The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just thought you would like to know.

Souness is doing some punditry for RTE and he is adamant your **** performances are down some sort of oxygen starvation, he was going on about APO, red blood cells and kidneys saying your body is at a downward spiral for the first 4 weeks of altitude as your body adjusts and he says same thing happened him with Scotland in Mexico.

He might be talking out his arse but still, its a theory.

Beat me to it.

It is EPO, erythropoietin. Living at altitude, you breath in less oxygen. Your oxygen receptors identify this, and order your kidneys to produce more EPO, which in turn tells your bone marrow to produce more red blood cells, to compensate for the lack of oxygen in the air. Very basically. It takes time for your body to fully adapt.

Didn't we stay in Austria for two weeks?

I think it may have been a little less, we also came back to England to play Mexico. Austria wasn't at the altitude we have been in South Africa, about half the distance above sea level, we also took altitude equipment with us to Austria to help acclimtise players before heading to South Africa ... once there we also still had the equipment with us.

Basically, some of the best minds in this kind of thing have been advising us so I am not buying that at all.

This one is backed up by science, unlike our ability to not be able to pass or have a terrible touch yesterday.

I do appreciate Souness' efforts to make excuses for us though :p

It's not altitude that is making you hoof balls 50 yards up the pitch to Heskey instead of even doing a decent build up play, it's not also altitude either that is making Capello choose players based on reputation purely instead of form or what's best for the team.

Not trying to wind up or anything, but that's just Souness looking for excuses.

It's not altitude that is making you hoof balls 50 yards up the pitch to Heskey instead of even doing a decent build up play, it's not also altitude either that is making Capello choose players based on reputation purely instead of form or what's best for the team.

Seeming to be second to every loose ball, lack of exerting themselves, etc. It is not everything, but Souness brings up a point.

No one has a map of where the different teams are staying then?

If the players are physically unwell/unfit (not sure the correct term) because of being at altitude it would explain a lot of the problems, especially the inability of players to control a ball or play a simple pass.

Not saying Souness is correct or anything. I wouldn't know.

Lets be positive now. Only conceeded one goal in 2 games and that was a bit of a freak goal :D 3 games if we include the Platinum Stars game :D

Oh, I'm cacking it for Wednesday now. Can see it going 2 ways, disaster, Algeria style stuff or we give Slovenia a 4/5-nil thrashing

Lets be positive now. Only conceeded one goal in 2 games and that was a bit of a freak goal :D 3 games if we include the Platinum Stars game :D

Oh, I'm cacking it for Wednesday now. Can see it going 2 ways, disaster, Algeria style stuff or we give Slovenia a 4/5-nil thrashing

Early goal is so key. Otherwise I can just imagine a tense filled match, constantly looking at the time! Or of course Slovenia could score then we'd be screwed :D

Beat me to it.

It is EPO, erythropoietin. Living at altitude, you breath in less oxygen. Your oxygen receptors identify this, and order your kidneys to produce more EPO, which in turn tells your bone marrow to produce more red blood cells, to compensate for the lack of oxygen in the air. Very basically. It takes time for your body to fully adapt.

Souness had to say something decent after his rape comment :D

He seemed to know what he was talking about and it makes sense as to why England are so sluggish.

I loved the way you posted the identical comment right after me, whats the chances :D

@ Blaming the altitude - it's the same for all teams.

And altitude only starts to make a big difference when it's 2,000 m or more, which is not the case in South Africa.

But the altitude has become the new heat, what was the excuse when England lost at home in the European Championship?

• Administrators
Whilst on the subject - who of England's U17 side will play for the full national team?

I think Chalobah, Garbutt, McEachran & Wickham all have a very good chance.

Definitely the four favourites although Garbutt has some depth ahead of him and Chalobah is still so young. McEachran has the talent but surely will need the build (in a similar way to Wilshere I guess) but I think Wickham could easily be on his way as early as Euro 2012, I love his game.

And altitude only starts to make a big difference when it's 2,000 m or more, which is not the case in South Africa.

But the altitude has become the new heat, what was the excuse when England lost at home in the European Championship?

It hasn't, you'll find very few England fans blaming the altitude. In Euro 96 we were just genuinely unlucky with the penalties against Germany. We actually tucked away 10 out of 11 penalties in that tournament.

See what happens when we play Gerrard left? The entire team breaks down.

If we're not going to play Joe Cole then we may as well send him home. Ideal opportunity to get him on last night for the last 20 minutes and inject a bit of pace and creativity down our left. Playing Gerrard there is basically taking the left-wing out of the game. He always cuts inside and uses his right and we're left with Ashley Cole bombing it up and down trying to attack and defend.

Start Joe Cole vs Slovenia. Drop Heskey. Put Gerrard behind Rooney. It's so ****ing simple.

If the formation changes and it's Gerrard behind Rooney, I have an awful feeling it would be SWP on the left. Joe Cole is just so out of favour at the moment- I said it before as much as I want him to play two of the top managers have pretty much ignored him this season, can't be as obvious as we all think it is.

I would prefer A.Johnson to SWP, even Downing or Ashley Young would be better.

See what happens when we play Gerrard left? The entire team breaks down.

If we're not going to play Joe Cole then we may as well send him home. Ideal opportunity to get him on last night for the last 20 minutes and inject a bit of pace and creativity down our left. Playing Gerrard there is basically taking the left-wing out of the game. He always cuts inside and uses his right and we're left with Ashley Cole bombing it up and down trying to attack and defend.

Start Joe Cole vs Slovenia. Drop Heskey. Put Gerrard behind Rooney. It's so ****ing simple.

Exactly, every single person in England knows that, the players know that. But the 1 fecking man in world football that doesn't seem to realise that is the one person who is the manager :(.

Capello just too damn stubborn and i feel that it will be our downfall.

Exactly, every single person in England knows that, the players know that. But the 1 fecking man in world football that doesn't seem to realise that is the one person who is the manager :(.

Capello just too damn stubborn and i feel that it will be our downfall.

I think Capello will go for the Gerrard behind Rooney option. He has too. Out of a job otherwise tbh. Please God its Joe Cole on the left. The way the tournament has gone for us so far is very Italia 90 esque. I have a feeling that once we beat Slovenia we can go far

If he doesn't fancy Cole then why not try Milner? I would have taken Johson he was in great form, by all accounts was very impressive in training and is a left footed wide player, I mean he's something different and variaty is such an important commodity in football especially at the world cup.

Archived