Group H - Chile v Spain & Switzerland v Honduras - ITV1/ITV4 - KO 19:30

Djstu23

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the last few minutes of the Swiss-Honduras match. How selfish were the Swiss players in the final third? There was always the pass on so the player could get to the by-line and pull the ball back. Even the very last attack of the game there. I think it was Frei that was in space on the right, but the guy in possession ignored him and chose a meek shot instead.

Yep and imo for both games any team can win..
Spain V Portugal and Brazil V Chile then :cool:

Brazil to beat Chile pretty easily IMO, even more so because Chile will be missing some players.

If recent history means anything, at least Brazil vs Chile would be a goalfest as the last games were all big Brazilian victories (Brazil 4-0, 3-0 and 6-1 in 2007, Brazil 3-0 in 2008 and Brazil 4-2 in 2009).
Yes, their last victory against Brazil was a 3-0 victory in the 2002 WC Quals, but the record between the two teams is very favorable to Brazil:

Games: 65

Brazilian victories: 46

Draws: 12

Chilean victories: 7

Brazilian goals: 152

Chilean: 55

Thanks for manufacturing the 2nd half lads - 2-1 suited Chile and Spain very nicely knowing that the Swiss definitely wouldn't win 2-0. Wonder will Mr Mr Hill refund my bet on Spain -1? Nah, course not.

Dunno if it's been mentioned as I've only read this page of the thread but it's insane how little knowledge outside the premiership some commentators have.

"Sanchez, now there's a prospect"...yeah.

Maybe they should play FM, then they would know everything ;)

Be prepared for a Refereeing Masterclass in the distribution of cards for not much in the Chile game tonight - this Mexican fella is a loose cannon to say the least - highly unpredictable and deeply suspect.

His World Cup record of cards in a single game so far is 9 yellow and 2 red in the Ivory Coast vs. Serbia match in 2006.

Probably the worst appointment that could have been made for a game of this importance

Haha this man called it :D

Still can't understand why in the world Bravo felt compelled to come out and tackle that Spaniard.

All in all, both teams played a poor match. Both of Spain's goals were Chilean errors and Millar's goal was a fluke. Don't get me started on the referee.

I disagree. I thought Spain and Chile did quite well. Sure the 1st goal was a mistake by Bravo but it requires expertise from David Villa to score. Any other striker, it would probably have ballooned off or gone wide (then they blame the Jabulani). Iniesta's goal was a result of some good movement by Spain.

And Chile could have self-destructed after going 2 goals and 1 man down. Yet they never gave up and their fighting spirit was quite impressive.

Much better match than Queiroz's Portuguese 'feast'.

I'm not saying that Spain lacks merit or that the match was boring, rather that both of Spain's goals stemmed from gross defensive errors instead of a flowing play. They failed to capitalize on the few other chances they had.

Still can't understand why in the world Bravo felt compelled to come out and tackle that Spaniard.

All in all, both teams played a poor match. Both of Spain's goals were Chilean errors and Millar's goal was a fluke. Don't get me started on the referee.

Given the circumstances starting the 2nd half they played a typical final group game to see them both through. Let's be honest, the 2nd half was a stitch up.

that torres clip is not a dive, you can see the chilean player come across the back of him, at the very start of the clip you can see Torres right boot inside the Chileans right knee, he clips it ( accidently ) you can even see the chilean player take a quick look at torres when his knee clips his foot before torres goes down and Torres trips over, sure torres overreacted and it should never have been a second yellow, but iirc that guy was lucky to still be on the pitch anyway.

The clip is too fast to judge with certainty whether he dived, but I believe the whole episode was accidental. If Torres wanted to gain numerical advantage, why wait? He could have reacted badly when Ponce struck a foot into his shin earlier on but he treated it as a non-event. Estrada was unlucky in that incident but then he was lucky not to have been shown a 2nd yellow earlier anyway.

It's too fast to make any conclusion. The two players are so close, it could be Estrada accidentally clipping Torres' foot too along with a number of different permutations. It's hard to say unless we have slow-mo clips with a number of different angles.

There's very slight incidental contact, but the manner in which Torres flings himself upwards, jerks his head backwards, then proceeds to lie inert for 30 seconds before writhing around in agony is just utterly bilious.

When you're running at speed any contact, even very slight, is enough to knock you over, but the tripping leads to you falling forwards and downwards. How referees continuously get conned by players throwing themselves upwards for added theatrical effect is beyond me, not to mention the equally pathetic and hilarious arching and flailing of limbs, sometimes so exagerated that a player's feet often end up traveling backwards to a point behind where any contact took place.

There needs to be some sort of instruction of referees in how a human body acts when it's traveling in one direction and is tripped either accidently or deliberately, as many of them obviously have no idea how to tell a deliberate and embellished dive from a genuine trip and fall. It's not difficult to spot, other than in circumstances where the referee hasn't clearly seen the event I'm continuously amazed how often they get conned.

Edit - Oh, and I meant to add; I'm so sick of it that I'm now no longer in favour of "protecting" flair players, and I'd actually like to see hatchetmen and defenders given more leeway to boot diving arseholes like Cronaldo up in the air on a far more routine basis :thup:

What an utter **** Torres is. Child indeed....

Why is it the refereeing in each World Cup are so incredibly easy on the cards? Every time there is a freekick I'm looking at the ref to see if he hands out a card. It's crazy. They're flying out for nothing. Must have passed 10 red cards already and a pileup of yellows, but there have been very few ugly matches. Must be so terrible to be sent off for 'nothing' in a World Cup. The consequences are so big.

There's very slight incidental contact, but the manner in which Torres flings himself upwards, jerks his head backwards, then proceeds to lie inert for 30 seconds before writhing around in agony is just utterly bilious.

When you're running at speed any contact, even very slight, is enough to knock you over, but the tripping leads to you falling forwards and downwards. How referees continuously get conned by players throwing themselves upwards for added theatrical effect is beyond me, not to mention the equally pathetic and hilarious arching and flailing of limbs, sometimes so exagerated that a player's feet often end up traveling backwards to a point behind where any contact took place.

There needs to be some sort of instruction of referees in how a human body acts when it's traveling in one direction and is tripped either accidently or deliberately, as many of them obviously have no idea how to tell a deliberate and embellished dive from a genuine trip and fall. It's not difficult to spot, other than in circumstances where the referee hasn't clearly seen the event I'm continuously amazed how often they get conned.

Edit - Oh, and I meant to add; I'm so sick of it that I'm now no longer in favour of "protecting" flair players, and I'd actually like to see hatchetmen and defenders given more leeway to boot diving arseholes like Cronaldo up in the air on a far more routine basis :thup:

I agree with much of what you say, and would love to see video technology used. It's the only way to reduce this plague. It's too easy to be fooled by the diving *****. But I don't agree Ronaldo is a blatant diver. True, he was in his early Man Utd years, and that label has stuck something unreal. He is far from top of the scale now.

I've now looked at it frame by frame. There seems to be very slight contact. When Torres runs and his foot leaves the ground for another step, it touches Estrada's knee. In other words, this is more Torres' fault than Estrada's, though I guess nobody should be blamed for the contact itself as the guys are just running in slightly different directions.

There is however zero doubt over what happens next. Torres throws himself to the ground, as can very clearly be seen from the video. So my above comment that Torres is a cheating **** still stands. You can guess which C-word I wrote...

As I hadn't noticed Estrada getting yellow earlier, I was amazed he got yellow-yellow-(red) in such quick succession, thought he must have said something vile to the ref (which would have been warranted tbh). This -even if it hadn't been a dive- has to be one of the harshest reds in history. You concede a goal, because the ref plays the advantage, then get the red after.

Torres should be banned for a match but it won't happen. And FIFA still owe everyone an explanation as to how they saw no reason to punish Villa for slapping an opponent in the face. Are we looking at FIFA being suspiciously nice to the potential world champions here?

Spain have started to **** me off a bit now. I really loved watching them in the Euro's but now they seem to have a cocky attitude about there play and some of the players are just total dicks waving imaginary cards, diving etc. Luckily for them Villa/Torres can actually put the ball in the net otherwise they would be like Arsenal, passing it around a ridiculous amount without doing anything.

To be fair, this is typical Spain/Barcelona. When they are cruising they play great football, but when they need to get something out of the bag they turn to every cheating trick they can come up with. Just like Barca against Inter when they ran out of ideas.

I had them as one of the favourites, but now I'm sad they didn't fly out in the group stage like Italy did. If they win this World Cup I'll be just as disappointed as when Italy did it last time around. Portugal isn't exactly fair-playing angels either, but now I hope they beat Spain.

I'm starting to feel all this diving and acting is doing to football what doping is doing to cycling.

As I hadn't noticed Estrada getting yellow earlier, I was amazed he got yellow-yellow-(red) in such quick succession, thought he must have said something vile to the ref (which would have been warranted tbh). This -even if it hadn't been a dive- has to be one of the harshest reds in history. You concede a goal, because the ref plays the advantage, then get the red after.

Torres should be banned for a match but it won't happen. And FIFA still owe everyone an explanation as to how they saw no reason to punish Villa for slapping an opponent in the face. Are we looking at FIFA being suspiciously nice to the potential world champions here?

FIFA have no balls whatsoever. They go where they sniff the most money. No chance whatsoever they will do anything about this. Guess they can't either. Nothing can be done when the ref makes a wrong decision. They say it will undermine their authority, or some crap like that. That's probably what they say about video reffing too, but we need it more than ever. If this WC doesn't convince people of that, nothing will.

Torres clips Estrada's knee with his right foot which sends Torres's right foot onto the back of his left calf. It's at that point that Torres does his gazelle jump/swan dive and the rest is history. I've snatched a 9 second slowmo of it but need to compress the .avi file somehow.

There's clearly contact between the two that sends Torres' right foot into the back of his left leg (notice the slight stumble by Estrada). Not a dive, it is a foul but not deliberate and it shouldn't have been a yellow

Loving the indignation of people here claiming it's a dive :D

Archived