant.

Anyway we need a director of football brought in at the same time as Jose, someone who is happy to work with him and who will offer some continuity between managers. Where has Carlos Queiroz gone again?

Sure, but not relevant.

:D

Not like our academy is in great shape so Mourinho can't do much more damage than we have done in recent years :(

Yep; though this was also true eighteen months ago. Still makes more sense than anything else to appoint him to give us a successful break from Fergie and watch the progress of the other longer shot candidates (Poch et al) or see how Giggs gets on elsewhere.

I'm not sure where he'd fit in Louis van Gaal's system tbh.

Probably another DM.

Not sure about Mourinho. Is his football going to be what we like to see? Is he going to alienate the players? Does he fit our identity? But then who else is there and LvG comes across as inept to me and has to go pretty soon.

Interesting no one has mentioned Ranieri yet. Worth it or not?

We were really spoiled with Fergie. Now our club is just another team recycling the same old managers. :(

Pellergrini? Even if you take away that he is currently our biggest rivals manager. He has underachieved with the best team in the league. Only winning the league because Rodgers is even worse.

The long term plan for LVG was for him to lay the ground work for Giggs to take over, I'm certain of it. And a part of me feels the club should stick to that.

But, if it's true about Jose writing to the club, he could be the long term replacement. And if not then Giggs learns from Jose and then takes over. And that doesnt mean learn to be like Jose.

Giggs learning his trade elsewhere is not an option. He either becomes a success here or he doesn't and the only way to find out to give him the job. There is no situation where Giggs goes away and then comes back.

If Giggs taking over from LvG was the plan then they abso-****ing-lutely should not stick to that plan. Also 100% sure if Mourinho takes over, Giggs is out the door.

Also Spop, situation where Giggs goes away and then comes back:

1. Giggs goes away

2. Giggs comes back

How does that sound? :brock:

I've said it before, I really can not disagree with you more on this, Gizzy, I'm sorry to say.

No matter how awesome a player he was for us, no matter that he is Assistant Manager, no one should ever be given their first full job in management at the biggest club in the world. You have to earn it, and you don't do that by being one of the very greatest players or being AM for a few years. You do it by taking a job at a lesser club and proving yourself.

Go and manage Celtic for a few years, bring a lower-end Championship team to the Premier League and keep them there for a few seasons, go to Spain and do the opposite of Gary Neville...

Despite my entire lack of wanting Mourinho to become our manager, I'd take him over Giggs without question.

As much as it would be awesome to have someone come in who wants to do a long term job, I can't think of anyone out there who fits that description. Moyes was probably the best bet for that. I'd be quite happy to see Simeone come in or Laurent Blanc ahead of Mourinho. Simeone could even bring Griezmann with him!

Think you're discrediting Pellegrini there. He did well when Malaga was cash-strapped and was Real Madrid manager where did a decent job. He's won the league already and doesn't have a "character" like Mourinho does. Definitely wont say not winning last season to a really (then)strong Chelsea side is underachieving. He'll definitely do a steady job here, but if Woodwood wants Mourinho then by all means.

No to pellegrini. Don't see where all the Giggs hate has come from? But I'd prefer mourinho because of his experience. He shouldn't have returned to Chelsea but that aside, his record speaks for himself. If he's willing to take on board some of our philosophies as in youth and attacking football then even better. If Giggs can learn from him even more then great. Where do we go in a couple of years time if mourinho gets bored? I'd prefer someone who knows the United way than another Dutch masterborefest.

Also, throw in the fact that the reason he got sacked from Chelsea is because he had the Champions in the bottom half ot the table, closer to the relegation zone than the European spots, then that doesn't give great confidence. At least when we fell it was with a new manager and quite a few big players leaving in a short space of time.

I'd like mourinho on the condition that he signs up to the clubs philosophies eg youth and risky attacking football. Personally I would rather come 3rd, or even 5th, playing exciting football with young players given a chance than bore our way to the title.

Giggs is a nice idea but he can't possibly succeed LVG. With the state the club is in atm he has done nothing to suggest he has the ability to take control.

having said that though i am happy to get behind LVG, no manger can do anything without the support of the board players and fans.

I'd like mourinho on the condition that he signs up to the clubs philosophies eg youth and risky attacking football. Personally I would rather come 3rd, or even 5th, playing exciting football with young players given a chance than bore our way to the title.

Giggs is a nice idea but he can't possibly succeed LVG. With the state the club is in atm he has done nothing to suggest he has the ability to take control.

having said that though i am happy to get behind LVG, no manger can do anything without the support of the board players and fans.

Well that's silly. At the end of the day I'd much rather win a title unspectacularly then come 5th playing attacking football. You need to find a balance. Thing with LVG is it's 5th/6th place with boring football, that's the problem. We were never that spectacular in Fergie's last season when we won the title.

I really really hope we don't get Mourinho, I can't stand him.

Id have said the same thing a few years ago. I would hate if he turned us into Chelsea as well. I am starting to feel that it is inevitable though and the thing that gives me hope is he does want the job, which makes me feel like he would want to do things n keeping with the clubs way. if we were trying to get him and he wasn't that keen I would not want him, and I would have gone for both moyes and van gaal at the time.

I think ink he might be a great manager to have but a terrible one to oppose like a few players I can think of; tevez ronaldo etc

Well that's silly. At the end of the day I'd much rather win a title unspectacularly then come 5th playing attacking football. You need to find a balance. Thing with LVG is it's 5th/6th place with boring football, that's the problem. We were never that spectacular in Fergie's last season when we won the title.

Silly it may be but it is genuinely how I personally feel. I'm not saying I don't want to win or that winning is somehow impure, and balance is important, but I'm saying if the balance isn't quite right I would prefer to be more attacking and less trophy winning than boring and win stuff. Of course, with the ultimate aim being winning trophies playing attacking football, but with attacking football being the means to winning.

i agree about LVG being boring and 5th is rubbish, but I think that playing attacking football is the priority and winning will come as a result.

I've said it before, I really can not disagree with you more on this, Gizzy, I'm sorry to say.

No matter how awesome a player he was for us, no matter that he is Assistant Manager, no one should ever be given their first full job in management at the biggest club in the world. You have to earn it, and you don't do that by being one of the very greatest players or being AM for a few years. You do it by taking a job at a lesser club and proving yourself.

Go and manage Celtic for a few years, bring a lower-end Championship team to the Premier League and keep them there for a few seasons, go to Spain and do the opposite of Gary Neville...

Despite my entire lack of wanting Mourinho to become our manager, I'd take him over Giggs without question.

As much as it would be awesome to have someone come in who wants to do a long term job, I can't think of anyone out there who fits that description. Moyes was probably the best bet for that. I'd be quite happy to see Simeone come in or Laurent Blanc ahead of Mourinho. Simeone could even bring Griezmann with him!

but there isn't job out there where he can prove himself for the Utd job. Moyes proved himself a relative success at Everton and it wasn't enough.

He goes to Celtic and wins 3 league titles in a row, big deal Lennon done that lets hire him. Nigel Pearson got Leicester City promoted and set them on to what we see today, lets hire him. Or he can go and do the same with a Spanish, Italian, German side, but unless he is winning those titles and competing in the champions league it doesn't really matter, as thats what we need. And any team capable of doing that won't hire Giggs.

Giggs will never be able to prove himself good enough for us at another team, so its either he goes and never comes back or we give him the job. There is no other way.

Then we don't give him the job, and instead get someone like Simeone.

That would be fine by me. I'm not suggesting we hire Giggs or want that to happen, I just wouldn't mind if it happened. Because although there is nothing that says he would be a great manager there also isn't anything that says he won't be.

Right or wrong, I do feel the clubs plans were for him to take over after LVG. Those plans may have changed with the fans unhappiness of LVG.

but there isn't job out there where he can prove himself for the Utd job. Moyes proved himself a relative success at Everton and it wasn't enough.

He goes to Celtic and wins 3 league titles in a row, big deal Lennon done that lets hire him. Nigel Pearson got Leicester City promoted and set them on to what we see today, lets hire him. Or he can go and do the same with a Spanish, Italian, German side, but unless he is winning those titles and competing in the champions league it doesn't really matter, as thats what we need. And any team capable of doing that won't hire Giggs.

Giggs will never be able to prove himself good enough for us at another team, so its either he goes and never comes back or we give him the job. There is no other way.

I agree that he can't PROVEhimself as a successful man Utd manager anywhere other than Man Utd. He could do something in management though! SAF had great success with Aberdeen, got the job, was a success. Moyes did a great job at Everton, got job, failed. You can't ever know that someone will be a good United manager 100% but our knowledge of Giggs as a manager is almost zero. There has to be a possibility that he could strengthen his credentials elsewhere before getting the job

Giggs can do what the likes of Poch and Mark hughes and even Moyes did. It wont guarantee success but it will make the decision to give him the job less ludicrous and might help with the players buying into his ideas and going with the programme.

Like the 3 guys I mentioned, it does not make them United class but you can see circumstances in which they get/got top jobs and thats all we ask of Giggs

Giggs can do what the likes of Poch and Mark hughes and even Moyes did. It wont guarantee success but it will make the decision to give him the job less ludicrous and might help with the players buying into his ideas and going with the programme.

Like the 3 guys I mentioned, it does not make them United class but you can see circumstances in which they get/got top jobs and thats all we ask of Giggs

Completely agree. Will also help him in bad patches. Compare with nev at Valencia, the narrative isn't 'what will Neville do to arrest this slump' or ' what do Valencia need to change about themselves' it's 'is Gary Neville fundamentally capable of being a manager, let alone at the top level?'

It's not fair on Giggs either, he's never going to succeed without the necessary experience. The whole thing is ridiculous really, he should have been out managing another team for 18 months now to distance himself from the Moyes disaster and prepare himself. I'm sure LvG has loads of wisdom to impart, but he's spent quarter of a century working under SAF, a lack of anecdotes isn't going to be his issue. He needs to find out for himself if he can be a leader and get players to play to a plan, he won't do that sitting around being LvG's assistant.

It's not fair on Giggs either, he's never going to succeed without the necessary experience. The whole thing is ridiculous really, he should have been out managing another team for 18 months now to distance himself from the Moyes disaster and prepare himself. I'm sure LvG has loads of wisdom to impart, but he's spent quarter of a century working under SAF, a lack of anecdotes isn't going to be his issue. He needs to find out for himself if he can be a leader and get players to play to a plan, he won't do that sitting around being LvG's assistant.

Spot on dion!

Question is do we rectify it now by letting him go and do the above or do we compound it by letting him hang around waiting for delivery of whatever the club promised him. I say let him go and get the experience, better late than never.

Is Mahrez a Mourinho type player?

We have a Mahrez type player in Martial, I bet if Martial was playing for THIS Leicester he would be on for player of the year. That said we could always do with 2 but Mourinho and LVG would commit suicide than have such expressive players in the starting lineup.

We have a Mahrez type player in Martial, I bet if Martial was playing for THIS Leicester he would be on for player of the year. That said we could always do with 2 but Mourinho and LVG would commit suicide than have such expressive players in the starting lineup.

Martial and Mahrez to be our Duff and Robben. Mou can attack really, he says he changed.

Giggs has all the time in the world. Had LVG been super successful with Giggs as no.2 then maybe Giggs could have taken over after that. But as it is, he's not the answer.

Why we are only talking to mourinho now about taking over at the end of the season is slightly baffling. Why not start talks in December when he was available and we were useless? Then bring him in January.

Whilst results have improved the football has only improved in the the last game so I'm still not overly hopeful about the rest of the season. If mourinho (or anyone) had come in in January id be more hopeful of finishing top 4.

Why we are only talking to mourinho now about taking over at the end of the season is slightly baffling. Why not start talks in December when he was available and we were useless? Then bring him in January.

Whilst results have improved the football has only improved in the the last game so I'm still not overly hopeful about the rest of the season. If mourinho (or anyone) had come in in January id be more hopeful of finishing top 4.

Because Ed doesn't want to sack LVG

The Leicester style of football is quite brilliant. 31% posession but dominate the game. I'm sure Leicester average less than 50% per match. It is beautiful football I would love to watch week in week out. It is totally anti-LVG style.

Archived