England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although, for the record, we lost a random penalty shootout at the end of the 0-0 draw in Morocco. It was part of the "King Hassan Cup", a France 98 warmup tournament. Although it wasn’t a knockout or anything, just a mini-league, so not sure why they felt penalties were necessary.

It was just before the World Cup and they felt that having a penalty shoot out in a 'proper' game in front of a crowd and everything was closer to recreating the conditions of an actual shoot out than just practising (which Hoddle wasn't a fan of as he felt you couldn't re-create the situation) ... stupid really as you can't re-create the situation of heading in a corner in the last minute but it doesn't mean you don't practice corners :/

Of course having a shoot out after a friendly is as much prepartion as practicing on the training ground and nothing like the tournament itself, which you'd think is common sense.

Shows how obsessed we have been about pens and it probably makes things worse going on about it so much and doing stuff like that

Not going to pretend to know anything about how it came about but surely penalty shootouts at the end of pre-tournament friendlies is surely a rather good idea?

I think it can't hurt but we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that it is any way the same as a real shoot out in a tournament match with the pressures and stresses, etc. The fact that it's hardly ever done is probably not a surprise and speaks more to our mental block when it comes to pens

I think it can't hurt but we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that it is any way the same as a real shoot out in a tournament match with the pressures and stresses, etc. The fact that it's hardly ever done is probably not a surprise and speaks more to our mental block when it comes to pens

It's also just an extra chance for goalkeepers to prep when the tournament comes, some of the players who would take penalties in the shootout have probably never taken them consistently at club level so if they happen to take 2-3 in friendlies for their country the the keeper can start to build up more of a picture.

Is it too late to replace players?

Ferdinand to make an unlikely entrance to the squad as Terry's replacement :cool:

think you're allowed to replace injured players either up until the first match for england, or the first game of the tournament.. cant remember which.

Terry's got a tight hamstring, surely's he's not being replaced for that. Would make a 2nd game and Lescott/Jags have done well. Cahill may have a broken jaw but can play with one of those face mask things. Right snide shove that was from the Belgian bloke.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/hodgson-fury-at-strongarm-tactics-7813559.html

Woy's not happy about the roughness

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/02/england-belgium-international-friendly

Here is a match report from the Guardian. It's rare. It's quite balanced with a reasonably positive overview considering our preparations and doesn't descend into hyperbole. It doesn't go over the top but avoids the doom-mongering of pretty much every single other article. Unusual :D

Why is Phil Jones in this England squad, no one is even mentioning him and he is just about the only Utd player I can stand.

What is his role within the squad and what position do they feel most inclined to play him in?

I feel as soon as Barry and Lampard were out people were looking at the people within the reserve squad to come in and do a job there but no mention of Jones where I feel is his best position, he has been immense the times I have seen him in the middle. Even now Terry and Cahill are doubts, Jones should surely be in with a shout for that spot should both/one of them not make it.

Gary Cahill & John Terry 'should be fit for Euro 2012'

Defenders Gary Cahill and John Terry should be fit for England's Euro 2012 campaign, FA Director of Football Development Sir Trevor Brooking says.

Cahill underwent a scan amid fears he fractured his jaw in a collision with England keeper Joe Hart in Saturday's 1-0 friendly win over Belgium.

"The feedback is we're hoping his jaw is not cracked," Brooking said.

On John Terry's hamstring injury, Brooking added: "The medical staff are hopeful he will be able to stay."

England manager Roy Hodgson has already lost to injury keeper John Ruddy (fractured finger) as well as midfielders Gareth Barry (abdomen) and Frank Lampard (thigh) from his original 23-man squad.

But Brooking told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme he is confident Chelsea duo Cahill and Terry will be fit enough to travel to the tournament in Poland and Ukraine later this week.

"Gary was certainly our initial main concern last night," he said.

"It was his jaw following the collision and they were concerned that it was cracked and it might have put him out of it [Euro 2012].

"At the moment we're hoping it's not. I'm sure they'll have a second look but at present we're hoping that's OK."

Cahill, 26, was hurt when Belgium striker Dries Mertens shoved him into Hart in the game at Wembley.

Terry, who won his 73rd cap, had complained of a tight hamstring muscle, which may have been due to fatigue after a week of intensive training.

Hodgson said it was a necessary precaution to send him for a scan.

England midfielder James Milner refused to condemn Belgium's Mertens for the unnecessary push on Cahill.

"The lad pushed him, didn't really need to do it. I don't think he meant to injure him," said Milner.

"I think he was going for the ball and just tried to maybe get away with one and nick a goal and gave him a little shove."

BBC such a joke sometimes. Headline "Cahill should be fit - Brooking", and in fact if you read the article all he's said is that the medical team are "hoping" he's OK. Well, yeah.

Obviously still could go either way. Doesn't sound like they are going to chance it at all if there's a fracture. Obviously doesn't fancy being fitted up with one of those facemasks players have had in the past.

I have never known a country get so many injuries and knocks leading into tournaments. We get our usual April knocks but this time it's come since the squad has joined up, ffs

I mean this is totally unfortunate although that was a horrid little snide shove, not even a push but a shove into the keeper.

Lescott/Terry isn't so bad with Jagielka covering. I doubt Kelly will play but we're certainly running out of depth and we didn't start with a whole lot

is there anyone left on the standby list? :D

I think there is one person but I can't remember who. I'm sure the standby list was 5 people, and Butland, Jagielka, Henderson and now Kelly have all been promoted to the 23.

EDIT: Adam Johnson and Daniel Sturridge still on standby. The standby list was 5 people, but Kelly wasn't even one of them :D

Gutted for Cahill. I was happy with the Terry-Cahill partnership, already gelled together and all that. Looks like it's going to be Terry-Lescott now then, still decent enough but meh, just back luck I suppose :(

Archived