[FM18] Once More 'Round the Sun

kingjericho

555px_1799_Clement_Cruttwell_Map_of_Euro

bel.png eng.png fra.png ger.png gre.png ita.png ned.png nor.png por.png rou.png sco.png esp.png swe.png tur.png

My previous attempts (ever) at a journeyman career have failed miserably, but this year I have a feeling that my determination will guide me through a long save that hopefully will be fun to document.

The aim is to build a long and successful career at any cost, which means taking whatever job is around the corner and hopefully do well enough to snatch a bigger one after some time.

This is the starting setup, I only have some db files to correct names.

This is my manager profile. I'm starting as low as possible to reflect what should be a somewhat realistic journeyman career.

I plan to do season-end updates, as well as when I take charge in a new club.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 8 job interviews I received two job offers, one from the Turkish 3rd tier and one from Romania's 2nd tier.

57057245.png

Club - no, it's not Mario Balotelli's satellite club. We've never been above the 2nd tier so there is history to be made.

Finances - already on the red, I'll have to see what are the normal monthly profits and losses to conclude if this a bad place to be or not.

Squad - there's reasonable quality in all sectors of the squad, however the league's limitations (3 U21 in the starting XI at all times) may limit our approach to the market.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the winter break in Romania I've been trying to scour the free agents market to some improvements, however we were already over the wage budget in August so I had to let go some of our fringe players to make room for two improvements, in the wings and in the defence.

In the league, we're in the red zone but there's still time to achieve our goal of survival.

rou.png CS Baloteşti - Liga II Casa Pariurilor - 2017/18

League table - we improved after the winter break and guaranteed survival with 3 matches to go. If we had more tactical stability since the beginning of the season, maybe we could have finished nearer the middle of the table.

Cupa României - as you can see we blew a 3 goal lead in a match that must have been quite the thriller for neutrals.

Squad - we have a good base XI but all the alternatives are poor and I won't renew most of their contracts.

Transfers - we got rid of some surpluses during the winter break and freed some wages to bring in a couple of players.

Finances - our best players have release clauses at around €50k so we need some cup income to balance the finances.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country      League                         Position     Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        13th

Next season

I already have a number of players shortlisted that we can get on a free when their contracts expire. If we can add 3-4 quality players to our base XI we can aim for the top half and a better cup run.

rou.png CS Baloteşti - Liga II Casa Pariurilor - 2018/19

League table - we had a very strong start but after the winter break we completely collapsed and lost any momentum we had gained before.

Cupa României - a crushing to end any hope we could have before we even thought about it.

Squad - there is quality in every position but we will lose our main striker at the end of his contract.

Transfers - we bought what we felt was needed to improve key positions and, overall, they performed well.

Finances - without cup money, the only way we have to bring in some players is to sell our best, which means losing quality.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country      League                         Position     Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        13th
2018/19    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        12th

Next season

I hope we our third season can show some noticeable improvement in order to either try promotion or snatch a job at a bigger club.

rou.png CS Baloteşti - Liga II Casa Pariurilor - 2019/20

League table - we were on fire after the winter break, unfortunately 3 defeats in our last 3 matches killed our chances of a bug surprise.

Cupa României - once again an early exit.

Squad - the squad is strong, but we always have to manage to comply with the 3 U21 in the starting XI which limits my choices a bit.

Transfers - we brought in quality players, some of them looking specifically for U21 players.

Finances - even though we sold one of our best players for €90k without any cup income things are hard.

Career overview

2018/19    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        12th
2019/20    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        6th

Next season

We showed improvements and were close to do a big upset, maybe next season we can keep this positive momentum.

rou.png CS Baloteşti - Liga II Casa Pariurilor - 2020/21

League table - we had an amazing run of 8 straight wins in the last 9 matches which put us in the top 3. We would have gained promotion if we won our last match. As that didn't happen, we had to play the dreaded playoff. I'm not sure how this happened, but the outcome was obviously set and we achieved our main goal for the season.

Cupa României - we could have went further because we lost to one of the weakest teams in our division.

Squad - we have quality in all sectors, all while respecting the very restricting rule of 3 U21 players in the XI at all times.

Transfers - the squad was mostly the same from the previous season with just a handful of improvements, which gave us a good base and understanding from the start.

Finances - we've been selling one good player every summer for around €100k but it isn't enough to keep us in the black.

Career overview

2019/20    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        6th
2020/21    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        3rd          Promotion via playoff

Next season

I still haven't renewed my contract and I only want to leave Romania after winning some silverware, but I may try to do that with another club.

There were 3 openings for jobs at Liga I teams. I went to two interviews and was pretty disappointed to not have landed any of the two.

After that, my contract talks with Balotesti were always very difficult in terms of negotiating terms. Eventually the contract expired and I spend 5-6 weeks on month-to-month contract until I finally renewed, with a small increase and being tied for two years instead of just one, as I desired.

Great news!

The board takeover brought us a change in mentality, whereas the previous owner was very reluctant to do anything at all, the owner has already develop the junior coaching and data analysis facilities. Still no permission to get a coaching badge, though...

However, I've noticed our stadium has been a sellout in our games so I decided to ask to build a new stadium. Guess what, they actually decided to do it!

We'll change from our 600 all-seater to a brand new 5600 seats stadium in the summer of 2023.

Dinamo Bucuresti sacked their manager and I was the odds favourite to get the job, for which I applied. It seems that at the last hour a more reputable manager applied as well, which made the odds change to him being favourite, and he ended up getting the job.

I was a bit bummed because this would be a big improvement quality wise, even though the difference in the league table at the moment is very small. I know the other clubs in the Liga I have better facilities and finances so I'll keep an eye on the openings available.

The plan is clear: win silverware in Romania before leaving.

I've been following any vacancies in other Liga I clubs, mainly because the financial situation at Balotesti is far from good and in terms of facilities, reputation, and player quality, we are clearly one of the weakest teams in the division.

With that said, I have received a contract offer which comes at a time when we are almost at the winter break, giving me time to adjust.

57000252.png

League - as you can see the club is below Balotesti and this ought to change quickly.

Squad - the quality here is clearly on a superior level. Plus, there's even quite some options in the reserves.

Finances - ouch.

Season     Team                   Country      League                         Position     Achievements/Notes
2020/21    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga II Casa Pariurilor        3rd          Promotion via playoff
2021/22    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga I Betano                  -            Left in December
2021/22    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  ?

rou.png Concordia Chiajna - Liga I Betano - 2021/22

League table - when I took over there were only 5 gems left in the regular stage and the access to the Champions group was only mathematically possible, but not a feasible achievement.

Relegation group - we showed that there is quality to be in the top half of the table, as we dominated in this stage.

Cupa României - we were already out when I took charge.

Squad - this is a very experienced group that is more than capable of competing in the Champions group with the best teams.

Transfers - I only made one signing already planning the next season, but he gelled in quickly and was still one time to be our second top scorer.

Finances - a handful of exits in the winter break generated around €200k, but we need a lot more income to be in the black.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country      League                         Position     Landmarks
2021/22    CS Baloteşti           Romania      Liga I Betano                  -            Left in December
2021/22    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  9th          1st in Relegation group

Next season

I'm considering selling one or two of our good players to balance the finances, but if we can renew the contracts of our main players and make some good signings in the summer we should be capable of playing the Champions group.

• 2 weeks later...

rou.png Concordia Chiajna - Liga I Betano - 2022/23

League table - last season was an indicator that we could do better, and we did exceptionally finishing on top of the regular stage. Unfortunately this stage only does not mean anything.

Champions playoff - this was our time to prove that we could beat the other contenders, and we fell a bit short, although our final matchday against Dinamo could still crown us champions.

Cupa României - we had an excellent campaign which had the icing on the cake in the final, where we went off to a great start and controlled the rest of the game.

Squad - we were luck to keep most of our key players without injuries, and I tried to rotate as much as possible with a very short squad.

Transfers - I only signed two players because it was important not to spend all the money, plus I still had some important contract renewals to take care of, some of which cost more than a transfer because of the agent fees.

Finances - André Teles came in for €95k and I sold the player he replaced for ten times more. Deals like these kept us in the black all season long.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country      League                         Position     Landmarks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2021/22    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  9th          1st in Relegation group
2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cupa României winners

Next season

My time in Romania is done. I leave with a trophy and will look for success in a new country.

1404.png

League - I join in the middle of the season, and the club is well in mid table.

Squad - a quick glance shows there is quality in this squad, as well as a lot of depth in the reserves squad.

Finances - oh hi, money!

Career overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cupa României winners
2023       Strømsgodset           Norway       Eliteserien                    ?

The squad was so badly planned that we didn't meet the requirement of 16 players home grown in Norway. So I spent the summer windows trying to replace some players (even if good) for home grown players, because we simply couldn't register anyone new without un-registering some of the foreign players :mad: 

nor.png Strømsgodset - Eliteserien - 2023

League table - after I took over, we had a 7-3-6 record which is far from impressive for a team that finished 2nd last season. Fortunately we had a strong run in the end which sent us to a fairly respectable place.

Cupen - I fielded mostly the strongest players for this, as it was our best chance of reaching european competitions. Fortunately, it paid off with a comfortable win in the final.

Europa League - the board wanted to reach the group stage and we disappointed, blowing an away lead with a frustrating 2nd leg defeat.

Squad - we have some good players, however with a minimum of 16 home-grown players required, I still have to choose wisely the foreigners I really want to keep in the 25-man squad.

Transfers - not so much for needing money or to improve the quality drastically, but we need to scour the market to have more HG players, as that rule forced us to have two foreign players who couldn't even be registered in the league.

Finances - the league and cup prize money was enough to cover the seasons' wages; we have some margin if we want to pursue a big-money signing.

Career overview

2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cup winners
2023       Strømsgodset           Norway       Eliteserien                    6th          Cup winners

Next season

According to the rules I set for this save, I can consider my mission in Norway accomplished. I will not actively look to get out just yet, I've enjoyed this season and I want to see what I can do with this group for a full season.

• 2 weeks later...

nor.png Strømsgodset - Eliteserien - 2024

Superfinalen - a strong start to the season, showing that we were strong contenders for internal domination.

League table - 2 defeats in the first 2 away matches seemed to be a good tonic to set the group straight into an impressive display, breaking records for points, wins, clean sheets, and goals scored. *I noticed what maybe can be considered a bug, because the 'form' is reflecting all games and not just league games.

Cupen - seven dominant wins guided us to a second consecutive cup victory.

Europa League - we were the 4th seed so I'm pleased with the performance in the group stage (3 wins at home and 3 defeats away), although being eliminated like this left a sour taste.

Squad - this is a young squad filled with potential. Success with this group will depend on rejecting or accepting the numerous transfers offers for the best players. During this season I had to protest to the board accepting transfers offers at least 3 times.

Transfers - with around €6m to spend, the policy was set to invest on quality non-HG players, and HG players with big potential or rotation options.

Finances - as long as there is an European participation in the group stages, there will be financial stability.

Career overview

2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania      Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cup winners
2023       Strømsgodset           Norway       Eliteserien                    6th          Cup winners
2024       Strømsgodset           Norway       Eliteserien                    1st          Supercup and Cup winners

Next season

I'm leaving Norway with a domestic treble, which naturally pleased everyone. The club is left in a good position and I'm looking for a new challenge.

1028.png

League - our last podium was 3rd place three seasons ago; still, mid-table is not acceptable for a big club like this.

Squad - lots of quality, but also some players in their descending stages, so I'll need to manage medium/long-term replacements.

Finances - not a problem.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country       League                         Position     Landmarks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        13th
2018/19    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        12th
2019/20    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        6th
2020/21    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        3rd          Promotion via playoff
2021/22    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga I Betano                  -            Left in December
2021/22    Concordia Chiajna      Romania       Liga I Betano                  9th          1st in Relegation group
2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania       Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cup winners
2023       Strømsgodset           Norway        Eliteserien                    6th          Cup winners
2024       Strømsgodset           Norway        Eliteserien                    1st          Supercup and Cup winners
2024/25    PSV                    Netherlands   Eredivisie                     ?

ned.png PSV - Eredivisie - 2024/25

League table - I took charge in 9th place, so being able to reach 3rd place in half a season was not bad at all. On the downside we miss the money from the Champions League but we have good chances for an interesting EL run.

Cup - already out when I arrived.

Squad - a mix of promising youth and some more experienced players, however there are areas which need strengthening.

Transfers - I only signed a left-back that we needed, and I chose one of my promising kids from Norway.

Finances - maybe I'll need to sell someone to keep the finances in the black for the entire season. That or having a deep european run.

Career overview

Season     Team                   Country       League                         Position     Landmarks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        13th
2018/19    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        12th
2019/20    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        6th
2020/21    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga II Casa Pariurilor        3rd          Promotion via playoff
2021/22    CS Baloteşti           Romania       Liga I Betano                  -            Left in December
2021/22    Concordia Chiajna      Romania       Liga I Betano                  9th          1st in Relegation group
2022/23    Concordia Chiajna      Romania       Liga I Betano                  1st          3rd in Champions playoff; Cup winners
2023       Strømsgodset           Norway        Eliteserien                    6th          Cup winners
2024       Strømsgodset           Norway        Eliteserien                    1st          Supercup and Cup winners
2024/25    PSV                    Netherlands   Eredivisie                     3rd

Next season

A handful of signings and we should be able to do the same, or maybe even better.

• 2 weeks later...

ned.png PSV - Eredivisie - 2025/26

League table - at one point I admit giving up on the title because we were 9 points behind Ajax and they weren't losing any points. I still really don't know how, but they managed to bottle their lead in amazing fashion, and when we finally overtook them with 3 games left it was too late for them.

Cup - I fielded my best squad in the semi finals, but a combination of bad luck, poor form, and eventual winners Heerenveen deserved it.

Europa League - we bossed the group stage and were a close match to Atalanta. The difference was we struggled more at home than we could have.

Squad - replacing some of the most experienced players will not be easy, but this squad is already comprised of a handful of second choices.

Transfers - most of this is the DoF messing around with free agents. I invested on two young strikers (they were decisive to the league title) and on some free agents for next season.

Finances - in good shape, which will only improve with CL football after so many seasons out.

Career overview

2024/25    PSV                    Netherlands   Eredivisie                     3rd
2025/26    PSV                    Netherlands   Eredivisie                     1st

Next season

The end of the season was a pleasant surprise as I was not counting on still having time to mount a title challenge so late in the calendar (I had already planned a handful of transfers for next season). I leave PSV way better than when I came in, and that's enough for me in the Netherlands, leaving with a league title under my belt.

13 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Congratulations on snatching the title away from AJax! Any ideas on where you're heading next?

Thanks! It really was an epic snatching, I almost feel bad for them :lol: they must have been in 1st place for 90-95% of the season.

My goal would be to tour all 14 nations loaded until eventually settling in Portugal, in Caldas or Ac. Viseu (me and my wife's hometown clubs).

I also want to leave the big 5 nations to the end, so right now I'll look for jobs in Sweden, Scotland, Turkey, Greece, and Belgium.

1787.png

League - the team is far from its usual places. The 1st place from 3 seasons ago has not been repeated since.

Squad - some adjustments may be required, although the team is clearly good enough to be in the top half.

Finances - the wage budget is controlled and it seems that, apart from real mismanaging, the financial side should be stable.

Career overview

2025/26    PSV                    Netherlands   Eredivisie                     1st
2026       Djurgårdens IF         Sweden        Allsvenskan                    ?

Djurgårdens is clearly on a level below PSV and Strømsgodset, but this youth intake has the best player I had so far in this save:

Djurg_rdens_IF_Youth_Candidates_Squad_Pl Anton_Jacobsson_Overview_Attributes.png

This guy is a beast and can slot directly into my first squad with no problem whatsoever. I'd say this was a 1/100 intake because the youth recruitment is just 'established'.

swe.png Djurgårdens IF - Allsvenskan - 2026

League - we improved from 12th to 5th after I arrived, which is sign of good things to come.

Svenska Cupen - this is not scheduled the same way as the league, so the cup will continue to be played during the next league edition.

Europa League - Nantes outplayed us at our home, and even a good display in the second leg wasn't enough.

Squad - I did some minor adjustments to a strong squad, although the strikers don't exactly fit into my system.

Transfers - two youngsters with loads of potential were my signings, and I plan to add more players for next season.

Finances - we have room to invest in some players, as the finances are healthy.

Career overview

2026       Djurgårdens IF         Sweden        Allsvenskan                    5th

Next season

I believe that with a strong approach to the market we can build on the pillars of this half season and be in contention for, at least, a top 3 place.

• 2 weeks later...

Youth intake

Djurg_rdens_IF_Youth_Candidates_Squad_Pl

Nothing worth mentioning, the goalkeeper has some potential but is also the player that would take longer to break into the first team. But who knows, my main goalkeeper has many clubs interested, and a €2.8m release clause.

swe.png Djurgårdens IF - Allsvenskan - 2027

League - at one point we had a 8 point lead with a game to play, however we almost managed to blow it all.

Svenska Cupen - the cup runs in a different calendar, so during this season we finished the edition that started the previous year with a win.

Europa League - the board's expectation was the 4th round, and with Lazio in the draw it was difficult to do better.

Squad - I only signed Scandinavian players during my time here, and there is a good proportion of youth and quality.

Transfers - I lost two key players via their low release clauses, which put in doubt our quality at times.

Finances - very healthy.

Career overview

2026       Djurgårdens IF         Sweden        Allsvenskan                    5th
2027       Djurgårdens IF         Sweden        Allsvenskan                    1st          Cup winners

Next season

A not very convincing end to a good overall season. One more trophy in the bag and off I go to the next country.

1879.png

League - we sit in 14th , near the relegation zone. The media prediction is 8th so I told the board to push for a mid-table finish.

Squad - there is a concerning lack of wingers which may lead me to consider an alternative to my standard 4-4-2.

Finances - the wage budget is over the limit, but with money to spend I may look for quality alternatives with less of a burden on wages.

Career overview

2027       Djurgårdens IF         Sweden        Allsvenskan                    1st          Cup winners
2027/28    Trabzonspor            Turkey        Spor Toto Süper Lig            ?

Archived