Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching the match.

Smalling was excellent today, and definitely MOTM. Darmian ran him a close second and looked brilliant, a welcome change from Valencia, so hopefully it isn't a case of overperforming on his first showing. Romero looks ropey with the ball at his feet, but other than that he did everything superbly. Schneiderlin had a solid game, did what was needed without doing anything spectacular - a bit like Carrick has been doing for so long. Depay did well, again nothing special but didn't disgrace himself.

Overall performance though was no more inspiring than anything we saw last season, but for the first game you'd hope that would mean that when we really settle in to things we'll be looking very dangerous indeed. Still hard to watch us defend, though. Didn't really threaten to score that much, truth be told, and were handed our goal after Rooney dawdled on the ball.

Good start to the season results wise, to get all 3 points over one of the bigger teams in the league early on is very good.

On another note, good to see BT have made their viewing even ******* by adding Glenn Hoddle to their team, which already has the awful, boring Michael Owen, a man who has literally no charisma. Also, Howard Webb chiming in on referee decisions. Terrible stuff.

Very good win today, result/s more important than the performance/s in the first few games of the season.

Smalling my MOTM with Darmian a close second. Looking to be a very astute signing is the Italian. Wanted Johnstone to start in goal but Romero had a very good game, he did look quite nervous early on and made a couple of bad kicks etc but settled down and made some very good saves.

Rooney really shouldn't have to take a touch in that position, very nearly cost us scoring.

Got a nice two point cushion over Chelsea already! :thup:

the fact that romero, darmian and smalling were our best players at home is a little "worrying", but we found the result as usual. i really think people need to come to terms with van gaal's ideas and stop expecting anything other than an efficient, controlled, relatively low risk type of approach. it's not pretty and it never will be – but it works. obviously i'd rather we played more open, attacking football, but it's just not going to happen.

there's no doubt we need cut out some of these defensive mistakes and get a real leader back there, but we have a solid base for now and a decent defensive record to build on anyway. i expect rojo to come back in alongside smalling which will help, and darmian looks a real good defender (and attacker actually). i hope valencia never plays there again. plus with shaw looking fit i think we'll be fine (until the inevitable injuries hit). we still lack real pace and incision going forward, the exact thing di maria the coward was supposed to bring, so hopefully pedro signs sooner rather than later. mata is mata and memphis will continue to grow into his role, so we've got a decent attacking blueprint in theory. rooney is still dreadful of course, but there's no point complaining about him anymore since he's a somehow found himself captain and eternal guaranteed starter, and he'll hit a nice purple patch of goals at some point. he'll score some penalties. people will chant his name. also interesting that hernandez was the striker on the bench – i think, for some reason i can't really explain, that he could be really useful if given a chance, and i've hardly been his biggest fan over the years. certainly a better option than wilson at this point i feel.

and i hope we can get de gea sorted out asap as well, we need to move on and stop messing about. or, more accurately, real madrid need to stop messing about and pay what we're asking. he clearly has no future at the club and doesn't want to be here, so we can say goodbye and figure out the goalkeeping situation for the future. romero is very good and i have confidence in him, but realistically we'll need another senior keeper if de gea and valdes are going. top choice would be lloris but that seems unlikely. i guess we'll end up with cillessen who seems like a good option, but ultimately he's not as good as someone like lloris and i have no idea how he really compares to romero.

i really think people need to come to terms with van gaal's ideas and stop expecting anything other than an efficient, controlled, relatively low risk type of approach. it's not pretty and it never will be – but it works. obviously i'd rather we played more open, attacking football, but it's just not going to happen.
First time in premiership that we've fielded a team to start the season without a player who has come through the Utd system. Sad times.

This will be LvG's commitment to attacking football and youth development championed on his arrival.

I felt the tactics were off in that game. It looked like we played a 4231 with a lot of wing play and that left a big hole in the middle leaving Rooney isolated and Schneiderlin and Carrick not getting in on the attacking action. We only looked dangerous due to Depay's workrate and when Mata cut in. Things got better when Schweinsteiger came on as he took a more central role and it allowed us to attack on the flanks and down the middle, spreading Tottenham's defence out and allowing us to move the ball across the whole of the front. At that point we looked like Man Utd of old for about 5-10 mins.

Perhaps it was LvG being too cautious. We didn't need 2 DM's when Carrick was fit last season so I don't think we do now. If LvG learns by yesterday then we have a good chance to do well this season, provided injuries don't cripple our defence.

the fact that romero, darmian and smalling were our best players at home is a little "worrying", but we found the result as usual. i really think people need to come to terms with van gaal's ideas and stop expecting anything other than an efficient, controlled, relatively low risk type of approach. it's not pretty and it never will be – but it works. obviously i'd rather we played more open, attacking football, but it's just not going to happen.

Came across this article yesterday. Few months old now, but interesting nonetheless: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/12/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-philosophy

First time in premiership that we've fielded a team to start the season without a player who has come through the Utd system. Sad times.

Sad times indeed. But in honesty that unreal run we had was bound to come to an end considering the relatively lower quality of players that have come through the last decade or so.

Sad times indeed. But in honesty that unreal run we had was bound to come to an end considering the relatively lower quality of players that have come through the last decade or so.

Pogba. However they made a very poor judgement and got rid. It's not about how many to produce but if you do produce, don't get rid.

Also if Ravel had a head to go along with those talented feet, he would've been great. But if Allardyce, a guy who once managed nutcases like El Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka, can't be bothered by him, then there was no helping him really.

Speaking of youth football, if we get back into the Champions League group stages, I think we get automatically put into the UEFA Youth League, so that will be fun to watch once again, I wonder if Butt will be put in charge of that team as he was the last time that we were involved in it?

Seem to recall reading it wasn't, but I could be wrong.

Think we'd all prefer to have Academy players with the quality of Giggs, Beckham or Neville in the starting lineup ahead of Blackett on the bench, though ;)

I do have some hope for the players coming through, but as always it's impossible to be sure.

Looked like friendly for most of that half. Players on both teams not sharp enough, with poor passes and easy ball losses. Glad Walker went from having Young in his back pocket to bringing OG back in play, though. OG IS BACK, GUYS! :lol:

Really like Darmian so far, looks pure quality. Solid defensively and good going forward with a nice cross on him :thup:

Think we will need OG back up high on the scoring charts this season

Romero really does not give me confidence. Sure he's capable of the occasional world class save as he's shown for AZ and Argentina, but he is soooo bad on the ball and prone to make an error any given moment. We have Valdes, De Gea, and Lindegaard sitting in the stands FFS.

I thought he looked comfortable of the ball but the way he parries saves into danger worries me

Saying this as a Dutchman: Van Gaal usually falls back into a routine of signing too many mediocre Dutch players when he works outside of the Netherlands. It looks as if he's restraining himself from that so far. Although it remains to be seen whether Blind and Depay (and maybe Cillessen in the future?) will be good enough for United of course.

Archived