Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

I can't see how anyone can't be enthusiastic about the future whenever they hear Rodgers speak. What he's trying to change, how he's going about it and his personality and style in general are just superb.

I know we've all been taken in by people who can talk a good game before, but he clearly knows his onions.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see how anyone can't be enthusiastic about the future whenever they hear Rodgers speak. What he's trying to change, how he's going about it and his personality and style in general are just superb.

I know we've all been taken in by people who can talk a good game before, but he clearly knows his onions.

I got no problem with him I think a lot of people are worried if the board have the funds to allow Rodgers to build the squad he wants and keep the top players. I would say he was maybe a bit naive the way he set us up at the hawthorns and I would play the italian through the centre but other than that I am pleased the way he is trying to get us to play and giving youth a chance.

I got no problem with him I think a lot of people are worried if the board have the funds to allow Rodgers to build the squad he wants and keep the top players. I would say he was maybe a bit naive the way he set us up at the hawthorns and I would play the italian through the centre but other than that I am pleased the way he is trying to get us to play and giving youth a chance.

We were good against WBA in the first half though, a wonder goal and a red card is pretty hard to comeback against.

• Administrators
The bit about the midfield three was very interesting, the one and two etc etc

It's very resonant for me because it's how our first team played under Mourinho and to this day how all of our youth teams play. The switching between 1-2 and 2-1 is something I saw a lot with our U18s last season and the reasons our coach gave for that correlate with what Rodgers says. All part of a bigger picture.

I'm a huge fan of Rodgers, but most people know that anyway.

We were good against WBA in the first half though, a wonder goal and a red card is pretty hard to comeback against.

WBA could have been at least 2 goals up in the first half. I know we had more possession and Suarez missed a few half chances but WBA looked more likely to score on the counter mainly down to our mistakes and us not being able to handle their counter attack.

Can't help but be more impressed every time I hear Rodgers speak. Not just tactically astute communicator, but as a personal one.

I did get a little bit of enjoyment from hearing him talking about how the defence needed to push up to condense the space for the first goal against City though. ;)

WBA could have been at least 2 goals up in the first half. I know we had more possession and Suarez missed a few half chances but WBA looked more likely to score on the counter mainly down to our mistakes and us not being able to handle their counter attack.

Jesus Tony I bet you would have whined the 5-0 against Forest in 88 wasn't good enough, and should have been 2-3 more.

It's very resonant for me because it's how our first team played under Mourinho and to this day how all of our youth teams play. The switching between 1-2 and 2-1 is something I saw a lot with our U18s last season and the reasons our coach gave for that correlate with what Rodgers says. All part of a bigger picture.

I'm a huge fan of Rodgers, but most people know that anyway.

I suppose as the team develops they should instinctively know during the game as to whether it should be 1-2 or 2-1, without having to be told.

Actions speak louder than words.

Would agree with that - if he doesn't pick up wins then he will be under massive pressure. How many fans are going to be prepared to back him if we are in or around the bottom 3 after 10 games? I think he may need to shelve his ideologies on how to play football and adapt to what he has in the squad right now, otherwise we are going to really struggle to get results. His style of play just doesn't get the best out of either Suarez or Gerrard, and they are our 2 best attacking players. Until he can get the right players into the club to play the way he wants he must adapt his ways in the short term.

And so far he's done everything he's said.

Except buy Dempsey and Sigurdsson...

What I meant by that is that it is all very well talking a good talk, but it is the results that will decide whether some people back him.

I think Gerrard is maturing and realises he can't be the all action hero, maybe he can adapt to play for Rodgers. Maybe Suarez would be better off playing on the left wing with Borini central.

Of course.

And every defeat or every poor performance is ridiculously over-scrutinised by the fans. The kneejerk in here after the Arsenal game was comical, and it's far worse everywhere else.

Hopefully a few good performances and a few wins will put people's minds at ease. But patience is really going to be needed and expectations set accordingly.

Would agree with that - if he doesn't pick up wins then he will be under massive pressure. How many fans are going to be prepared to back him if we are in or around the bottom 3 after 10 games? I think he may need to shelve his ideologies on how to play football and adapt to what he has in the squad right now, otherwise we are going to really struggle to get results. His style of play just doesn't get the best out of either Suarez or Gerrard, and they are our 2 best attacking players. Until he can get the right players into the club to play the way he wants he must adapt his ways in the short term.

Suarez has had PLENTY of chances, you can't stick the blame on Rodgers because Suarez cant finish. If he was on 5 goals (which considering the amount of chances he's had is a perfectly reasonable amount) at the moment you wouldn't be saying it doesn't get the best out of Suarez. As for Gerrard, it might not get the best out of him but he's going to have to adapt and realise the role he prefers he can't play anymore and doesnt fit into the system.

Yeah, you need to give the guy at least 15 matches before you start considering getting rid, and maybe be content with a season where you finish around 10th (though it shouldn't come to that).

Liverpool have NEVER finished outside the top 8 of the top division for 50 years, we were european champions 7 years ago, in another final 5 years ago and got pipped to the title 3 years ago. The fans expectations at this club are rightly very high, and the mere thought of us having to settle for mid-table just isn't going to happen. People said give Roy time and after 12 or so games we were in the relegation zone and fans wanted his head on a platter, and if Rodgers is doing similar then it will happen again. All the talk will count for nothing if his team doesn't deliver, and its up to him to find a way of getting the best out of the squad he has.

Liverpool have NEVER finished outside the top 8 of the top division for 50 years, we were european champions 7 years ago, in another final 5 years ago and got pipped to the title 3 years ago. The fans expectations at this club are rightly very high, and the mere thought of us having to settle for mid-table just isn't going to happen. People said give Roy time and after 12 or so games we were in the relegation zone and fans wanted his head on a platter, and if Rodgers is doing similar then it will happen again. All the talk will count for nothing if his team doesn't deliver, and its up to him to find a way of getting the best out of the squad he has.

You know, I agree that a club with a history as rich as Liverpool's shouldn't get relegated, your squad is better than that and if after the season has got properly under way (let's face it, the table often lies after 3 matches) you look in danger of getting relegated then you would be within your rights to get rid, only a terrible manager couldn't get this team to perform. You are right to have great expectations, but maybe it is worth settling for one disappointing season if it means you can challenge Spurs and Arsenal for a Champions League place next season.

The club is never going to move forward if we keep sacking managers without giving him time to impliment his ideas.

Clever managers can implement their ideas whilst still getting the best out of the players they have, and I hope Brendan Rodgers manages to find the right balance and doesn't start trying to ask players to do things they aren't comfortable with. From what he was saying in the interview last week it seems he is prepared to adapt his way of play in the short term to get results and that is encouraging in my book.

Hodgson was a complete ****up though. He may have been working under terrible conditions towards the end of H&G's reign, but he alienated himself from half the team and also from the fans. Was never going to last. Dalglish was just as bad last season for different reasons. He (whether Commoli was more culpable or not, both were) wasted over £100m on dross, badly handed Suarezgate and was presiding over one shambles to the next on and off the field. The club took another step backwards under him.

Rodgers is going about things completely differently and is already showing a lot more in the way of potential to turn us around than the previous two managers ever did. I find it absolutely unbelievable that Rodgers and pressure are even being discussed in the same sentence, yet alone being taken seriously by anyone. He's had THREE league games, two of them against teams that finished in the top 3 last season. Some of you should be ashamed.

You know, I agree that a club with a history as rich as Liverpool's shouldn't get relegated, your squad is better than that and if after the season has got properly under way (let's face it, the table often lies after 3 matches) you look in danger of getting relegated then you would be within your rights to get rid, only a terrible manager couldn't get this team to perform. You are right to have great expectations, but maybe it is worth settling for one disappointing season if it means you can challenge Spurs and Arsenal for a Champions League place next season.

I know what you are saying but football doesn't always work like that though does it? Say we finish 10th this season, then we are left with the possibility of the top clubs coming in for our players (with no european football to offer them) and also sponsors less willing to pay top dollar to work with us. Fans become disillusioned and attendances drop, and it becomes much harder to attract the top players we would need to improve.

Its a tough balance for any manager, and its vital he finds out how to do it and fast because this league is a killer to play catch up in. I worry that our squad lacks real experience now, as well as the fact Carragher and Gerrard are clearly in decline along with Suarez and Reina being well out of form. Compounded by the fact Lucas is out for 3 months and the fact we left ourselves woefully short of attacking quality after this window and it doesn't look as positive as it should.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that Rodgers and pressure are even being discussed in the same sentence, yet alone being taken seriously by anyone. He's had THREE league games, two of them against teams that finished in the top 3 last season. Some of you should be ashamed.

Thats what happens at the big clubs - the expectation is massive. It's the way the game works in these modern times, and whilst I don't always agree with it its a fact of life that he will be under pressure if he doesn't get results soon. That's why I hope he can balance the expectation with implementing his own ideas. The owners and Ian Ayre's shambolic display on deadline day didn't help him though, so it would be a bit rich if they started putting any pressure on Rodgers.

It's different to Hodgson. I trust in at least a decent chunk of the fans being football intelligent and seeing that Rodgers talks sense, knows what he's doing and has a workable, modern plan that will take time. The trust in Rodgers feels far higher than it did with Hodgson. Hodgson started off on the wrong foot as a massively unpopular decision to begin with whereas with BR it felt mostly positive from the day his was appointed. He will be given a full season at least.

Completely agree with what DP said.

Rodgers has got at least three seasons I reckon. Regardless of team position. Obviously not including the relegation zone.

It'd be nice if it worked like that, but if Liverpool do finish tenth (or worse) then surely there would a huge group of fans calling for his head and a huge amount of pressure on the owners?

It'd be nice if it worked like that, but if Liverpool do finish tenth (or worse) then surely there would a huge group of fans calling for his head and a huge amount of pressure on the owners?

They'd be the same ******* who called for Rafa to go then. I don't mind a regression in results if it means I'm seeing progression in the team's ability and tactics. I'm fairly confident that regression in results would be short term, and not an indication we're going backwards in the long term.

He's a young and possibly the best British talent at the moment, sacking him would be wrong.. at least wait untill the whole squad is his, i think we are where we are based on the lack of quality we have... fact is Liverpool dont have the finance to compete with other big clubs above us so how the owners expect him to challenge for the league under there ownership baffles me..

Even if we get back on form after a few years, the squad continues to be invested in and Rodgers gradually works his magic, we're still never going to be guaranteed top 4. Our finances are just not going to be in that position and building a new stadium (if it ever happens) is going to cost us big time and take decades to reap any rewards.

It's not just a case of giving Rodgers a season or two before we're then up there again, the competition is ridiculously harder now.

Even if we get back on form after a few years, the squad continues to be invested in and Rodgers gradually works his magic, we're still never going to be guaranteed top 4. Our finances are just not going to be in that position and building a new stadium (if it ever happens) is going to cost us big time and take decades to reap any rewards.

It's not just a case of giving Rodgers a season or two before we're then up there again, the competition is ridiculously harder now.

Echo, very true.. If we get the 60,000 capacity stadium that will help. i think Arsenal are 20 mill per season better off than us from the extra seats they have alone.. The Arsenal board still say they cant compete in the transfer market.. is the fair play rule likely to help..?

Archived