Relegated with Football Manager

How often have you been relegated with Football Manager?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Number of relegations with your team

• 0 times
    • 1-2 times
    • 3-4 times
    • 4-6 times
    • More then 6 times

Just now, H_a_a_k_o_n said:

Never been relagated and not being sacked. Is it possible to survive a relegation?

Yes, quite possible. Does depend on a few things, of course. If the relegation wasn't really unexpected (fight bravely against relegation, for example) then you wouldn't have underperformed as such, so you could stay. You better your chances at least by succeeding in other areas, like watching finances etc according to the club vision.

Started a youth only career in England with newly promoted Stratford Town. Stayed in the Vanarama regionals for 10 seasons before finally getting relegated. Also had a relegation in Portugal in another youth career, still that was after the first season and I played with only 3 defenders in the whole team. Currently having better success in Wales with Caersws where I've gotten promoted to the top tier and survived two seasons so far.

I've  only been relegated once, when I took over a newly promoted French side with only greyed players a few editions back.  The challenge proved too much for me.  I was heading for relegation with Bath City last year, but the board took action before it was mathematically confirmed.  A handful of other times I've jumped.

On 16/01/2020 at 21:04, Forza#8903 said:

Let's face it, with all the success stories on this forum you ask yourself sometimes if you are the only one who is failing..

Playing FM19, 4 Seasons in, never relegated - however, in VNN with no lower leagues added via a pack so irrelevant oops. 

I played a CaC and got promoted, was the weakest Team in the league, did a remakrable midfield Position in the final table the first year and then the ME was patched and the weight of Player skill increased thus i got 1 Point out of 10 Matches so i resigned - i call that similar to a Relegation.

I remember only one relegation (probably happened more often, but that's the one I remember), but it wasn't exactly my fault. I took charge of some scandinavian side that was deep in relegation zone and I didn't realize that there were only few games left, because it was summer or early fall.

In this 2020 i'm not good at all. 

Usually i stay Always with the same team, but in this edition....

After stay 5 years with a second division team in Hungary getting good results (promotion, relegation, promotion , 7 Place in First that is the team best results ever and a very bad last year) i was sacked and since than i change team every year, 7 team in 7 years, most of the time i was sacked, 3 times i left. 

My best results a second place in First Division and 2 final in Hungarian Cup. 

The worst was sacked by MTK that was my favourite team after half season...

In someway that is a funny run. 

(My only complain Is that i never succeded to create a tactic that i want and the game are Always a 1v1 party. But i wait for the official next patch)

(And i find very sad that i bult-up a team with promising youth and the next manager get them ready)

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

Been twice in FM2020 with IFK Helsenfors in Finland, kept my job and won promotion year after.

Finished bottom with Anzhi in Russian first division so they got relegated and disappeared from the game, as a result I was sacked, was not able to get another job after trying fornover 18 months so had to start another save.

From my memory, four times:

- When I was playing with Suduroy (Faroe Islands), then I went back to the first division and won seven league titles in a row.

- Once managing Altrincham in FM19, started unemployed and got them rock bottom in midseason. We fought until the end but couldn't avoid the drop.

- When I was playing in a custom DB with Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany, my team was terrible and we got thrashed every week.

- The last one was playing in Brazil with Série B side Operário Ferroviário. The board expected to fight bravely against relegation. We had a good season overall, but started losing games in the final rounds and entered the relegation zone with two rounds to go, finishing 17th (20 clubs).

9 minutes ago, skybluedude said:

Many relegations in the older games, but no some much in the last few releases, things seem to have gotten easier.

Personally, I only booted up FM19 again after a break from FM for a year a week before beta of FM20 the former still playing and the latter I have not purchased, yet.

I'd say there are definitely more defined patterns in FM19 then FM09 - FM17 and feel it's how you react to them, gut or head? I think said patterns suit some people and some not.

Never been 'really' successful in the FM series, but still really enjoy it!

Edited by SOULjah

Not relegated yet but 2 for 2 being fired. First attempt in Spain I didn't last the season, second attempt in Scotland fired in my 3rd season. Both taking over newly promoted sides in the lowest league. 

Been relegated once in FM17 doing the Sir Alex Ferguson challenge with Stoke City. Finished 1 point behind 17th place and it was only confirmed on the final day... I didn't get sacked and managed to bounce back from the championship with automatic promotion and then establish then in mid table before giving up 5 or 6 seasons in. I've also been sacked once on FM19 as Western Sydney Wanderers. I finished 2nd in the first season and lost in the playoffs semi-final for the grand final trophy. Second season I had a rocky start and was sacked about halfway through the season sitting in 6th place out of the 10 teams.

I can honestly say I've never been relegated. Or promoted. Or won a division for that matter. 

The reason? Usually a big real life transfer or some bizarre tactical idea that makes me start a new save. I struggle to get halfway through a season. 

The last time I finished a season was on the old CM series. 

• 1 month later...

Quite a number of times over the years, including twice in my Newcastle Town FM11 save. The first was being relegated from League One, the second was my only season in the Premier League where I only managed to avoid "doing a Derby" because Notts County were worse than me. :D

In my entire 23 years playing CM/FM I've been relegated once as I usually jump ship or am pushed long before and to be honest I'm pretty good at the games now so don't really struggle anymore.

This one time was with Norwich, I got them promoted to the Premier League and I just missed out on staying up in my second season with 38 points, the board went easy on me and didn't sack me. I then went onto to win the Championship the following year at a canter, stayed in the Premier League the next season and went on to World domination over the next 15 seasons. One of my favourite ever saves. 

Edited by Robioto

I have been relegated 2 times and as this was in the last simulated league I was also automatically sacked.

The first time was a  team promoted to the Dutch 2nd league and I "achieved relegation" 2 matchdays before the end.  Ok, some bad luck because ad one point 4 of 6 wingers and AVs were injured but the team could barely compete and I increased the trouble by panicking and changing tactics all times.

The second one was in the Swiss 2nd league with Lausanne and that happened on the last matchday. I could still kick my teams arses .....  bloody bastards. We had a good position. It was only neccessary to reach a draw ,1 POINT and everything would be fine. The other contestant for relegation needed a win against the league champion AND that we loose. So what could happen? I still remember how sure I was that nothing could happen when I started the 3 D simulation ...... .

YES ... the other one WON against the champion (maybe the players were all drunk from celebrating). But that would have been still fine IF my bastards made a draw.

NOO ... they lost .....

Edited by Zardoz

I start a lot of games unemployed, holiday until around January/Feb and take over teams then so my relegation record is a little higher than average I'd say. If I get a job before the end of January and can make some signings I tend to do okay, but taking over after the January window is difficult.

Got relegated with Braintree on FM16/17. I had taken them from VNS to the Premiership but the squad was nowhere near Premiership quality. Relegated with just 11 points! The board let me keep my job and I rebuilt using the TV money and went straight back up.

Just once in 27 real years. It was i think 15 years ago. I took AS Saint-Etienne, they where in 2nd league. In first year i was promoted, i bought lots of good players, but 2nd year i was relegated from Ligue 1. It was weird, but cool. And never happened again. Not even close. I think it was 15 or more years ago, not sure, have to check when  SE was in 2nd division in early 2000...

I was sacked 2-3 times for sure, but dont remember when and why. 

Edited by Matej