Your Personal Loyalty as Manager

Do you ever feel a bit dirty for leaving a manager role after just one or two seasons?

I accepted an offer to manage an aging Everton squad, thinking that I could overhaul them and build them into a contender in a few seasons. We got on a lucky roll in my first season and won the EPL, and now I feel like leaving because my main objective has been achieved. I'd rather be a builder than a maintainer, but leaving after just one season feels a bit disloyal.

In my first save i took tonbridge to the EPL, Finished 2nd and then got an offer from Milan and 5 minutes after i took it. i felt dirty. as we were moving up divisions i told all those players that wanted to go to a higher league to stick with the team and we would get there. then i bolted at first chance.

To be honest I think you're better off leaving on a high! And I'd imagine the Everton supporters/directors (in the gameworld) would be thrilled you'd won them the title as no disrespect to Everton, but it's a good few years since they challenged at the top IRL. The other thing you have to consider is that things could go wrong next season (if you have an aging squad) and you could struggle, and even be sacked. I remember last time Everton were the top team in English football, and that's precisely what happened. The players got old together and more youthful teams passed them by. So my advice would be to celebrate your win, and leave. Maybe look to take over a team that isn't at the top, but has more scope to progress.

I always seem to regret jumping ship on FM; I've had great saves with smaller sides where I've made them top contenders in Europe and then left for a more established club and the save has died after 2-3 more seasons. Zwolle, Boavista and Rayo were going great guns but then after going to Spurs, Schalke and Bayern respectively I lost all interest. So I now try and stay where I'm at as for me the grass is never greener.

On FM15 I left my favourite club, the local team I've supported since I was even aware of football, as soon as Man City started sniffing around. I did it in a heartbeat, was loathed by the fans as some kind of traitor, and didn't regret it for one second. I'd done a good job there, but couldn't take them any further than I did.

I've always struggled when it comes to having Journeymen saves. On FM2005 i only ever played one save. I started un-employed, spent 2 seasons at Rushden and Diamonds (getting them to league 2). I then took over Bradford City in League 1 and got them into the premier league. At the end of that season i received and offer from Chelsea which i took. I got them back into the Champions league and received and offer (i say i got an offer but i'm sure i used to apply for jobs also) from Real Madrid, got sacked during my first season. To the point though, i always felt bad leaving Bradford as getting promoted was an over achievement and they never had a chance of staying up without me as manager. After i got sacked by Real Madrid i waited for that job to come up (they were back in the championship) and took it asap. That is probably to this day the longest save i've ever played. Don't think i completed a save after that season and the next game i got was FM08.

Apart from that one time, if i'm considering leaving a club (generally LFC as i always play as them in my main save) i don't save over the game so i'm able to go back and pick up from where i left off for if/when i get bored of the new challenge

I've only ever left a team once on a save throughout FM, when I moved from Napoli to Man City.. I always regretted it because I was forever seeing the Napoli team continue to develop without my guidance..

Starting a new game I believe is the best when deciding to go another team.

On FM15 I took FC United from the northern premier premier league (took 3 years to get promoted out of that league) all the way up to the premier league I think in around 10 /12 seasons ,then I made FC United into a solid premier league team and got to the Europa league final n lost, but got offered the job at Manchester United and jumped ship, Man Utd are the team I follow IRL plus there a much much bigger team then FC United will ever be so it seemed like a good choice, well only to be sacked 8 months later after poor performances, I ended up gutted, then Celtic came knocking, they haven't won the league in 5 years ( Rangers dominated ) and little cup success in the past 5 years, so I took the job with aim off breaking the dominance and brought back the title ( 3 seasons in a row) plus dosmectic cups to Celtic park with another europa league final defeat to my name 0/2 in that competition,so I done what I set out to do at Celtic so I left for sunny Spain and joined espanyol who were struggling mid table team, my aim with them was to make them a top 4 team in Spain, after 2 years building the team( I Won the europa league no more cup final heartache) I managed to break the usual top two of Spain (barca/Real Madrid) I came second and qualified for the champions league, well that next year was one to remember we managed the holy grail in Spain and managed to beat barca to the title on the last day, win the copa del rey and surprisingly we only gone and won the champions league. It was the first time to win the champions league (as I only play lower leagues ) so I was delighted..

Leaving a team you helped to mold n build for so long can be hard but that's the beauty of football it can bring you into a total different direction with heartache and joy which is why it's the beautiful game

It's funny you posted this as I was asking myself the exact same question yesterday! Just like you did with Everton, I achieved everything I wanted to achieve (and more) in just one season with Manchester United. I went the entire season unbeaten in the league and won the treble, achieving more than Fergy did in 1999 with that unbeaten league season added in. My initial thoughts were that I would be there for at least 5 seasons, but having dominated to such a degree, I decided to find a new challenge to the horror of the fans.

I then moved to Rangers who had struggled during the first season and managed to get them promoted at the first time of asking and won the Scottish Cup at the same time. I then went on to pick up a 2nd place finish in the Scottish Premier and then the Manchester City job became available. We finished a massive 26 points behind first placed Celtic, so I knew it would be a few seasons before we could even get close to them.

With Manchester United, I didn't have really have many regrets, except that I wasn't able to play the Super Cup and World Club Cup the following season.

With Rangers, I really struggled to make a decision whether to leave or not and have a lot of regrets to be honest, although I had achieved my main aim which was to once again establish the club as one of the best in Scottish football.

However, I would also have regrets if I had missed out on the chance to manage Manchester City as they were struggling and only just scraped 4th place last season. Regrets all round :D

It always bothers me when I build a club up from nothing, leave for a better opportunity (or because the chairman won't bend to my will), and the next coach comes in and benches/sells off my old squad and sends them right to the bottom of the league. But since I mostly start unemployed and take the first job offered (with a low-level manager profile), I generally have to make a couple jumps to get anywhere.

Enjoying a journeyman save at the moment, won the league 3 times with Ajax and then moved to Borussia Monchengladbach as I fancied a new challenge. Somehow won the league 1st season, but finances dire, so jumped ship when PSG came calling. Always look back to see how my old teams are doing though, like to leave a legacy

Do you ever feel a bit dirty for leaving a manager role after just one or two seasons?

I accepted an offer to manage an aging Everton squad, thinking that I could overhaul them and build them into a contender in a few seasons. We got on a lucky roll in my first season and won the EPL, and now I feel like leaving because my main objective has been achieved. I'd rather be a builder than a maintainer, but leaving after just one season feels a bit disloyal.

I have basically two modes of play: Play as my actual self and start at the very bottom, in which case I feel *zero* loyalty, my aim is always to get a job with Liverpool and make them the best side in world football. The other way I play is to just pick Liverpool from the start and play them until I get bored (usually once everybody in the game is a regen I begin to lose interest, though not always).

Trying to follow jose mourinho way, get champion league then go to another country for treble again and again.

It is amazing if you look at mourinho achievement in this 12 years since Porto.

I think it is very difficult to replicate even in a game.

My game just promoted to PL.

Looking for a local cup and an Euro Cup first.

The promotion TV money is so huge, just got 30 mn although after transfer window. Very well enough to build a 4 to 4.5 star team.

In all the years I have played FM I have never managed anyone (bar England) other than West Ham. Have had a few offers but always turned them down as even in a game I just can't see myself managing another Club in the Premier League and playing against them. No interest in other Leagues and if I get bored with a save I just start a new one and buy different players etc. Have always wondered what it would be like to have unlimited funds etc but have never gone down that route. A one Club man me!!!

I took Bournemouth to the Europa League final and 5th in the league, improved the club's facilities over a few seasons and moved into a 28k seater stadium. Finances were growing with every success and we were attracting top European players. However, the chance to manage a struggling Liverpool and turn them back into a powerhouse came up and I took, not realizing how awful the squad there was and that even financially the club weren't in the best spot. Horror upon horror, we relegated, I got the chop and Bournemouth finished 5th in the league again. I've now just been sacked by Brighton and see Bournemouth knocking on the door of a Champions League spot. Its genuinely quite painful to see. Totally my own fault though and perhaps a victim of my own ego! :p

I tend to not jump ship until I'm convinced the club has sufficient reputation to bring in someone who's good enough to keep them going in the right direction.

Last time I left a club was in 15 when I took Burnley to the CL, developed their facilities using the money earned and made sure they were a team that would survive and prosper in the PL. I went to Milan, who by a quirk of fate I beat in the CL knockout phase to get in the CL proper. They came in for me in December after we came third in the CL group. Then played Burnley in the semi finals of the UEFA cup that year. Narrowly winning before getting beat in the final by Spurs.

By the time I inevitably ended up with Liverpool after about 6 years, Burnley were a well established UEFA cup team, regularly getting to the later stages and winning the FA cup one year. The new 40k stadium I requested was also up and running.

Milan, by this time had been turned into European giants again. Won the CL 3 times in a row and had hugely talented young players coming through as well as a world class 1st team.

So yeah my rule is really to move on when I'm confident the team can do well without me. Unless Liverpool are struggling and need me.

I always end up switching teams. I always stay loyal when under contract though. If I have a chance at one of my favorite clubs I take it, if they offer an interview and I'm under contract, I attend. Otherwise I only apply to open jobs when unemployed my list of favorite clubs is getting longer.........(mostly due to having fun with certain teams in other saves)

List of Favorite teams:(Teams I have led to prominence in game or follow in real life)

Liverpool

New England Revolution

AS St. Etienne

Bari

Clermont Foot

Hmm, I usually just start a new save, but love the idea of journeyman saves, so I took one on, beginning unemployed.

First club was Assyriska in the Swedish 2nd division, a job I quit after one league game, as the board sold my key player behind my back. Later found out they got relegated right out of the playable divisions, tough luck, not bothered.

Second club was Siofok, a Hungarian 2nd division side. I saved them from relegation, next season got promoted setting records(and signed a hot prospect from Assyriska), and 3rd season I won the 1st division. Ended up walking after that as my contract was up and they wouldn't play ball with the clauses I wanted. Checked later on and the very next season they were relegated, and after that became a lower half 2nd division side(the side I built torn asunder incredibly quickly). Kinda regret that, I think I could have made them a top Hungarian side and maybe get into the group stages of European competition.

Third was national team management, with Jamaica, who picked me up after qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. Took them to the Quater Finals, then won a Caribbean Cup. Moved on as I wanted to go back to club management and I was struggling to find a club that would take me as I was already at Jamaica(I think). Happy with that, done well moved on.

After this, I applied for the Coventry job, in a Championship relegation battle and was rejected, being told I didn't even make their short-list. Happily, a few days later, Blackburn who just confirmed Championship survival offered me the hot seat. 2 games left, guess who I hammered to confirm their relegation?!

Halfway through the next season now, unbeaten in the league and just after pulling off the January deadline day signing of Leon Goretzka, who's career has been massively disappointing so far, but he'll still be the best player at the club. Everything's looking rosy at Blackburn, a project, a bright future and a decent youth academy. Reckon I'll be here for the long haul unless things go really pear shaped.

Been quite a journey so far, but one of the most fun saves I've had.

On FM15, I left Dortmund after winning the champions league for Man City and I kicked myself so much for making that decision. I had built my own squad at Dortmund and went to a Man City team who were aging. Terrible decision!

I always end up leaving Nottingham Forest before I get sacked as I hate seeing them playing bad.

I move around quite a bit, at least in the earlier years of my saves (and I tend to only have 1 long term save per FM, though I do sometimes have a side project where I'll try a specific team for a season or two). I like to start at the lower end of whichever country I'm playing in, and work my way up, but I find there's something rather immersion breaking about taking a BSS team to the top of the Premiership, so I usually end up staying 2-3 years at a club before moving on to bigger and better places. Once I end up at a mid-table or above top flight team though, I tend to stick at it, at least until I've achieved considerable long term success and developed a good crop or two of youngsters into world beaters, at which point I might look for a good job in another country for a new challenge.

Archived