Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Honestly, this would completely depend on the rest of the system. I generally play a Mez(A), so I want an aggressive player getting into the box and scoring goals, for which I feel a wrong footed player makes more sense since he has more angles available for the shot (admittedly, in FM this rarely seems to matter :lol:), but if I wanted someone to run and create space, I might be much more inclined on a correct footed player, depending on where I want him to run and whom to create space for. Another thing to consider would be the passing lines, especially the Mez is a relatively creative role, so the question then also is who are the runners around him he's likely to pass the ball to.

Unambitious can be a surprisingly good personality actually, as it has a Professionalism range from 5-20. It's pretty much the only "negative" personality I don't instantly avoid on FM. Well worth looking at their media handling style, as that can potentially tell you a lot about the rest of their personality.

This guy for example is Unambitious and I'd say that's an amazing personality:
image.png.23c0ee4ae33e343ee866ab17ae9ce3fe.png

You nailed my thinking on it, but I couldn't recall where I'd seen it come up with that so wanted to check for others thoughts. Thanks!

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bdixon said:

What are the reasons for a players determination to decrease? And can it be increased somehow?

Players will drift towards the general personality of the squad, so players with above average determination for your squad can slowly see their determination drop.

So, if you want to increase it, get players that are very influential/team leaders with high determination. You can also criticize players when they play poorly (6.4 or lower) and at times that will boost determination and/or work rate. In case of young players you can also mentor them.

2 hours ago, bdixon said:

How do I fix this? Coaches workload is light and they are doing training such as General - Defending or a selection from the Defending category.

Benedikt de Groot_ Inbox-13.png

I don't know how well you understand training but there are 3 training units:  attacking, defending, and GK.  Every training session focuses a varying percentage of that session's time towards one of those 3 training units.  The dark blue "General" sessions mostly have a fairly even distribution of time devoted to all the units but when you get into the more specialized sessions, they will heavily focus the time on one unit at the expense of the others.    Your players are simply telling you that your training is too focused on the other training units and you should include more sessions that give equal or better time to their unit.  If I had to guess, they are in the defending unit as there are many more sessions that favor the attackers than focus on the defenders. 

Your manager  may also have an average or low discipline stat which doesn't keep your players in line  and will make it more likely that they will bring complaints to you. 

4 hours ago, bdixon said:

What are the reasons for a players determination to decrease? And can it be increased somehow?

Changes to determination, and personalities in general, are influenced by a number of factors:  squad's overall personality, mentoring group, rare off the field events, complacency, and the greeting when a player joins the club which acts as a one time mentoring session.   Disciplining a player also gives a chance to increase his determination, along with work rate. 

The squad's overall personality is heavily influenced by the team leaders so if they have poor or average personalities, there is a high likelihood that they are going to drag the rest of your player's personalities down to their level, particularly younger players who are more susceptible to being influenced, for good or bad.   Mentoring groups have the same effect but on a smaller scale and a more controlled fashion as you can pick and choose who influences who.   Off the field events are something that you have no control over and can give your players big increased to their personality stats or they give big drops, basically ruining your player forever.   Complacency is similar to off the field events but more common though you can take a few steps to lessen the chances of it happening (which I'm not going to get into here).  The greeting, as mentioned above, is a one time mini-mentoring session which builds a rapport between the greeter and new player if you have chosen the right player to do it or they can instantly dislike each other if you pick a greeter who has too different of a personality from the new player.  

Lastly, there is discipline.  You are able to have a special interaction with your players for approximately one week after a match if the player has received a 6.5 or lower match rating in a match.  This includes reserve team and youth team matches.  This interaction allows you to give them a warning or fine them.  If you are successful in convincing the player that they need to improve, they will receive a point in determination, work rate, or both.  This is an extremely powerful tool that will boost your player's stats very quickly.  

Em 15/07/2022 em 23:46, saintrainhard disse:

Not necessarily, but you need to remember that traits also inherit from the mentor in mentoring. So position will have a significant influence in here as you see fit for you attacking players to get Mark Opponents tightly from your Defend team leader (as example)

So, and I know this is a game and things are not predictable (because I've had players learning traits without even being in mentoring groups, and even players with high status in my club, but what's the "easiest" way to inherit traits? The mentoree being in the same training unit and the same position? 

I've never take care of general training, only the individual. But I want to level up my game and create one my own, based in the way I try to make my team play. But I have very little experience with that and I don't know what to use.

When you create your training, you create the same one for every month?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I use a formation using DLP support in DM position comes with preset instruction of

- Shoot less often

- Take More Risk

- Hold Position

So I got this loan player that the parent club want me to play him as DM with DM role as the must accepted condition for better loan fee. My question is

If I put certain player with DM Support role and duty, then give that player personal instruction of :

- Shoot less often

- Take More Risk

- Hold Position

Yes those options are all available to be added, so it is just look similar iwht DLP support role. Will that player act the same as DLP support  but using DM support role ? or there is a significant difference in how they play the tactic ?

29 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

I use a formation using DLP support in DM position comes with preset instruction of

- Shoot less often

- Take More Risk

- Hold Position

So I got this loan player that the parent club want me to play him as DM with DM role as the must accepted condition for better loan fee. My question is

If I put certain player with DM Support role and duty, then give that player personal instruction of :

- Shoot less often

- Take More Risk

- Hold Position

Yes those options are all available to be added, so it is just look similar iwht DLP support role. Will that player act the same as DLP support  but using DM support role ? or there is a significant difference in how they play the tactic ?

Unfortunately its different. Almost all roles do have certain behaviors hardcoded. Playmakers for example will try to make themselves available for a pass and players will look to find their playmaker more often. 

In a custum/pre set 4-2-3-1- Gegenpress, in which training unit should the central midfielders be? The BWM (de) and the BBM respetively. I mean whether they, or one of them, should be in the Defensive or Attacking unit respetively.

I assume the other positions are no brainers. That the four defenders go in the defending unit and that the for attackers (the two inside forwards, the AM and the Pressing Forward) go in the Attacking unit.

42 minutes ago, danej said:

In a custum/pre set 4-2-3-1- Gegenpress, in which training unit should the central midfielders be? The BWM (de) and the BBM respetively. I mean whether they, or one of them, should be in the Defensive or Attacking unit respetively.

I assume the other positions are no brainers. That the four defenders go in the defending unit and that the for attackers (the two inside forwards, the AM and the Pressing Forward) go in the Attacking unit.

Only you can judge which unit they need improvement in.  I frequently put my fullbacks, and sometimes even my center backs into the attacking unit, to bolster the attacking aspects of my fullbacks because I've noticed over the years that players in the defensive unit don't receive enough attack training like you would normally expect to see in a modern fullback.  Likewise, my central midfielders are switched back and forth between both training units depending on the areas that I feel they are weak in.  I usually make a certain minimum threshold for my players in most stats and will keep the player in a particular group until that threshold has been reached. 

Just played against Sheff Utd away. They play 3-5-2, I play 4-3-3. I play on positive, high LOE, high DL. Press more, stop short play from keeper, counter press and OI with press the backline. Still they get 60 % average possesion, mostly by passing among themselves at the back.I find it highly unrealistic. Is there a way to stop this snooze fest og bacwards passing? I changed to 4-2-3-1, with pressing forward, but it didnt help.

15 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

4411 with wingers both sides
TF-A as the striker
Low block

What would be a good role for the AMC?

Some who’s making runs, like a shadow striker or AMC(a).

12 hours ago, mikcheck said:

If you see your team fail too many passes or being intercepted, do you think it makes sense to play narrow if you're playing with a positive mentality for example?

Well, that could have different reasons. It could be the distance between players (passing options in general), but also vertically (width is horizontally), passing could be too direct, tempo too high or the opposition simply too good.

I would look after what kind of passes are intercepted.

image.png.faadfa3f8382028b6f2b17ed4128dee1.png

Just been promoted to the Premier League and these are my new visions...

'Play high-tempo pressing football' - is this literally what it says on the tin, they want me to play at a high tempo with more urgent pressing?

Won't high tempo contradict the possession football unless I have extremely talented players?

55 minutes ago, Bellyfish said:

image.png.faadfa3f8382028b6f2b17ed4128dee1.png

Just been promoted to the Premier League and these are my new visions...

'Play high-tempo pressing football' - is this literally what it says on the tin, they want me to play at a high tempo with more urgent pressing?

Won't high tempo contradict the possession football unless I have extremely talented players?

These things tend to relate to what's happening on the pitch. Like, just using a Positive mentality will probably be enough for the Tempo and Pressing. Possession will be a bit more tricky but I doubt you'll get sacked for not pleasing them 

I tend to ignore them to be honest, my board wanted "defensively solid football" I didn't even notice until the end of the season that I'd passed it. Play how you like

5 minutes ago, turgi said:

Playing since July with the same tactic, how come the familiarity is so low? I am in the end of January.

image.png.8e992d4ba79a001365dd32cf533ef23d.png

• Do you use a Custom Skin? And does it also appear at default Skin?
  • Did you pick the right tactic for training? Default setting is to primarily focus on Tactic Slot 1
  • Did you take over training by yourself or downloaded a training schedule from someone else. Properbly check if tactical familiarity is continously part of the schedule. If you leave it to the AM it should be fine.

14 minutes ago, CARRERA said:
  • Do you use a Custom Skin? And does it also appear at default Skin?
  • Did you pick the right tactic for training? Default setting is to primarily focus on Tactic Slot 1
  • Did you take over training by yourself or downloaded a training schedule from someone else. Properbly check if tactical familiarity is continously part of the schedule. If you leave it to the AM it should be fine.

Looks the same at default skin

Assistant manager in charge of training

10 minutes ago, turgi said:

Looks the same at default skin

Assistant manager in charge of training

mhh, I could reproduce that problem bei deleting all Players from my formation. Do you have players assigned to your Formation? If that wouldn't solve it, i dont know anymore :-)

20 hours ago, turgi said:

Playing since July with the same tactic, how come the familiarity is so low? I am in the end of January.

image.png.8e992d4ba79a001365dd32cf533ef23d.png

Might be a daft question, but you have players picked in your lineup, right? It shows empty like that with no players picked

Failing that, try clearing the cache and reloading the skin  

What role should I use for my lone striker in a 433 dm wide if I want him to: "drop to link up the play in the centre circle, but be alert, mobile and quick enough to go and finish the move off as well"?

12 minutes ago, bosque said:

What role should I use for my lone striker in a 433 dm wide if I want him to: "drop to link up the play in the centre circle, but be alert, mobile and quick enough to go and finish the move off as well"?

Centre circle would probably be F9 or Trequartista, though maybe a Striker with comes deep to get the ball with quick acceleration could be played in other roles too, those traits could influence him. 

Is the Bravery attribute just un-trainable through team training? I know that you can use 'Additional Focus: Aerial' to work on a specific player Bravery (and Heading). I reviewed the entire team sessions and found none that include this attribute including Ground Defence and Aerial Defence which seem kinda bizarre, linking Bravery with Heading but not with Tackling and Aggression. Not to mention that if you do link Bravery and Heading, why Aerial Defence do not include this attribute?

Following that, how do I Improve a goalkeeper's Bravery?

I noticed the General training sessions Attacking, Possession and Defending are performed as a team (Outfield) but have primary (60%) and secondary impacts (20%). Does that mean for example, for the Attacking session that the Attacking Unit gets the primary focus and Defensive Unit gets the secondary focus? Or does it mean the Defensive Unit gets to practice attacking technical attributes during this session? 

When searching for a coach, let's say Fitness Coach, the game highlights key attributes for the role, for example: a Fitness Coach would need Fitness, Level of Discipline, Determination, Motivating. Do these attributes are equally weighted in producing the Lead Coach Quality star rating? Is this rating impacted by the amount of sessions or is it just the workload?

I'm working on a new tactic that uses two DMs and I'm researching the roles, as I'm not as used to them in this slot. 

Does anyone with a good grasp of then have a nice comparison between the regista and Segundo volante?

4 hours ago, 04texag said:

I'm working on a new tactic that uses two DMs and I'm researching the roles, as I'm not as used to them in this slot. 

Does anyone with a good grasp of then have a nice comparison between the regista and Segundo volante?

Regista is a Creative role, a playmaker. Segundo Volante is a Runner, that’s trying to get involved in the final third. 

2 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Regista is a Creative role, a playmaker. Segundo Volante is a Runner, that’s trying to get involved in the final third. 

What would be good PPMs for a Regista?

3 hours ago, 04texag said:

What would be good PPMs for a Regista?

Tries Killer Balls & Dictates Tempo are probably the biggest two you'd want them have, then  other playmaker traits like, Likes to Switch Ball to Other Flank, Likes Ball Played to Feet, Stops Play maybe even Tries Long Range Passes to open things up 

21 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Might be a daft question, but you have players picked in your lineup, right? It shows empty like that with no players picked

Failing that, try clearing the cache and reloading the skin  

Correct. I have players picked.

Clearing cache and reloading did not fix it either.

Heyyy guys. Quick question. I’m trying to force my opposition to use the flanks while i counter press. I know so by showing the defenders foot to

the flanks  and tight marking the opposition  cm’s  with the opposition instructions. I just wanna know whether it will be more effective to counter if use the TI ‘Use Tighter Marking’ or just using PI on the midfielders to ‘’Mark Tighter’

Edited by awesomeveekthor

2 hours ago, awesomeveekthor said:

Heyyy guys. Quick question. I’m trying to force my opposition to use the flanks while i counter press. I know so by showing the defenders foot to

the flanks  and tight marking the opposition  cm’s  with the opposition instructions. I just wanna know whether it will be more effective to counter if use the TI ‘Use Tighter Marking’ or just using PI on the midfielders to ‘’Mark Tighter’

Tight marking is always tight marking, it’s not more or less effective depending on where you choose it. The approach tho is different

Tight Marking Team Instruction = Every player marks his assigned (depending on the zone he is responsible for) opposition tightly

Tight Marking Player Instruction = That player marks his assigned (depending on the zone he is responsible for) opposition tightly

Tight Marking Opposition Instruction = That opposition player is marked tightly by whoever is responsible 

Edited by CARRERA

A little late to the FM22 party - but I just downloaded the demo and made a cool 3-5-2 tactic.

Now the problem is that I want the wingbacks to hit low early crosses - but they never hit it early and never gets the ball past the opposition fullback. It's just a corner every time they try to make a cross.

I remember this being a problem also in previous FM's but I thought it got fixed.

So my question is: Is this a known problem again this year or have I just been extremely unlucky in 5 games in a row?

41 minutes ago, kepz said:

Something I've been seeing recently: AI opponent is a moron and wants to use an AP and mez as his pivots in a 4231--how can I fine-tune my tactic best exploit this?

Quick transitions (slightly more direct + tempo then usual) to take advantage of a disorganized midfield and have players (AM strata or deep strikers) to exploit the space between midfield and defence. 

11 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Quick transitions (slightly more direct + tempo then usual) to take advantage of a disorganized midfield and have players (AM strata or deep strikers) to exploit the space between midfield and defence. 

should I funnel play through the middle to further take advantage or is that too specific/overkill?

If I develop a B Team after some success and pleasing the Board, will those players benefit from my senior team's facilities? 

Want to make a B Team in Scottish league. Any loan for players in the 19-22 range only has teams with horrible facilities.

4 minutes ago, DMVian said:

If I develop a B Team after some success and pleasing the Board, will those players benefit from my senior team's facilities? 

Any of your teams, including B teams and youth teams benefit from your training facilities.

Youth facilities helps your team to get higher potential players from youth intake.

If a player doesn't feel comfortable in big matches--what does that mean? I am managing in the Vanarama North and can't imagine any of their games being considered big matches and most big clubs in real life do send inexperienced players to lower leagues to gain experience.

In other words, is the "big match" relative? What makes a big match? And finally, what makes it go away?

1 hour ago, kepz said:

I am managing in the Vanarama North and can't imagine any of their games being considered big matches

Big matches vary from team to team. In general, it's significant knockout rounds, matches that determine league position, rival matches etc. At your level, even a FA cup 3rd round would be a big deal.

And finally, what makes it go away?

It can improve if a player performs well in big matches.

18 hours ago, fraudiola said:

does be more expressive encourage roam from position? 

Yeah

17 hours ago, fraudiola said:

is a mezzela-s just a b2b with 3 extra PIs? - get further forward, stay wider, move into channels

No. Hidden instructions affect both roles 

4 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

How does an advanced forward with comes deep to get ball ppm play? Is it more like a dlf attack?

It's contrast player trait for AF role. It's better to be removed since AF purpose (coded) is not to come deep. DLF, yes

1 minute ago, fc.cadoni said:

It's contrast player trait for AF role. It's better to be removed since AF purpose (coded) is not to come deep. DLF, yes

Unable to remove it in training, but is it really that detrimental or does it just change the way he plays the role

26 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

How does an advanced forward with comes deep to get ball ppm play? Is it more like a dlf attack?

It's not quite that much of a difference like a DLF/A would be. He'll drop deeper in some situations. Whereas a DLF/A will remain deeper and for longer, the AF with the trait won't be as deep or for as long. So maybe somewhere in between an AF/A and a DLF/A. 

Watch how he moves and whether it works for you or not.  :thup:

"This is a fairly low level of training for the middle of the season." 

Okay, great, so what do you suggest? It's January, should I be running the boys ragged with physical weeks until this goes away?