Thread for the Champions of England - 2015/2016 season

el sid

Utterly stunned anyone thinks Hector is good enough for the top half of English top flight. I disagree about him not being as good as Mariappa, I think he's on a similar level, with potentially a higher ceiling. However, he's going to struggle to get game time this year at Reading I think, barring any injuries.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quite probably. We suddenly have lots of competition for places. Sa and Vydra surely both have to start, so we're gonna play 4-4-2 a lot, which means Piazon is basically one of six wingers competing for two places, even ignoring Fosu, Stacey, and Semedo.

If we do try the 4-2-3-1 we used in pre-season, Piazon's chances look better, but we've got a hell of a lot of central midfielders and several of them will want the AM spot. That also means Vydra on his own up front.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be wanting Piazon to get a loan like Bamford and start 35+ times, not 15+.

If we'd have got Brown in at the start of the window then he'd probably be looking at 30+ starts. Baker could have been very interesting. But now we've signed two central midfielders, two wingers, and two strikers, and it's hard to see how Piazon fits in with that.

Racist.

Zouma v Hector is the really scary comparison. Three years younger, French international, 30 appearances for Chelsea.

I am not too sure on Brown yet. He probably has a higher ceiling that Piazon but I think right now Piazon is better and I am not sure if Brown would make an immediate impact at Reading. He has the physical tools to make him stand out in the youth leagues etc but in the men's football where he is up against people of similar size and bigger, it is harder. He is not blessed with blistering pace as well and it seems us and Vitesse are moulding his natural position into a winger. Not too sure about him and I doubt he would of made that much starts tbh.

Oops. I meant buy back clause :lol:

Mou already got his bases covered in the event he needs to jump ship

http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2605879/papy-djilobodji-not-my-choice-chelsea-boss-jose-mourinho

This bit is fantastic, it's like he's playing FM.

"In my case, I trust because the same person who told me Djilobodji can be a good squad player was the same person who told me [Kurt] Zouma can be a fantastic player for us. Obviously, I trust him. Djilobodji is one of our four central defenders and hopefully useful for us."

Was the Matic goal our only shot on target? Think it was. Really amazingly bad.

No point really picking out individuals when everyone was terrible. Why are we so hesitant to have a shot at the right moments? And so ponderous in our build up play? So frustrating to watch.

Just fingers crossed for a top 4 finish I suppose.

It's going to take a lot of inward looking and trying to fix the problems within the squad for Chelsea to turn their season around, but sadly Jose isn't the person to do that and will probably walk within the next few games.

It's a funny old season when Crystal Palace look more like title contenders, even being seconds from a point (or even three) against Man City while Chelsea meander in 15th. Normally you'd expect it to be the other way around but now I expect the end of the season to be a race between Chelsea and Palace for 6th, like the Liverpool/Soton/Spurs race last season.

I am intrigued what Chelsea fans think as the cause of the problems. Is it a case of Mourinho's skill set being a bit flawed (i.e. brilliant when ahead, but poor having to chase)? Or do you think the post-season tour or poor pre-season affected the team? Did the incident with Eva Carneiro ripple much more than Jose anticipated?

It does look from the outside that Mourinho really didn't expect the latter situation to evolve like it did. But I'm surprised that what is essentially the same squad is performing so poorly in all areas.

I always know that at least when Arsenal go through poor form, that Wenger likes to give belief to his players, and keep their confidence up, which essentially pulls them out of problems the other side. I thought it was a bit suspect when Mourinho was criticising (accurately) the performances of some key players in his team - it felt like it was the wrong thing to do when they've had a poor start.

Genuinely interested by the way, not intending to seem like this is a troll post or anything.

Not a Chelsea fan but my opinion it's little more than player complacency after the league win last year - Mancini City, Moyes United, Pelegrini City, Mourinho Chelsea... it's an ongoing pattern . I don't think people (me included) expected it to happen under Mourinho though.

They've said all the right things with regards to that 'we're hungrier than ever' etc but it wouldn't overly surprise me, especially having not added any fresh blood into the first team. Hopefully Oscar's imminent return means Fabregas can take some time off, we batter the Israelis we're playing in the week and then we're back in the groove. Think a 0-0 Rosenborg 2007 repeat is just as likely though.

• Administrators

There are clear and identifiable problems (and have been for a while) that loads of people either don't see or choose to ignore, but I don't really have the inclination or passion to bother going into them right now. Didn't watch today, went to the 18s as usual again (they won :cool: ) but it was entirely predictable nonetheless. Even wrote this in preview somewhere else:

"Everton away is always a fiery match and it’ll be even more so with the early kickoff and the television cameras there, not to mention the strength of feeling over Stones. They’ve looked pretty good at times already whilst Chelsea haven’t and it’s not a ground the club has a great record at. It’s all lined up for another problematic day for Chelsea and an Everton win would not come as a surprise."

Well that was an improvement. First half was poor, we created nothing really short of the two penalties, but second half was a significant improvement. Yes, they were pushing forward so we had more space, but we used it well, had much better link up play, and Cesc was actually pulling some strings again.

Also, RLC, really good performance, more of that please :thup:

Big decision for the weekend has to be, which risky full back does Jose plump for? Baba looked quick and useful going forward last night, but out of position a few times defensively and against top opposition he could have been punished, or Ivanovic who has been a shadow of himself so far this season and has been targeted by teams with a lot of success.

Would love to see Baba get another chance, as well as Loftus Cheek but fully expecting Matic and Ivanovic to be back and stinking up the place. Think they both need a bit of a break, hopefully results and performances improve and they can both rotate back in when the pressure is off a bit.

I was chatting with my best man who is a Chelsea fan, he expects:

Begovic; Azpilicueta, Zouma, Terry, Rahman; Matic, Loftus-Cheek; Ramires, Fabregas, Hazard; Costa

He wants Oscar, but expects Ramires.

We'll be easy to predict though:

Cech; Bellerin, Gabriel, Koscielny, Monreal; Cazorla, Coquelin; Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis; Walcott

Was a bit up in the air over Gabriel or Mertesacker, but looks like Mertesacker starts on the bench as he hasn't trained much. None of the shower of ***** who played in midweek will force their way in. Don't see Wenger selecting an out of form Giroud after a petulant red card, when his competition (Walcott) scored a goal and made us play better, and would be useful on the break.

Best case would be Oscar right, Fabregas CAM with Matic and RLC in midfield, Azpi and Baba as full backs.

We all know it's going to be Ramires right, Oscar CAM with Fabregas and Matic in midfield, Azpi and Ivan as full backs.

yeah, basically this. Ivanovic definitely back in, I think there's a slight chance it could be RLC, but really doubt it.

It would be very odd to see you play Rahman or RLC tomorrow. Whilst we haven't clicked in terms of cohesive performances going forwards we have still created quite a lot. Fully expect you to be very conservative and to let us have the ball so you can break on us which you will. Leading to a 1-0 win for you or a draw

Archived