Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sturridge did well in his run of games at Bolton as the 'main man', he does seem to have an ego on him and he's very left-footed. I think he can do ok. AVB gave him a fair few games at Chelsea and IIRC he did ok but for some reason not had a real big run.

Signing Ince is one of the things 'wrong' with football these days. Academies players being moved on, no patience to develop and then buying them back. That kind of thing annoys me. He was part of the Charlie Adam deal, right? You gave up a, by all accounts, promising young player for Charlie Adam? It's fitting that it's Adam, buying from Blackpool, didn't quite do it at a bigger club and you wonder which way Ince will go.

I am just not sure he's what you need right now.

Also, Downing with one of the best performances of the last 2-3 years for him but I wouldn't let that cloud the fact he's still rubbish. I don't think you'll bin him his winter though as you don't have the biggest squad and you're still in Europe

Ince asked to go becauae he wanted first team football, we wanted him to stay. Absolutely nothing to do with us not having patience and we certainly didn't give him up. Its been mentioned like 10 times the last few pages. if it wasn't for Adam he might have gone to a different club, but he still would have gone

Also downing was told a while back by rodgers that he could move in Jan, not sure a couple of good performances will change that

Sturridge did well in his run of games at Bolton as the 'main man', he does seem to have an ego on him and he's very left-footed. I think he can do ok. AVB gave him a fair few games at Chelsea and IIRC he did ok but for some reason not had a real big run.Signing Ince is one of the things 'wrong' with football these days. Academies players being moved on, no patience to develop and then buying them back. That kind of thing annoys me. He was part of the Charlie Adam deal, right? You gave up a, by all accounts, promising young player for Charlie Adam? It's fitting that it's Adam, buying from Blackpool, didn't quite do it at a bigger club and you wonder which way Ince will go.I am just not sure he's what you need right now.Also, Downing with one of the best performances of the last 2-3 years for him but I wouldn't let that cloud the fact he's still rubbish. I don't think you'll bin him his winter though as you don't have the biggest squad and you're still in Europe
We offered Ince several contracts and was willing for him to be the highest paid reserve player we had. But he wanted first team football and didn't want to go on loan. Also based on the players we've used this season, I don't think we can be accused of not giving youth a chance.

I don't think that is a bad thing. Suarez will score wherever he is played, because he will be allowed to pretty much play freely whichever wide position he is in. He already pops-up on both wings when playing as a centre forward as it is.

Also, nobody is going to put such a clause in their contract anyway...

no idea how they will start but you look at how often Suarez goes wide or drops deep and then there is no one in those spaces up front, that's where Sturridge will be making a run too, wouldn't be surprised to see him get a pretty decent goal tally by the end of the season and be the guy we need to put away the tap ins.

no idea how they will start but you look at how often Suarez goes wide or drops deep and then there is no one in those spaces up front, that's where Sturridge will be making a run too, wouldn't be surprised to see him get a pretty decent goal tally by the end of the season and be the guy we need to put away the tap ins.

Exactly, start him wide right and he can cut in and get some goalscoring opportunities when Suarez is doing his thing. With Sterling on the left, this could be a very exciting front 3.

Ah, fair enough on Ince but obviously you weren't keen on giving him a chance and got the likes of Charlie Adam and Downing (?) that season or was it before

I think the youth this season is as much a neccessity I can just see this Ince thing going the way of the likes of that Charlie Adam transfer

From the press conference with Rodgers it does sound like there's some truth in Sturridge or his agents trying to get something in the contract about having to play up front. But Rodgers has said no.

If he is making demands like that, we should just walk away now and look at other targets. No player should pick his own position in the team, that's up to Brendan.

If he is making demands like that, we should just walk away now and look at other targets. No player should pick his own position in the team, that's up to Brendan.

If it is remotely true, then that is the exact attitude I have been on about with him.

Playing in a certain position in a contract is just unworkable. Even strikers established in a team playing a particular position are required to play out of position and what is 'central' anyway? You're there on a team sheet and drifting out wide or you're on a team sheet as wide but spend most of the game down the middle, it's just balls and any player giving it that can pack up and go home from any club.

There is of course a big possibility it's all rubbish :D

Stoke striker Michael Owen has fond memories of playing for Liverpool and hopes he can finally enjoy some success against them on Boxing Day.

Stoke striker Michael Owen has plenty of happy memories from his time at Liverpool, but does not look back too fondly on the occasions he has played against them.

The former England international enjoyed the most prolific days of his career at Liverpool, where he came through the youth ranks.

Since leaving the Reds in 2004 though, he has failed to score a single goal against them and Owen admits he has rarely had much fun when being on the opposing team.

The 33-year-old will be hoping the trend changes on Boxing Day when the Potters host Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League, a game in which he could make his first Stoke appearance since October 27 having overcome a hamstring problem.

Owen - who departed Anfield for Real Madrid and moved on to Newcastle and Manchester United before joining Stoke this season - told Independent Sports News: "It is a strange feeling really playing against your old club, especially one where you were there for around 15 years.

"Liverpool are a big part of my life and career and I had some of the best times of my life at the club.

"So certainly I have happy memories. I have not been so happy playing against them since; I have never scored and not particularly enjoyed it."

Stoke, currently ninth in the table, head into the clash with eighth-placed Liverpool in fine form.

Tony Pulis' men are unbeaten in their last eight matches and Owen is optimistic they can keep the run going.

"I don't see any reason why not," Owen said. "We had a really tough start to the season and we picked up points against some of the big teams.

"Then we went into a period of games where you would look at them on paper and say we had a chance of picking up points, and we have duly done that.

"We are on a nice run of form. Every game is tough in the Premier League, but there is no reason why we can't continue it."

While a maiden top-10 Premier League finish looks a realistic prospect and a European berth is not beyond the realms of possibility, Pulis has continually insisted he will focus on no other target than reaching 40 points.

Owen shares his manager's sentiments on the matter, adding: "I think our ambitions are probably still the same.

"First and foremost everyone wants to survive in the league, no matter what team you play for, so you want to hit that magic 40 points before you start dreaming about anything else.

"Then once you have done that, you want to finish the season as well as you can and get as high as you can.

"The club were in Europe last year (in the Europa League after reaching the 2011 FA Cup Final) and that was a fantastic achievement.

"We know that is possible, but first and foremost it is about getting to 40 points and then we'll reassess from there."

It remains to be seen whether another of Stoke's former Liverpool players, midfielder Charlie Adam, will be involved on Boxing Day after he missed Saturday's 0-0 draw at Tottenham having been granted compassionate leave following the death of his father.

*chortle* Does he even start for them?

*chortle* Does he even start for them?

He's come off the bench a couple of times IIRC and then guess what ... yep, he got injured. Apparently over the holiday program he was 'raring to go' but there were reports that Pulis 'won't risk him' which sounded a lot like Pulis had a ready made excuse to not have to come up with an excuse to Owen of why he's not picked! :D

Hate to put a dampner on things but Fullham were as bad as we were good. I don't take much from that game apart from we can play when we're allowed to.

I think a draw today, but hopefully we can nick a win which would be a great result.

Hate to put a dampner on things but Fullham were as bad as we were good. I don't take much from that game apart from we can play when we're allowed to.

I think a draw today, but hopefully we can nick a win which would be a great result.

Yep i agree, Nothing against our lads but Stoke are very hard to break down, we are still jeckle and hide so not going to put any moneu on a win today, draw seems most sensible out come, shame because we are so close to 4th and need to be winning games like these..

got a typical feel about today for me :( we'll huff and puff and theyll score with one chance and we'll lose 1-0.

we dont move the ball from back to front fast enough to hurt teams like stoke.

**** game to have on boxing day, games v stoke are the worst games in the world to watch, hopefully we'll pull something out the bag tho.

got a typical feel about today for me :( we'll huff and puff and theyll score with one chance and we'll lose 1-0.

we dont move the ball from back to front fast enough to hurt teams like stoke.

**** game to have on boxing day, games v stoke are the worst games in the world to watch, hopefully we'll pull something out the bag tho.

I think this is when Gerrard comes into the equation.

Archived