Biggest flop so far..

jmr

So we've seen most sides twice now, only Spain from the big teams left to play, who have been the biggest flops so far for you?

Rooney

Ribery

Pienaar

Two players who were expected to be part of the elite this WC, both been utter *****.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can hardly call a player a flop because he doesn't manage to magically single-handedly lift his entire team of failures out of their misery... the two players you mention were average, as compared to the rest of their team.

Top flop: Green. It's a bit like flogging a dead horse by now, but that was one of the biggest bloopers I've seen in my life.

You can hardly call a player a flop because he doesn't manage to magically single-handedly lift his entire team of failures out of their misery... the two players you mention were average, as compared to the rest of their team.

Top flop: Green. It's a bit like flogging a dead horse by now, but that was one of the biggest bloopers I've seen in my life.

Flop (association football) , a player that was signed for a club that had not lived up to expectations.

Green has lived upto expectations.

I'd add Lampard but I don't think many people expected much of him either. Will update this list after Portugal and Spain play today, could be quite a few more going on.

Hardly Capello's fault our team can't pass a ball to each other.

Very true. Unbelievable that one man can go from the greatest thing since slice bread to an idiot inside 2 weeks... all because your "wprld class" [sic] players don't make a very good team.

Definitely Wayne Rooney. Can't blame Capello, team is playing really poorly. Domenech is an obvious choice, and I would mention Lippi, Italy just don't have a tactic to play effectively on oppenents end of pitch. They lack new ideas. But if they qualify for the second round, and I think they will, it might be a different story. Because they can defend. But not with Cannavaro. How is it, that their both starting centerbacks are from Juventus, who had disastrous season? Hamsik is not worth to be mentioned, it's impossible for one player to win games on his own. The same goes with Pienaar.

Hamsik is hardly a flop...

I mean... those who are familiar with Serie A know the Slovakian is awfully inconsistent and needs everything to go his way in order to deliver a good performance. Which is often consisting of one-two brilliant plays in 90 minutes of dullness.

So the notion of him winning games on his own at the World Cup was a bit of a pipedream.

My vote goes to the whole French team...

Laughably bad on the pitch, even worse in the dressing room... Basically a textbook example of what a world cup squad should NOT be

I was looking forward to seeing Hamsik at this World Cup and he's been awful

Yeah was looking out for him after all the hype. But tbf playing for Napoli vs playing for a team of very average players didn't help him at all. So no, I don't really consider him a flop due to the limitations of his team.

I had expected more from Pienaar on the other hand. Coming off a good season at club level into a WC hosted by his country, he did nothing in both games so far.

Domenech. However, the writing was already on the wall. Not too sure what the French Football Association were smoking when they didn't sack him after Euro 2008. And 2006 was Zidane dragging the entire team to the Final. Remember 2002 in Japan? Domenech had no clue when Zidane was injured and the team went home after the first round.

England was all right against the US till Green's blooper. For some reason the players played like 3rd division nomads against Algeria. Rooney clearly isn't fit at all - is he going to reenact that Nike commercial in real life? It must be galling for Capello to watch all his hard work unravel over 180 minutes in South Africa.

I was just about to say, Ronaldo working his hardest to get on this list. Doesn't look interested at all. (Will probably score a couple now).

Hardly a flop. Have you seen him playing well for Portugal in the last few years?

Domenech wasn't in charge in 02. If he was it would be pretty unreal that they kept him this long :D

It's pretty unreal how they kept him after the Euro 2008. :eek: Crushed by Holland (1-4) and bottom of the group with 1 point behind Romania? :confused:

Gilardino

I kinda feel sorry for the poor sod...

How many touches of the ball did he have in two matches? How many of them were with him facing the goal?

Sure, he hasn't helped his teammates much, but the fact Gilardino isn't a "playing striker" and that he needs to have a solid and propositive team behind him in order to score is hardly breaking news...

It's not his fault if Italy can't complete more than two passes before resorting to useless long balls

No one mentioning Italy?drawing against NZ and having not won 1 match yet in the easiest WC group ever are both such big shames for my country that i feel embarassed to post on this forum :(

I actually think Italy have played better football then I expect prior to the WC...I never expect them to control play and have the most possession (Yes even against NZ)

Like alot of teams in this WC though the final-third is very poor...no creative ideas and no cutting edge. the 2nd games have been alot more interesting though and alot more open so I hope the 3rd games are even better.:thup:

Not surprised to see Rooney in here, although, I forgot he is a full team on his own, or atleast that is what people seem to be saying...

What you're saying isn't that Rooney wasn't poor just that everyone else was also poor as well.

We know, I guess more was expected of Rooney, a lot more and feel free to include the rest of the England team

Archived