BBC or ITV for the World Cup?

Razzler

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We will have Richard Keys and Andy Gray here on beIN Sports but means sleeping 4am every night whereas I can work from the UK and have a proper structured day

beIN usually get some pretty decent guests alongside the usual pundits you see on the likes of Sky (Souness, Francis, Guillet, etc)

I watched some of Rio when he did punditry on England/San Marino and he excelled at saying absolutely nothing at all so will fit in well around the sofa. Linekar a good host, sometimes I'd prefer to hear his opinion

Richard Keys is a moron. Wish I could have Thierry instead of him.

Do you have eLife or a dish? I think beIN are charging 440 for the month for the World Cup channels but not sure about via eLife/cable

I will go and watch in England, can't stand the beeping horns and cheering in my street whenever Portugal/Brazil/Spain win a game ... until they go out and then it's Italy, France ... etc

We should open a book on how many 'Andy and Andros aren't related' comments that Chiles makes.

Haha, absolutely

Should be in the predictions thread :D

There will be an additional charge for beIN even on eLife, they usually add another couple of 'world cup channels' and make you sign up to regular beIN sports for 12 months as well (which I already do)

I can't be doing with 4am finishes everyday :D I think I will take the chance to go to England and tie it in with watching it all there

Itv has been far superior for about a decade now. Bbc coverage of the last World Cup was an insult to the viewers.

BBC do have some terrible pundits but ITV is far, far worse and has been ever since I can remember. Chiles alone makes them worse.

There will be an additional charge for beIN even on eLife, they usually add another couple of 'world cup channels' and make you sign up to regular beIN sports for 12 months as well (which I already do)

I can't be doing with 4am finishes everyday :D I think I will take the chance to go to England and tie it in with watching it all there

Going home is not an option for me. My sleep pattern is going to be so screwed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are as bad as each other and who is that bloke who fronts the ITV games?,Sky would do a better alround job,they are doing some good reports(build_up) from Miami@Brazil its a shame the matches are on BBC/ITV only,its the only time I watch BBC/ITV nowadays!

Would be better if all 3 had it,prefere watching Sky,more reports,interviews and they even talk to the fans out there,better build-up just like F1,,,,,,,great seeing all the flags last night even one from AFCB behind a goal:cool:

Seeing as the World Cup is on this 'protected' list of sporting events who were they bidding against?

Presumably against each other, and I guess there's nothing stopping Channel 4/Channel 5 going for it, or any of the smaller Freeview channels. Would love to see a World Cup solely on Dave for example :D.

Presumably against each other, and I guess there's nothing stopping Channel 4/Channel 5 going for it, or any of the smaller Freeview channels. Would love to see a World Cup solely on Dave for example :D.

Could Sky Sports bid and then just create a Sky Sports World Cup channel that is free during the tournament? Now that everything is digital how easy would it be for them to transmit onto FreeSat?

I was wondering that same thing but you'd need a box of some kind, wouldn't you, even a freeview so wondering if that's against the whole 'free' thing. It's free but you can't get it unless you have a box

Probably defeat the object of it all for Sky though. They generally want subscribers, don't they?

Can Sky show anything or when reporting on it have to show those still pics, bloody hate that :D

I was wondering that same thing but you'd need a box of some kind, wouldn't you, even a freeview so wondering if that's against the whole 'free' thing. It's free but you can't get it unless you have a box

Probably defeat the object of it all for Sky though. They generally want subscribers, don't they?

Can Sky show anything or when reporting on it have to show those still pics, bloody hate that :D

As a SKY subscriber I don't think it would be right if they had it as well and non subscribers can view it also when they can see it on BBC/ITV(matches),I think I put that right?

Not sure about the SKY world cup reports maybe BBC/ITV have rights to those at the mo? as I never watch BBC/ITV news cant tell if they are SKY reports?,do BBC/ITV have any other programes,other than matches on the world cup?

Would like Sky to do a SSN dedicated channel just for football,the thing wrong with SSN at the mo it has too much news of the minor sports on it,cricket/rugby even hurling lol

Well, football isn't the only sport that matters! My main problem with SSN is it is focused far too much on football.

It is to me,an extra SSN channel just for football would be better,not that interested in the other sports deffo would not subscribe if there was less football,i've been injured and off work for the past 3/4 weeks unable to move much,had SSN on most of the day,all day sometimes and playing FM ,deffo to much about the minor sports lol

well it probably is the most popular sport in this country and it's the sport that Sky pay the most money for so it's not a surprise it gets top billing

they do seem to be going to different sports now though it seems, not sure if that's due to BT Sport taking their football or trying to expand the portfolio to attract different subscribers. Not used to seeing Sky with netball, field hockey and GAA sports on the schedule

It is to me,an extra SSN channel just for football would be better,not that interested in the other sports deffo would not subscribe if there was less football,i've been injured and off work for the past 3/4 weeks unable to move much,had SSN on most of the day,all day sometimes and playing FM ,deffo to much about the minor sports lol

When there's no football news to report - what do you expect them to talk about? :confused:

When there's no football news to report - what do you expect them to talk about? :confused:

Make stuff up, but then they do that anyway and still repeat themselves every 10mins. Imagine how awesome it would be hearing the same story every 5 minutes if they didn't have to report on the lesser/northern sports.

BBC have a MOTD special at 10.35, a general hour-ish preview of the tournament. Will feature Gary Lineker trying to coax something coherent out of Rio Ferdinand, and Alan Shearer already looking sunburnt after a couple of days on a Brazilian golf course.

I will watch all the games that the BBC have as I enjoy listening to 'most' of the people they will have on the show.

I read a strange comment by Mark Lawrenson today though, "Spain lack an outstanding striker and they are not a brilliant side any more but they are still a very, very good team."

Thankfully Gary Lineker had a bit more sense, "Spain are arguably even stronger than in their last three major tournaments - which they won - as they have a striker now in Diego Costa".

Hopefully Gary pulls him up on that one.

BBC have a MOTD special at 10.35, a general hour-ish preview of the tournament. Will feature Gary Lineker trying to coax something coherent out of Rio Ferdinand, and Alan Shearer already looking sunburnt after a couple of days on a Brazilian golf course.

The cliches are starting early :)

Starting now :thup:

Archived