Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion its because Sturridge refuses to pass most of the time and shoots from ridiculous angles. He's like a poor mans Suarez, and having both in the side would probably be a terrible idea.

The rest of our players pass too much so this could be a blessing! Alternatively, he will at least provide cover centrally when Suarez gets injured/banned.

Sturridge did well at Bolton when he was playing week in, week out so I reckon he'll do alright for us if he's playing regularly.

I remember last season I think it was around Christmas time when Chelsea travelled to Newcastle and Sturridge played on the wing. He absolutely ripped Newcastle's defence apart with his pace, but his finishing let him down on that day, but his overall performance was superb.

I remember that as well, he was beating the full-back every single time.

His selfishness, decision making and sometimes finishing is what let's him down.

I remember last season I think it was around Christmas time when Chelsea travelled to Newcastle and Sturridge played on the wing. He absolutely ripped Newcastle's defence apart with his pace, but his finishing let him down on that day, but his overall performance was superb.

I remember that as well, he was beating the full-back every single time.

His selfishness, decision making and sometimes finishing is what let's him down.

To defend Sturridge, I think his selfishness will be toned down when given a long run in a team. He seems desperate to score (which is a great thing), and at Chelsea that means getting as many shots into his limited playing time as he can.

Think he'd be a cracking signing for you.

And about the Suso thing - of course he was fined for that. Not sure why anybody is surprised. It's a public forum and he plays in a sport that is trying to stamp out any prejudice against gay people. He won't do it again.

Sterling would easily get £30k a week at another club, and for someone who's out performed all expectations and is now an international it's not that bad a deal for the club. Has already contributed more than J.Cole who is on more than 3 times as much.

Sturridge should be alright, I winced at the £12m price tag though. But if he converts 50% of the chances that should be coming his way he'll be worth it.

I agree with Sterling but even to be earning £10k a week at his age is something to be proud of let alone £30k plus bonuses. Sturridge will excel at Liverpool I am sure. People say he is selfish, some reasons for people not wanting him but he contributed many assists for us last season. I think he is a quality player and he got into double figures being played out on the wings. I will actually be surprised if Liverpool are the only one to show interest in him but IMO you are lacking someone like him. I rate Sterling really highly but at his age what he lacks is finishing but that surely will improve with age. Yeah and with Joe Cole he needs to go full stop. Never going to be the same player again and is like one of the highest paid players at Anfield.

The problem with Sturridge when he isn't given a long run of games is he thinks he needs to do something amazing to impress the manager, he's always been the same. When he went to Bolton and knew he was going to play every week, he settled down and probably played the best football of his career. I still believe he can be great, he just needs to be settled in a side that plays him upfront and isn't going to drop him if he isn't having a good game.

nonsense, if he performs in training you don't think Rodgers will give him a chance?

Well he may give him chances but so far that hasn't happened and we're not going to drop Sterling or Suarez for him and then we'd have a new costly signing over him and Borini coming back. Just can't see him ever getting a run in the team if we sign Sturridge.

Fwiw before somebody decides to put words in my mouth, I'm not saying Assaidi is better than Sturridge.

Is it true that we have a £1.5m buy back clause for Ince?

I read that the fee is meant to be around £6m, but that we have a 35% clause of his next fee which would wipe off so we would end up paying around £4m. Not sure how true that is.

I read that the fee is meant to be around £6m, but that we have a 35% clause of his next fee which would wipe off so we would end up paying around £4m. Not sure how true that is.

Great business that then let a lad go in the summer then spend £4m getting him back. Thank god we brought in that great new scouting team :applause:

#1 - It was the 2011 summer not the 2012 summer.

#2 - Shockingly, some players aren't happy sitting in the reserves and actually want to play football.

#3 - Shockingly, some players improve by getting that football.

Great business that then let a lad go in the summer then spend £4m getting him back. Thank god we brought in that great new scouting team :applause:
think your hero kenny has to shoulder some of the blame there should of invested in youth a bit rather than being like a kid in a sweet shop with crap like downing and Henderson.

#1 - It was the 2011 summer not the 2012 summer.

#2 - Shockingly, some players aren't happy sitting in the reserves and actually want to play football.

#3 - Shockingly, some players improve by getting that football.

Get him signed to a new contract and send him on loan then.

think your hero kenny has to shoulder some of the blame there should of invested in youth a bit rather than being like a kid in a sweet shop with crap like downing and Henderson.

Never said he didn't have to shoulder any of the blame. For what its worth he's not my hero although I'd say he is for the vast majority of our support. I'm more disappointed in our owners than anything else to be honest.

No buy back clause as he left for free.

No he didn't leave for free.

Was listening to Talksport at lunch time and Damien Comolli was on and he said that the club made 5 seperate offers of contract to Ince but he turned them all down saying he didn't think he would get first team football here. We set up a deal with Blackpool as part of our interest in Charlie Adam where we got Adam at a reduced fee and they got Ince for a small fee plus add on payments relating to performance and a "substantial" sell on clause. That would mean should we buy him back from them we would get a good discount on the price.

Get him signed to a new contract and send him on loan then.

Never said he didn't have to shoulder any of the blame. For what its worth he's not my hero although I'd say he is for the vast majority of our support. I'm more disappointed in our owners than anything else to be honest.

Being sent out on loan year on year isn't the same as getting first team football at your own club.

No he didn't leave for free.

Was listening to Talksport at lunch time and Damien Comolli was on and he said that the club made 5 seperate offers of contract to Ince but he turned them all down saying he didn't think he would get first team football here. We set up a deal with Blackpool as part of our interest in Charlie Adam where we got Adam at a reduced fee and they got Ince for a small fee plus add on payments relating to performance and a "substantial" sell on clause. That would mean should we buy him back from them we would get a good discount on the price.

Just wondering if he also explained why he completely screwed us over with ridiculous wages and fees for **** players? I can't help but think the higher the fees, the more he made out of it, as anybody with any sort of football knowledge would never have done what he did.

Not sure if I'll ever get over most of those signings, or if the club will. We're certainly paying for it now.

Why are most of you against Sturridge?

I would happily take him..............................for under £9 million though.

Hit the nail on the head, we're probably going to get ripped off again. I'm happy with him as a signing. Although we really do need to look outside of England in the summer if these are the only signings in Jan.

Funny thing is I reckon Downing would make the Championship look easy himself. Can't see Ince having a major impact for some reason. Maybe it is just me.

The difference is, Downing has reached his highest potential, where as Ince is young enough to still improve.

The difference is, Downing has reached his highest potential, where as Ince is young enough to still improve.

Of course. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a move where he has limited chances as I think he is a very talented player. I just question is he going to offer any more than Aissaidi and co would do. He would be best of staying the season at Blackpool them moving IMO

Confirming Sturridge and Ince and getting Raheem on a new deal would be fantastic business. Still need a genuine striker though.

Will Sturridge not be played as an out and out striker? Looks much more effective there than out wide in my opinion.

Archived