The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Rooney woeful for the second game running. Wright Phillips brought on again so he can show us all how to fail to beat a man. Passing was atrocious. Did I mention Rooney was awful.

And before people come in and say he wasn't, it's just we expect so much of him as he is our main threat, he really really has been an unmitigated shower of ***** these past 2 games.

Can't even beat Algeria. Al****ingGeria. Officially give up on the England national team as of now.

were you saying the same after your qualifiers finished?

I wasn't impressed by us in the qualifiers. Dodgy team selections, top players not performing, needing to smash and grab to beat lesser opposition, leaky defences..

Now when every game matters to both sides the flaws are shining through.

Why Gerrard wasn't subbed off at some point is beyond me. Who cares if he's the captain? Him being on the pitch was helping the other team more than us!

Because the same applied to 5 or 6 others, none of whom have the potential to win a match!

Because the same applied to 5 or 6 others, none of whom have the potential to win a match!

It seemed to me Gerrard was the one missing the large majority of chances, giving the ball away a lot, etc. Of course everyone in the team was at fault, but Gerrard was the one who stood out to me.

James - Did well, dealt with the ball in the air and some terrible backpasses well throughout

Johnson - Awful going forward, worse in defence. Was beaten 9/10.

Cole - Average. Not troubled defensively but was anonymous going forward.

Terry - Average. Again not really troubled but nearly made a mess of that one backpass.

Carragher - Looked vulnerable as usual. A good team is going to destroy him.

Barry - Did what was asked. Poor on the ball.

Lampard - No excuses tonight. Had Barry supporting him but contributed nothing offensively.

Lennon - Unwilling to take on his fullback. If he isn't going to do that what is he doing in the team?

Gerrard - Average. Put himself about but showed no finesse or guile.

Heskey - Completely out of his depth. Painful to watch.

Rooney - Unfit? Overweight? Disinterested? Was very lucky to even finish the match. Enough service? He was terrible with everything he did have.

SWP - More energy than Lennon, unfortunately he is out of his depth.

Defoe - More lively than Rooney and Heskey, little service.

Crouch - No time or service.

Capello - Unwilling or unable to change the display. Good managers earn their money when the going gets tough, it's time to act.

It seemed to me Gerrard was the one missing the large majority of chances, giving the ball away a lot, etc. Of course everyone in the team was at fault, but Gerrard was the one who stood out to me.

He did do that an awful lot, but I wouldn't have called him more culpable than Lampard or Rooney.

Yes, Gerrard and Rooney were both poor. Rooney the worst, though. Carragher out of Slovenia match, is King back? Dawson if not. Doesn't really inspire confidence.

I would honestly consider starting the Slovenia match without Rooney considering he has literally done feck all but flash one quick shot wide of the US goal in a whole 2 matches.

Heskey was our best player against the US, but wasn't as effective tonight. I'd happily go with Defoe and Crouch against Slovenia.

He did do that an awful lot, but I wouldn't have called him more culpable than Lampard or Rooney.

I just found myself screaming at Gerrard a lot more. Of course, I was screaming at every English player on the pitch (apart from James) at one point or another. :p

James - Very good, made up for Terry's **** awful back pass, good claiming from corners.

Johnson - Awful at both ends of the pitch.

Carragher - Atleast he got himself booked

Terry - Not convincing, James bailed him out.

A.Cole - Average.

Lennon - Average, doesn't help when he barely sees the ball. Needs to be told to go himself.

Lampard - Ghost.

Barry - Did his job, still limited.

Gerrard - Poor, but out of position.

Rooney - Would love to see his pass completion rate. He's just not there at all

Heskey - Awful.

SWP - Tried, but he's not very good.

Defoe - Looked lively, nothing to feed on.

Personally I'd completely change it around for the Slovenia game, I would honestly drop Lampard, Rooney and Heskey right now, no matter how stupid that sounds.

Player - Rating/10

James - 8

Johnson - 4

Carragher - 5

Terry - 6

Cole - 7

Barry - 7

Lampard - 5

Lennon - 6

Gerrard - 7

Heskey - 5

Rooney - 5

That pretty much sums it up for me. James, Cole, Barry and Gerrard were decent enough, but not great, whilst the rest of the team was very poor. The subs were no better than the players they replaced either.

I'd love to see this team against Slovenia, just to shake it up a bit:

- - - - - - - - - - James - - - - - - - - -

- - Johnson Dawson Terry A.Cole - -

- - - - - - - - - - Barry - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lennon - - - - - - - J.Cole - - Rooney

- - - - - - - - Defoe - - - - - - - - - - -

James - Probably had more pressure on him than anyone else in the team, did well.

Johnson - Shaky at the back, miles off his performance going forward against USA, poor.

Cole - I'd put him 2nd behind James performance wise, solid

Terry - Didn't have a lot asked of him and that backpass was ridiculously stupid.

Carragher - Not very good anymore is he?

Barry - Was fairly impressed in the first half, got worse and worse as the game went on.

Lampard - Quiet, kept possesion better than the others but still poor.

Lennon - No idea why he didn't take anyone on? Average but still better than most.

Gerrard - Could tell he wanted to be the match winner and make the chances, failed EVERY time, shocking.

Heskey - Better than those around him despite being average/poor, needs to be dropped mind,

Rooney - He has to be unfit surely? Even on a poor game his first touch isn't that bad is it?

SWP - Ran around a lot, nope thats all the positives done.

Defoe - Lively I guess, still wouldn't play him though.

Crouch - Nothing.

Player - Rating/10

James - 8

Johnson - 4

Carragher - 5

Terry - 6

Cole - 7

Barry - 7

Lampard - 5

Lennon - 6

Gerrard - 7

Heskey - 5

Rooney - 5

That pretty much sums it up for me. James, Cole, Barry and Gerrard were decent enough, but not great, whilst the rest of the team was very poor. The subs were no better than the players they replaced either.

I'd love to see this team against Slovenia, just to shake it up a bit:

- - - - - - - - - - James - - - - - - - - -

- - Johnson Dawson Terry A.Cole - -

- - - - - - - - - - Barry - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lennon - - - - - - - J.Cole - - Rooney

- - - - - - - - Defoe - - - - - - - - - - -

If your ratings were out of 20 I'd agree(apart from James)

RK	TEAM		        P	W	D	L	GS	GA	GD	Pts
1	Slovenia	        2	1	1	0	3	2	1	4
2	United States	2	0	2	0	3	3	0	2
3	England		2	0	2	0	1	1	0	2
4	Algeria		2	0	1	1	0	1	-1	1

Stolen from another thread. If England draw, and US draw presumably that means it will be Slovenia/US that go through?

RK	TEAM		        P	W	D	L	GS	GA	GD	Pts
1	Slovenia	        2	1	1	0	3	2	1	4
2	United States	2	0	2	0	3	3	0	2
3	England		2	0	2	0	1	1	0	2
4	Algeria		2	0	1	1	0	1	-1	1

Stolen from another thread. If England draw, and US draw presumably that means it will be Slovenia/US that go through?

I gamed it out from a US perspective:

Currently the table is:

SLV 4 (3 GF +1)

USA 2 (3 GF --)

ENG 2 (1 GF --)

ALG 1 (0 GF -1)

USA win over Algeria

SLV win: SLV 7 USA 5 ENG 2 ALG 1

Draw: SLV 5 USA 5 ENG 3 ALG 1

ENG win: ENG 5 USA 5 SLV 4 ALG 1

USA draw with Algeria

SLV win: SLV 7, USA 3, ENG 2, ALG 2

Draw: SLV 5, USA 3, ENG 3, ALG 1

ENG win: ENG 5, SLV 4, USA 3, ALG 1

USA loss to Algeria

SLV win: SLV 7, ALG 4, ENG 2, USA 2

Draw: SLV 5, ALG 4, ENG 3, USA 2

ENG win: ENG 5, ALG 4, SLV 4, USA 2

AFAICT, there's no scenario other than a win that gets England through.

Gutted. Convinced we would win, but we were shocking. You can just feel the immense pressure the players are under.

Heskey trying step overs just summed it all up. Rooney looks in awful form at the moment, Lampard and Gerrard weren't great either. Thought James looked very comfortable. It was so obvious that Capello was going to bring on SWP for Lennon, Lennon was hardly great- needs to get running with the ball, but SWP was his usual poor self. J.Cole? Really think he could have made a difference.

Carragher missing the next game is good, either Dawson/Upson will do for me.

4-5-1 PLEASE!

Unless we draw 3-3 or something, while you draw 0-0 :D
If England draw 3-3 and USA draw 0-0 then we'd go through on goals scored.

Yeah, just realized that myself. But that's pretty much threading the needle.

Gerrard was poor, but there were many worse than him. Only James and Barry looked good (Barry first half especially), though I also thought Heskey did ok. Got stuck in, but the midfield's supply was dire, and Rooney was anonymous and out of touch. Worrying :/

Don't see what all the hate for Gerrard is about, he looked like our best player a lot of the time, even if he didn't play particularly well. He was one of the few who stood out as actually wanting it. But that's just my viewpoint.

He never looked like our best player. At times he just looked bored. A lot of the players did.

Gerrard was awful, don't think he understands the concept of having a position.

You think he wasn't told to roam?

He never looked like our best player. At times he just looked bored. A lot of the players did.

Okay, and that's your opinion, obviously we differ.

Archived