Most obscure country you've managed in?

We've all been managing in countries like the 'big 5', Holland, Portugal and to an extent countries like Brazil, Argentina, Turkey or Belgium before.

Now my question is; is there someone who has tried to get a country to the top in which (for your feeling) nobody has tried to before. I have yet to see someone stay for longer than a couple of seasons in half the Asian countries or Peru.

If we go even further and include megapacks of countries, there's a significant amount of competitions left entirely untouched by the community. The very bottom of the barrel like Micronesia and Bhutan or niche European micronations like Gibraltar and San Marino usually get fair amounts of attention for being the worst, but what about Dominica? Or Tajikistan? Or Paraguay, for that matter?

I'd be interested to see what you consider the least popular country you've ever dipped your toes into, success or not.

I myself have a pretty clean slate of entirely ignored countries. Probably the most honorable mentions include one and a half season at Vaisei in Wallis & Futuna and slightly more than half a season at Ayutthaya in the third tier of Thailand. Not entirely unknown but still not something people would intentiontially go to, me thinks.

1 hour ago, Luke Rumble said:

I have just started a new save with an editor file and I am currently managing in Puerto Rico. Which is a new one for me!

Good luck! What tier and club?

5 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

I'm currently managing a team in the 6th tier of the New Zealand football league.

6th tier! :eek:

Didn't know there was an editor file that goes that low. All I know is down to the third tier with the Megapack.

10 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

6th tier! :eek:

Didn't know there was an editor file that goes that low. All I know is down to the third tier with the Megapack.

I downloaded one off Steam and then added a couple more tiers for the northern region (down as far as the WAIBOP Championship).

My save is also using Dan BHTFC's fantastic Level 22 English league add-on. The plan is to manage in the New Zealand leagues for four to five seasons, and then move to a realistic team in the English league system, and continue my management career over there.

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

In my current save I started in the Romanian second tier, which is not that obscure, but is obscure enough when the plan is to journeyman your way into the top.

I've seen a suprisingly low amount of people manage in Romania, actually. Probably in the top 10 of least managed countries of the default database.

31 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I've seen a suprisingly low amount of people manage in Romania, actually. Probably in the top 10 of least managed countries of the default database.

It has a very annoying rule in that you must have two U20 players on the pitch at all times. As you can imagine this can hamper any squad development plans, as you need to have at least 2-3 young players with first team potential every year. And you have no money to buy them from other clubs.

1 hour ago, Kenco said:

The most obscure I've done are the likes of Namibia, Mauritius , New Zealand and Scotland.

Scotland and obscure don't really fit in the same sentence in my book, however Namibia and Mauritius are certainly something fresh! How did you fare over there?

Kyrgyzstan. Took over the second team of FC Alga Bishkek that somehow was playing in the top division and is only allowed to play players who are <21. Kyrgyz youth players aren't good and I'm not good enough to make clubs overperform (almost) every save, so ended as last with only a few points scraped together.

Also won the Andorran and Luxembourgian leagues in FM10, but I don't think those leagues are very obscure.

1 hour ago, Zek said:

Kyrgyzstan. Took over the second team of FC Alga Bishkek that somehow was playing in the top division and is only allowed to play players who are <21. Kyrgyz youth players aren't good and I'm not good enough to make clubs overperform (almost) every save, so ended as last with only a few points scraped together.

Also won the Andorran and Luxembourgian leagues in FM10, but I don't think those leagues are very obscure.

I'm actually likely going to manage in Tajikistan, a neighbouring country of Krgyzystan, as somehow it's even more unknown territory for most. I have seen people make a databse of the entire league structure of your chosen destination in FM17, just haven't been bothered to try it.

Mwoah, Andorra and Luxembourg might not be the most obscure but they certainly aren't done to death already like San Marino or Bhutan. Interesting you did them in FM10!

56 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Tried tahitian team AS dragoon, won the league the triple in my first season and somehow won the OFC Champions league and being pouched by the same team from new zealand that i beated.

Tahiti, one of only 3 countries in Oceania to have more than 1 tier. I like it :D

4 minutes ago, itay.bing said:

very impressive knowledge!

Cheers! I just happened to know it from the Megapack list. I can just about name the amount of tiers every country has in that regard. Not their IRL amount though, that'd be crazy :D

Definitely India. Jesus do yourself a favour and don't try this one. I started a journeyman save (accidentally saved over it though), and my first club was East Bengal in the Indian Super League. There's a rule in India that you can only register 3 foreign players and so the league basically comes down to who has the best foreign players. Seriously, the Indian players are horrifically bad. So bad that my 3rd choice striker was a greyed out player. We were second favourites for the League and that's exactly where we came. We lost out to Bengaluru, who happened to have the only decent Indian player in Sunil Chhetri (so they basically had 4 good players and we had 3). It was........an interesting experience, but not one i'd try again. Like i said, don't try this unless you like your players misplacing every pass and shooting off target constantly.

4 hours ago, Jakarooney said:

I really need to install a megapack sometime. Never played with one before and i'd like to try a country like Micronesia or something.

I'd reccomend it! It allows for a much broader experience. I would especially reccomend trying countries others rarely use, as is the point of this topic.

I've had bad experiences in Micronesia, the expectations are always that you win the title in your second season and yet I can't win said title.

My personal reccomendations are Bhutan, Wallis & Futuna (for a short while since there's no continental qualification), or small North American/African countries like Guinea, Seychelles, Antigua & Barbuda or Greneda.

Belize premier league. It's like a movie with Chuck Norris. I had to fight against Police (Belmopan), Defence Force (Belize City), Bandits (Belmopan), Assassins (Placentia) and some Pirates (San Pedro). League reputation is even lower then reputations of leagues from Grenada, Antigua or Aruba. Semi-pro, no money, every player with some quality leaves the team (for free, of course) for any obscure club from any obscure league which is asking for him. "Our" champions were destroyed in Concacaf Champions League (4 games, 1 goal scored, 30 conceded). But is fun.

4 hours ago, GreenTriangle said:

Belize premier league. It's like a movie with Chuck Norris. I had to fight against Police (Belmopan), Defence Force (Belize City), Bandits (Belmopan), Assassins (Placentia) and some Pirates (San Pedro). League reputation is even lower then reputations of leagues from Grenada, Antigua or Aruba. Semi-pro, no money, every player with some quality leaves the team (for free, of course) for any obscure club from any obscure league which is asking for him. "Our" champions were destroyed in Concacaf Champions League (4 games, 1 goal scored, 30 conceded). But is fun.

I've actually thought about managing in Belize before. Looks like fun, probably the weakest Apertura/Clausura competition in the world too.

5 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

I'd reccomend it! It allows for a much broader experience. I would especially reccomend trying countries others rarely use, as is the point of this topic.

I've had bad experiences in Micronesia, the expectations are always that you win the title in your second season and yet I can't win said title.

My personal reccomendations are Bhutan, Wallis & Futuna (for a short while since there's no continental qualification), or small North American/African countries like Guinea, Seychelles, Antigua & Barbuda or Greneda.

Which megapack would you recommend?

5 hours ago, Jakarooney said:

Which megapack would you recommend?

Classeen's. It's got pretty much all top divisions of the world among lots of lower ones in countries that have enough information about them. 270 extra competitions says enough I think. Northern Ireland even goes down to the 7th tier!

5 minutes ago, oulzac said:

I guess American Somoa, or Bonaire. I did a save last year with only Oceania and North American countries loaded. It didn't last long.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture by managing on a Dutch speaking island :D

As kind of a follow up to Belize having the worst Apertura/Clausura competition, American Samoa probaly has the worst of the split ruleset like Belgium/Denmark have. Funny to see both being managed in, or at least has been had a sniff at.

1 hour ago, Minuy600 said:

As kind of a follow up to Belize having the worst Apertura/Clausura competition, American Samoa probaly has the worst of the split ruleset like Belgium/Denmark have. Funny to see both being managed in, or at least has been had a sniff at.

I was fired from both jobs within 10-12 games if I remember correctly. Never won a single game with either club.

Nice topic. I am planning a new career game in which I want to play in the CFU Club Championship, but also in the Lusophony Games and Francophone Games. Preferably also playing with a team from Martinique or Reunion in the Coupe de France. :)

Most obscure team/league I played withing FM 2018 is Lillestrøm in the Norwegian Eliteserien.

16 hours ago, oulzac said:

I was fired from both jobs within 10-12 games if I remember correctly. Never won a single game with either club.

That's my experience with Micronesia too. I just can't perform even below expectation to save my life. Probably why I dislike the competition so much. I might try again later but i'm too busy with what I have already.

15 hours ago, raymondafc said:

I thought my exertions in Peru were good until I saw some of the countries in here!

Peru is perhaps one of the most obscure in the default database. Not bad at all to manage in to be honest! It's one of the 6 countries I have enabled in the save I have.

12 hours ago, Jorgen said:

Nice topic. I am planning a new career game in which I want to play in the CFU Club Championship, but also in the Lusophony Games and Francophone Games. Preferably also playing with a team from Martinique or Reunion in the Coupe de France. :)

Most obscure team/league I played withing FM 2018 is Lillestrøm in the Norwegian Eliteserien.

I really am curious if you can enter the EL if you win the Coupe de France with clubs from Tahiti, Martinique or Reunion. If so that'd be an amazing follow up to the FC Vaduz challenge.

Oh sweet, another person playing in Norway! :D
I myself am in fact currently managing Finnsnes in the PostNord-ligaen, the 3rd tier of said country. One of very few saves i've played where i'm determined to get past the 2020 mark!

I managed India... and I won a game with them. :P I won points as San Marino too, just shutting up shop and being boring. Those games are so tense when you get it to the 80th minute at 0-0. It has it's own charm to it.

I've done Wales, they're pretty dire. It's basically getting a non-league team into Europe if you like that sort of thing. I basically made a Welsh Celtic via free transfers and steamrolled the league all the time. Got into the Europa League via some lucky penalty wins. That was fun. Afan Lido was the team I managed.

I've always wanted to try South Korea but I get all topsy-turvey from how similar the names are. :seagull:

2 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I managed India... and I won a game with them. :P I won points as San Marino too, just shutting up shop and being boring. Those games are so tense when you get it to the 80th minute at 0-0. It has it's own charm to it.

I've done Wales, they're pretty dire. It's basically getting a non-league team into Europe if you like that sort of thing. I basically made a Welsh Celtic via free transfers and steamrolled the league all the time. Got into the Europa League via some lucky penalty wins. That was fun. Afan Lido was the team I managed.

I've always wanted to try South Korea but I get all topsy-turvey from how similar the names are. :seagull:

Getting any point with San Marino is a great achievement.

Wales is the worst European country in the default database, I went there too with Cardiff Met Uni before I realised they're always amateur so no progress can be made after a certain time.

In FM 2013 I managed one season in Turkmenistan (in the save I loaded a bunch of Asian and Central Asian leagues) as FC Balkan Balkanabat (cool name). Our reputation was so bad that only reserves and u19 team wanted to play friendlies against us. Much of the season we were far behind from team, called HTTU, but at the end we managed an impressive run of results and won the league in the last round when they did not play (!) and we needed only a point against Merw. We have also found the cherries on the cake playing in the Asian President Cup, reaching the semifinal. This gave me some impression of the quality and ranking of all the central Asian -stans, Tajikistan with Istiqllol Dushanbe (winner) and Bishkek (finalist from Kyrgizistan) are some step further than us. Also the quality of regens from these two countries had been a little better than ours. 

Below are; our league progress (=snatching the title in the last round), our "best" youth intake player and our "very good" DC from Tajikistan, just to give you some insight of the quality of players.

F5ntCBr.png

FgnvYHH.png

oFsepqw.png

57 minutes ago, Ales said:

In FM 2013 I managed one season in Turkmenistan (in the save I loaded a bunch of Asian and Central Asian leagues) as FC Balkan Balkanabat (cool name). Our reputation was so bad that only reserves and u19 team wanted to play friendlies against us. Much of the season we were far behind from team, called HTTU, but at the end we managed an impressive run of results and won the league in the last round when they did not play (!) and we needed only a point against Merw. We have also found the cherries on the cake playing in the Asian President Cup, reaching the semifinal. This gave me some impression of the quality and ranking of all the central Asian -stans, Tajikistan with Istiqllol Dushanbe (winner) and Bishkek (finalist from Kyrgizistan) are some step further than us. Also the quality of regens from these two countries had been a little better than ours. 

Below are; our league progress (=snatching the title in the last round), our "best" youth intake player and our "very good" DC from Tajikistan, just to give you some insight of the quality of players.

F5ntCBr.png

FgnvYHH.png

oFsepqw.png

Oh that looked like fun! Cool to see a Tajik player there, i'm on the verge of managing there.

Pakistan.

I started out with my own local team, Karachi. 

We were already one of the top teams, so winning the league was no issue. We managed to do very well in the Asian Confederations Cup, which made us much richer than anyone around us. That meant, by season 2, I had everyone's top talents in my team, since the most anyone asked for was 500 Euros. Confederations Cup money meant I could afford that, especially since I was semi-pro and could keep people on amateur contracts. 

Then I got a ridiculously good regen striker, and won the Confederation Cup in Season 3. He was sought after by Besiktas and Liverpool. I sold him to Liverpool for around 2 million with a 50% future sale clause. I actually downloaded Genie Scout to check, and he had a PA in the 170's and a CA of 149. Keep in mind, according the Genie Scout, my next best player was around 74, and after that in the 40's.

Well, with that much money, I was able to go professional and improve youth recruitment (Two foreign player limit meant I didn't buy anyone, and my second best player was a Nigerian striker, which made it the one of the few 4-4-2's of mine that has worked amazingly). I won the league easily, but got destroyed in the Confederations Cup I'd won last time. I knew I had to improve....

But then something happened that made this long term save boring.

Remember that star striker I sold to Liverpool? Well, he went to Real Madrid. For around 60 million Euros. I honestly lost interest at that point. Because all I had to do was ask for facilities and youth recruitment to be updated and wait a few years until I maxed it out. The League was no issue, since I'd keep winning it. I had no hope in the Confederations Cup until my facilities got maxed. And honestly? I've never had the patience for 40-50 year saves like this one would have been. Don't think I've ever gone beyond 10-15 years in a save. 

31 minutes ago, theonets said:

Pakistan.

I started out with my own local team, Karachi. 

We were already one of the top teams, so winning the league was no issue. We managed to do very well in the Asian Confederations Cup, which made us much richer than anyone around us. That meant, by season 2, I had everyone's top talents in my team, since the most anyone asked for was 500 Euros. Confederations Cup money meant I could afford that, especially since I was semi-pro and could keep people on amateur contracts. 

Then I got a ridiculously good regen striker, and won the Confederation Cup in Season 3. He was sought after by Besiktas and Liverpool. I sold him to Liverpool for around 2 million with a 50% future sale clause. I actually downloaded Genie Scout to check, and he had a PA in the 170's and a CA of 149. Keep in mind, according the Genie Scout, my next best player was around 74, and after that in the 40's.

Well, with that much money, I was able to go professional and improve youth recruitment (Two foreign player limit meant I didn't buy anyone, and my second best player was a Nigerian striker, which made it the one of the few 4-4-2's of mine that has worked amazingly). I won the league easily, but got destroyed in the Confederations Cup I'd won last time. I knew I had to improve....

But then something happened that made this long term save boring.

Remember that star striker I sold to Liverpool? Well, he went to Real Madrid. For around 60 million Euros. I honestly lost interest at that point. Because all I had to do was ask for facilities and youth recruitment to be updated and wait a few years until I maxed it out. The League was no issue, since I'd keep winning it. I had no hope in the Confederations Cup until my facilities got maxed. And honestly? I've never had the patience for 40-50 year saves like this one would have been. Don't think I've ever gone beyond 10-15 years in a save. 

Ohh, very interesting! Never seen someone from Pakistan before on the forums, let alone manage in the country. I like it. Would've liked it if you continued on untill the facilities maxed out though :p

3 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

Ohh, very interesting! Never seen someone from Pakistan before on the forums, let alone manage in the country. I like it. Would've liked it if you continued on untill the facilities maxed out though :p

I honestly dislike the instant result thing and without using it, this save was going to be boring :D

Let's just say that even after losing him, I had an invincible season domestically :D

No one was close

Not as obscure as many of the nations I'm seeing mentioned here, but I managed Koper of Slovenia for quite a few seasons a few FMs ago. It was a lot of fun.

I should try some extra countries one day. It'd be interesting to see a different country for a change. I'm alway just a little concerned as to the quality of updates. In the past I believe there were some poor additions.

1 hour ago, anagain said:

Not as obscure as many of the nations I'm seeing mentioned here, but I managed Koper of Slovenia for quite a few seasons a few FMs ago. It was a lot of fun.

I should try some extra countries one day. It'd be interesting to see a different country for a change. I'm alway just a little concerned as to the quality of updates. In the past I believe there were some poor additions.

The Megapack is solid. It's not perfect but it works well enough, not much worse than the regular database which has it's mistakes too. 

I had an Alps save once so I had Slovenia enabled too, never actually managed in it though.

Not really obscure as it was from the default database but currently managing HJK in Finland along with the Finland National Team. Been really fun so far but there is a lack of Finnish talent being produced. My last youth intake was a total write off. Have just managed to qualify for Euro 2020 though, first time ever for Finland. Had a group with France, Romania, Bosnia, Malta & Gibralta and clinched 2nd place on the last game which turned out to be a bit of playoff with the winner getting 2nd place. I beat Romania for this.

In the 3 full seasons I've had I've made It to the Europa League group stage on 2 occasions. This season I finished 2nd in the group and now have Fiorentina in the knockout stages.

Main issue is the league schedule it runs from February to October so if I make it far in Europe the remaining group games I tend to have players that have left the squad due to loan finishing or being sold or contract expiring and not able to register any new players until knock out stages. Wonder how it will pan out for Euro 2020 also as I have around 6-8 players that will be in the national squad and imaging they will not postpone my league games. 

16 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

The Megapack is solid. It's not perfect but it works well enough, not much worse than the regular database which has it's mistakes too. 

I had an Alps save once so I had Slovenia enabled too, never actually managed in it though.

Is it the Claasen megapack people use, or something else?

I like managing in such countries. So, the most obscure country was Tuvalu in FM17. The main reason was good research. But the competitions were too boring because of little quantity of teams, and in all competitions (league and 4 cups) I had to play against same opponents.

Also I had many long saves in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan (the last one was simply great, around 15 seasons), but I'm assisting in research of these countries, so they weren't exotic for me.

Had a good save in Cambodia and Laos, for Boeung Ket and Lane Xang. In first one I've won everything, that was possible, and the second one was ended when Lane Xang was dissolved for match fixing IRL, I've lost interest.

Also had a save in Ethiopia, for Saint George, but only 2 seasons. Good players level met bad club and league reputation, so most of my best players left club and I couldn't replace them adequately.

There're some countries, in which I want to play, but delaying because bad research: Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, mb some African countries. 

Iceland - good for a quick game.  I've got the additional leagues from claasen which go down to the 4th tier, where there are only 18 games in a league season plus the pre-season league cup and the Icelandic cup.  I did half the league season on the train to work this morning :D

il y a 9 minutes, steff13 a dit :

I like managing in such countries. So, the most obscure country was Tuvalu in FM17. The main reason was good research. But the competitions were too boring because of little quantity of teams, and in all competitions (league and 4 cups) I had to play against same opponents.

Also I had many long saves in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan (the last one was simply great, around 15 seasons), but I'm assisting in research of these countries, so they weren't exotic for me.

Had a good save in Cambodia and Laos, for Boeung Ket and Lane Xang. In first one I've won everything, that was possible, and the second one was ended when Lane Xang was dissolved for match fixing IRL, I've lost interest.

Also had a save in Ethiopia, for Saint George, but only 2 seasons. Good players level met bad club and league reputation, so most of my best players left club and I couldn't replace them adequately.

There're some countries, in which I want to play, but delaying because bad research: Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, mb some African countries. 

By "ive won everything", do you imply winning the Asian Champions League? It would be very impressive as those countries dont even have a spot in the ACL atm.

Только что, ClemB сказал:

By "ive won everything", do you imply winning the Asian Champions League? It would be very impressive as those countries dont even have a spot in the ACL atm.

no, just AFC Cup. 

1 hour ago, KF1990 said:

Not really obscure as it was from the default database but currently managing HJK in Finland along with the Finland National Team. Been really fun so far but there is a lack of Finnish talent being produced. My last youth intake was a total write off. Have just managed to qualify for Euro 2020 though, first time ever for Finland. Had a group with France, Romania, Bosnia, Malta & Gibralta and clinched 2nd place on the last game which turned out to be a bit of playoff with the winner getting 2nd place. I beat Romania for this.

In the 3 full seasons I've had I've made It to the Europa League group stage on 2 occasions. This season I finished 2nd in the group and now have Fiorentina in the knockout stages.

Main issue is the league schedule it runs from February to October so if I make it far in Europe the remaining group games I tend to have players that have left the squad due to loan finishing or being sold or contract expiring and not able to register any new players until knock out stages. Wonder how it will pan out for Euro 2020 also as I have around 6-8 players that will be in the national squad and imaging they will not postpone my league games. 

Finland is always ignored in my opinion. People pretty much always choose the other Scandinavian countries in my opinion. Good job reaching the knockout stages of the EL!

38 minutes ago, anagain said:

Is it the Claasen megapack people use, or something else?

Claassen's.

34 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Tonga.  I did a youth only game there.

Suprising that not a lot of people choose to manage there, they're dead last on the National Team rankings.

21 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Tuvalu is rather boring unfortunately, I have to agree with you on that.

Many great obscure countries you picked there otherwise! As I said before i've wanted to manage in Tajikistan for a while now but decided to do a worst league career instead. Congrats on winning everything with Boeung Ket!

14 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Iceland - good for a quick game.  I've got the additional leagues from claasen which go down to the 4th tier, where there are only 18 games in a league season plus the pre-season league cup and the Icelandic cup.  I did half the league season on the train to work this morning :D

I actually 'managed' in the 3. delid karla too, just never got to a game because pre-season was extremely long and dull for me at the time. Now i'm more patient for the season to start.

1 minute ago, Minuy600 said:

I actually 'managed' in the 3. delid karla too, just never got to a game because pre-season was extremely long and dull for me at the time. Now i'm more patient for the season to start.

I holidayed the first season and picked Hamar after they got promoted.  The first pre-season is very dull but in my experience it gets a bit easier after that. 

Also eventually, if you get to Europe it is much shorter as the group stages go to December and the first knockouts in February, although I appreciate that is some way down the line.

Archived