Football Manager 2017 Release Date and Pre Purchase Details Announced

1 hour ago, jimbo22 said:

Its pretty obvious I was talking about the newer features. Its a surprise that we know nothing of the new features the game has. I've been on here long enough to know what the 'basics' of the game are but SI has never not mentioned the new features year on year. I'd be surprised if, this close to release, we've heard nothing about the next version.

But i've also been on here long enough to know the way some act when people post things.

You didn't hear nothing, since there was a teaser. Which is obviously a prelude to more.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've pre-ordered from an international retailer. I live in Brazil, one of the countries that you coudn't pre-order FM 17 via Steam. I've bought FM 17 even with the misgiving that I couldn't activate here in my country. My luck is that I live in a city  which make borders to Bolivia. 

And SI and SEGA sicks me up with this "silence", treating us like a ping-pong ball: SI tells me to seek information from SEGA and SEGA tells me to talk to SI.
It's a disrespect to us in so many levels :( 

7 minutes ago, apsychoshow said:

I've pre-ordered from an international retailer. I live in Brazil, one of the countries that you coudn't pre-order FM 17 via Steam. I've bought FM 17 even with the misgiving that I couldn't activate here in my country. My luck is that I live in a city  which make borders to Bolivia. 

And SI and SEGA sicks me up with this "silence", treating us like a ping-pong ball: SI tells me to seek information from SEGA and SEGA tells me to talk to SI.
It's a disrespect to us in so many levels :( 

I feel sorry for you guys. SI is probably trying to do everything to have it released in Brazil. You should complain to the associations that are taking the money.

This is really a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. Nobody is going to choose between PES and FM as they're wildly different.

8 minutes ago, fabioke said:

I feel sorry for you guys. SI is probably trying to do everything to have it released in Brazil. You should complain to the associations that are taking the license money.

This is really a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. Nobody is going to choose between PES and FM as they're wildly different. 

But the problem here is that Football Manager is a niche game and in a country which piracy reigns... It's really a lose-lose situation. We're a country with almost 210 million people and even if we complain to the associations, they sign exclusivity contracts with Konami and EA.
What SI (or Sega) should give us is the oportunity  to activate the game in our country, even if we bought from an international retailer, like the Germans do.

3 minutes ago, apsychoshow said:

What SI (or Sega) should give us is the oportunity  to activate the game in our country, even if we bought from an international retailer, like the Germans do.

If I remember correctly no one from SI or Sega did post, that this will not be the case. I think you just need to be patient until the release of the game.

On 17/8/2016 at 19:22, Neil Brock said:

They will appear as two different games in Steam and will need to be downloaded separately. 

One question with fm beta Si will release and fm 2017 editor??If not when is editors release date??

I remember last year I pre-ordered the game through amazon and got sent a download code on the day of the beta release, however this year there's is only a hard copy option. Will there be a download code option via amazon to pre-order this year?

On 2016. 08. 24. at 16:18, Neil Brock said:

The participating digital retailers will be announced at a later date. For now Sega Store and Steam are the only confirmed ones as far as I'm aware. Once I have more information I'll update this thread.

Thanks. 

Game will be released in a month and still no info about " participating digital retailers" :(

17 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'm not sure why you wouldnt want them to talk about addings laods of new animations, when a ) it's a legitimate point and b) it's something some people want focusing on.

If you have to play in 2d despite having a good setup, then either you need to be visiting the technical forums, or your set up isnt as good as you think.

They can talk about animations but don't make out that having 10 new goalie animations = 10 new features.

As for my PC, according to the games  system requirements and every 'Will It Run' type site it should more than be able to handle FM. I  guess with PC gaming it's easy to blame the customers computer for failing to run the game rather than admit that the game is released faulty.

28 minutes ago, matt_forest said:

They can talk about animations but don't make out that having 10 new goalie animations = 10 new features.

As for my PC, according to the games  system requirements and every 'Will It Run' type site it should more than be able to handle FM. I  guess with PC gaming it's easy to blame the customers computer for failing to run the game rather than admit that the game is released faulty.

I didn't blame anything on you. Read it again. If you want to sit and not do anything about it, that's up to you. It's no skin off my nose 

10 animations has never = 10 new features. You've made that up

Just over a month to release date and we have no worthwhile information on Football Manager 2017. And I have no idea why. 

Also, I'm probably not the first person or the last to say this, but new FM games would be a far more exciting prospect of me if I knew, definitively, that SI's main focus was to develop the ME. I care very little for the alternate game modes, for gimmicks like Create a Manager - but I do care greatly for a ME that relates as close to reality as other aspects of the game do. That's what I'd love to see FM focusing on.

The ME is one of the major focus on every new release of FM. But it is also very difficult to develop a good, balanced ME that satisfy the majority of the players. They are working hard every year to improve the ME and you could expect one that is different to FM 2016. 

5 minutes ago, KUBI said:

The ME is one of the major focus on every new release of FM. But it is also very difficult to develop a good, balanced ME that satisfy the majority of the players. They are working hard every year to improve the ME and you could expect one that is different to FM 2016. 

To be fair, I was pretty happy with this ME, apart from the key passes "bug" (*maybe just an odd interpretation), the overwhelmingly-commented crossing and a few discrepancies in  tactical roles, their definitions and compositions. 

I just hope for something that's dynamic, realistic and improved. 

22 minutes ago, KUBI said:

It has to differ to the one we have in 16 considering there's major issues with full backs/wing backs and crossing.

It will be. There was no FM release in the past without a changed/improved ME. It was always a major part of every new release and that's probably the reason why they do not promote it.

53 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think it's escaped a lot of people's attention that in the teaser they mentioned a big mid October reveal. 

Problem is that the loyalty offer also ends mid October.

Whilst SI have said its a thank you to those who have purchased the previous versions the fact is to benefit from the offer people have to order before knowing whats been changed/added.

I can't remember the last FM where we had so little information about the game at this point in time.

I don't have an issue with SI changing their marketing strategy and trying something different but to do it in this way the same year as offering a limited time loyalty offer is really poor form which will reflect badly on them if they don't release more information over the next couple of weeks.

It is a LOYALITY offer. For those who needs more information before they buy something they did buy in the past 10 or 20 years, there is the opportunity to wait until the demo is released. After that they can profit from other discounts. 

19 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Problem is that the loyalty offer also ends mid October.

Whilst SI have said its a thank you to those who have purchased the previous versions the fact is to benefit from the offer people have to order before knowing whats been changed/added.

I can't remember the last FM where we had so little information about the game at this point in time.

I don't have an issue with SI changing their marketing strategy and trying something different but to do it in this way the same year as offering a limited time loyalty offer is really poor form which will reflect badly on them if they don't release more information over the next couple of weeks.

It was always aimed at people who would buy the game regardless. Hence loyalty offer. Miles has always been very clear about who it was aimed it. People still have time and the option to wait and see, and hunt for deals elsewhere. 

19 minutes ago, KUBI said:

It is a LOYALITY offer. For those who needs more information before they buy something they did buy in the past 10 or 20 years, there is the opportunity to wait until the demo is released. After that they can profit from other discounts. 

This is pretty much what I do every year. I never purchase till I play a demo version 

5 hours ago, KUBI said:

I'm keeping my finger cross on it, especially on 2 aspects of the ME; how a top division goalkeeper parry a point blank shot and different hair length of players.

Anyway, looking forward to my investment and support of the game paid-off, as i've made my pre-order after watching the teaser.  :)

9 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It was always aimed at people who would buy the game regardless. Hence loyalty offer. Miles has always been very clear about who it was aimed it. People still have time and the option to wait and see, and hunt for deals elsewhere. 

The marketing department should really take a good hard look at themselves. The purpose should be to attract people and not chase them away. 

I will purchase reagardless of what new features etc as I purchase every year without fail and always with beta as cant help but but always looking for that updated version.

The limited information this year is frustrating as it's always good to see what new features there are too look forward to.

My save for 16 is still the beta version as after the couple weeks couldn't bring myself to start again due to being so successful but that's the joys and what we love about fm is how addictive it is.

Im sure, hope there will be some sort of announcemt soon on some new features to keep the build up going to beta release.

2 minutes ago, fabioke said:

The marketing department should really take a good hard look at themselves. The purpose should be to attract people and not chase them away. 

Miles has stated they've had far more pre-orders (discount or otherwise) than they expected. So it's definitely attracting people. 

37 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Miles has stated they've had far more pre-orders (discount or otherwise) than they expected. So it's definitely attracting people. 

That doesn't tell the full story though.

What should have been something positive has left a sour taste in the mouth for many and the reaction has generally been negative due to the lack of information.

I'm sure it will work out ok in the end and those that have pre-ordered will generally be happy with FM17 but that doesn't mean that SI couldn't have handled it better.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

That doesn't tell the full story though.

What should have been something positive has left a sour taste in the mouth for many and the reaction has generally been negative due to the lack of information.

I'm sure it will work out ok in the end and those that have pre-ordered will generally be happy with FM17 but that doesn't mean that SI couldn't have handled it better.

But it kind of does. It was marketed as a loyalty bonus. The teaser led to a another spike, and there is still a the big reveal. The only difference between this year and the last two years is the loyalty bonus. We had previously orders before the reveal before. 

42 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

But it kind of does. It was marketed as a loyalty bonus. The teaser led to a another spike, and there is still a the big reveal. The only difference between this year and the last two years is the loyalty bonus. We had previously orders before the reveal before. 

Yes it was marketed as a loyalty bonus but because of other factors its been tainted.

In terms of differences its not just the loyalty bonus its the lack of information at this stage of the process.

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

Yes it was marketed as a loyalty bonus but because of other factors its been tainted.

In terms of differences its not just the loyalty bonus its the lack of information at this stage of the process.

The timing of which has changed little from last year, and they intend to do a mid October reveal. 

The reaction of some on the forum is very different to the overall reaction. Think it's often forgotten this forum doesn't even represent a majority of FM players 

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Which is kind of a worrying development.
They know (realise more and more) they can sell the game on the name alone. That really is something customers should be worried about

On 01/10/2016 at 09:19, matt_forest said:

managers tie on the box, that's a new feature*. Just list 5-10 big new features rather than go on about 100's of new animations that are promised

Agree, but can be good. Let's just hope the revenue from sales goes into the development of the game. 

The real news I like to hear about new version of FM is the Editor. Since the last couple of years, those announcements are only known at the day the game is released. So for me makes no sense in pre-ordering the game before that.

17 minutes ago, roykela said:

They know (realise more and more) they can sell the game on the name alone. That really is something customers should be worried about

Not really. It's the choice of each individual customer to make a decision. It's their responsibility to weigh things up before a purchase. And they should own that. 

20 minutes ago, roykela said:

2k took this approach with NBA this year there was nothing until 2/3 weeks before release. When a game has cornered the market there's no reason to waste time (and money) promoting it. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Not really. It's the choice of each individual customer to make a decision. It's their responsibility to weigh things up before a purchase. And they should own that. 

Exactly. They realise more and more that quantity is more desirable than quality.
They capitalise on that and over time we might very well have a company that used to be "fans creating a game" turn out to be
"money-grabbers".
All you need then is to keep the successful core of the game and slowly update more and more of the contents that don't really matter.

Gaming is in genenral a very different audicence but companies sure know how to exploit people purely buying a product on the name
itself (and reputation).

A loyalty offer is great. No information yet is fine as well.
But when you combine those two together with a wording that implies that information will start coming after the loyalty offer has expired;
that's when i get worried. I'm not saying that is what will happen but i'm simply looking at recent years development and forward towards the future.

Is that how the show loyalty from their side? Simply a next-to-no information for a discounted price?
A regular response is that it's FM you should know what you get.
Then why would i buy the next iteration then if it's the same? That just gives me a reason to not buy the upcoming game.

12 minutes ago, roykela said:

Exactly. They realise more and more that quantity is more desirable than quality.
They capitalise on that and over time we might very well have a company that used to be "fans creating a game" turn out to be
"money-grabbers".
All you need then is to keep the successful core of the game and slowly update more and more of the contents that don't really matter.

Gaming is in genenral a very different audicence but companies sure know how to exploit people purely buying a product on the name
itself (and reputation).

A loyalty offer is great. No information yet is fine as well.
But when you combine those two together with a wording that implies that information will start coming after the loyalty offer has expired;
that's when i get worried. I'm not saying that is what will happen but i'm simply looking at recent years development and forward towards the future.

Is that how the show loyalty from their side? Simply a next-to-no information for a discounted price?
A regular response is that it's FM you should know what you get.
Then why would i buy the next iteration then if it's the same? That just gives me a reason to not buy the upcoming game.

You've based all that on a false implication: that the believe in quantum over quality. Because that is false, the rest of the point doesn't hold up 

56 minutes ago, roykela said:

In what way?

In that your argument is built on speculation that because sales have gone well, they will focus less on quality, or that the implication is to release information after the pre order, when they arent even linked. 

Youve started worrying about something that isn't happening based on information you don't have enough off. 

The only thing that has changed between this year and the last two years is the loyalty discount of 5% per steam FM edition purchased. 

Sales have gone well. Good.
What's less good is that they have gone well when nothing has been revealed.
That is worrying. That's when customers are sending a not-so-ideal message to developers.
I don't worry as long as the current bunch of people are there but that will change over time.

What isn't happening? Do you know for a fact it's not happening?
What's happening is that they're getting more money than they expected based on, pretty much, nothing.

This year and the last two years is not what i'm worrying about.
I look further than that and i look at more than just those years of how they released a game.
I look at important content, superficial content, fun content, realistic content, the way they're fixing bugs and errors, how often they do it and much more.

When it comes to this year though this is simply what my thougths are.
Why would i buy something i know nothing about?
Why are they getting people to buy it and slapping a "loyalty" discount on it? If it was down to loyalty and the loyal customers would buy it anyway, wouldn't it
be just as good, or even better, giving those loyal customers some exciting information?
Why is a loyalty offer just about money?<

And of course it's speculation. I don't have anything else to go by now, do i?
More information, less speculation.

It's completely irrelevant what other customers do. It's their money, they can spend or not spend as they indiviually see fit. Not you or anyone else. The whole point of the discount is to reward people who would still buy it anyway. Simple as that. Nothing else to it. The pre orde is still a pre order, as there with be people who don't quality for the discount, ie anyone who hasn't bought FM before. No has asked you to buy anything, the big reveal leading to launch is upcoming. What you do with that info is upto you, this circular discussion is largely pointless. 

I don't have an issue with the loyalty discount alone. I think that is a great offer.
It's the combination of a few things, especially together with the discount, i have an issue with.

SI, by doing what they have done, have asked customers to buy their product based on nothing.
So, someone did ask people to buy something by putting it out there.
A customer's mind is easily manipulated in the disguise of discounts. Companies do know how to exploit that.
Regardless whether it's the most dislikable company or the most loved company.

With all that said; i do look forward to the upcoming launch. I hope it'll be as enjoyable as the other games.
And i will more likely than not buy this upcoming version as well, as it is, by far, my favourite game and series of games
for the last 20 years.

Been quite some time since I played the game, as time was consumed for other things, but then I realised to myself how polished Football Manager itself is. There are PLENTY of big games out there that have so many huge/big bugs or gameplay elements thats broken and here we are, complaning about the most small detail in a Football Managing game ranging from injuries to ME 'bugs' and arguing if it is realistic enough or not. Let me just give you the example of one of the most played games in the world, counter strike global offensive. Where the developer doesn't care about the game. There was a game breaking bug that wasn't patched for over a year until the community gave the developer the fix. And even yet when they managed to fix it, they introduced some others bugs along with it, which took another few weeks to fix. And then theres still various bugs in it thats not fixed for over 4(!!!!) years and various gameplay issues that although have been complained about for yearssss(4+) is still not fixed as well. 

Come on guys, take a minute to appreciate how extremely well this game is made despite all it does is simulate 22 guys on a pitch running and kicking a ball. It does it extremely well and the amount of details the game has is amazing. 

Also about the loyality issue, Im here all ready to try to demo and buy a copy if I like it. Remember, tons of good games dont even have a demo... Just reminds me again how amazing this game is if you look aside all the small issues. 

Just now, suncrush said:

My thread about this got locked down, but I do wish they'd give a definite date for the Beta release.  I'd like to plan my work schedule around it, and I need to do that very soon.

They can't give one, because there isn't one. SI will release it when they're ready to, even if it is 'only' Beta.

3 minutes ago, suncrush said:

My thread about this got locked down, but I do wish they'd give a definite date for the Beta release.  I'd like to plan my work schedule around it, and I need to do that very soon.

No info apart from just after the feature announcements which will be at mid Oct:

Archived