The Official English National Football Team Thread

What do you mean? Hart, Milner, Lennon, Huddlestone, Ashley Young, Jagielka, Baines were young players 5 years ago?

And they have really stepped up yet! This is more or less the same England team from 5 years ago. The players above should have forced their way in by this stage.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd give it a go at trying to name it....

Hart

glen Johnson

kieran Gibbs

terry

rodwell/smalling(depending on where rodwell ends up playing)

Lennon

wilshire

morrison

rodwell

milner

Rooney

What do you mean? Hart, Milner, Lennon, Huddlestone, Ashley Young, Jagielka, Baines were young players 5 years ago?

5 years ago

Ben foster

Steven taylor

Carlton cole

Theo walcott

Ashley young

David bentley

Micheal johnson

Micah richards

Like the previous post

They made it

The forgotton genaration

I did find it a bit weird it was Terry speaking and not Gerrard...now it all makes sense. :D

I don't know what Terry was expecting but with Capello he doesn't negotiate and everything must be done his way. There is no "other" way. He gives no quarter...and I would not be surprised if Capello dropped Terry had he gone through with his "clear the air"...maybe never even play again for England whilst Capello was still coach of England.

It's just the media trying to stir up trouble. They always seem to be backing the team until one tiny thing goes wrong then they jump on everything they can to spite them. That's one of the reasons why I hate almost everything to do with popular culture and the modern state of the country.

I think he lost respect from Terry, and maybe some of the other players, when he took the captaincy away from Terry. What happens with his sex life off the pitch has nothing to do with his playing, and the manager should have stuck by him, but he didn't.

I think he lost respect from Terry, and maybe some of the other players, when he took the captaincy away from Terry. What happens with his sex life off the pitch has nothing to do with his playing, and the manager should have stuck by him, but he didn't.

Capello is a devout Catholic...is still married has raised 2 sons...

Terry? Cheats on his wife and sleeps with team-mates ex-partner...in team-mates home with kid/s around. Terrys dad shift drugs in his spare time...

Can see why Capello doesn't want Terry to wear the arm-band...not exactly role-model material. ;)

Why is Terry doing a press conference?

He wasn't that critical as the paper was making out.

I can see why Beckham was brought in. Sort of a middle man between manager and players. Becks is the real captain. Terry is the wannabe and Gerrard is the smoke screen.

Becks has a very good relationship with the media aswell, and probably takes away a bit of the paparazzi heat just by being there. Plus he is a passionate England fan and player, who has always given 100% for the shirt, wished there'd have ben a few more like him playing on Friday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7841849/World-Cup-2010-England-fan-who-criticised-players-could-face-year-in-jail.html

That fan might be in trouble ... anyone else not entirely comfortable with this concept of 'World Cup court' I keep hearing about? They're prosecuting people for such heinous crimes as drinking the non official beer ... wtf, does Uncle Sepp think he's head of a country here?

Haha JT. Shambles really. Coup is the wrong word though. Not really a coup, media getting carried away a bit.

Feel sorry for Heskey, he's put a shift in over these 2 games, one of the few players to play ok, and now the whole crux of this coup is to drop him for JT's mate.

I can't believe the whole boredom stuff that they are saying. FFS, you have a games room, darts, pool, swimming pool, luxery hotel with your mates.

Capello is a devout Catholic...is still married has raised 2 sons...

Terry? Cheats on his wife and sleeps with team-mates ex-partner...in team-mates home with kid/s around. Terrys dad shift drugs in his spare time...

Can see why Capello doesn't want Terry to wear the arm-band...not exactly role-model material. ;)

Oh really cause Rio Ferdinand such a great role model, taking drugs while playing football and don't forget Gerrard beating a man up in a club.

I am not liking this stuff that's coming out of the squad atm.

Why was Terry having this press conference thing last night? You have a problem with the Manager's methods you approach the Manager "listen guv, a few of us would like to chat" not come out and go on about 'clear the air' meetings and upsetting people. Then you read other members of the squad are not happy about Terry's approach as they intended to approach Capello more diplomatically.

Terry's been going on about relaxing the alcohol ban and this is something I think there is something to, there doesn't seem a lot of 'fun' around the England camp, maybe a couple (couple, not 10!) of drinks and chatting openly about the game might be an idea. I hear they're not allowed to play video games ... boredom will always be a factor in tournaments (Players bored. They have some of the best facilities money can buy, they were apparently playing Golf yesterday.

Also wondering what Beckham is doing here, isn't he the liaison between squad and Manager?

Terry apparently persuaded to not speak his mind, I can only assume cause Gerrard, you know, the captain, wanted to approach it differently?

Seems like Terry is speaking on behalf of the team and the rest of the team don't quite agree, he's spoken about tensions and I don't think the squad wanted that to come out.

If Capello names his squad 2 hours before then so be it, if this really is a problem then someone should approach him and explain why they feel this way, see what can be done. Apparently they want to play with 1 up top and they want Joe Cole to play (we are all baffled by that one tbh) and also hinted at a lack of preparation regarding breaking down Algeria ... Capello, lack of preparation, I just don't believe that one and also ... you can't see what is happening on the pitch, ffs??

They're going for a 1990-esque change in formation that the players requested by the sounds of it but I don't the semi final be on the back of it as a result :/

It's all going mad and frankly I don't like it - I just want to get through the group, what happens after, happens but my hope is gone now, they have drained me :D

I’ve been a bit surprised by Cappello at this tournament. When he came in he was supposedly not fussed on player reputations, wouldn’t stand for underperformance and would pick the best players for the formation regardless of who gets left out, but he doesn’t seem to be doing any of that.

Instead he seems to be sticking with 4-4-2 with the big man / little man combo and sticking players out of position. You could argue he’s made an example out of Green but he’s not exactly the only underperformer and it’s a lot easier to drop someone in a position no one has nailed down.

He’s done well to get this far, but that won’t count for much if he doesn’t perform on the big stage. So far I haven’t seen any tactical wizardry from him and his sides may as well have been picked by the likes of Taylor, Keegan or McLaren.

I think the tactical side was disappointing against Algeria, basically switched like for like in Lennon and SWP when we clearly weren't getting the ball out wide enough as it is, all our passing was in straight lines, very easy to deal with for their defence, full backs didn't get up, aside from early on Ashley Cole was hardly forward at all and he's bloody excellent at getting forward.

The players have had doses of Capello, go to Kazakhstan and "we like the discipline" but this is different, this is 4 or 5 weeks (including pre-tournament) when he's the Dad, he's in charge and dictating their day-to-day stuff and they don't seem happy with it.

Saying they're too isolated but previously this was 'great' as meant less distractions. Players need to occupy themselves too, can't mope about going on about how bored you are, your mind should be focussed on the game and I am sure this is behind a lot of what Capello has done even down to not naming the team until late, keep everyone sharp and all prepared as if they're all potentially going to play.

There does seem to be a shortage of fun in the England camp and that translates onto the pitch, I don't think I have seen an England player smile yet aside from Gerrard's goal, coming out for the game everyone seems uptight, no one seems happy, hardly any chatting. I know it's a lot of pressure and this is serious stuff but you need some light moments to break up the tension too

I tend not to listen to the reasons given by the press because they could be as in the dark as the rest of us so throwing in random complaints. The players are bored, the players can’t drink, the players can’t play computer games, the players have to do the hokey-cokey every day.

Some might be accurate but some could just be random guesses which people lap up as if they’re the absolute truth.

Some of those things seem to have come out from Terry though, the boredom, etc and the rest of what he said about methods and clearing the air. I don't think the press is making up these tensions though, something is not right.

When did the Dutch become the side that wins ugly and everything is calm in their camp? :D

I think the tactical side was disappointing against Algeria, basically switched like for like in Lennon and SWP when we clearly weren't getting the ball out wide enough as it is, all our passing was in straight lines, very easy to deal with for their defence, full backs didn't get up, aside from early on Ashley Cole was hardly forward at all and he's bloody excellent at getting forward.

The players have had doses of Capello, go to Kazakhstan and "we like the discipline" but this is different, this is 4 or 5 weeks (including pre-tournament) when he's the Dad, he's in charge and dictating their day-to-day stuff and they don't seem happy with it.

Saying they're too isolated but previously this was 'great' as meant less distractions. Players need to occupy themselves too, can't mope about going on about how bored you are, your mind should be focussed on the game and I am sure this is behind a lot of what Capello has done even down to not naming the team until late, keep everyone sharp and all prepared as if they're all potentially going to play.

There does seem to be a shortage of fun in the England camp and that translates onto the pitch, I don't think I have seen an England player smile yet aside from Gerrard's goal, coming out for the game everyone seems uptight, no one seems happy, hardly any chatting. I know it's a lot of pressure and this is serious stuff but you need some light moments to break up the tension too

I don't think tactics was bad, they just didn't follow the tactics I think.. like they couldn't even pass to each other was horrible to watch, also I felt like England was in pressure when a player was running at them when I watched Brazil yesterday their players get into space and relax when they get the pass something we can't do :(

The tactics were 4-4-2 with a right-footed central midfielder on the left wing and when things clearly weren’t working he took off a pacey right-winger who runs at players for another pacey right-winger who runs at players.

I’m not sure how those tactics can be deemed as not bad.

I do get fed up of hearing "we know we have to do better" from players after every below-par match at a tournament, we had this all the way through 2006 in Germany. If you know you have to do better then why don't you address what's happening when you're playing.

"We didn't press the ball enough" according to Gerrard .. did it not occur to you 20 minutes in, 40 minutes, 60 ... maybe we should press the ball more it just seems baffling.

Capello must have lost his voice shouting. I think that dressing room after the Algeria game would have been very interesting indeed

Unfortunately neither of those pacey right wingers did a lot of running at players

Blames to Glen Johnson for that, kept making run which led to Lennon dropping to cover him, also we didn't technically have a left midfield.

If we didn’t have a left midfield then he might want to question why he didn’t bring some left-midfielders to the tournament, stick someone on the left side who is comfortable playing there, or pick a formation that doesn’t rely on them so much.

I think he’s just underestimated Algeria and decided that it doesn’t matter if the team is disjointed since it’s only a diddy side and he’s paid the price.

German ref for Wednesday?????!

Least you have your excuse for that game....

You do know you are not the German's worst enemy at this World Cup? You're a nuisance more than anything. Now if it was a Dutch referee the Germans or vice versa in a must win then I'd think FIFA had a cruel streak...

We all know that. Germany are our biggest rivals, but we aren't theres. Same reason Man Utd are Man City's biggest rivals but they aren't United's (Liverpool are). We are Scotland's biggest rivals but they aren't ours etc etc. Very common thing in football, nowt wrong with it.

I don't think he was being serious. We are still their rivals, just not as big as Holland or Poland. I'm sure they'd still love to see us go out early.

Though you shouldn't entertain any notion that a ref will be biased because of nationality, I'm guessing it was slightly tongue in cheek comment.

Blames to Glen Johnson for that, kept making run which led to Lennon dropping to cover him, also we didn't technically have a left midfield.

Yeah but when Lennon had a chance to take someone on and get a cross in he didn't, he decided to cut inside instead.

These England players are really annoying me, every one of them utters the same soundbite's about passion and pride every time they open their mouth's, but it's clear that on Friday some of them stopped trying. Ok you can't flick a switch and start playing well, what you can do is run your bloody socks off, as an example to others if nothing else. Not only do they make themselves look like poor players by putting in such and appalling performance, they also make themselves look like liers by banging on about how passionate they are. SHOW IT THEN!!!

^What do you expect them to say?

We had the best record out of everyone during qualifying. One bad performance vs. Algeria and people are basically repenting their sins in fear of the world ending. It's pathetic.

Look at Spain, Italy, Germany, all have had bad results. It's not just happening to England.

Archived