You Know You've Played Football Manager Too Much When...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know when others have played too much when they are using their success on it too judge the Manager of a RL team and who he should buy.I over heard some Derby fans doing just this a few Months ago.

I have found that I am watching games and studying the tactical side more as if I am Scouting rather than a supporter.And I often look up an opposition player that's impressed me IRL

When your girlfriend knows just as much about your FM team as the team you support in real life.

When seeing me grumpy on a Saturday afternoon, she's asked me 'who lost? Real team or FM team?'

When watching an obscure foreign football match and seeing a 17 year old playing and thinking 'you're gonna have a great career ahead of you mate, just you see. You may be 0-1 down at home in the derby, but things will get better.' That player in question was Sascha Horvath of Austria Vienna, who went on to become club captain (winning 10 back to back league titles, 7 Austrian cups, the Europa League and play in a Champions League Semi Final) and international regular.

When seeing subtitles on a TV show and thinking 'bah, I can read 10 times quicker than this. Where's the button on the remote to speed them up a bit?'

Not that any of these have ever happened of course...

• 3 months later...

When you show the thumbs-up to the display when your goalkeeper makes a good save as if he can see you and appreciate your support.

When you go outside after a particularly successful FM session and daydream about people recognizing you for your impressive achievements and trying to take your autograph.

When you start to dislike certain managers in real-life based on what their FM incarnations have said about you at press-conferences.

• 4 months later...

I've recently moved from Montreal to Banff, which involves a 2 day 15 hour bus ride, where the whole time was spent playing FM. In the league 2 play off final as Exeter City against Wycombe, 2-2 after 90 mins, both of mine scored by the absolute legend that is Aiden O'Brien. 118 minutes in, I'm bringing my penalty takers on, and as Andrew Tutte and Jack Redshaw are warming up to come on, a cross comes in from Alan Gow on the left,; O'Brien rises like a salmon, and sticks it in the top left corner. I go ****ing metal. Out loud. Was hearing whispered stories about 'that weird English guy sat in the near the back' for the rest of the trip.

I feel like being able to remember my scorers, the assist, and who was coming on for the pens is bad enough in itself.

Archived