England vs Germany last 16 - BBC1 3pm Sunday

jmr

I've always hated that "Two World Wars & One World Cup" crap. Not only is it stupid considering Germany have won the World Cup three times as well as knocked us out of numerous tournaments since then, it's not like we won the war on our own. I think any "gloating" of war victory like that is disrespectful to everyone who died in said wars as well.

Tbf im not too bothered about the Nazis ( Of course not applicable to German men who were made to fight and were not Nazis ) and war criminals that died in the second world war etc, but if you feel empathy for them then that’s your call. I don’t see how the saying is disrespectful to the men that died fighting for England - it praises them if anything. Should we not be proud of what our Grandfathers etc did? So many people in here trying to be politically correct ffs.

Anyway I said it in jest which the guy I was replying too understood. Its just a bit of banter for Englands biggest game for a generation. Im sure the Germans give as good as they get

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Germany will get past the English although I'd like to think so. The squad has not reached it's peak yet which they will by 2014, I fear they're too inexperienced. However, I'd like to see Marin coming on and running circles around the English defenders until they either let him score or can't help but get violent properly ^^

I fear they're too inexperienced.

What's this too inexperienced talk about? People tend to look at the squads average age without realizing the following: Jansen, Trochowski, Friedrich, Lahm, Mertesacker or Gomez have been DFB regulars for years, and I challenge you to find Argentina players capped as often as Klose, Friedrich, Schweinsteiger and Podolski - for England only Lampard, Gerrard and Cole are thereabouts. Now this is a fairly young squad, but even the newbies already played their parts in succesful CL, UEFA Cup and Europa league campaigns almost all the way through, not as future prospects coming from the bench, but as starters.

Young? Yes. Not peaked yet? Perhaps. Far too inexperienced? You decide.

Really not sure if I have the energy to watch this tonight :(. Got up ridiculously early dis-morning to get a flight to Cairns and have to be up fairly early tomorrow morning so the idea of going to bed from 1.45 am onwards isn't appealing.

It's gonna be close, it's gonna be tight. I hope concentration is at the maximum, Rooney can find a little form, we can keep an eye on Ozil a bit, get a bit of luck and nick it. Really could go either way, extra time a major possibility but not sure my heart and nerves will take it

Personally don't think we have much chance although I do love the blind optimism of our Nation.

Despite current performances and the fact that other nations have better teams than us the faith put in the team is amazing.

Its not blind optimism ffs its not like we have performed the worst is at the world cup is it,Germany have hardly set the tournament on fire either and its not like we have crap players either if anything we are starting to grow into the tournament and lets face it its a 50-50 chance not bad odds :D

Someone posted this article, then deleted it for some reason (I can read deleted posts). I thought it was a really interesting article on the England v Germany "rivalry" by Marina Hyde at the Guardian.

The only thing is she massively missed the point about 'rivalry'. No one would say England / Scotland isn't a massive rivalry yet it's quite one-sided and she went with the same line for this "Germany won loads and we haven't" which in the grand scheme of a rivalry means feck all.

We also lead the 'rivalry' 12-10 I believe even though I'd obviously prefer to win those semi finals but that just adds to the rivalry. One team doesn't win loads and then it's a case of "they always win, rivalry's off now"

Köpke said that Löw didn't mean to protest against FIFA but he had to re-schedule and hold the training after not being allowed to train at the stadium, hence he couldn't attend the press conference. You may see that as a lame excuse for not showing up because he was mad though.

Surely it's better than ITV's reason of "He is scared of England"? :D

Can't decide which way this will go. England are getting better but the style of football hasn't been brilliant. Struggling with ball retention and James mostly kicking aimlessly is our downfall when we get to this stage.

Germany have been very good in my opinion. Thier style has been very fluid and ball retention very good. Ghana showed if you can pressure them though there's a chance of robbing the ball and creating a chance.

All i'm going to say is it's going to be a classic with a narrow victory for one side (England hopefully) and it's not going to penalties.

Really can't see it being Upson who starts. If it was going to be Upson, Capello wouldn't make a point out of changing it.

He made a fuss about 'wether or not to stick with Green' and a fuss about 'who will partner Rooney up front' in the second and third matches respectively, and they both resulted in changes.

As long as King is fully fit I'm fine with him too. If theres even a chance we'd have to waste a sub on him at HT, don't risk it.

Upson was great all through qualifying alongside Terry, and did all that was asked of him against Slovenia. Pleeeaaaassseee Fabio :(

England are getting better but the style of football hasn't been brilliant. Struggling with ball retention and James mostly kicking aimlessly is our downfall when we get to this stage.

Capello's had a big say on how the England goalkeepers distribute the ball and I thought it was clear that the keepers were passing the ball out much more than humping it upfield as usual. I thought James passed the ball out much more than the aimless kicking that most goalkeepers do.

Capello's had a big say on how the England goalkeepers distribute the ball and I thought it was clear that the keepers were passing the ball out much more than humping it upfield as usual. I thought James passed the ball out much more than the aimless kicking that most goalkeepers do.

Although it is duly ruined by the fact the defenders lump it up instead.

Its just a bit of banter for Englands biggest game for a generation. Im sure the Germans give as good as they get

Mentioning the war as 'banter'? They most certainly don't. No matter how you look at this sort of thing, the English gutter press and those who buy them are the sole responsibles for this utter low in tastelesness. You can't tar Germany's gutter press, low as they are, with this brush. The worst I read was 'Byebye England' and 'we're going to grab the crown jewels' (cringeworthy, yes. But not below the belt).

Anyway, going to the pub soon. Schland!

Why have the News of the World (I've never read it, but I can't image you actually get much news from around the World in it) made the England players vampires?

On that note I used to work for the NoTW. Was great. Basically paid £180 for working from 6pm to 2am on a Saturday putting slideshows together for their website, which mostly comprised of girlies with their hooters out. Loved it.

On that note I used to work for the NoTW. Was great. Basically paid £187 for working from 6pm to 2am on a Saturday putting slideshows together for their website, which mostly comprised of girlies with their hooters out. Loved it.

Crap hours, but a brilliant job :D Where do I sign up?

What's this too inexperienced talk about? People tend to look at the squads average age without realizing the following: Jansen, Trochowski, Friedrich, Lahm, Mertesacker or Gomez have been DFB regulars for years, and I challenge you to find Argentina players capped as often as Klose, Friedrich, Schweinsteiger and Podolski - for England only Lampard, Gerrard and Cole are thereabouts. Now this is a fairly young squad, but even the newbies already played their parts in succesful CL, UEFA Cup and Europa league campaigns almost all the way through, not as future prospects coming from the bench, but as starters.

Young? Yes. Not peaked yet? Perhaps. Far too inexperienced? You decide.

I'm mainly talking pressure levels. Mertesacker looked quite insecure against Ghana and to me it's obvious that he isn't that used being run at. Bremen is an all-out attacking team in the Bundesliga so closing down is much more practised than in the national team. Klose, Gomez and Janssen are "severely lacking match fitness". The Bayern young guns don't have the somewhat calming but rigid philosophy of van Gaal, and you'll agree that Löw is not that much a tactical mastermind than Louis is. I really just miss someone who stabilises the team when going behind 1-0 or 2-0.

Anyhow, I hope Germany will make it through. I'd actually love to see the SUN reporters in tears, and the "England in Roo-ins" headline gets me going :D

Cheering for an England win just because my sister is supporting Germany and, well, I can't support the same team as her after she cheered for the Swiss to beat Spain. Traitor.

3-1 for England. Rooney hattrick?

Upson hattrick is 500/1 on Paddy Power. Might as well go for that if you're going for an England hattrick tbh.

Archived