Football Manager 2017 Release Date and Pre Purchase Details Announced

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Sterling said:

I've preordered on Steam, I normally hunt around for a better deal at other sites but I was pretty happy with the 20% discount offered this year.

Overall I'm just happy to keep supporting the product with a yearly investment, sure FM usually has a few flaws but year on year I still keep enjoying it and I want it to stick around. 

You don't know how good you've got it until something is no longer around, the world would be a much sadder place without FM, flaws and all nothing else comes close. 

I agree

On 27/09/2016 at 15:45, Georgik said:

You are pushed to preorder it (with various offers), even though you don't know anything about it.

1 - You're not 'pushed' to pre-order it, you have a choice

2 - If you're pre-ordering it to maximise the loyalty discount, by definition you've played at least the last four versions. If that's the case, you can't possibly say with a straight face that you 'don't know anything about it'

I'm pretty sure there was a version of the game fairly recently where there was no features announced at all (although I could be wrong). Certainly in the days where the internet wasn't as popular as it is now, you very rarely got any features pre-announced. As with many things about FM, people fly off the handle at the smallest things. 

23 hours ago, GSevensM75 said:

You're braver than me.  I purchased everyone of the original versions right up until CM03/04 (still my favourite interface).  I then took a break before purchasing FM09 and I've purchased every version since.

I almost didn't purchase FM16 because I thought FM15 was a broken product after the final patch.  But I caved because I needed my FM fix.  Only problem is FM16 was also a broken product after the final patch.

Which leaves me with a dilemma.  I want my FM fix but it's pointless going back to FM16.  But I am just not sure if I have it in me to waste more money on a product that may be flawed from release to end of life support (all in under 12 months!).

I'm not bothered about new features.  I just want the game fixed.  Especially with regards to lower league management, the fact you need so many coaches, the player ratings not reflecting what you can visually see when you watch the match etc.  Any new features I want are to break current flaws, like Assistant Managers following Managers to new clubs etc.  I'd also like SI to let us DB modders into what the non-player stats mean and ideally work out the CA for us like the editor does for the players or tell us what the relationship status actually does from a game mechanics perspective.  But these are things that should have been addressed versions ago so I am not holding much hope.

Ironically the more features they announce, the less likely I am to purchase the game.  For me fixing the flawed core game is far more important than add extra features.  Reminds me of my old mechanic who told me every time the car manufacturers add new features to their model all they are actually doing is adding more things to go wrong......

Very good post, I agree with most of what you say altough Like you I nearly didn't buy FM16 as I didn't like the demo at all.  In fact I bought it late May in a sale and I am loving it and am having none of the problems I had with the ME in the demo.  I doubt if I will buy FM17 though as I usually buy on a two year cycle.

Clearly I will buy it like every year and I imagine SI know the majority of their customers think exactly like me but it's a little disappointing not to have heard anything about the game yet bar a 30 second video. The BETA is released around 2 weeks before actual release date so technically we are looking at around October 21st and that's 3 weeks tomorrow, doesn't give much time for features to be announced? Bare in mind Miles usually does videos for this.

I look forward to it anyway. Like many I've been playing since 15-20 years now so they could tell me it only has a transfer update this year and I'd probably still buy it :lol:

5 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

they are in media offensive. last week an article on BBC and now this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/sep/29/football-manager-2017-sport-plymouth-argyle

I don't know how this doessn't qualify as paid article ...

Probably just a win-win. It's that time of the year and it's a fun article.

Paid articles are marked. There is no Call to action (no feature reveal and no running beta) and the timing would not be ideal.

25 minutes ago, fabioke said:

Paid articles are marked. There is no Call to action (no feature reveal and no running beta) and the timing would not be ideal.

well, it is interesting article, much better than one on bbc. however, i'd be very surprised if it had nothing to do with marketing the game. 

2 hours ago, fabioke said:

Exactly. He Is a volunteer researcher as well, not SI staff. Marketing would require a much stronger link.

Find it interesting that with just over a month to go until release we know next to nothing about it. Although I could give exact time frames (I suppose some will come and prove me wrong) it seems very late in the day to have had nothing of substance mentioned about the new version.

2 hours ago, jimbo22 said:

Find it interesting that with just over a month to go until release we know next to nothing about it. Although I could give exact time frames (I suppose some will come and prove me wrong) it seems very late in the day to have had nothing of substance mentioned about the new version.

Which is why I'm not going to bother preordering this year. Gonna have a look at gameplay footage, reviews and, more importantly, the mood in the forums first. Should the match engine turn out to be the same thing as in 16, a.k.a. Monkey Aerobics Simulator, I'll wait until January to see if things got better. Until then, I'm happy to downupgrade to FM13, because I like football.

4 hours ago, Blarry said:

Which is why I'm not going to bother preordering this year. Gonna have a look at gameplay footage, reviews and, more importantly, the mood in the forums first. Should the match engine turn out to be the same thing as in 16, a.k.a. Monkey Aerobics Simulator, I'll wait until January to see if things got better. Until then, I'm happy to downupgrade to FM13, because I like football.

So instead of taking advantage of the free demo, where you can make your own conclusions, you'd rather take the mood of a forum where you can 100% guarantee that the overriding tone will be negativity on release?  Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, DivineOne said:

Will we get more info before the end of the loyalty campaign? I've been buying the game for almost 20 years now, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to spend money on something I know nothing about.

You've been buying CM/FM for 20 years, and you don't think you know anything about how FM17 will be?

31 minutes ago, DivineOne said:

Exactly.  The only thing I know is that it will be a football manager game.

That's all you know? No clue whatsoever about anything else? Not even from the teaser vid.?

28 minutes ago, DivineOne said:

The teaser didn't show me anything, really.

Why do people think it's strange people want to know what's new before handing down money? 

No-one thinks that's strange.  It's the claiming you'll know absolutely nothing about it that is.  You don't know the final 10%, but it's farcical and disingenuous to suggest you know absolutely nothing.

Will we get more info before the pre-order discount offer ends? I don't know, and I haven't seen anybody from SI assertively saying either yes nor no, but my guess is that we'll get some more than what we've already gotten. Don't forget, that even though you don't think that the teaser video gave anything at all, other people actually found both new features and enhancements from it, so they (SI) have actually given more info than just the release date.

4 minutes ago, Maaka said:

and I haven't seen anybody from SI assertively saying either yes nor no,

That doesn't worry you?

Anyway, I've seen the data expert position that's new and then some ui changes (which were clearly needed because one guy in the comments section thought heat maps were a new feature). 

3 hours ago, DivineOne said:

Will we get more info before the end of the loyalty campaign? I've been buying the game for almost 20 years now, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to spend money on something I know nothing about.

21 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Will we get more info before the pre-order discount offer ends? I don't know, and I haven't seen anybody from SI assertively saying either yes nor no, but my guess is that we'll get some more than what we've already gotten. Don't forget, that even though you don't think that the teaser video gave anything at all, other people actually found both new features and enhancements from it, so they (SI) have actually given more info than just the release date.

This, really. We probably will get more info, but nothing has been officially said unless Miles posted it on Twitter and I missed it.

I'm sure we will get much more info before the Beta release though. Whether this info comes after the loyalty offer ends, we don't know or at least, I don't. Don't forget that Miles did say it is a loyalty offer - SI giving a discount as a thank you to those who pre-order the game every year, regardless. When they're ready to make more announcements, they will.

Just now, DivineOne said:

Pretty sure you didn't need to pre-order them.

Me, personally? No. Even if I did need to, I would still. I know what's in the game every year that keeps me coming back. Improved ME, manager AI and transfers/transfer AI.

Ok so, heres the deal

I've been playing and 'loyal' to the franchise since CM97, bought every single version since CM99 and i have been buying FM since FM07.

I do have 20% loyalty bonus for FM17 which is great but uh.. im not buying it. Not until i see a REAL new feature.

Im not talking about new lines to talk to media or better 3D graphics, i dont even see it while im playing, im old school so im still using 2D and commentaries.

This is going to be the first FM i dont buy in almost a decade, i really hope you guys from SI give us a REAL new feature on the game, like something to do with our wages. Really tired of buying it over and over again with theme/hud changes only, few more lines to talk to media/chairman.

If you wanna keep delivering us a squad updated FM every year with some make-up then hire someone from the community to do the job and charge us half the price. There is some nice guys doing it for free so..

1 hour ago, downloadkct said:

Ok so, heres the deal

I've been playing and 'loyal' to the franchise since CM97, bought every single version since CM99 and i have been buying FM since FM07.

I do have 20% loyalty bonus for FM17 which is great but uh.. im not buying it. Not until i see a REAL new feature.

Im not talking about new lines to talk to media or better 3D graphics, i dont even see it while im playing, im old school so im still using 2D and commentaries.

This is going to be the first FM i dont buy in almost a decade, i really hope you guys from SI give us a REAL new feature on the game, like something to do with our wages. Really tired of buying it over and over again with theme/hud changes only, few more lines to talk to media/chairman.

If you wanna keep delivering us a squad updated FM every year with some make-up then hire someone from the community to do the job and charge us half the price. There is some nice guys doing it for free so..

Interesting that you don't mention the match engine changes every year...

16 minutes ago, Alexivan said:

FM 13 / 14 / 15 / 16

The same (broken) engine for 4 editions. What match engine changes you want to be mentioned ?

So by your view, the Match Engine has been broken for 4 versions now.  And by broken, I assume you mean that it's completely unusable, because that's what broken means, right?

Given that, I'm really surprised that it didn't occur to you after, say, FM14, to think "maybe I should try and demo first rather than just buying the game again".  Seems a pretty sensible action to take, rather than buy 4 versions of a game you say is broken every time.  

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I totally get that some people want to wait before purchasing (i usually play the demo first). But I definitely draw the line at people making stuff up to try and get their point across.

Hasn't stopped Donald Trump :brock: 

Disclosure - I've pre-ordered the game because, well, it's FM.

BUT, I am very disappointed with the secret-squirrel approach to marketing the game this year. I always look forward to reading about the new features during the few weeks leading up to release. This year there's just been silence apart from that daft teaser video.

If it was any other game developer I'd suggest they were scared of "doing a No Mans Sky" and over-committing, but SI have never not delivered a feature they promised, so it can't be that.

Maybe they're trying out new things, in which case my advice would be; don't. Just do what you've done in previous years. People liked that. And giving customers what they like is a Good Thing.

Same here, I preordered because I'll buy it anyway (I know myself, by the time the beta rolls around I can't control myself), but I miss the hype leading up to the release. Perhaps it's coming but I feel I haven't seen the forums this dead a month before release (even if I'm mostly a reader, not a writer)

20 hours ago, jimbo22 said:

Find it interesting that with just over a month to go until release we know next to nothing about it. 

I'n sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. You can only say this if you've never played any FM before. Or stayed in a cave. The two are generally mutually inclusive...

54 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'n sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. You can only say this if you've never played any FM before. Or stayed in a cave. The two are generally mutually inclusive...

Its pretty obvious I was talking about the newer features. Its a surprise that we know nothing of the new features the game has. I've been on here long enough to know what the 'basics' of the game are but SI has never not mentioned the new features year on year. I'd be surprised if, this close to release, we've heard nothing about the next version.

But i've also been on here long enough to know the way some act when people post things.

On 27/09/2016 at 20:40, GSevensM75 said:

You're braver than me.  I purchased everyone of the original versions right up until CM03/04 (still my favourite interface).  I then took a break before purchasing FM09 and I've purchased every version since.

I almost didn't purchase FM16 because I thought FM15 was a broken product after the final patch.  But I caved because I needed my FM fix.  Only problem is FM16 was also a broken product after the final patch.

Which leaves me with a dilemma.  I want my FM fix but it's pointless going back to FM16.  But I am just not sure if I have it in me to waste more money on a product that may be flawed from release to end of life support (all in under 12 months!).

I'm not bothered about new features.  I just want the game fixed.  Especially with regards to lower league management, the fact you need so many coaches, the player ratings not reflecting what you can visually see when you watch the match etc.  Any new features I want are to break current flaws, like Assistant Managers following Managers to new clubs etc.  I'd also like SI to let us DB modders into what the non-player stats mean and ideally work out the CA for us like the editor does for the players or tell us what the relationship status actually does from a game mechanics perspective.  But these are things that should have been addressed versions ago so I am not holding much hope.

Ironically the more features they announce, the less likely I am to purchase the game.  For me fixing the flawed core game is far more important than add extra features.  Reminds me of my old mechanic who told me every time the car manufacturers add new features to their model all they are actually doing is adding more things to go wrong......

This is all so true. If this were a console game being released broken year after year people would just stop buying it.

SI could do themselves a favour by not teasing +1,000 new features upon each release of the game. *Change the font on the load screen, that's a new feature. Change the managers tie on the box, that's a new feature*. Just list 5-10 big new features rather than go on about 100's of new animations that are promised with each new FM release but I never see because I have to play mostly in 2D view despite having a rather good computer setup. There could be 999 improvements made to the 3D match engine but they should all be bundled up and counted as one = a working ME.

At midnight tonight, I'm officially not pre-ordering this game or any other games from other companies again.

I'm going back to my old ways, wait for the game release and read the reviews on the gaming sites and in here. Then make my decision.

The decision is simple. It is not against SI or FM, but games in general. Too many games have come out with a lot of bugs (FM has quite share of them), and I'm paying for product that isn't finish? Hum... i don't think so. Not to mention the schemes these gaming companies do to make the extra cash. Exclusive missions, exclusive weapons, exclusive skins and so on. I'm boycotting all that and FM unfortunately is smack on the middle of that.

I wish a lot gaming companies be like SI, really do. But from now on I'm buying the game for the quality of game mechanics, graphics and have good reviews from the press and costumers. No longer for me the exclusive contents will dictate what I should or should not buy. I'm sick and tired of empty promises and unknowns.

Bring it on the new features announcements and the beta release. Can't wait to read your reviews about FM17.

Just waiting for the demo, playing it and make your own decision would be probably the better option.

And it is just silly to think that a software release is finished "when there are no bugs". We are talking about a very complex simulation game with thousends of features. It's next to impossible to fix every bug before the release. Just because people are playing this game in various ways and on various setups. The main focus of every game company is to release a game without any game-breaking bugs. 

40 minutes ago, matt_forest said:

This is all so true. If this were a console game being released broken year after year people would just stop buying it.

SI could do themselves a favour by not teasing +1,000 new features upon each release of the game. *Change the font on the load screen, that's a new feature. Change the managers tie on the box, that's a new feature*. Just list 5-10 big new features rather than go on about 100's of new animations that are promised with each new FM release but I never see because I have to play mostly in 2D view despite having a rather good computer setup. There could be 999 improvements made to the 3D match engine but they should all be bundled up and counted as one = a working ME.

I'm not sure why you wouldnt want them to talk about addings laods of new animations, when a ) it's a legitimate point and b) it's something some people want focusing on.

If you have to play in 2d despite having a good setup, then either you need to be visiting the technical forums, or your set up isnt as good as you think.

Archived