What's that? A new Wishlist Thread? What you would like to see in future FM versions.

very friendly comment :thdn:

If that's how you took it. It wasn't intended that way, I'm just telling you what an API is likely to be. It's not a way to play the game, it's just exposing data points from the database so that the community can do something with that. Think of it like how SI expose the graphics so that people can add their own kits/logos etc, only in reverse.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about absolutely zero time spent on "improving" the 3D match engine, adding new celebrations, perfecting the little 3D representation of managers, subs, fourth officials, every single individual supporter, and their dogs. As little time as is feasibly possible on changing the UI yet again. No more time on the Manager Interaction function that will become repetitive, inconsistent, and hazardous to one's squad morale based on a wink and a flutter.

I'd like to see every available development minute put into not having the likes of Arsenal, Southampton, Tottenham, or Liverpool around the relegation places every season after a half a year. Or Ajax, Juventus, Bayern or Atletico Madrid dropping off completely into midtable after a season. Sort out this mental system of Club Reputations skyrocketing on the back of one good season (Hull City were up to 'Continental' rep by 2017, as a particularly jarring example).

Fix the idiot AI managers who sign utterly mediocre players for 'elite' clubs (just noticed PSG signed a 27 year old James bloody McCarthy from - Championship - Newcastle and it really is the last straw).

Stop crap managers turning up at the same club a couple of seasons after being sacked.

Stop middling managers getting top teir/elite jobs. Tottenham wanted to hire Robbie Neilson, of the mighty Heart of Midlothian (with respect), to replace Mauricio Pochettino.

And/Or

Stop unrealistic managerial sackings/appointments (e. g. Whitey Anderson leaving Ballinamallard Utd for no reason, which is IRL never going to happen, or Stephen Baxter taking a job in the Championship 1).

Basically, fix the AI squad building and stop having AI managers who are thick. Fix the realism before wasting time on cosmetic details like trophy celebrations. seeing stuff going on that simply does not happen in real life ruins my games, and I'm currently in the National League.

PLEASE. I'm begging you.

Give us the option to tell both footed players which foot to use for corners. I want inswinging corners, but often my best cornertakers have no preference so just make it up as they go along. Players actually following a 'Short free kicks' instruction would be nice to. Free kick stats are so bad in the National League that they're just a waste of a chance to shoot.

EDIT: Oh, and if the researchers could work out that it's 'Northern Ireland', not 'N.Ireland' and 'Republic of Ireland' not 'Ireland', that'd be just fantastic. In fact, that one is a really easy fix. Maybe allot one minute to that cosmetic detail.

Thanks.

I'd like to see every available development minute put into not having the likes of Arsenal, Southampton, Tottenham, or Liverpool around the relegation places every season after a half a year. Or Ajax, Juventus, Bayern or Atletico Madrid dropping off completely into midtable after a season.

There must be something really odd in your setup to make Bayern and Juventus in particular sink that low. Every single save I've started has seen those two in particular go on spells of domination in their respective countries. Bayern won 40 in a row.

There must be something really odd in your setup to make Bayern and Juventus in particular sink that low. Every single save I've started has seen those two in particular go on spells of domination in their respective countries. Bayern won 40 in a row.

The likes of Juve/Bayern have come back into the mix in the second half of my most reason season. Arsenal/Spurs seem like they will never recover, and Southampton are genuinely going to get relegated unless Eddie Howe works a wonder.

Ajax are the worst though. Perennial 7th doldrums, with PSV, while Vitesse clean up.

What I don't understand is why it happens. They sign duff payers no matter who the manager and it isn't like I'm affecting them with my efforts to get Oxford City into the Football League.

The likes of Juve/Bayern have come back into the mix in the second half of my most reason season. Arsenal/Spurs seem like they will never recover, and Southampton are genuinely going to get relegated unless Eddie Howe works a wonder.

Ajax are the worst though. Perennial 7th doldrums, with PSV, while Vitesse clean up.

What I don't understand is why it happens. They sign duff payers no matter who the manager and it isn't like I'm affecting them with my efforts to get Oxford City into the Football League.

It happens on my save as well, especially in the Premier League. Clubs buy players for tens of millions of Euro and then slot them directly into the reserves without having given them a single game for the first team.

It happens on my save as well, especially in the Premier League. Clubs buy players for tens of millions of Euro and then slot them directly into the reserves without having given them a single game for the first team.

Aaaargh! Yep, exactly that as well. Especially annoying when you see teams signing players for big fees who are guaranteed to either not get games (and, in FM15, get unreversably unhappy within weeks) or stuck in the reserves.

The AI is atrocious, it's become unplayable after barely a few seasons.

Another issue I have just been reminded of - Messi and Ronaldo never posting the sort of numbers they do in real life. 30 goals each, great performances, but nothing like their 60-goal seasons. Ronaldo being so much lesser than Messi come to that.

Also anyone but those two winning the Balon D'Or ...

Introducing 'Narratives' - Suggestion for future FM (Long post!)

Having thought about this for a while, I wish to suggest the introduction of what I call "narratives" into FM.

In real life, NARRATIVES are now a part of the modern game. The media and us as consumers of the beautiful game are constantly in search for narratives. This is what changes the concept of 22 grown-up men kicking a ball around into a passion that is more important than life and death. This is why we love and hate players and managers.

The idea of introducing narratives into FM is to make the game more fun to play, more personal and immerse the player more into the game.

What I mean by narratives is that stories will evolve in the game and have a buffing or de-buffing effect on players, staff, teams and fans. The narrative lasts for a longer period of time until it runs it course or is resolved. The narrative will tie media and fans closer to the proceedings of a club. For me, the narratives should be a constant presence over a certain situation and create more unique and diverse experiences when playing the game and starting different saves. Narratives can be both positive or negative and sometimes they can be both at the same time or a gray zone, meaning it will come down to personal taste or even situation-based. Before a narrative becomes active it will be 'brewing' meaning that the player will be able to see what narratives are gaining momentum in media and among fans. Whether the player wants to change course in order to avoid a narrative is up to the him/her.

Examples of narratives that could give the game more flavor (Disclaimer: I have tried to include examples from world football but there is an emphasis on Liverpool and England here - sorry!):

- 'Departure of a world class player'. Example, Suarez leaving Liverpool would create the narrative at Liverpool of replacing a world class player. Media and fans will eagerly be following the search for a new 'messiah'. The narrative will place scrutiny on the Liverpool transfers and incoming players might be under increased pressure. Other examples: C Ronaldo leaving United, De Gea leaving United (potentially), Zidane leaving Juve for Real.

- 'Departure of an Icon'. Example, Gerrard finally leaving Liverpool. Speculation about his future and finally his decision followed by departure of the iconic leader would be a narrative that would lie like a heavy fog over Anfield in the 14/15 season. Other examples are Pirlo and Zidane leaving or retiring. The speculation and the eventual decision made by club and/or player will be part of a narrative spanning at least 12 months. After the icon leaves a new narrative will start where the uncertainty of life without the icon is at its peak.

- 'Searching for identity'. A club entering a new era after appointing a new manager, a new board or having had iconic players leave the club will enter a narrative of searching for the club's new identity. Will the team play attacking och defensive football? What new stars will be born at the club? This narrative can last for a short or a long term depending on how things play out. As an example, Liverpool are still 3 years after appointing Rodgers searching for its identity as the team have lost key players every summer (Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling) and played different football each season (#1 possession-based, #2 counter attack #3 low-tempo false 9). The 'searching for identity' narrative may effect both on the pitch and off the pitch matters.

- 'The return of a hero' Example, the return of Mourinho to England. Exectations and media coverage will increase. Chelsea will now be under the narrative of playing a certain football and that the manager is actually bigger than any player at Chelsea as long as the narrative lasts. This positive narrative can be a carrot to sign players dear to fans. If the returning star fails however, the narrative may add pressure to the club and manager.

- 'World cup year'. Players make slightly different choices in order to make sure they are in the starting 11 of their respective nations. The narrative will span over 12 months, starting one year before the finals. The footballing world will eat and breath international football and world cup fever is truly spreading. Young international stars become hot transfer targets (Sterling, Barkley, James Rodriguez).

- 'Monumental individual event'. Things happen on football pitches and they are not forgotten, especially when millions are watching. These events should cause huge narratives that will simply not go away! Some of the most famous events that will follow players careers are: Zidane red card in WC final (headbutt a bit hard to code into game), Gerrard slip (defensive mistake that cost title), Waddle, Southgate, Batty penalty misses for the national team in later stages of WC/Euro finals, Maradona wonder goal at WC against England, violent acts (Cantona kung-fu, Keane v Haaland), Emotional overload (Gazza's tears). I know this is hard to put in the game but due to its impact, I think it is worth a go.

- 'Monumental club events'. Powerful narratives that last for multiple seasons should be introduced for club events that changes the club's history. Examples are Liverpool winning the CL 2005 by coming back from 0-3, Wigan winning the FA cup an getting relegated, Atletico Madrid winning La Liga and almost winning the CL in the same season against all odds, Greece winning the Euro 2004, Ajax winning the CL 1995, Arsenal going unbeaten in the league in 03/04, Sweden and Croatia picking up bronze medals at WC finals. These events have a huge impact on the clubs/countries and will serve to help the player of FM to be more immersed into the game world rather than winning the CL with, say, Ajax and get a notification in the inbox that the board is ecstatic and then back to normal.

- 'Humiliations'. It happens now and then that clubs and countries lose in a way that is unacceptable. Examples are Barca v Real 5-0 in 2009, Stoke v Liverpool 6-1 in 2015, South Korea v Italy 2-1 2002, Man U v Man City 1-6 2011. These kind of results cause short-lived narratives that questions the skill and loyalty of manager and players.

- 'Team lacks X'. This negative narrative will come into play when the consensus among fans and media is that a team lacks something specific. Examples of X could be: goal-scoring threat, pace, leadership, defensive stability, spine (top class GK-DC-MC-SC), mental strength, motivation, physical presence, flair (i e entertainment value). This narrative will be brewing for sometime before blooming. The manager might be wise to avert this narrative as it will place a lot of emphasis on a particular issue and cause unrest and loss of confidence. For example, a few years ago there was a narrative that Arsenal lacked 'defensive stability' and 'mental strength'. Last season, the Man U narrative was that the team lacked 'pace', something LVG may have corrected by signing Depay. Other examples from the top of my head: Liverpool (goal scoring threat 14/15) and Chelsea (flair, a few seasons ago).

- 'Team has X'. This positive narrative will come into play when the consensus among fans and media is that a team is showing immense strength in a particular area. Examples of X could be: goal-scoring threat, pace, leadership, defensive stability, spine (top class GK-DC-MC-SC), mental strength, motivation, physical presence, flair (i e entertainment). Examples are Stoke under Pulis (physical presence), Chelsea currently under Mourinho (spine), Arsenal currently (flair), Barcelona currently (flair).

- 'Huge personalities'. Some players become more famous for who they are than what they actually have accomplished on the pitch. These narratives should be powerful and cause both joy and headache for fans and managers. Examples are Beckham and Balotelli and the narratives will stay with the players throughout their careers. Buying a player under such a narrative is always a risk but it can pay off big time too.

- 'Massive fees'. World football is full of huge transfers going either right or wrong. This would create a very powerful narrative where player and fans are really affected by the huge media coverage of the transfer. If the transfer goes right the player and the club will be empowered by the huge transfer and the deal will be seen as a beast flexing its muscles. If the transfer does not work out however, the narrative will quickly escalate into a whirlpool of speculation and pressure.

Examples of failed transfers where the narrative probably put so much pressure on the player that failure was on the cards: Torres 50M, Lentini (13M in 1992), Shevshenko (30M), Carroll (35M), Di Maria (59M), Veron (28M), Denilson (21M, 1998).

Examples of hugely successful transfers where the narrative turned into a marquee signing and icon of the new club: Nesta (21M 2002 Milan), C Ronaldo (80M Real), Ronaldo (fat) (30M 2002 Real), Zidane (46M 2001 Real), Crespo (35M 2000 Lazio), Rooney (27M, 2004 Man U), Hazard (32M Chelsea), Drogba (24M 2004 Chelsea) and Aguero (38M City). What about Suarez (65M) winning the CL in his first season? The narrative is there but is slowly turning into a positive narrative.

Jury's still out on some players (narrative ongoing), for example Sterling (49M City), Bale (78M Real), James Rodriguez (63M Real) and perhaps David Luiz (50M PSG).

- 'Transfer rumor'. This is a powerful narrative that has mostly a negative effect on players where "someone whispers in their ear", players have their heads turned and/or players not having the head in the right place to even play anymore for the current club. The narrative has a negative effect on the club as the rumors just won't go away. For example, knowing that De Gea at some point will go to Real (in 7 days, 12 months or 3 years - who knows?) may make Man U want to sell in order to get rid of the narrative. The Suarez situation before he moved to Barcelona was going on for at least 12 months. Sterling and Liverpool came under this narrative early in 2015 and to what extent it damaged the on-pitch performances, no one knows for sure, but what we know is that it dragged on for 6 months. Cabaye and Newcastle is another ugly example when Arsenal came sniffing. When Liverpool bought Benteke this summer, this narrative became obsolete by Liverpool paying the minimum fee release clause. Otherwise it too could have dragged on to deadline day with ugliness surely to be ensued.

- 'A hated chairman/an insanely rich oil sheik'. Ashley or Mubarak. The narrative will lie like a wet blanket over a club and media and fans will put immense pressure on a club under a controversial leadership. This will effect attendances, player pulling power, merchandise and of course manager appointments. This is already in the game, but if the narrative was made clearer, it would be more fun to play and the AI decisions would be more understandable.

- 'Giants not having won trophies'. Liverpool have never won the PL and Arsenal went a decade without a trophy. This pressure is almost non-existent in FM today whereas in real life, the media and the fans talk about this all the time. Now, Arsenal have won two straight FA cups and the narrative would be removed as "that monkey is now off their back".

- 'X have not won Y trophy'. Some players and managers will suffer from lack of silverware as this discredits their pedigree. One example is Rodgers starting his 4th year at Liverpool having never won a trophy either at LFC or elsewhere. The narrative will be brewing and in 12 months go into full bloom, surely. Gerrard never won the PL. Ibrahimovic has never won the CL which he is constantly reminded of in the media.

- 'X has won a plethora of trophies'. A positive narrative that a player can gain if he constantly seems to play for teams winning trophies. The best example of this is Ibrahimovic who has won 26 major trophies playing for Ajax, Juventus, Inter, Barcelona, Milan, PSG, of which 12 are league wins in 14 years. Having a player with this narrative will inspire confidence into any team.

-'Class of '92'. When a group of players come through the ranks at any club to become successful first team players they will create a positive narrative for themselves (a buff when playing together). This is rare in real life but it happens -- United (Scholes, Becks, Butt, Neville x2, Giggs) or the Ajax team of '95 (Kluivert, Overmars, De Boer x2, Davids, Seedorf) or Barcelona under Guardiola fielding La Masia players (Messi, Iniesta, Xavi). In FM, I am sure many player managers develop their young players into stars and then this kind of narrative would be immensely satisfying.

'Partnerships'. I cannot stress how cool I think this would be. This can be 2-4 players forming a unit that is far greater than its parts. The narrative will buff their perfomances through confidence and fans will love the duo, trio or quartet. Examples are:

- Back fours of Arsenal (Dixon, Bould, Adams, Winterburn) and Milan (Tassotti, Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini) in the 90s.

- Striker partnerships working best together like Vialli&Mancini, Toshack&Keegan, Shearer&Sutton, Henry&Bergkamp .

- Trios: Neymar-Messi-Suarez could with time form a narrative and probably have already after their 2015 CL win. The narrative could be brewing for a little bit longer before coming into play. I read an article the other day of Man U now wanting to find their trio in Rooney-Depay-X, where X is yet to be revealed. Find the golden triangle and make them gel and you will be rewarded by a powerful narrative.

- Central defense partnerships. A huge buff for them playing together after they have gelled over a longer period of time and been successful. Examples, Pallister&Bruce, Terry&Carvalho.

- Yin&Yang partnerships made in heaven like Gerrard&Torres.

- National bonds like the Dutchmen at AC Milan (Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten) or the French legion at Arsenal (Henry, Pires, Petit etc) will create a narrative that increases the bond between club and country for various buffs and debuffs.

- Player v Manager partnership. In some rare instances, players and managers develop bonds so strong that it becomes a narrative. This narrative will play more of a background role but might come into play when deciding how to treat the player or if to sell/release him. Having a captain in your team that is under this narrative can be extremely powerful as the trust and loyalty between the player and manager is very strong. Examples are Terry and Mourinho.

'Rivalries'. This can be expanded on as a narrative because when you are in charge of a club with intense rivals, then the rivalry will cause a narrative, and this is hugely affected by what the rival club does. For example, being in charge of Man U, the rivalry narrative will change depending on how Man City and Liverpool are doing. If they sign a world class player, pressure will be on you. If they win a trophy, the narrative will turn the cameras on you to respond (even if there is nothing you can do about it!). If Liverpool are struggling year after year, the narrative will work in your favour as the Man U manager as you are doing well in comparison. In real life, one can imagine that one of the factors that saved Rodgers' job at LFC this summer was indeed that Everton were doing terribly and that United did not win the league. On an international level, this could also play out so that for England if Germany win the WC, the FA will scrutiny what England is doing wrong on a broader level and might implement changes, like trying to copy their youth set-up (cue Scudamore and his dossier).

Other narratives that I will just throw out there for others to potentially expand upon are:

- 'Minnow promoted to higher/highest?) division'. Swansea, Bournemouth, Hoffenheim.

- 'Fallen giant' narrative. Deportivo, Leeds, Bradford (it is all relative!), Kaiserslautern, River Plate a few years ago, AEK Athens.

- 'Yo-yo club' narrative (promotion and relegation club, e g Watford and Bolton)

- 'Selling club' narrative (Arsenal 5 years ago, Liverpool today)

- 'Producer of talent' narrative (historic success in developing talent increases interest and sale values of talent produced, e g Udinese, Ajax, Auxerre, Nantes, Brommapojkarna, Barcelona)

- 'Stepping stone' narrative. Certain players will move on to bigger things when the time is right. If a player gains the stepping stone narrative it might hurt the current club in terms of club stature. Examples are Suarez, Fabregas and De Gea always being destined to return to one of two big clubs in Spain. Another way for this narrative to come into play is if a young highly promising player signs for a club that inevitably is too small for him but he signs knowing it is just a stepping stone, like Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham.

'Brewing narratives' are narratives that the game starts to build up but that are not yet in play. The player can find information on 'brewing narratives' and try to get them into play or try to hinder them (if it is a negative narrative). For example, the front three at Barcelona are starting to form a narrative and the manager may want to play them together more and more in order for them to score more and win more trophies together in order for the narrative to go into full bloom. Other brewing narratives could be if a defensive pairing is starting to rake in clean sheets or if a rival is starting to win league titles. Another brewing narrative could be if a set of youth players are starting to play together for the senior team (e g Kane, Bentaleb, Mason at Spurs). Being able to convert a brewing narrative into a full narrative can be very powerful and playing the media and commit to mind games can affect this. For the Spurs trio above for example, constantly bigging them up in the media may help the narrative to come into play.

A big club/country will likely have several narratives going on at the same time and it will be important for the manager to manage these as well as possible. For example, you have a player who has a monumental individual narrative hanging over him (say after missing the decisive penalty in a WC semi-final) but he is part of a narrative 'partnership'. At the same time he is under a 'huge personality' narrative due to being an iconic social media personality. How do you handle this?

Combinations of narratives will as a consequence play an important role; Another scenario that will regularly play out is that you are approaching the 'Departure of an Icon' narrative as your star player will is likely to leave for, say, the MLS in 12 months. The narrative is currently brewing and the media is starting to ask questions. Will you go out and spend 40M on a similar albeit 10 years younger star player with the 'massive fee' narrative surely to come into effect? Do you feel confident that the transfer will work out?

In order to keep the narratives from being just sentences stated after each other in a row, I suggest their interaction if possible to be represented in a graph. Perhaps similar to the displayable hexagon (?) in the player profile page where different attributes are showing strengths and weaknesses of a player. The collective attributes could be summarized as "controversy", "pressure", "fans happiness", "stability", "player power" and "world status". Details to be ironed out.

Finally, in line with board philosophies, I suggest that the player can choose with sliders what the current policies at the club should be and this will then directly affect how likely and how severely the narratives hit. In a huge club like Real Madrid narratives may be diminshed by the strong overall structure of the club whereas at a growing club like Man City status enhancing narratives will be welcomed and here narratives might have a much stronger influence (for better of worse) on the future of the club. Examples of these sliders can be policies on player use of social media where tough policies reduce chances of some narratives and lenient policies increase chances of narratives happening but also increase the clubs stature if all goes well. Another policy slider could be if transfer conducted by the club in general are done in a very proper way (higher fees but less drama) or in a dirty way (lower fees, more drama). One can also imagine a slider where the clubs promotes rivalries to increase exposure and rivalry narratives or if the slider is set more towards less rivalry where the club states that every game is worth 3 p and it is qualification for X that matters, not petty rivalry. The screen could then be concluded by the player being able to use master slider whether the club will be resisting narratives by being stoic and nipping them in the bud effectively weaken the narrative factors or more welcoming to the many flavors of football by letting narratives go quicker from brewing status to in bloom status.

Player reactions to being moved between squads not triggered until the continue button has been hit. I'd add the removing players from NT squad. Reason for this is that some times, when I get the first day in a club, always think that dumping a group or all players in a reserve team and then choosing who I want for the first team or cleaning the NT squad would speed or ease the process of choosing; but then they get angry even if I repromoted them to first squad immediately. ICly it would be as if I was working on my computer with the list of players and squads and not actually doing it, then when I hit continue is when I deliver the changes to the team to be executed.

Narratives were introduced a few versions back, so now the press will persistently ask questions that fit certain themes. Some good ideas there though, and it's a feature that can and likely will be developed further.

The 'Inside Forward' role should indeed make it's return to the 'Attacking midfielder(Centre)[AMC]' position. The inside forward is the opposite of the outside forward(Winger). While a winger serves as a wide dribbler - some sort of a wide advanced forward - The inside forward serves more of a second striker that's bending in position toward the flanks but narrow nonetheless; that in complete contrast to the tactic creator's tip, describing the IF as a wide player bending to the middle. As such the inside forward should be ideally used in an AMCR\L position, But it's no longer available at said position since FM14. Bring the IF back to it's true position, SI, for the sake of any future FM player positioning Lionel Messi as an AMCR.

Two Small things that I would like included next year are:

1. On the player profile screen, I would like "player preferred moves" to be an option for one of the boxes. You can pick fitness, season stats, coach report, etc... but having to click over to the information tab to see PPMs is really frustrating. This is especially tiresome when you are scouting lots of players and you have to make all those extra clicks using your laptop touchpad. I download a new skin every year just because of this.

2. On the player and staff search screen, I would like for more information to be searchable. For example, personality and preferred formation need to criteria to search by. I was trying to find a u18 head coach that played a 4-3-3 narrow because I have a lot of talented STs and MCs in the youth squad, but since I couldn't search by preferred formation, I ended up clicking randomly through what felt like hundreds of coaches.

Must confess even as it's not major in the scheme of things an opportunity to change a kit design or at the very least colours of away kit and home kit shorts and socks each season would keep the match screen a little fresher. Some Clubs IRL change their away shirts colours each year for instance and if some sort of choice was given regarding either design or colours it would mean that we wouldn't have to watch the same kit style/colours year in year out!! I know that there is an in game editor that might do it but I play FMC and there isn't an editor so something that you could choose would be refreshing.

Also I was thinking about difficulty levels earlier. I don't think you need it but what would help players of all experience is something that would actually correctly tell us what position a player plays best in. It is very ambiguous as it stands on the player screen and if what I have read is correct it also doesn't really help much and if you actually know 100% that Gabriel Barbosa plays best as a F9 and Carlos Fierro plays best as a DLF (just examples) then at least you have some sort of starting point in creating a tactic. Of course I suspect experimentation and flicking through all sorts of stats and attributes is a preference for some so maybe it could be something you can choose to be shown at the start of each game but I do think it would help an awful lot to know what a players strongest position and role is.

Must confess even as it's not major in the scheme of things an opportunity to change a kit design or at the very least colours of away kit and home kit shorts and socks each season would keep the match screen a little fresher. Some Clubs IRL change their away shirts colours each year for instance and if some sort of choice was given regarding either design or colours it would mean that we wouldn't have to watch the same kit style/colours year in year out!! I know that there is an in game editor that might do it but I play FMC and there isn't an editor so something that you could choose would be refreshing.

Have you tried fan made 3d kits? In-match kit design and kit colours can be changed by using them, but I must admit that I'm not sure if they work on FMC - though surely the match graphics are largely the same as in the full game?

My wish is that team colours (text and background) would be made changeable via *.edt files like they used to be many game versions ago (other non-editor ways to change colours mid-save would be fine as well ;)).

Please can we have youth/development coaches as an option when trying to hire staff, having to trawl through all the coaches offering contracts just to see if they are 1st team or youth coaches is such a pain.

The 'Inside Forward' role should indeed make it's return to the 'Attacking midfielder(Centre)[AMC]' position. The inside forward is the opposite of the outside forward(Winger). While a winger serves as a wide dribbler - some sort of a wide advanced forward - The inside forward serves more of a second striker that's bending in position toward the flanks but narrow nonetheless; that in complete contrast to the tactic creator's tip, describing the IF as a wide player bending to the middle. As such the inside forward should be ideally used in an AMCR\L position, But it's no longer available at said position since FM14. Bring the IF back to it's true position, SI, for the sake of any future FM player positioning Lionel Messi as an AMCR.

Messi is not an Inside Forward though is he? I'd rather rate him as a False Nine, maybe even a Second Striker.

And I agree with SI completely about how the Inside Forward is being used in FM and I do not agree AT ALL that an Inside Forward is a center player that bends towards the flank. It is the exact opposite. In my humble opinion, an Inside Forward is in essence just a winger that's put on the opposite flank of his favorite foot, and therefore cuts inside more often than outside when 1 vs 1 versus a wingback, to be able to shoot. Whereas a winger goes around a wingback to the sideline when 1 vs 1 with a wingback to be able to cross with his favorite foot. Of course the differences are a little more subtle than that, but I think that this is the jest of it. Besides, you also have to think about their defensive responsibilities. An Inside Forward IRL has to track back with the oppositions wingback when not in possession (just like a winger), therefore imho his basic position is on the flank, not in the center.

To me, defining an Inside Forward as an AMC makes no sense whatsoever. That's just a Second Striker, nothing more nothing less.

Messi is not an Inside Forward though is he? I'd rather rate him as a False Nine, maybe even a Second Striker.

And I agree with SI completely about how the Inside Forward is being used in FM and I do not agree AT ALL that an Inside Forward is a center player that bends towards the flank. It is the exact opposite. In my humble opinion, an Inside Forward is in essence just a winger that's put on the opposite flank of his favorite foot, and therefore cuts inside more often than outside when 1 vs 1 versus a wingback, to be able to shoot. Whereas a winger goes around a wingback to the sideline when 1 vs 1 with a wingback to be able to cross with his favorite foot. Of course the differences are a little more subtle than that, but I think that this is the jest of it. Besides, you also have to think about their defensive responsibilities. An Inside Forward IRL has to track back with the oppositions wingback when not in possession (just like a winger), therefore imho his basic position is on the flank, not in the center.

To me, defining an Inside Forward as an AMC makes no sense whatsoever. That's just a Second Striker, nothing more nothing less.

An Inside forward is called as such because he is positioned in an acutely-wide deep forward position(you may call it AMCR\L area). He is not positioned at wide forward positions. he is not a wide player who cuts inside(as much as it fits the name of the role, this is not the case). The IF is a second striker positioned a bit wider. It is not an opinion of mine, it's an historical fact of football tactics. Thats how the role is used in this magical land called reality beyond the FM logic. But FM is intended to be realistic and accurate. The inside forward is not used in an accurate fashion since FM14.

An Inside forward is called as such because he is positioned in an acutely-wide deep forward position(you may call it AMCR\L area). He is not positioned at wide forward positions. he is not a wide player who cuts inside(as much as it fits the name of the role, this is not the case). The IF is a second striker positioned a bit wider. It is not an opinion of mine, it's an historical fact of football tactics. Thats how the role is used in this magical land called reality beyond the FM logic. But FM is intended to be realistic and accurate. The inside forward is not used in an accurate fashion since FM14.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_forward

MullerF9 is right about the IF, I'd say..

I don't think that the Wikipedia page is very relevant. That was a time when they played with 5 forwards, we don't do that anymore.

If you take a contemporary formation with 2 advanced players on the wings, let's say either 4231, or 433, you have one player on each flank. If such a player is instructed (or has the natural instinct) to roam to the center during possession, he in my opinion is an inside forward in the current context of tactics. On paper the position of inside forward doesn't really exist anymore, and imho an inside roaming flank player is the closest you can get to an inside forward at the current state of tactics that teams use. History is fine and all, but the game has changed and so do the positions and the instructions that come with those positions.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I have two suggestions.

1) When starting, or becoming unemployed, to have the ability to go on holiday until the manager's position at 'club x' becomes available - maybe at 2, 3 or four clubs.

2) I mentioned this last year - but when a penalty is awarded, to see a replay of the incident that the ref blew up for could be useful to determine if the defenders action warrants nothing or a warning or fine by the club.

Norman

I don't think that the Wikipedia page is very relevant. That was a time when they played with 5 forwards, we don't do that anymore.

If you take a contemporary formation with 2 advanced players on the wings, let's say either 4231, or 433, you have one player on each flank. If such a player is instructed (or has the natural instinct) to roam to the center during possession, he in my opinion is an inside forward in the current context of tactics. On paper the position of inside forward doesn't really exist anymore, and imho an inside roaming flank player is the closest you can get to an inside forward at the current state of tactics that teams use. History is fine and all, but the game has changed and so do the positions and the instructions that come with those positions.

Well then why calling him an inside forward? The real-life inside forward is not the same as the FM's inside-roaming-flank player, because the IF is not a flank player.

Aside from that, it doesn't matter that it's a hasbeen role. The role known as the Inside Forward in real life football is different from how it is portrayed by FM.

From my understanding, the roaming-flank-player you are speaking of is a Raumdeuter. He has 'move into channels' and 'roam from positions' automatically active, just like how you described it. But even in the RMD's case FM is wrong in description. "The Raumdeuter does not need technique but instead relies on off the ball movements, like some sort of a wide poacher." What a way of misinforming players. Every player positioned out-wide needs technique, even Thomas Muller(who I find to play best as an F9 hence my name) had to adapt and develop his technique. Beforehand he played as a classic second-striker.

Basically my conclusion from this remains a bit the same - The Inside Forward is not suitable for wide forward positions. It should be used on an AMCR\L positions. The Standard role for a wide forward(or 'roaming-flank-player') should be the Raumdeuer. The description for BOTH roles should be changed to be more accurate.

Well let me put it this way. In my opinion, Arjen Robben is the perfect example of an Inside Forward, or the way I interpret that position, when he plays for Holland. On paper he plays on the flank, and he backtracks wingbacks when necessary. But practically, when the team is in possession, he roams to the second striker area to take shots or to penetrate the penalty box and score goals. I would not describe him as a Raumdeuter, which is quite a new term anyway that wasn't even used yet when Robben started playing the way he did. I also consider, in compliance with my interpretation of the term Inside Forward, players like David Villa at Barca, Mane at Southampton and Pienaar at Everton Inside Forwards, just to name a few examples.

And of course it matters that it was a 'hasbeen-position'. Definitions and interpretations change over time, to be able to apply them to the current context.

In FM the AMR or AML is just a lable anyway. If you give them the role of Inside Forward, they will in fact play at the AMRC or AMLC position during possession.

The term Raumdeuter is imho much to specific to be used as an instruction in FM, I've always said that. The term Raumdeuter was invented by Müller himself, to describe his instinct of finding space, especially in the penalty box. I don't consider that a role, a position or an instruction or whatever. I just consider that a quality, the quality to be able to roam and find space without the ball. That's the way Müller describes it himself anyway. The way Müller describes it, it's not necessarily linked to a certain position.

Well let me put it this way. In my opinion, Arjen Robben is the perfect example of an Inside Forward, or the way I interpret that position, when he plays for Holland. On paper he plays on the flank, and he backtracks wingbacks when necessary. But practically, when the team is in possession, he roams to the second striker area to take shots or to penetrate the penalty box and score goals. I would not describe him as a Raumdeuter, which is quite a new term anyway that wasn't even used yet when Robben started playing the way he did. I also consider, in compliance with my interpretation of the term Inside Forward, players like David Villa at Barca, Mane at Southampton and Pienaar at Everton Inside Forwards, just to name a few examples.

And of course it matters that it was a 'hasbeen-position'. Definitions and interpretations change over time, to be able to apply them to the current context.

In FM the AMR or AML is just a lable anyway. If you give them the role of Inside Forward, they will in fact play at the AMRC or AMLC position during possession.

The term Raumdeuter is imho much to specific to be used as an instruction in FM, I've always said that. The term Raumdeuter was invented by Müller himself, to describe his instinct of finding space, especially in the penalty box. I don't consider that a role, a position or an instruction or whatever. I just consider that a quality, the quality to be able to find space. That's the way Müller describes it himself anyway. The way Müller describes it, it's not necessarily linked to a certain position.

I highlighted the most critical mistake. They don't play like that. In order for the role to be utilised properly they need to roam to that position. Instead they are out-wide, only they cut inside with the ball; Basically they are inside only when they have the ball. That's not how an inside forward acts like. Maybe SI connected the terms 'Cut Inside' with 'Inside Forward'. If they did, they made a crucial mistake in programming the role's behaviour. Robben acts exactly like how the IF acts in FM, but he his not an inside forward in real life. He is essentially a winger with freedom to do whatever he likes with the ball.

which reminds me that in reality the winger doesn't always stays stuck with the ball wide like it does in FM. Another mistake by SI.

I highlighted the most critical mistake. They don't play like that. In order for the role to be utilised properly they need to roam to that position. Instead they are out-wide, only they cut inside with the ball; Basically they are inside only when they have the ball. That's not how an inside forward acts like. Maybe SI connected the terms 'Cut Inside' with 'Inside Forward'. If they did, they made a crucial mistake in programming the role's behaviour. Robben acts exactly like how the IF acts in FM, but he his not an inside forward in real life. He is essentially a winger with freedom to do whatever he likes with the ball.

which reminds me that in reality the winger doesn't always stays stuck with the ball wide like it does in FM. Another mistake by SI.

I don't know what Robben plays like for Bayern, but when he plays for Holland he does not play like a winger, not at all. He's basically a second striker that's (mostly) only playing out wide when tracking back a wingback. He always plays 'off-center', slightly to the left or the right, wherever the space is.

And I do not agree with your descriptions of FM's positioning of wingers and inside forwards. My wingers cut inside quite often, with and without ball, and my inside forwards roam quite a lot in the center actually. But that all depends on your team instructions and the fluidity of your tactics.

I don't know what Robben plays like for Bayern, but when he plays for Holland he does not play like a winger, not at all. He's basically a second striker that's (mostly) only playing out wide when tracking back a wingback. He always plays 'off-center', slightly to the left or the right, wherever the space is.

And I do not agree with your descriptions of FM's positioning of wingers and inside forwards. My wingers cut inside quite often, with and without ball, and my inside forwards roam quite a lot in the center actually. But that all depends on your team instructions and the fluidity of your tactics.

Fluidity counts for nothing in the match engine. The ME is relying on rigid attack patterns and strict animations which throws fluidity out the window.

I don't know what patch you're playing with(I play 15.3.2) that your IF are acting like they "should" be but it's not the case for me. And I always tell them to roam.

Fluidity counts for nothing in the match engine. The ME is relying on rigid attack patterns and strict animations which throws fluidity out the window.

I don't know what patch you're playing with(I play 15.3.2) that your IF are acting like they "should" be but it's not the case for me. And I always tell them to roam.

You should read wwfan's tactical guide. Fluidity decides whether your players follow the individual instructions of specialist roles (very structured), or follow the general team instructions (very fluid). It has nothing to do with the fluidity of attacks.

Probably been suggested 100 times but i've never read it anywhere and it just popped into my head...

What about a future feature being the ability to create and save set piece routines separate to the tactic they inhabit? So you can plug them into different tactics or switch them during a match. To cap any possible ridiculousness of players using 10-20 routines per game, there could only be a certain number allowed to be familiar to your team, which they will become familiar with like they would a tactic.

I think this would add realism, options and improve the set piece area into a proper feature as opposed to one of the steps of creating a tactic.

Probably been suggested 100 times but i've never read it anywhere and it just popped into my head...

What about a future feature being the ability to create and save set piece routines separate to the tactic they inhabit? So you can plug them into different tactics or switch them during a match. To cap any possible ridiculousness of players using 10-20 routines per game, there could only be a certain number allowed to be familiar to your team, which they will become familiar with like they would a tactic.

I think this would add realism, options and improve the set piece area into a proper feature as opposed to one of the steps of creating a tactic.

it would also give some further depth to the assistant saying 'that routine came straight from the training ground'

Hello,

Sorry for my poor english. My name is Jerry. I'm an administrator to "Football Manager Community Italia", a facebook's fan page dedicated to FM.

I'm a veteran player of this games until first edition when, in Italy it was called "scudetto" :D:D:D:D

In the name of ours fans I harvest a wishlist with any feature requests for Football Manager 2016.

I hope that have chosen the correct forum! :thup:

1. Player's privacy (private twitter, gossip, rumors, ect.)

2. Free transfer Manager when the contract expire (Currently nothing happens until resignation or exoneration)

3. Too many and systematic injuries, there is need to decrease this

4. Graphicals improvement (GUI or 3D match)

5. Real protests during the match

6. Players more expensive (unknow players too)

7. More possibility to exchange players between the teams

8. More realistic press conferences

9. Separate negotiations with a single (or a few) player (players)

10. More interations between managers

11. Loan repurchase obligations

12. More interations with the team's staff

13. Other roles for the player (chairman, director of football, assistant coach, searcher, etc.)

14. Too many big scores, decrease

15. Fair and realistic market

16. More nations and league

17. Ability to trainer youth team too (career advancement, manager professional development, ecc)

Thanks for your kind attention,

Good FM at all.

Jerry and FMCI (Football Manager Community Italia)

ps: six point should be a sarcastic point

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but a buying club should be able to negotiate with a player before they've come to an agreement with the selling club. I.e. when you place a bid for player X, you can be allowed by the selling club to initiate negotiations with the player (or his beloved agent), even though you haven't finished negotiations with the club. This happens often IRL, where buying club has come to an agreement with the player, but there's still negotiations going on between the clubs. Here the buying club would have to ask the selling club permission to speak to the player before contract negotiations start.

Another thing is would-be free agents, when player Y's contract with a club expires soon, an he signs a future deal with a new club. IRL, somethimes, the new club comes to an agreement with the old club, and the player is allowed to transfer immediately (for a fee, of course, that's part of the negotiation), instead of having to wait until his old contract expires. This would be a transfer negotiation starting AFTER the contract negotiation has finished.

Both of these happens IRL.

I don't know if this has been suggested before but the option to choose background stories before you create manager.

Like you were an assistant manager at x club from 2009 to 2011

Then a head of youth development at y club from 2012 to 2014

I feel it adds realism to your manager to be able to have some back room experience when going into the head management game.

what about an option to tell more attacking players to get back to join the defence when your team doesn't have possession of the ball. Just the way in Fifa one can tell attacking wingers or midfielders to "come back on defence". Because in FM15 they always just stay up even though when you use the "much deeper defensive line" option. and even if they come back it's only if the other team builds up their play very slowly. Cheers and thanks for the great work

what about an option to tell more attacking players to get back to join the defence when your team doesn't have possession of the ball. Just the way in Fifa one can tell attacking wingers or midfielders to "come back on defence". Because in FM15 they always just stay up even though when you use the "much deeper defensive line" option. and even if they come back it's only if the other team builds up their play very slowly. Cheers and thanks for the great work

Your shape on the tactics screen is your defensive shape. If you want the players to come back when defending, place them further back. It's what it's there for.

As long as they have an -Attack role, their offensive output will remain similar (though it'll take longer to get where they're heading, so less rapid counters).

I often tell them to specifically mark their man(i.e the right winger to specifically mark the opposition's left-back)

Another thing is would-be free agents, when player Y's contract with a club expires soon, an he signs a future deal with a new club. IRL, somethimes, the new club comes to an agreement with the old club, and the player is allowed to transfer immediately (for a fee, of course, that's part of the negotiation), instead of having to wait until his old contract expires. This would be a transfer negotiation starting AFTER the contract negotiation has finished.

pretty sure that's been a feature for the last couple of versions now

A few ideas:

Can scout regions inside countries eg Merseyside, the Basque country etc. I love doing saves where all the players either come from the local area or through the youth academy. If you come from a smaller town/village, then this would make recruiting players easier

Linked to the above, how about being able to search for people born within x miles of a village/town/city/clubs stadium?

Maybe the club can get fined for crowd trouble etc. I remember this from an old Amiga game (Premier Manager 3 I think) where the club got fined for crowd trouble

Maybe you can have the option to help feeder clubs with poor facilities by giving them money to improve facilities? Therefore the players coming through (and potentially signing for you) could be of better quality?

Realistic contracts (real salary) for international managers.

Howcome when I'm offered a international job it's like I'm volunteering.

A lot of money goes around in international management, look at Guus Hiddink who made a fortune managing South Korea and Russia, and what about Fabio Capello living extremely large after cashing in big time as an England manager.

In my save I'm nearing pension-age after 25 years of management (from Swedish 5th tier to Serie A and Premiership) and now an offer to manage Holland came in and they expect me to do it for free. It's kind of odd I can hold my current job aswell, as if it's normal for international managers to have a club-job at the side.

It's kind of odd I can hold my current job aswell, as if it's normal for international managers to have a club-job at the side.

Yeah, it should be less double-managing. If you're managing a smaller nation like Faroe Islands or San Marino or some similar (didn't Wales have a manager who doubled as a club manager somewhere in fairly recent times?), it would be "normal" to split the duty with managing a club (not a big one though), but managing either in a top league or managing a big nation should be "impossible", meaning the board at the club would protest against you going for an international job while you're at the club (maybe they'll sack you?), and managing England should be so demanding that you couldn't manage a club side as well. Just imagine, you're the England boss at the same time you're in charge of Arsenal/Chelsea/ManC/U/Liverpool etc. IRL you'd be eaten alive by the press etc. for you choices.. Same goes for Italy/Spain/Germany and so on..

Yes, I realize that being just an international manager in-game could be kinda boring, because there's not much going on between games, but then the game should be altered, to "spice up" international managing. Maybe more interacting with players/managers (and the media, but media interaction needs to be improved nonetheless), as well as spending time scouting players, roaming around and watching games etc.

Yeah, it should be less double-managing. If you're managing a smaller nation like Faroe Islands or San Marino or some similar (didn't Wales have a manager who doubled as a club manager somewhere in fairly recent times?), it would be "normal" to split the duty with managing a club (not a big one though), but managing either in a top league or managing a big nation should be "impossible", meaning the board at the club would protest against you going for an international job while you're at the club (maybe they'll sack you?), and managing England should be so demanding that you couldn't manage a club side as well. Just imagine, you're the England boss at the same time you're in charge of Arsenal/Chelsea/ManC/U/Liverpool etc. IRL you'd be eaten alive by the press etc. for you choices.. Same goes for Italy/Spain/Germany and so on..

Yes, I realize that being just an international manager in-game could be kinda boring, because there's not much going on between games, but then the game should be altered, to "spice up" international managing. Maybe more interacting with players/managers (and the media, but media interaction needs to be improved nonetheless), as well as spending time scouting players, roaming around and watching games etc.

I'd be very against telling a user that they couldn't do both in-game, given it's been an option since international management became a thing in FM. If someone wants to do both, they should be able to. I'd be pretty annoyed if they removed it to be honest.

Further to that, like you say, International Management is pretty boring on its own, given that most of the "duties" (I mean, come on, International Management in real life is one step away from retirement the amount of "work" you actually do) that a real international manager would do are available instantaneously or pretty tediously. Outside of managing the team, international managers go to real matches to view players. After all, seeing a player in the flesh and focusing on him is often a lot different to watching on TV. Fair enough. But there is pretty much nothing you can gleam from watching an FM game that you couldn't get from just looking at stats, attributes and scouting reports. So that eliminates a huge chunk of what a manager would do. So you're just clicking continue until a squad announcement comes around, and then playing around 10 matches a year.

Plus on a more real life note, I believe that if someone wanted to do double-duty, with decent enough organisation they could easily do so. Put a good team behind you out around the grounds watching players while you deal with your own club, maybe attend a couple of matches if you're free, then join up with the squad on international breaks, leaving behind a trusted squad of staff who can deal with club matters while you're away. It's not massively far-fetched or impossible.

Further to that, like you say, International Management is pretty boring on its own, given that most of the "duties" (I mean, come on, International Management in real life is one step away from retirement the amount of "work" you actually do) that a real international manager would do are available instantaneously or pretty tediously.

On a football podcast I listen to, they had the assistant manager of the Danish national team on as a guest. According to him there's more than enough work to do as a manager of an international side, but as you also write, it is probably quite boring in FM. Most of the time between fixtures they watch a ton of games to keep tabs on all the players in the squad and all potential candidates to the squad. They have to, since they don't have the daily contact with the squad, so watching hours of football every day is how they make up for it. I doubt many FM players would find this kind of manager "work" very interesting between the few fixtures.

I'd be very against telling a user that they couldn't do both in-game, given it's been an option since international management became a thing in FM. If someone wants to do both, they should be able to. I'd be pretty annoyed if they removed it to be honest..

I see your point, but what I meant was that I'd think the Man Utd board wouldn't accept that you wanted to be Germany's manager at the same time.. This is in no way reflected in-game, and realism is what we long for, right?

On the staff search screen where you can customize the columns displayed, it's missing the option to add a column for the staff member's personality type. It must be an oversight, because you can add a column for media handling style, coaching style, formation, etc., etc.

The personality is among the most important things to look at, especially if you're hiring a director of youth development who is going to handle youth intake, etc., etc. Please add the custom option to display the staff personalities.

Currently you can't edit a player weight such as player height minus 100 (e.g. 190 cm - 100 = 90 kg).

The problem is, after you edit the weight to 90 kg of a 190 cm player, the weight will decrease automatically.

Please fix this problem on fm2016 so that i can edit a player weight and make him huge.

Archived