England vs Germany last 16 - BBC1 3pm Sunday

jmr

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First bit of luck for England: Cacau will not play, pulled a muscle in the abdomenal region. So if Klose comes off for some reason, it'll be Gomez on or maybe Marin on with Podolski moving up.

I'd much rather Cacau playing! He looked awful from what I've seen of him.

Oops where the hell is the rest of my post...:confused: was suppose to be;

I want England to lose simply because yesterday I think it was Townsend...said England have better players man to man then Spain...

It's still outrageous (that Townsend said that)

Indeed...

Honestly I just want good match...a memorable match. So far I don't think any match has been played that will be used in one of those World Cup programmes where they talk about excellent goals, personalities or outrageous decisions/players/officials/fans.

2006 world cup was saved by Zidane headbutt... :D other then that it was pretty dull...

The Podolski penalty miss was their first penalty miss in around 40 years at international level including penalty shoot outs! I sense a change in the wind :cool:

Sorry to be a pedant, but they missed one in the 1982 semi-final shootout against France. So it's actually a mere 28 years. ;)

This is the sort of game we need a player like Hargreaves for. Cos then we know we'll score at least one pen, what with Hargreaves being a Canadian-German-Brit.

Still England have more experience and aren't going t be out and out favourites, Germany will feel the pressure amongst their younger squad more and it'll be all on them IF it goes to penalties. england will have all the pressure off as we know we're pretty hopeless against the Germans on penalties.

Yeah, the Daily Star had the most jingoistic headline today: "IT'S WAR - WE'll FIGHT JEERING JERRIES".

The Sun and the Mirror both led with "GERMANS TERRIFIED OF THREE LIONS" and a photo of the German team on safari keeping a safe distance away from three lion cubs:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/25/article-1289502-0A334976000005DC-556_634x427.jpg

Brilliant :D

ger.pngV eng.png

Venue

999843_FULL-LND.jpg

Venue: Bloemfontein

Date: Sunday, 27 June 2010

Kick-off: 15:00 BST

Coverage: Live on BBC1 and BBC Radio 5 live | Highlights on BBC1 (2255 BST) and BBC red button | Full repeat on BBC3 (0045 BST). Plus watch live, listen live, follow live text commentary and watch in-game highlights (UK only) on this website.

TEAM NEWS

England coach Fabio Capello has to decide whether to stick with Matthew Upson at centre-back or restore Ledley King or Jamie Carragher to the starting XI.

King is now fit after a groin injury and Carragher is back from suspension. Wayne Rooney has recovered from the ankle knock he sustained against Slovenia.

Germany striker Cacau has been ruled out with a stomach muscle injury so Miroslav Klose, who is available again after suspension, will come back into the side.

Coach Joachim Loew has concerns over key midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger following the hamstring strain he picked up against Ghana. Jerome Boateng is troubled by a calf strain and could be replaced by Holger Badstuber or Marcell Jansen.

MATCH PREVIEW

The Germany squad enjoyed a relaxing trip to a lion park on Friday prompting captain Philipp Lahm to say: "They were only small lions so you could cuddle them. On Sunday it'll be different. The Lions that we face will be a lot more aggressive." England v Germany is one of the great fixtures in world football and one which always stirs huge emotions for both sets of supporters.

England fans don't need reminding that since their finest hour in 1966, Germany have had the hex over the Three Lions at the World Cup, winning in 1970, drawing in 1982 and triumphing in the penalty shoot out in 1990. The spectre of penalties is impossible to ignore. While the Germans thrive from 12 yards, they remain England's Achilles' heel. And a look down their squad list makes for grim reading. Frank Lampard missed in the shoot-out to Portugal in 2006, in this year's FA Cup final and in the warm-up match against Japan. Steven Gerrard also failed to score against Portugal, Jermain Defoe has missed six out of his last 11 spot-kicks and James Milner missed in a shoot out at the European Under-21 Championship semi-final last summer.

History is stacked against England and for those of you that enjoy silly omens - on the last three occasions Great Britain has had a general election in a World Cup year, Germany have reached at least the last four and won it in 1974.

But the last time the sides met in a competitive fixture, England pulled off one of their most famous ever triumphs, winning 5-1 in Munich in a World Cup qualifier in 2001. If England can even get close to repeating that in Bloemfontein, the bookmakers' odds of 33-1 on Fabio Capello celebrating a win by blowing a vuvuzela might not seem so ridiculous.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- This is the fifth World Cup meeting between the sides. England have won once (1966), Germany have won once (1970) and there have been two draws (1982 and 1990).

- Overall they have played 27 times: England have won 12 matches and Germany 10.

- England and Germany are the only teams at the World Cup with 23-man squads that all play their club football in their domestic league.

- Emile Heskey is the only player in the England squad to have scored a goal in the knockout stages of a World Cup. Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose have done the same for Germany.

- Bloemfontein is the 13th city that the two sides have played each other at.

Germany

- Germany have never gone more than 20 years between winning World Cups - their last victory was in 1990.

- They have reached the last eight in every World Cup they have competed in, except in 1938, when they were eliminated in the last 16 by Switzerland.

- Germany have the best record in penalty shoot-outs in the World Cup - winning all four previous attempts against France (1982), Mexico (1986), England (1990) and Argentina (2006). They have scored 17 of 18 penalties in shootouts, including their last 14 in a row since Uli Stielike's miss in 1982.

- Miroslav Klose is one short of 50 goals for his country.

England

- Rooney has failed to score in his last eight internationals. He has gone over 11 hours (711 minutes, excluding added time) since scoring against Croatia in September, his worst run for England.

- They are unbeaten in their last eight World Cup matches, excluding penalty shootouts, their best ever run in the tournament (beating their seven-game unbeaten run between 1966 and 1970).

- England have the worst record in penalty shootouts at the World Cup - losing all three previous attempts against West Germany (1990), Argentina (1998) and Portugal (2006). They have scored seven and missed seven of their previous 14 penalties.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee:Jorge Larrionda (Uruguay)

Assistants:Pablo Fandino & Mauricio Espinosa (Uruguay)

Fourth official:Martin Vazquez (Uruguay)

There you go gills.

930 minutes to go...

I'm really excited about the match. It's cool to get an insight into the English gearing up for the match by being here on the forum. It's quite the same in Germany. I love all the little side-stories the papers come up with (octopus, penalty-curse,..) and enjoy every detail that is being discussed. I'm really looking forward to it now. May the better team win, which will be - of course - Germany :D

While ITV makes it as being scared of England, isn't the rest of the world giving the real reason? He was mad at not being allowed to train at the stadium (for the 2nd time this tournament).
Köpke said that Löw didn't mean to protest against FIFA but he had to re-schedule and hold the training after not being allowed to train at the stadium, hence he couldn't attend the press conference. You may see that as a lame excuse for not showing up because he was mad though.

930 minutes to go...

I'm really excited about the match. It's cool to get an insight into the English gearing up for the match by being here on the forum. It's quite the same in Germany. I love all the little side-stories the papers come up with (octopus, penalty-curse,..) and enjoy every detail that is being discussed. I'm really looking forward to it now. May the better team win, which will be - of course - Germany :D

Köpke said that Löw didn't mean to protest against FIFA but he had to re-schedule and hold the training after not being allowed to train at the stadium, hence he couldn't attend the press conference. You may see that as a lame excuse for not showing up because he was mad though.

Two World wars and one World Cup. CurryWorst. Your boys will take one hell of a beating.

"Two world wars and one world cup" pretty much the most cringeworthy saying ever.

Agreed. Went out yesterday and the DJ put some England songs on, which I joined in with, but I stopped as soon as dicks started singing that.

• SI Staff

I'm so excited! I'll be supporting England but it's a weird one as I follow German football quite closely as my nan's German and I visit German family and friends quite regularly. I actually think we'll get the job done in normal time, expecting us to step it up a gear and perform well.

I've always hated that "Two World Wars & One World Cup" crap. Not only is it stupid considering Germany have won the World Cup three times as well as knocked us out of numerous tournaments since then, it's not like we won the war on our own. I think any "gloating" of war victory like that is disrespectful to everyone who died in said wars as well.

1 - Germany to win in extra time by 1 goal.

2 - Germany to win via penalty shootout.

3 - Germany to win in normal time by 1-2 goals.

4 - England to win at all.

above listed in order of most likely outcome.

Germany have looked a lot more confident and composed so far, compared to England who in 2 of thier matches have looked nervous, lacklustre & vulnerable.

I'd like to be wrong, but thats how I see it playing out later on today.

Archived