The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^What do you expect them to say?

We had the best record out of everyone during qualifying. One bad performance vs. Algeria and people are basically repenting their sins in fear of the world ending. It's pathetic.

Look at Spain, Italy, Germany, all have had bad results. It's not just happening to England.

To be fair, I'd say the performance thing is true after the first round of games, I wasn't panicing like most of England but the 2nd group game was utterly abject, it's more the performance than the result that worried me.

Italy at least created against the Kiwis we created nothing, if it was backs against the wall defending from Algeria and we couldn't break them down I'd actually be confident now, big games are tight in tournaments but damn we were poor

^What do you expect them to say?

We had the best record out of everyone during qualifying. One bad performance vs. Algeria and people are basically repenting their sins in fear of the world ending. It's pathetic.

Look at Spain, Italy, Germany, all have had bad results. It's not just happening to England.

If they keep going on about passion I expect them to show it.

It isn't one bad performance is it? Yet again it's an abject faliure to perform at a world cup. Remember the last World Cup was the same.

Yes other teams have had poor results, but only England have put in such a woeful performance(that's including Italy). The result, in the context of the players not putting the effort in, is irrelevant.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/6034663/

I'm tempted to say that Souness has a point, especially given his last point, however I'm also tempted to say that he wants to sound like the man in the know.

IF he's correct, and the medical staff were ignored, meaning that poor practise has been followed with regards preparing the players for altitude, expect lots of hoohah about it after the WC, and a very very poor performance on Weds.

The theory he says is correct, however, I'm not sure how the team have prepared, and I'm not exactly sure what the physiologists recommendations would be with regards living at altitude in preparation for a tournament. Perhaps Capello was complacent in leading the group, and gambled on the plus points in the KO stages outweighing the decreased performance in the Groups. If so, he was a very silly boy.

Yeah but when Lennon had a chance to take someone on and get a cross in he didn't, he decided to cut inside instead.

Belhadj and the other defender were showing him inside, he'd have looked like a right idiot if he then tried to go around the outside of them.

So why is he worried a German is refereeing the game - as you're not their rivals?

I think ye dumb Scots hae forgotteen what eet es tae be in ae Werrlyd Cup. Even thoo they arenae ur greetest rivals theys stell a rivalry tae teyke noot of.

What's Lampard's excuse?

Well to be honest, not just Lampard underperformed. Generally the whole team did also I think Capello is giving Gerrard the more attacking role and having a go where as Lampard will back to sit back and just give them the passes.

Well to be honest, not just Lampard underperformed. Generally the whole team did also I think Capello is giving Gerrard the more attacking role and having a go where as Lampard will back to sit back and just give them the passes.

So sick of Lampard getting let off with this excuse.

Desailly (the only non-English panellist, less biased?) thought it was very good.

I agree, Capello needed to let it be known that his former captain cannot be suggesting that Joe Cole plays to the media. It was a terrible thing to do.

Roll on Wednesday.

So Capello is a bit fecked off with Terry for coming out with those "I don't give a ****" comments "I'll say what I want, do what I want" attitude.

Some England players are a bit fecked off that Terry singled out Cole and Rooney to be the only players who can unlock defences? and are uneased that he named players who were drinking after a humiliating draw against Algeria.

There are discussing this on ITV now. Is it me or is Terry just a dick speaking for the team like that? Especially when he isn't captain. Also he said that he would continue to lead the team because that is who he is. He really hasn't accepted being stripped of the captaincy has he?

Terry had hinted in a press conference yesterday that the players were planning to confront the manager over team tactics, in a move dubbed the 'Cape Town Coup'.

But Lampard said today: 'I understand what John Terry was saying because he's passionate like that, as a player as a person.'

The former captain, who was stripped of the armband over a sex scandal, appeared to be leading some kind of coup against manager Fabio Capello yesterday as the post-mortem continued into England's abject 0-0 draw against Algeria.

Chelsea's Terry suggested that players were gearing up for a showdown with the Italian at a crisis team meeting that night.

He said that, after a beer and a talk among senior team-mates after their second bore draw of the World Cup campaign on Friday, players would force Capello to change his tactics and his disciplinarian treatment of the squad.

The Italian has banned WAGs and alcohol from their Rustenburg HQ and his refusal to name his team more than two hours in advance of a match is believed to be having a negative impact on the players.

But nobody expected Terry to go quite as far as he did talking to the Press.

‘If it upsets him [Capello] then I’m on the verge of just saying, “You know what? So what, I’m here to win it for England”,’ said Terry.

The players, he suggested, were going to rip up the Capello rule book.

Within a couple of hours of Terry’s meeting came communication from within the England hotel.

The players were furious that he had dragged them into such a situation, especially revealing the names of players who had met on Friday night.

Other than himself, Terry had named Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Aaron Lennon, David James, Peter Crouch, Glen Johnson, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard 'and probably a couple more'.

The men had allegedly insisted on breaking the booze ban in the wake of the 1-1 draw with the USA and the 0-0 against Algeria.

It makes sense that it was Lampard who came out today to try to maintain "unity"

When did he name other players exactly? Not in the long press conference that was doing the rounds yesterday.

They have two parts to the press conference. One with the Television media. One with the Print media. The one with the Print media follows the one with the Television media.

It was with the Print media that the players were named.

In addition to that, Just a comment to people questioning what Terry was doing talking to the press anyway....

When the press conferences are arranged, the FA Communications officer & Capello agree between them who will speak to the media that day. One player from the squad will be chosen to speak. This time it happened to be John Terry and i'm sure they're all wishing that never happened now.

I think it's fine to do it privately, but when you make it public like that, it just destablises everything. It's all well and good for people to point to the media and blame them for running with a story like this, but they've not made anything up, they're not trying to unsettle the team, John Terry has done far more damage than the press could ever have done on their own.

It just gives unnecessary attention and meaningless debate about the England team outside of football.

Next debate will be whether Terry should be dropped. It makes Capello's job 100 times harder. If he drops Terry then half the team is affected. If he keeps Terry then it is seen he has lost control of the dressing room. Whether England get through or not it will be seen as Capello's fault when in fact Terry has played a good proportion in team moral declining.

For once I actually agree with Gregg.

I also agree with some of the stuff Terry said, but he should have kept it private. At the same time I agree with Keegan, Capello more or less did the same thing afterwards, and shouldn't have.

But he has to address it because he is being put on the spot. The press conference shouldn't be about what Terry said, what Terry did or what he will do. It should be about Slovenia.

According to the Mirror, the "Cape Town Nine":

Terry

James

Gerrard

Lampard

Carragher

Rooney

Lennon

Crouch

Johnson

Seems they enjoyed a beer together after the game on Friday and had a bit of a moan. From that, Terry wrongly assumed that if he kicked off at Capello then the rest of them would back him.

So, much about nothing then really.

This. I saw JT's interview yesterday. Capello's today. Several papers this morning and now McNulty's blog above. I really don't understand what the heck the fuss is about. The only thing I'm mildly miffed about was JT trying to get his mate Joe Cole in the starting line up.

This. I saw JT's interview yesterday. Capello's today. Several papers this morning and now McNulty's blog above. I really don't understand what the heck the fuss is about. The only thing I'm mildly miffed about was JT trying to get his mate Joe Cole in the starting line up.

I wonder if JT hasn't hurt Cole's chances of making the starting 11 with his comments. Capello might leave him out now just to put Terry in his place.

In fairness though its not just JT whose trying to get Cole in the side, the vast majority of the media and fans did also, don't think he should be made a scapegoat for saying what we all think. And anyway he said those things abot COle because the journos asked him, he wasn't like 'yeah it will be crimianl if he doesn't play' it was more like 'Joe is a fantastic player who I'm sure would do a job if he played'.

Archived