Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good Phil Babb memory:

His career hit controversy in August 2000 when he and Mark Kennedy were ordered home from the Republic of Ireland squad after appearing in court accused of causing criminal damage, causing a breach of the peace and being drunk and disorderly. They were rolling across car bonnets while replicating scenes from Starsky and Hutch, but unfortunately chose an unmarked police car.

The mention of Phil Babb just reminds me when we went and splashed out £7m on him and John Scales within 24 hours and they went on to be awful, and just slightly less than awful, in that order. And this was in 1994 when £7m was a hell of a lot to blow in one go like that. Entertaining football but no discipline in the team at all under 'Mr Nice Guy' Roy Evans. Bad times :(
Haha. How times have changed.... oh, hang on...

I'm sure it wasn't a good memory for Phil Babb :D. Was against Chelsea or United wasn't it?

For some reason I have an image of him in that horrible green kit we used to have but can't remember the oppo. More likely to be United if we had a change kit but my memory of it is pretty vague.

Is it true that Suarez's agent is Pep Guardiola's brother? Seems to be rumours every day linking Suarez to Bayern.

That rumour will not go away anytime soon. Bayern are one of THOSE clubs in all fairness. Might be hard to keep him here if they do show an interest and stump up enough cash.

They could end up winning the CL and Bundesliga this season. We are still very much a work in progress. Might not be enough to keep him here.

we need this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR46hyrCCI4

howedes looks pretty decent too. infact theres probably a fair few decent cb's in germany. de vrij in holland too, didnt rodgers go scout him over the weekend?

personally i'd swap hummels and howedes for skrtel and agger esp if we got the money rumoured around for them in the summer.

since howedes can also play rb, I'd think the depth chart would look something like

agger/skrtel/howedes/coates/kelly - which gives us a really valuable option should agger go down with injury. adding europa league matches to domestic cup stuff gives possibly up to 50 games (100 between both positions) to spread around. that's 25-30 games for each of the first 3 and a good dozen or so left to give to coates.

johnson/howedes/kelly - great depth and gives added flexibility to move johnson to the left if rodgers wants to play that way.

kelly's the odd man out is this scenario but has the possibility to add games if we should 1) sell skrtel 2) lose someone to injury 3) outperform coates.

posted mid-june :cool:

Is it true that Suarez's agent is Pep Guardiola's brother? Seems to be rumours every day linking Suarez to Bayern.

Suarez agent is Pep Guardiola's brother yeah but dont know about him going Bayern that's just rumours as is a £40 million release clause.

Looks pretty great based on that. Seems to be two footed aswell. Gets stuck in and looks to have a good eye for a pass. Intriguing.

I also like the fact that he looks for the forward pass too. At 15 and playing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds it can be intimidating and becomes easy to play it safe and simple, but he had no problems looking to play a direct throughball or an attacking pass to the flanks, and if it didn't work out he wouldn't let it bother him and would happily give it another try later. Well worth keeping an eye on.

dont be silly, he's involved in coaching or knows a coach or something down under so he automatically knows more than all of us.

nothing wrong with his technique esp for a 15yr old and as said, his vision is pretty impressive for a youngun.

as for rafa, it will be pretty epic when we start singing his name when chelsea come round, aslong as we're winning ofc.

Jordan Rossiter is a good prospect. Technically a lot of footballers are similar at that level, especially those who get picked up by top sides, so you have to show something extra and he has that. No surprise he's captained England at his youth level and has had Robbie Fowler, perhaps unnecessarily, comparing him to Steven Gerrard. If i can post links, here's a bit i wrote about him http://www.ilikeliverpool.me/liverpool-fc/jordan-rossiter/

Jordan Rossiter is a good prospect. Technically a lot of footballers are similar at that level, especially those who get picked up by top sides, so you have to show something extra and he has that. No surprise he's captained England at his youth level and has had Robbie Fowler, perhaps unnecessarily, comparing him to Steven Gerrard. If i can post links, here's a bit i wrote about him http://www.ilikeliverpool.me/liverpool-fc/jordan-rossiter/

The thing is, players like Pacheco, Suso, Texiera are ten a penny. Pretty footballers, good technique but don't have the ability to impose it on a game. This lad is playing three years above his age bracket and dominating games. Which, if you don't know, is massively impressive at that stage of development. The most impressive thing to his game is his ability to read it. Knows when to get forward and do his defensive duties. He also has the knowledge of when to play a pass or when to recycle possession until something better comes along, not to mention his vision on the pitch.

Then you haven't got a clue.

Yea, you're right. I should judge him on his ability to occasionally knock a long ball (more accurately off target than not) and his ability to pass 8 yards in a youtube montage from a single game. What a level of knowledge that's given you. :thup:

More accurately, his body is yet to undergo some major changes at that age. Anyone creaming themselves over that can be laughed at when he's likely playing non-league in 5-6 years time after being noticed as released in a byline on RAWK.

He is, to insert a cliche, typically English. Engine, runs all day, and once in a while does something worth applauding. That's not amazing. Give me a 15 year old who can play with a bit of flair and creativity any day, thanks. Probably the most laughable thing is that you said guys like Pacheco and Suso are 'ten a penny' because they have close control of the ball, as though England produces loads of them. I'd take that Chelsea kid linked in the other video a mile before I'd look at Rossiter.

The thing is, players like Pacheco, Suso, Texiera are ten a penny. Pretty footballers, good technique but don't have the ability to impose it on a game. This lad is playing three years above his age bracket and dominating games. Which, if you don't know, is massively impressive at that stage of development. The most impressive thing to his game is his ability to read it. Knows when to get forward and do his defensive duties. He also has the knowledge of when to play a pass or when to recycle possession until something better comes along, not to mention his vision on the pitch.
Fully agree.

You definitely haven't got a clue.

Yea, coming from the guy who said Enrique was amazing, I'm pretty confident that your judgement of players is the one without a clue, but hey, you keep on with that youtube pov, and we'll see where the kid is in five years time.

Archived