Stopping Over The Top Balls From Defence?

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this over the top ball from the opponents defence? This is just one example where I've dominated Leicester with chances (lets not go into the 1v1 conversion it's appalling) and they hit two balls over the top and score one. I've attached the screen of the chances and the tactic I'm using 

20191213170208_1.jpg

20191213170727_1.jpg

There are others who are much stronger at their analysis than I am but I've been trying to better diagnose these things to build tactics of my own.  So with that, here goes nothing:

You have the line of engagement and defensive line both pushed (way) up, a mezzala, a BBM and wingbacks all high up the pitch in possession.  Then adding a positive mentality to take all those factors and crank them up higher.  You're basically naked on defense if you lose possession.

Judging the relative strength of the team is going to be difficult as you're already in 2020 but from first blush is that team good enough to play THIS aggressively?  I would imagine any better team would completely carve that to bits (ironically leading to 1:1s going the other way as the ME is still looking for a quasi-realistic goal total despite tactics that don't really facilitate that).

Again, I'll happily yield to those with deeper tactical knowledge but I'd strip away, well, just about everything and rebuild this. Either that or keep everything status quo and hope that I don't get burnt too badly.  I just don't see how to balance essentially (for the lack of better terms here) an arcade tactic with a simulation result.

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

There are others who are much stronger at their analysis than I am but I've been trying to better diagnose these things to build tactics of my own.  So with that, here goes nothing:

You have the line of engagement and defensive line both pushed (way) up, a mezzala, a BBM and wingbacks all high up the pitch in possession.  Then adding a positive mentality to take all those factors and crank them up higher.  You're basically naked on defense if you lose possession.

Judging the relative strength of the team is going to be difficult as you're already in 2020 but from first blush is that team good enough to play THIS aggressively?  I would imagine any better team would completely carve that to bits (ironically leading to 1:1s going the other way as the ME is still looking for a quasi-realistic goal total despite tactics that don't really facilitate that).

Again, I'll happily yield to those with deeper tactical knowledge but I'd strip away, well, just about everything and rebuild this. Either that or keep everything status quo and hope that I don't get burnt too badly.  I just don't see how to balance essentially (for the lack of better terms here) an arcade tactic with a simulation result.

Unfortunately I can't get any tactic working this year so I grabbed one from FM base that did really well in testing. Reckon it's worth dropping the LOE and DL?

You are playing with a high mentality, higher defensive line and offside trap, on top of that you are playing with an aggressive press that might pull your players out of position 

I hate to say it, but this is exactly the type of goals I would expect you to concede, you are using very risky settings and you will get punished for it from time to time, what you need to think about are the risks worth the reward?

Edited by Falahk

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree with everything else you've said. 

I will add that playing such an aggressive style is perfectly possible in certain games, but going away to Leicester with such a high defensive line, aggressive pressing (which will further pull your players out of shape) and risky ball usage (mentality, TIs and player roles combined makes this a very risky tactic in possession; the chances of turnovers are high) is asking for trouble considering their midfield talent and pace up front. 

Unless you have the quality to completely dominate your opponent, you have to be mindful of the threats they pose and how they can exploit your approach. The obvious answer here would be drop the defensive line. You may not control the game in their half but if you've set the roles up right, you should still able to generate chances, especially as Leicester are likely to attack a team they consider themselves equal to in their own stadium. 

Just now, Dicko1878 said:

Unfortunately I can't get any tactic working this year so I grabbed one from FM base that did really well in testing. Reckon it's worth dropping the LOE and DL?

So again, there's others who will do a FAR better job than me on designing a tactic but again I'd say not necessarily by itself. 

Right now, I'm starting with a completely blank slate, just trying to get my best players in positions where they can succeed and then building something relatively sensible around them.  So for instance, my best player is on the right wing.  Letting him do his thing, making sure he has adequate cover defensively (as he's subpar at best in that area), then making sure I have someone or multiples to be the beneficiary of his wing play.  I don't really use many (if any at all) of the TIs because honestly, I don't trust myself well enough to separate what would be causing what. If I start seeing a recurring trend, then maybe.  But until then, nope.

Works for me ok-ish so far.  Doing better than projected but not setting the world on fire.  I can live with that.

that's everybody advice, defend lower, that's why fifa is ruined.

A team like Leicester with Vardy is like a tramp on chips for over the top balls.

My advice would be put 1 of your cbs on cover duty so they get a head start on it. 

If your a possession side its perfectly plausible just to leave 2 cbs and a dm back and for them to stop all the counter attacking bs in football nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Dicko1878 said:

20191213170727_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Dicko1878 said:

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this over the top ball from the opponents defence? This is just one example where I've dominated Leicester with chances (lets not go into the 1v1 conversion it's appalling) and they hit two balls over the top and score one

Well, just take a look at your defensive team instructions - higher DL, much higher LOE, extremely urgent pressing, counter-press + positive (high-risk) mentality - and it's absolutely no surprise you are struggling with opposition balls over the top. Then add to this the setup of your midfield trio, and the defensive risk is compounded even more. 

just to add, why is it not possible to play attacking with high lines and high pressing and still be solid why do we always have to drop the lines and drop this and that, fair enough maybe few less instructions as positive adds some risk anyway, but look at liverpool and most other teams, 2 CBs and a DM near the halfway line is more than enough to deal with counters, why cant it be this way in game, id like to see on average how many times liverpool concede on the counter or a city or someone who leave 3 back and let the other 6 go forward

Edited by TCHNG

17 minutes ago, TCHNG said:

just to add, why is it not possible to play attacking with high lines and high pressing and still be solid why do we always have to drop the lines and drop this and that, fair enough maybe few less instructions as positive adds some risk anyway, but look at liverpool and most other teams, 2 CBs and a DM near the halfway line is more than enough to deal with counters, why cant it be this way in game, id like to see on average how many times liverpool concede on the counter or a city or someone who leave 3 back and let the other 6 go forward

It's perfectly possible. You just have to judge which opposition you can do it against. 

To use your City and Liverpool examples, most teams play defensively against them. Any long ball attempt is going to fail more times than not due to a simple lack of runners and support. However, when they come up against better teams who pose more of a threat to them, they typically drop their defensive blocks. They don't go into every game with a high block looking to dominate in the opponent's half because better teams will hurt them. 

This is the key to doing well on FM20, in my view. I'm currently on a long unbeaten run with Sevilla (about 30 games now in all comps, in my third season, where we're predicted to finish 5th) and I like to think a lot of it has been down to picking and choosing the games I can be more aggressive and which games I need to drop my defensive block. My rule of thumb at the moment is:

• Is the opponent playing very defensive, with no intent to come out and play? Then the DL/LOE go up, mentality goes on to Positive or Attacking, and we look to beat them into submission.
  • is the opponent on even footing with us, or looking to play with more attacking intent? Then DL/LOE go down, mentality stays on Positive or Balanced, and we look to suck them in and hurt them with rapid counters. 

I change a few TIs around, too, but generally it's all in the DL and LOE.

If you're a top team, your going to come across the first scenario more often than not, but there will still be games where you have to change. If you're playing as a team like Everton (as the OP of this thread is), you're going to come across the second scenario a lot more, so you have to be mindful of the risks you're taking.  

3 hours ago, TCHNG said:

You can play with a high line of engagement generate loads of possession and still win so long as you press correctly. The mistake I normally see is how people have set the roles and duties, and poor player choice. When you press you need to win the ball back.

Even Klopp who used the high press with Dortmund when they only conceded 22 goals in a season said as much. It’s pointless pressing if you don’t win the 2nd ball or fail to do something effectively with the 2nd ball.

11 hours ago, TCHNG said:

why is it not possible to play attacking with high lines and high pressing and still be solid

It is possible of course. As long as you know your team/system and avoid tactical overkills. A high-risk mentality already makes the way you defend more aggressive by default, so you always have to keep that in mind. And on top of that, you cannot take the same levels of risk when you manage an average team compared to top teams (because there is an obvious difference in players' abilities). Even Klopp does not play the total gung-ho gegenpress style anymore with LFC. 

This long/trough balls killing the game and there's nothing you can do about it, tried everything but still the cb's dominating the game with balls over the backline. And the ME is so bad this year it's pathetic.

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Putting one of the DCs who has good pace on cover duties as a straight DC has certainly helped in my game.

does he also have good acceleration and agility, as well as attributes mentally to help him read the game?

or was he picked up off a wonderkids list like the majority of the people who have these problems. 

If you don't want to drop your defensive line and stay pressing so aggressively expect to concede a few goals like this, on the other hand you should score other wise risk isn't worth the reward.

Anyway to help your defence id play offside trap, if your centre backs have good team work & composure (14 or above) 

22 hours ago, poma said:

This long/trough balls killing the game and there's nothing you can do about it, tried everything but still the cb's dominating the game with balls over the backline. And the ME is so bad this year it's pathetic.

Who said there is nothing. Saying its happening to you doesn't make it true for everyone else. I think people find it easier to complain than admit they got things wrong in the first place. The tactic the OP linked is obviously weak to OTT balls. He has two wingbacks in an attacking set-up that are going to bomb forward. With a higher defensive line and a higher line of engagement it increases the risk. So how do you avoid it? There are ways to do it.

1. Are your players mental attributes good enough to play a high line? Look at City in real life, they play a high line, but have conceded goals this season to poor transitions. Why? They lost a world class defender, replaced him with a Fernandinho who isn't great in the air, plus they have a wingback who is very attacking and sometimes doesn't show good positional awareness to come back.

2. Look at Liverpool, teams like to attack down liverpools right flank because TAA has poor positional awareness, so what did Klopp do to adjust it this season? Even real world managers like Klopp had to push a more positionally aware midfielder in front of TAA to compensate. Here in this tactic its all wrong.

In the game everyone loves to use gegen pressing, but that kind of pressing demands that you win the ball and use it well. City does it with patient build up, LFC used to do it with direct attacks, but they have changed their style of play completely this season. And they longer use direct attacks ONLY.

In the game itself, we need to address the choice of roles and duties very carefully, the OP's tactic is very player dependant. Acceleration less than 15 and his tactic is in trouble. the moment i saw Grealish on the right flank, it had "fail" written all over it. 

If you choose to use a wingback on attack in a system that plays on a high defensive line with a very high line of engagement within an aggressive pressing system, then you better get your player choices  right. 

I have short passing and play out of defence team instructions. My not so gifted central defenders are consistently playing long balls that put strikers one on one with the keeper (we could then talk about conversion rate but that's another story) and AI can't find a way to stop this, game after game. So yeah I think maybe there might be an issue with this particular area of match engine.

Why worry about over the top balls? They’re going to score the 1v1 very rarely (FM20!). I pushed my defensive lines higher because I knew the other team wouldn’t beat my keeper 1v1, and they haven’t.

I also turned off “pass into space” and stopped making direct passes because my guys can’t beat the other keeper 1v1 either. You have to adjust tactics to the weird FM20 reality or you’ll end up raging in frustration. 

33 minutes ago, 3runhomer said:

Why worry about over the top balls? They’re going to score the 1v1 very rarely (FM20!). I pushed my defensive lines higher because I knew the other team wouldn’t beat my keeper 1v1, and they haven’t.

I also turned off “pass into space” and stopped making direct passes because my guys can’t beat the other keeper 1v1 either. You have to adjust tactics to the weird FM20 reality or you’ll end up raging in frustration. 

Now how do I respond to this? Well that's certainly one way to play the game.  At least I don't have to worry about over the top balls and I can still play my patient probing style :-)

57 minutes ago, 3runhomer said:

Getting players in and around the edge of the box + shoot on sight = bucket load of goals

clear cut chance from through ball = endless misses

You nailed it 100%

1 hour ago, 3runhomer said:

hate this post !

Because its true 

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Who said there is nothing. Saying its happening to you doesn't make it true for everyone else. I think people find it easier to complain than admit they got things wrong in the first place. The tactic the OP linked is obviously weak to OTT balls. He has two wingbacks in an attacking set-up that are going to bomb forward. With a higher defensive line and a higher line of engagement it increases the risk. So how do you avoid it? There are ways to do it.

1. Are your players mental attributes good enough to play a high line? Look at City in real life, they play a high line, but have conceded goals this season to poor transitions. Why? They lost a world class defender, replaced him with a Fernandinho who isn't great in the air, plus they have a wingback who is very attacking and sometimes doesn't show good positional awareness to come back.

2. Look at Liverpool, teams like to attack down liverpools right flank because TAA has poor positional awareness, so what did Klopp do to adjust it this season? Even real world managers like Klopp had to push a more positionally aware midfielder in front of TAA to compensate. Here in this tactic its all wrong.

In the game everyone loves to use gegen pressing, but that kind of pressing demands that you win the ball and use it well. City does it with patient build up, LFC used to do it with direct attacks, but they have changed their style of play completely this season. And they longer use direct attacks ONLY.

In the game itself, we need to address the choice of roles and duties very carefully, the OP's tactic is very player dependant. Acceleration less than 15 and his tactic is in trouble. the moment i saw Grealish on the right flank, it had "fail" written all over it. 

If you choose to use a wingback on attack in a system that plays on a high defensive line with a very high line of engagement within an aggressive pressing system, then you better get your player choices  right. 

WBs + WBa is standard choice for almost all AI setups on balanced or higher mentalities. I guess all teams play wrong then. But I agree his left side looks like it can easily be exposed with that duty selection. With counters on that wing though, not balls over two DCs. Isnt it a known issue anyway?

City doesnt play high line they play highest line at the moment, their DCs play well inside opponents half. Its a big difference and bad example. I dont think its even possible to play such high line in fm. Why would playing high line be such an issue? Except against top teams of course.

18 minutes ago, Mitja said:

City doesnt play high line they play highest line at the moment, their DCs play well inside opponents half. Its a big difference and bad example. I dont think its even possible to play such high line in fm. Why would playing high line be such an issue? Except against top teams of course.

You are being so predictably pedantic.  I just knew given enough time that statement would draw you in. So in your infinite wisdom, what do you think is wrong then?

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Acceleration less than 15 and his tactic is in trouble. the moment i saw Grealish on the right flank, it had "fail" written all over it. 

<15 acceleration for the midfielders, in this case the RCM?

Not criticising or arguing back, just trying to understand what's your thinking here. I've never considered acceleration as a key attribute for midfielders - is it because he'd need to run very quickly to cover and press as soon as the team loses the ball? I basically only ever understood acceleration as an important attribute for players that attempt to dribble past others - that initial burst of pace.

What other attributes would be important for pressing? I'd imagine anticipation, teamwork, work rate, stamina, tackling, bravery?

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

WBs + WBa is standard choice for almost all AI setups on balanced or higher mentalities.

You keep making statements about how the AI sets up.  I've asked you before how you know all of these things about the AI's tactics (which you haven't answered), given that that information has not been (publicly) released by SI nor is it available in game.

I can only assume you are guessing so take it from me, your guesses are inaccurate and overly generalised.  Worse you make it sound like it is fact, which is spreading misinformation.  If you are going to continue with such statements about how the AI apparently plays, please caveat them in future with something along the lines of "my best guess is..." so that others understand it's an opinion rather than fact.

25 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You keep making statements about how the AI sets up.  I've asked you before how you know all of these things about the AI's tactics (which you haven't answered), given that that information has not been (publicly) released by SI nor is it available in game.

I can only assume you are guessing so take it from me, your guesses are inaccurate and overly generalised.  Worse you make it sound like it is fact, which is spreading misinformation.  If you are going to continue with such statements about how the AI apparently plays, please caveat them in future with something along the lines of "my best guess is..." so that others understand it's an opinion rather than fact.

Oh on my game opposition roles and duties become visible after 10 minutes of play. But I figure it out even before that. Looks like we are playing different game?

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

Oh on my game opposition roles and duties become visible after 10 minutes of play. But I figure it out even before that. Looks like we are playing different game?

I guess we are, because mine doesn't show that.  I assume you are using a skin which may or may not be accurate seeing as SI haven't released it.  Anyway it's not just about roles & duties but all the other tactical settings you apparently "know" so again, please preface anything further with "my best guess" or similar.

Edit - hands up I hadn't realised you can actually see roles / duties displayed in one of the formation screens, so fair enough on that point - although you still over generalise if you think all AI set up in that manner.  It also mentions nothing about mentality or other tactical settings which you state you "know" so please avoid making that sound like fact.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

I guess we are, because mine doesn't show that.  I assume you are using a skin which may or may not be accurate seeing as SI haven't released it.  Anyway it's not just about roles & duties but all the other tactical settings you apparently "know" so again, please preface anything further with "my best guess" or similar.

FM20 Demo. Shows roles and duties. In pre match analysis, scout report, during games formstion screan, probably more. I doubt your game is any different. Im not using any skin. As for the other part I didnt mention anything specific so have no clue what you are saying.

Just now, Mitja said:

As for the other part I didnt mention anything specific so have no clue what you are saying.

I edited my post.

As for the quote above:

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

WBs + WBa is standard choice for almost all AI setups on balanced or higher mentalities.

That's an assumption, or am I missing something else?

13 hours ago, noikeee said:

<15 acceleration for the midfielders, in this case the RCM?

Not criticising or arguing back, just trying to understand what's your thinking here. I've never considered acceleration as a key attribute for midfielders - is it because he'd need to run very quickly to cover and press as soon as the team loses the ball? I basically only ever understood acceleration as an important attribute for players that attempt to dribble past others - that initial burst of pace.

What other attributes would be important for pressing? I'd imagine anticipation, teamwork, work rate, stamina, tackling, bravery?

Each tier has different considerations for what you want to do. Different attributes become important at different in game points. For example you want to play counter pressing so you expect pressing intensity and tackling from the wider attacking tier. Sometimes you will see opposition players glide past them, thats usually points to tackling, marking, bravery.

In midfield you expect them to pay attention to read the 2nd ball, anticipation, concentration, positioning.  Then if a player has very good positioning, perhaps he may be in the right position. However if you are only playing 2 players in midfield then the role becomes important. 

To answer your question in the easiest way possible. When i say 15 i am talking about the backline especially the wingbacks or fullbacks in a counter pressing system. Remember that when you counter press, players are likely to leave their defensive positions to go press a player immediately after losing the ball, that increases the space between where they are after counterpressing and where they need to be if it fails. Counterpressing always involves your wingbacks and fullbacks too.

Higher defensive lines make this worse. A higher defensive line positions them higher up the pitch so counterpressing increases vertical coverage and increases the value of acceleration and positioning. If a wingback has good positioning, perhaps he will take up a position which is good, but if he has poor positioning like TAA, he needs to get back quickly into position. That is why in the  EPL at least 15 is about the lowest I would accept for counter pressing on my wingbacks. Attacking players have good acceleration and if they have knocks the ball into space, and your defender has low acceleration they will always play catch up which is why central defenders sometimes get pulled wide to cover the mistakes. You can tell this is happening sometimes in games when the central defender picks up a yellow card after he had to go tackle someone who wouldn't have received the ball had the wingback not been so high up the pitch.

When people play overlaps(which i do a lot), then the pressure increases, because the mentality of the wingback is also affected apart from the initial positioning. So a wingback is more likely to bomb further forward even before the ball has left his half. So the OP for example in his tactic, I would have changed the role of the WB(A) to a FB(S) and given him the overlap. Now he is on a higher mentality but still on support duty  and likely to bomb forward when we have already moved the ball past the halfway mark. The FB is still in a good position to support central midfield.

Attributes for a solid pressing style include, anticipation, concentration, work rate, determination, bravery, marking and tackling. Stamina while ideal is only important if you want the player to last the full 90 minutes, the other attributes are the dynamic ones that are probably involved. Naturally this is my opinion and not SI's but in the course of me submitting bug reports, the replies i have received suggest that i could be right.

12 hours ago, Mitja said:

Oh on my game opposition roles and duties become visible after 10 minutes of play. But I figure it out even before that. Looks like we are playing different game

Yes the roles and duties appear and in fact you can make them stick to your in between match highlights as well. 

However the roles and duties also change within a game and can change quite dynamically. A wingback on attack can change to a fullback on defend. The roles and duties are not static, and have never been static. It's when the AI goes very attacking that thing starting getting interesting. It can have quite a few attack duties on the pitch in the most vulnerable spaces, making it vulnerable to even the simplest over the top ball if you are playing with a two striker system.

You are not playing a different game, not many people realise that roles and duties are now visible after around 10 minutes, but i think this depends on the quality and availability of your analysts. Scout reports and analyst reports are definitely not 100% accurate because they can change. What I am absolutely certain of is that roles/duties/shape and mentality changes in a game. And I am certain team instructions change alongside them too.  The cue for these is usually in game commentary.

On 16/12/2019 at 03:14, FMunderachiever said:

Getting players in and around the edge of the box + shoot on sight = bucket load of goals

clear cut chance from through ball = endless misses

You nailed it 100%

This is why I am getting so fed up with this years game. So frustrating. Trying to play a nice possession game with Leicester and Vardy misses 5 CCC/1vs1 a game. Only winning games from the odd Tielemans long shot.

Ridiculous.  

On 15/12/2019 at 13:16, 3runhomer said:

fair enough lol :/

On 15/12/2019 at 22:03, Mitja said:

I have seen my CBs play well inside opposition half so that statement in bold is blatantly incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting reading through this thread, having first visited the bugs forum and noticing the stickied post addressing the current state of the match engine. 

People seem to be stuck arguing that either: the match engine is horrible and thus they have to adjust their tactics because of it...  OR  tactics need to be adjusted according to the opposition, which is a reality that people don't want to accept (seemingly).  

Yes, over-the-top / defense splitting through balls are a problem for the current match engine. SI has declared they are looking into this.  The same applies to 1v1 finishing / CCC conversion and calculation.  SI are looking into it.  Again, reference the stickied post in the bugs forum. 

Yes, your tactics might be too aggressive in a particular situation, thus lowering the D-Line / adjusting roles or duties / mentality, etc will be necessary.  That is not a sign of a bugged game, that is football.  I just played a match as RB Leipzig against Borussia M'Gladbach.  First 15 seconds into the match, we score with a beautiful through ball behind the opposition D-Line.   What did they do?  They dropped deeper after that and we didn't score again until much later in the match when they decided to go all out attacking.   That is a sign that things are working well (generally).  

It's entirely possible for both of these things to be true.  The ME needs work on some specific areas causing people frustration.  But your tactics are also a huge part of the puzzle.   Player selection too! (do you have the right attributes for your defense to play a super high pressing game?)