It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Football comes home” was the official marketing slogan for Euro 96 before Baddiel and Skinner used it. But originally it was used because we were hosting a tournament, now everyone just says “football’s coming home” every time they think England are going to win which doesn’t make much sense.

But yeah, it’s coming home.

31 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You realise you're not actually telling people anything they dont know, right?

People are just getting giddy and enjoying the moment, no matter how long it last, and actually it's great to see England fans actually enjoying a major tournament

Well it is not coming home then?

is it?

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I bet Russell10 has a fart for a face. 

astonishing how people just can't get their heads around the fact that Football, is coming, HOME! 

You must be a right hoot down the pub with chat like that.

enjoy the 2nd round exit guys.

BELIEVE

Forget coming second in the group, we are going right through against all the tough teams and righting all the wrongs from previous years.

R16 - we beat Colombia by the odd goal, Jordan Pickford pulls off a Rene Higuita scorpion kick in stoppage time when they push for an equaliser

QF - if it’s Brazil, Kieran Trippier lofts in a free kick from miles out which looks like a cross but then drops in under the bar with their keeper scrambling. Or if it’s Germany we win on penalties after equalising with a goal like that one Gazza just missed.

SF - Beat Portugal on penalties. Ronaldo gets sent off after stamping on someone and the cameras catch Jesse Lingard winking. Then it’s a rerun of Euro 2004, one of their defenders gets a winner chalked off before Jordan Pickford takes his gloves off in the shootout, saves one and scores the winner

3 minutes ago, Russell10 said:

You must be a right hoot down the pub with chat like that.

enjoy the 2nd round exit guys.

BELIEVE

I'm a hoot everywhere mate.  I'm a ****ing OWL! 

Russell10 seems to know the score....

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Colombia will be the toughest test (from Group H) for us IMO. A street-wise team coming up against our inexperienced back line will be one hell of a test. Gotta be positive now though.

Their back line isn't great either. Would be a fast and furious game.

24 minutes ago, daylight said:

Must resist getting involved, must wait until England are out before gloating, they seem to really believe this time.

"hahahaha you have been knocked out!  I mean we last played in a major tournament 20 years ago and lost 3-0 to Morocco in that final fixture, but hahahahahhaha ROFL"

etc etc

1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

I always thought football had it's roots in China. 

I may be wrong, it's just what I'm assuming. They could have just decided to go with 'it's coming home' as that what football fans in England feel is its home.

Plus this was 1996 before many people had the internet. A lot of you kids won’t remember but you could just say random stuff like “England invented football” and nobody could look on Wikipedia and prove you wrong. Most kids back then hadn’t even heard of China.

37 minutes ago, daylight said:

Must resist getting involved, must wait until England are out before gloating, they seem to really believe this time.

Gee, I wonder which of the 2 categories I mentioned in my post you fall into :D

12 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

I always thought football had it's roots in China. 

There was a form of football in early China.

As @ginnybob says, the formation of what we know as football started in England with regards to the rules/structure. Therefore England can rightly claim to have invented football.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Plus this was 1996 before many people had the internet. A lot of you kids won’t remember but you could just say random stuff like “England invented football” and nobody could look on Wikipedia and prove you wrong. Most kids back then hadn’t even heard of China.

They made our Hot Wheels! 

32 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

"hahahaha you have been knocked out!  I mean we last played in a major tournament 20 years ago and lost 3-0 to Morocco in that final fixture, but hahahahahhaha ROFL"

etc etc

Dude I was clearly making a joke, never mind though.

'They really believe, they really believe, it's coming home'.

I went to an open park concert a few years ago and the Lightning Seeds were playing. Apart from being a bit rubbish they didn’t even sing Three Lions.

When they finished their set everyone assumed they would come on and do it as an encore so the crowd were all singing along but they just never returned.

2 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

"And we'll really shake them up

When we win the world cup"

We did win it though.  We beat Holland 5-0 when Archie Gemmill scored another 2, then we pumped everyone in the second group stage, then Argentina in the final, and Ally McLeod brought the trophy home.  If we didn't, then how come we did?

I've always found the laughing at England part a bit disingenuous.  Sure it's just the rivalry, but to laugh at England getting another (at least) 2nd knockout round exit is an incredibly wee team attitude when we haven't been able to qualify.  Still, it gets an incredible rise of whataboutery from some, so that's nice.  

If England did somehow manage to win it, good for them.  My Dad would be delighted, so that'd be nice.  It doesn't directly affect Scotland in any way, so I find it hard to muster up the bitterness that some can show.

its coming Home? LOL home of what? WC champions will be Belgium oofc and and england won't get past quarters! 
England is and always been that Overrated team every single major competition .... and at the end we all know what happens. :)  gl on top8.

No one but their own fans believes in England to win a  WC... unless you´re playing FM even with a championship team selection you can win. overrated lads ^^

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

China lol

They invented chickenballs, not football silly :lol:

They had this sport ('cuju') during the Han Dynasty but modern football is a direct evolution from football played in England.

If there's one word I'd use to describe England, it wouldn't be overrated.  They perform largely to par in most tournaments.  They're in the second tier of nations outwith the ones that will constantly challenge for tournaments.  That is, they could push to the semis or even the final with some luck, but will likely be last 16 more often than not, quarters as an expectation.

Although if I was Belgian, I'd probably not be throwing stones from a position of having a ridiculously talented squad that has done largely nothing*

* which could all change of course if they win this tournament (which they likely won't)

4 minutes ago, Mawka said:

No one but their own fans believes in England to win a  WC... unless you´re playing FM even with a championship team selection you can win. overrated lads ^^

Outside England most would expect them to at most reach the QFs. Some might expect them to reach the semis if they are lucky, but most think winning is far-fetched indeed.

England are quite alright these days, even about 90% of the fans are fine, no going on and on how they're the best team in the world. 

The only reason I like to see them go out is because you would never hear the end of it.

TV, newspapers, the Internet, nothing would be the same. :lol:

Just now, Andrew_ said:

Inside England we're all planning how to give our boys a heroes welcome when they carry the World Cup trophy off the plane. 

..... Or ignoring them totally when Japan spank them, whatever comes first eh? :D

Just now, Andrew_ said:

Inside England we're all planning how to give our boys a heroes welcome when they carry the World Cup trophy off the plane. 

I'm getting the mrs pregnant so I can have a son called Gareth :thup:

Modern football was created by English and evolved by the Scots :brock:

Until we showed ya that you can pass the ball, England's idea of football was to run in formation - one man has the ball and dribbles with his teammates behind him ready to get the ball if he is tackled. It was the Scots who realised that if you passed the ball forward you had a better chance of not giving the ball away. 

43 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Modern football was created by English and evolved by the Scots :brock:

Until we showed ya that you can pass the ball, England's idea of football was to run in formation - one man has the ball and dribbles with his teammates behind him ready to get the ball if he is tackled. It was the Scots who realised that if you passed the ball forward you had a better chance of not giving the ball away. 

We also invented the Pizza Crunch.  You're all welcome.

1 hour ago, Andrew_ said:

Having stolen it presumably. :D

Archived