The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've never looked like losing any of the 3 group games so far, but equally we never looked like winning them comfortably either.

I hope the Germans don't Muller us :D

1-0 England win, Joe Cole to be the saviour.

We've never looked like losing any of the 3 group games so far, but equally we never looked like winning them comfortably either.

I hope the Germans don't Muller us :D

1-0 England win, Joe Cole to be the saviour.

Hope he starts even though Milner was excellent today :thup:

I reckon this game will be different from the other 3. Mainly because most people will expect germany too beat us, which means we might play with less pressure than normal and play how we should do. Whether that means we'll win or not, who knows just yet....

I reckon we can win it, I haven' treally been drawn into this maelstrom of rave reviews the Germans have been getting. The big games start now and thats when we found out how good everyone is, I for one have faith.

A marked improvement in performance levels today.

They actually managed to string a decent number of passes together without losing possesion after the 3rd touch.

It may still be a case of 'too little, too late' however.

They still looked nervous, edgy and not very confident.

Brazil, Argentina and to a lesser extent Germany & Portugal have all looked much more assured on the ball, more confident in defence, attack and passing play.

I'm suprised at the luck they have had in managing to qualify for the knock-out rounds, but i feel they don't really deserve to be there after the dismal displays in the 2 previous matches, and I expect to lose outright or in a shootout to the 1st bit of real competition they face (probably v's 1 of the teams mentioned above).

Don't know how to call the Germany v England match either.

My head says that Germany will win due to the improved style they've developed and how fluid they are. This will have been a great experience for the younger players and also Klose will be back.

My heart thinks England can do it as we've got over the hurdle of getting out the group stages and the performance was so much better (uptil the 75th min) today. Also the team will take confidence in being unbeaten in the group stages.

I'm going 1-0 England and Gerrard.

It's going to be either an amazing england performance or a drab loss, we improved today, but in the end we only beat them 1-0. Germany's movement off the ball is one of the better i have seen in this tournament. Gerrard needs to stay out on the left a little more when defending, otherwise muller and lahm will tear cole apart. Really can't predict a score, going to be a tense game!

Also as a side note , if we play the spanish at any time would like to see Carrick in there to help him sort his head out , he hasn't been the same player since the cl final vs barca, when iniesta and xavi ripped us apart. Barry is good , but Carrick has a little extra in the control of his passing.

I think it'll be a very open game, battle of two dodgy defences, most clinical team wins. I fear that won't be England.

Yes to dodgy defences, but Germany played A LOT better offensively. Its not even fair to compare IMO. Well i might be biased, but also know after kickoff its anyones game.

I think you're right, Germany's defence has been better than England's, but i do think it has some problems in the centre that haven't been exposed yet, although Ghana nearly did tonight.

If nothing else it'll be entertaining as Ger vs Eng always is. :thup:

...maybe like 1970 but with the opposite result. ;)

Am I the only english person who gets no passion out of supporting them and finds them boring as hell to watch?

I get much more entertainment out of watching a team like Chile

Haha no not at all. I'm totally like that. Used to love it, but my passion for club football is so much more its ridiculous. I get to watch something ***** every week with Saints, I'd like to be entertained at a national level. Quite frankly I get bored by us quite often.

Find it more amusing when we struggle.

I'd add Josh McEachren to that, the boy is scary talented, fantastic technically with a really good football brain, just needs to bulk up a little, but thats nowt to worry about.

A video if anyone is interested; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNcQcjslOI&feature=player_embedded

Loads of videos like that, you can do that with any player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9h4aJE6YY

Or even -

Loads of videos like that, you can do that with any player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9h4aJE6YY

Or even -

The point was to just show a few people who hadn't heard of the lad a little of what he can do. Not an advert for him being a sure fire big hit. And as I said earlier he is held in very high regard by the International and Club coaches, and played a large role in the recent success of both club and country. Thought a few people may enjoy putting a face to a name and all that, thats all.

Haha no not at all. I'm totally like that. Used to love it, but my passion for club football is so much more its ridiculous. I get to watch something ***** every week with Saints, I'd like to be entertained at a national level. Quite frankly I get bored by us quite often.

Find it more amusing when we struggle.

Yeah basically you should not watch then. I bet you would be the first to be jumping around if we won the World cup. You find it amusing when we struggle? Jog on.

Quite easy to find it hard to support this England squad when it's packed full of super ***** tbh, don't want them to lose and won't be supporting the other side in some sort of protest but I really don't care about the result. I do miss the Euro 96 and WC 98 squads mind, two teams I fully got behind, not sure I'll ever feel that way about an England squad again :(

I can't see us beating Germany as the same problems still exist, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney are being completely comprised by their restrictive roles in the team and England's nervy rushed passing and movement are just appaling compared to pretty much any half decent country.

If you watch England they completely lack any sort of composure or calmness on the ball compared to most other nations. It's embarrasing really that a country of our pedigree can't play with the fluidity and assuress seen by other lesser and equal teams. Our players either hoof it or force the issue far too soon by trying passes that just aren't there.

"Playing nervously"

"It would be wise to play Gerrard in a more familiar position"

"A number of players in the squad are having problems motivating themselves to play for you as their manager"

"Some of the players in the squad are showing signs of overconfidence during warmups"

Heh. I crack myself up, but then I'm easy to amuse when I'm tired and can't sleep. Gonna go back to bed before I annoy too many folk with my obvious trolling.

Damn them and their inability to score a 2nd goal. This is what has annoyed me, very good performance but the situation we found ourselves in, I knew the Yanks would score late on, it wouldn't have been so bad had they scored 60 mins or 70 mins but right at the end when we thought we'd done enough to win the group.

Just one more goal would have done it or, how about this, not playing like ***** against Algeria! :mad: They knew the Yanks had drawn with Slovenia, all we had to go was win, win ugly, whatever and then we'd be in control.

Ghana and then Uruguay/Korea ... spare the 'they're all good sides' crap for a bit, every game will be tough, will be tight, who would you rather play, 2 of those 3 and then it's the bleedin' semi finals or Germany and freaking Argentina? We only have ourselves to blame.

Yeah, we can beat Germany, it's gonna be epic but Argentina? Yeah, they can be got it and so on but it's big performance after big performance whereas we could maybe afford a bit of sloppiness and still make it past Ghana for instance (cause, you know, they can't freaking score and they're not all that!) now we need 4 incredible games against basically a who's who of international freaking football!

I know which path I would rather have and we knew winning the group was 'potentially' the easier route to 'decent' 1/4 final showdown when the draw was made, we knew this when we drew with the Yanks and we knew this when the Yanks drew with Slovenia and we still played the way we did against Algeria ... it all comes back to that inexcusable performance.

We can't do anything about it now but it angers the feck out of me, Yanks, Ghana, Uruguay or Korea will be in the Semi Finals ....

Come one against Germany!!

Also, I don't subscribe to the 'you have to beat the best' line of thinking. I want to beat the worst and still win the tournament!

I'd rather play the best in 2 games, semi finals and a final ... they can be the uber-epic confrontations not all the way from last 16 onwards as I don't think we have enough of those performances required to make it but I would love it, LOVE IT if we beat them!!!!! :D

Do people really think it was a very good performance? I guess in comparison to the Algeria game it's an amazing performance but still, I don't think it was as good as people are making out and we've certainly played better in qualifying. This was an awful Slovenia team (the worst team in our group even if they finished 3rd) who didn't even want to attack when they knew 1 goal would see them through regardless of the result in the other game. I'm sure the sun and daily mail will make it out to be some herculean effort but it really wasn't.

True jmr, but hopefully this is a sign of us steadily improving - think we really need to take the positives out of this one. Its just like England to pull a performance out against a good team like Germany, so I am not as worried about it as some of you. Anyway if we go out against someone like Germany at least its not an embarrassment (unless we lose 4 or 5)

Yeah we do seem to perform better against the better teams so I'm not too worried we'll get destroyed by Germany. Very 50-50 that game, wouldn't be surprised to see it go to penalties :D Hopefully we will play the same team that played vs Slovenia against Germany.

Do people really think it was a very good performance? I guess in comparison to the Algeria game it's an amazing performance but still, I don't think it was as good as people are making out and we've certainly played better in qualifying. This was an awful Slovenia team (the worst team in our group even if they finished 3rd) who didn't even want to attack when they knew 1 goal would see them through regardless of the result in the other game. I'm sure the sun and daily mail will make it out to be some herculean effort but it really wasn't.

Careful now. I said this and caused a five page argument in the match thread.

Yeah we do seem to perform better against the better teams

Love it when people say that. I'd love for someone to actually back that up with some stats because all I remember is we scrape through to this round in most competitions and then struggle and get knocked out as soon as we actually play a decent team. Didn't we scrape pass Ecuador and Denmark last time and as soon as we played anyone decent we got beat?

It was a much better performance, no one said it was great but I felt quite comfortable aside from the odd moment when it goes into the area but I am like that with our keepers anyway.

This worst team narrowly beat Algeria and got a credible draw against the States. Tournament matches are always gonna be tight imo so would have hoped for a 2-0 and I think we played well enough to grab a 2nd but I'll take 1-0, just still annoyed about Algeria and what's it has cost us in terms of the next round, etc

We beat Denmark 3-0. But did scrape past Ecuador

We don't play better against better sides. Not sure where everyone is getting that from.

Bring on the Germans. Sure it would be nice to have the 'easy' route. But what's done is done. This is the WC, England vs Germany. Gonna be such an epic match. Classic WC encounter. Win or lose. But if we won.......

Upson gave the ball away early on the game a few times, anyone reckon he's staying in the team or we're bringing Carragher back? I think Carragher's coming back myself.

Could be us vs Germans, Italy / Holland and potentially Spain / Brazil too in the last 16

Upson does scare me a bit. He did well but at times you can just imagine him tripping over the ball under a little bit of pressure. I can see Carragher coming back in.

I am so pumped for Sunday now. Literally never looked forward to a Football match as much as this.

Archived