Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

can i ask a question. how does the pa with staff work? how do you know what field they are going to get good in? is it worth signing high pa staff ?

Regarding PA and improving on CA, staff improve based on experience. Simplified - as they age they improve provided they are challenged by being employed at a suitably high level.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Not sure if this has been reported yet or not (apologies if it has!)

So I'm playing my second game of the PL season as Liverpool v Huddersfield and second half just started. I play in 2D and have 3D only for goal replays. So in game time 46:22, Solanke crosses the ball which goes out of play and for some reason, it shows a replay of that and now the game is "stuck". 

The replay bar (the one with the "upload to youtube" and "skip") can still be seen in the background and there is no way to progress the game. I have tried pressing skip, pausing and unpausing, making a substitute etc, nothing has worked. 

Not sure if this is replicable or not. Will try closing the game and see if it occurs again or not.

Anyway, I have posted this to the match engine bug sub-forum. Just posting here too!

fm bug.jpg

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, A Double K said:

Hi,

Not sure if this has been reported yet or not (apologies if it has!)

So I'm playing my second game of the PL season as Liverpool v Huddersfield and second half just started. I play in 2D and have 3D only for goal replays. So in game time 46:22, Solanke crosses the ball which goes out of play and for some reason, it shows a replay of that and now the game is "stuck". 

The replay bar (the one with the "upload to youtube" and "skip") can still be seen in the background and there is no way to progress the game. I have tried pressing skip, pausing and unpausing, making a substitute etc, nothing has worked. 

Not sure if this is replicable or not. Will try closing the game and see if it occurs again or not.

Anyway, I have posted this to the match engine bug sub-forum. Just posting here too!

fm bug.jpg

Thanks for also posting in the bugs forum.

On 10/27/2017 at 22:48, PHITSO said:

Going back to FM17 until release of 18. Hopefully then I can use the editor and download a new skin.

So far (I know it's only beta), it seems to be a backwards step from FM17. The skin and interface looks amateurish. Not sure what the capital letters on each header of each page are about, please can they go? Really not sure what the font is. Did it really need to change?

I'm a 2D player, I just can't get into the 3D gameplay. Never will, but that's fine. 2D is worrying me, I hope SI aren't trying to hard to slowly decommission it and move all players over to 3D. Having to still have the 3D stadium backgrounds on my screen before a game starts and when it finishes, before I can go to my team talk, really bugs me. I wish there was an options in the preferences to disable anything graphical like that all together from the matches.

Been playing for 10 years now and I'm sad to say it's the first time I've not been able to delve straight in and feel immersed into the game.

Same here....

FM18 not having an option to turn OFF 3D and having a split screen/screen like before.....well, that ruins the game for me. 

at least I decide to have a go to the beta, my first impressions:

- 'i' icon...it's awful that you cannot hover over the i icon beside a name and check immediately the attributes, I think it's a bug because when you go out of the icon and then back on it the attributes are there again...please solve it, over a multi season game it costs a lot of time

- the friendlies are not listed in the calendar in the top right corner of the screen. you see them in the fixture list but they are missing in the calendar at the top right

- ME: some good things, but an awful bias towards long and useless passes, no matter the situation, the player involved, the pressure of the opponents...when the players recover the ball, they fire long blind passes straight to the opponent, bad bad bad

I really appreciate many of the improvements that have been done this year, such as the pre-match experience and better tactic screen outlay. But is anyone else really bugged from the top timeline bar during the match...it's just killing off the experience of watching the match in full screen. It's so big and ugly. It used to be small down the commentary. The options also used to disappear and only reappear when you hover up, now it's all there. Is there a way to hide this?

On 10/27/2017 at 23:23, LolloViola said:

it's funny how you try to force people to embrace the 3D solutions using the "new" classic 2D and the "data analyst" one, advising to "give it a try" when it's clearly enormously different from what we were used to.

I think that almost 50% of old players (my first game was a floppy 92/93 edition and I didn't jump a single year...!) absolutely loved the simple, essential, perfect 2D that we had until last edition and now its loss won't absolutely be rewarded by scouting, medical centre etc. etc. etc; did you refuse to mention it in the promotional videos because you were somehow aware of the disappointment you were going to cause?

As you said: FM's focus is mainly the match day and, for a lot of us, the match day was absolutely perfect with our beloved "OLD" 2D.

(...and the capital letters on the top of each screen are definitely terrible).

My hype for the day-one collapsed, for the first time in almost 20 years.

Any developed should make sure they do not push things too far to alienate the hard core follower...and they just did. 

I've not uninstalled FM18 and will be going back to FM17 until they make changes to the 3D options, match day screen etc. If they don't - fair enough. I'll keep playing FM17 and won't buy FM19 then unless it's changed then....not happening? Well, we'll see quite a few from the core group never buying a new release again and instead opting for data updates to FM17.

I think based on the last 24 hours I may have been convinced to go 3D full time. I don't understand what's happened but FM17 the 3D was poor looking on medium settings but I didn't mind because I was commentary only with 3D goal replays. 

Beginning of beta looked pretty bad too, well not bad, but just the same as 17. Now since the patch, the 3D runs smoother, it looks smoother and for the first time I'm able to see stadiums. It really is cracking. I just have no idea how it was able to be a massive upgrade without changing any settings and still having the same old crappy laptop. 

I am not complaining though and am taking this as it comes. 

6 hours ago, Svenc said:

There's one popular review arguing there'd be heavy demand for "less realistic results" even (presumably sides not losing if they have more possession and shots, even if it's Liverpool, or forwards not missing 70% of their big chances, even if it's Arsenal, and even if thanks to Opta we know that's precisely what they do).

About this point. I don't think the stats are a reliable measure of the game's reality, seeing as there are still dubious numbers for passing, crossing, km run, chances created etc, as well as dubious defensive and offensive play in general. If we input these numbers the game produces and are still getting the same scores and the same shot conversions as real life then logically it doesn't make sense. 

2 minutes ago, SlayerX87 said:

During a match West ham vs Southampton 40 some min this pops out of nowhere 

20171031_204550.jpg

Post it in the bugs forum - crashes and add the crash dump file.

One audio issue is that the crowd noise sort of cuts in and out. Not in front of the game now but it happens in game I think when leaving the tactics screen or maybe it's when going to a highlight after a period of simming. It's very unpleasant and grating on the ears. 

When the crowd noise pops in and out is a little weird. It's like there's a delay between a highlight and when it starts just simming the match if that makes sense. 

I am very disappointed with this edition of FM so far.

I manage games for 90 minutes and used to watch them with the elevated camera, none of the cameras are suitable for this now and I have had to go and watch in 2d.

As others have stated the UI is a disgrace, no flow. Spending 5 minutes to find something I could find in 3 seconds before.

I've played this game since the start and now at 47 years of age feel that this love affair may have now come to an end.

Maybe I should be grateful as I have spent far too much of my life playing FM.

36 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Sorry for being thick - 
I can't work out how to set my scout to scout next opposition. :idiot:

Scouting > Create new assignment > Select Team from the left side & then next opposition from the right side.

2 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

yep most of the top side seem to struggle. game seems to prefer counter attack football with burnly stoke and wba doing well 

It was already a problem in FM17 . City to underachieve and Arsenal winning the league in the first season of almost every new save.

Promised a player a new deal and he rejected me 3 times within the timeframe. When he came to me unhappy that my promise had not been kept, I had no option to explain the situation, only something like 'I'm sorry I forgot' or 'you are not getting a new deal'.

There needs to be an option saying 'I've offered you a deal 3 times and you rejected it pal, are you concussed?'

I'm 8 games into my save with Everton and I've held a pre-match tactical briefing before each one yet the players haven't reacted to a single thing me or my assistant has said. Every time I say something it says the squad had very little reaction.

Is this due to me being a new manager at the club or is it a bug? Surely they'd have something to say. It's a pretty pointless feature if the players don't ever react to what I'm saying to them.

Guest El Payaso

I don't know if this is going to be the right place to ask but are there going to be database updates when the full version is released? 

Does anyone else playing feel really underwhelmed? I know it’s only the BETA but it is littered with bugs and there really isn’t that much improvement on last years. I have played FM/CM for years and this year I don’t really feel it, any one else the same? I’m currently on my second save (first one I used for a run as I have just purchased a new laptop) I planned on keeping this save going but the bugs make it almost unplayabale. Thoughts?

Edited by robbie_start

24 minutes ago, robbie_start said:
Does anyone else playing feel really underwhelmed? I know it’s only the BETA but it is littered with bugs and there really isn’t that much improvement on last years. I have played FM/CM for years and this year I don’t really feel it, any one else the same? I’m currently on my second save (first one I used for a run as I have just purchased a new laptop) I planned on keeping this save going but the bugs make it almost unplayabale. Thoughts?

Worst FM or CM there has ever been IMO, which is sad because the dynamics are a good idea but the whole thing looks like it was thrown together in an afternoon as a proof of concept before any actual work starts on it.

Dynamics is killing the game its broken. Top of the league with Zurich unbeaten in 12, settled side playing well, and then two players complain no football I tell them players in front of them playing well, and then the squad turns on me. 
Ridiculous! that little meter is now halfway down due to these two players. 

27 minutes ago, robbie_start said:

Not loving the match day panel, and the number of clicks needed to progress but getting used to it and ME looks promising. Scouting reports are ruining the game for me though, and it's not a minor issue.

59 minutes ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

I'm 8 games into my save with Everton and I've held a pre-match tactical briefing before each one yet the players haven't reacted to a single thing me or my assistant has said. Every time I say something it says the squad had very little reaction.

Is this due to me being a new manager at the club or is it a bug? Surely they'd have something to say. It's a pretty pointless feature if the players don't ever react to what I'm saying to them.

Exactly the same, they brought it in and no matter what I say in the pre match tactical briefing there reply is always nothing... worthless and pointless. 

Thing is, I think it's your manager reputation and experience coming into play there. I had your issue at Liverpool. A huge club with class players with expectations to challenge for the title and progress in the CL. I was a brand new manager with international football experience. But does that make you a good manager? No. Big club players with high expectations aren't going to be jumping for joy at an untested manager (regardless of pro experience) taking over the club. 

I did another save with Everton and its completely different. Smaller club expectations wise, not expecting CL or to even make waves in the league, but the players respond a lot better. 

Sure, it might not be perfect but I think it's far from broken. I think the issue is how people are interpreting it more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Same here. I've resorted to leaving to the assman and he actually gets responses - mind you he tweaks the indiv player instrucs!

29 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Not loving the match day panel, and the number of clicks needed to progress but getting used to it and ME looks promising. Scouting reports are ruining the game for me though, and it's not a minor issue.

Been playing 24 hours solid having just gotten a break from work. I'm getting the hang of the whole match-day experience and overall i think it's great. 

But the scout reports - yeh, they're a nightmare. For me I can live with it since when the full game is out I'll be doing a lower league career whereby I'll be bringing my youth recruits through and never buying a single player - but I fully agree that the design is awfully opaque.

Not loving Dynamics tbqh.

Had like 15 players mutiny twice over trivial things - 1st time because I didn't want to give Dele Alli 200k a week when its twice what any other player is on and he has just short of 5 years on his existing deal. 2nd time was because I wouldn't play Wanyama when Eric Dier was on a 5 game run of form averaging about 8.00. Morale and form has now of course tanked.

2 hours ago, JB22 said:

Anyone know how to set your wingers to swap sides with each other?

Outside of a match goto Tactics -> Players screen then select the positions you want to swap, but don't select a player and at the bottom of the instructions panel is an option for them to switch (should be a screenshot of the page somewhere in the thread).

If you are in a match then their should be a shout to get Wide Players to swap.

5 hours ago, Per Annum said:

It took it being mentioned on here for me to even notice but I really do miss the pop-up with scorer/card information during a match. Like, a lot. Would like it back.

This is one of the worst design decisions they made. It's now so drab and underwhelming. 

2 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Not loving Dynamics tbqh.

Had like 15 players mutiny twice over trivial things - 1st time because I didn't want to give Dele Alli 200k a week when its twice what any other player is on and he has just short of 5 years on his existing deal. 2nd time was because I wouldn't play Wanyama when Eric Dier was on a 5 game run of form averaging about 8.00. Morale and form has now of course tanked.

The sole purpose of Dynamics is to trip you up. To make things more difficult.

Players going crazy because you sold some crap 3rd choice left back.

It's completely unrealistic and an immersion breaker.

3 minutes ago, turgi said:

I can't find where to create a new assignment for my scouts...

I found WHERE; I haven't found out exactly HOW ....

As to where, there might be a way with fewer clicks but I went

1. click on the scout

2. top menu bar click on 'reports' > scout assignments

3. far right of screen is the button.

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I found WHERE; I haven't found out exactly HOW ....

As to where, there might be a way with fewer clicks but I went

1. click on the scout

2. top menu bar click on 'reports' > scout assignments

3. far right of screen is the button.

Nope..

I found scout assignments. Can't find how to set a new assignment.

6 minutes ago, ai2ker said:

The other issue may be under staff responsibilities - in my case my Chief Scout had defaulted to making these assignments. 

Legend.

After changing the responsibilities, when you go to scout assignments there's a button of 'create new assignment'

I've noticed while playing the game this year that so many passes are played off the floor when there is no need. This is not realistic at all, players don't play 5-10 yard passes in the air with no player in between to play it over.

I played 2D classic on FM 2017 so if this has always been the case I would never have noticed it until now. 

It just looks so unnatural and unrealistic to me when players are playing so many passes in the air. I'm playing with Everton so the players should be able to pass the ball on the floor.

1 hour ago, corn_onthecurb said:

What is it with the near post crosses being parried by keepers? It happens far to often...

Was this coded to compensate for the stupid amount of far post goals we last in the one of the last editions? 

The stupid amount of far post goals from crosses appears to be alive and well