biggest falls from grace and biggest rise from nowhere

What teams have hit serious bad times in your game previously in the prem or championship but now in non-league? and the opposite which conference teams have now risen to the championship or higher

please don't say your own teams

for me in 2027/28 i have Bolton in Northern conference, Aston villa in league 2 and Middlesbrough in the Conference

I have Harrogate Town in the Championship and Wycombe in the Premier League

Strangely enough I was just looking at this last night. I'm not playing in England but I have all the divisions loaded and I noticed that Bolton had just been promoted into League 2 as Conference Champions and Stoke City are considered as being one of the giants of the English game! I'm in the season 2020/21, so I guess Bolton's financial issues have spiralled. Stoke were taken over by a tycoon and have had a season in the Champions League too!

Aston Villa went into League 2 in my long-running FM12 save. They were near relegation too. It was the 2030's and I'd won everything at Arsenal for a number of years in a row so I thought it'd be fun to watch Aston Villa save themselves. So I gave them a decent bank balance to help clear their debts and edited their young English managers stats (I improved his use of subs, ability to buy players etc.) and watched as they climbed back into the Championship, it was very fun checking on their results every now and then :)

Strangely enough I was just looking at this last night. I'm not playing in England but I have all the divisions loaded and I noticed that Bolton had just been promoted into League 2 as Conference Champions and Stoke City are considered as being one of the giants of the English game! I'm in the season 2020/21, so I guess Bolton's financial issues have spiralled. Stoke were taken over by a tycoon and have had a season in the Champions League too!

yeah in about 2020/21 Bolton offered me a job but i looked at their finances and they were in deep trouble and in midtable in league 1 then, i declined and so did they :D

Managing in England for the first time in 2022/23 and found Leicester & Crystal Palace to be major forces in the Premiership.

On the flipside Stoke are struggling in the Championship while Cardiff have just been relegated to League 1.

Haven't looked any deeper to see if there were other surprises.

I got to about 2021and Bolton were struggling in Conference North...Only survived relegation by a couple of points.

seems like Bolton are doomed on FM, they are in Conference North on my season and in relegation zone, they missed relegation from it by 1 point last season but this season they are 12 points from getting out of the drop zone, RIP Bolton

Bolton are terrible in my game as well. I'm in 2022, and they have just been promoted from Conference North to Conference Premier.

At the other end of the scale, Huddersfield have been bought by some rich tycoon, and are competing for silverware in the Premiership.

Bolton are bottom of the 2020-2021 League One table as of April in my game. I wonder why they're having this issue across everyone's games.

financial problems is my guess

it's no secret that in real life Bolton are terribly ran and are in huge amounts of debts

I'm in January 2019 and Bolton are drowning at the bottom of the Championship. Their club value is $0 with a debt of $129M. They have only two players worth more than 800k and most players are worth less than 100k.

They just hired Nigel Atkins today, actually. If I wasn't enjoying my current team so much, I would definitely try to take them over and build them back up.

No real surprise inclusions in the Premiership apart from myself winning the league with St Neots Town, although Shrewsbury have just been relegated & West Brom are regulars in Europe. Chelsea randomly were relegated to the Championship a few seasons back before showing predictable bouncebackability to get promoted back at the first attempt. Plymouth in League One have just been taken over by a tycoon, but that couldnt stop Newcastle from becoming champions. Stoke are in the Conference Premier & lost a tense playoff final to..er...Hednesford of all teams.

Bolton are a yo-yo team between the Premier League and Championship on my Forest save and are in the conference on my Spurs save, bizarre what happens to them on each save though.

On my Spurs save Burnley and Sunderland had spells in League One but managed to recover, Burnley challenging for promotion back to the Premier League and Sunderland in mid table. Villa could be heading down to League One though as they're currently 23rd in Championship.

On FM14, I did a watcher game where Vitesse won the Eredivisie 4 straight years. Couldn't really see a reason - they didn't have outstanding players by Eredivisie standards, no sugar daddy. Just solid players and a good manager. First time I paid any attention to the club, to be honest.

Also on FM14, playing as Vitesse, Swansea won the Prem in the first season. That one seemed a bit... odd.

Current Vitesse save on FM15, Chelsea lost their first three Prem matches in the first season. Not even bigger opponents. Minor but just noticed and it jumped out at me.

Stoke are currently 8th in the Premier League in real life. This is hardly a rise from nowhere to the Champions League.

In 2030 for me Liverpool and Chelsea are yo-yo clubs and have both dipped into League 1 but are not back in the EPL but not one of the big players.

Coventry City are in the Conference North. No debt but they actually went down into non playable leagues and have just reappeared. They still have a decent size stadium so I'm kind of tempted!

Oh and Solihull Moors are in the Championship with Jan Vertonghen as manager. I love FM sometimes

Whilst this isn't a club, I've a player who has risen from nowhere.

Several seasons ago he was on loan at Bournemouth - who were in the Conference. His actual club Portsmouth were in League 1 when I purchased him for £5.75m.

He's now looking likely to complete a £26.5m move to Chelsea.

Nothing major for me (2034)- had Bolton/West Brom/Aston Villa all go down to League 2 as well as Birmingham but as my feeder team I got them back to stable Championship :) Preston went to the conference for a year, teams like Brentford have done well in the Prem then gone back to yo-yo club. Lincoln had a tycoon, gained 2 sweeping successive promotions, top of the championship the fell off after Christmas, about to be relegated back to League 1.

As for the big teams, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham had gradual drop-offs to lower mid-table but are now all back, Everton about to go down bottom and Tottenham, even with a tycoon, are lower prem.

Man Utd and Man City are just ridiculous...

I'm in December of the 2022/23 season, the only major climber has been York establishing themselves as a mid-table Championship team (along with Bolton), but a few major drops. Crystal Palace are in the relegation places of League 1, Millwall, Blackpool and Wigan (fighting relegation) are in League 2, Yeovil and Doncaster (bottom!) in the Conference, Dagenham bottom half Conference South and Kidderminster non-playable are probably the others dropping lower than expecte.

They are doing well IRL. No dis-respect to Stoke, but it just interested me to see them being talked about in the same terms as Man Utd/Arsenal etc when they've had no notable success IRL. It reminded me a lot of the way Blackburn rose to the top under Jack Walker.

On my long term Dortmund save Chelsea were relegated to League One and in administration in 2030 (still had at least one player on £200,000 per week wages). Bournemouth had been top 4 Prem team for the past 8 seasons.

On my current save, managing Dulwich Hamlet, got drawn against Conference Team Blackpool in the FA Trophy after 3 seasons. Then played League 2 teams Leeds Utd and Wolves in the FA Cup.

In my long-term CM 93/94 game, every season a big club gets relegated into the non-league.

Stoke recently won the title, with Pulis in charge. Remember, this is 1993 Stoke and also Pulis was NOT in charge at the start of the game.

On my FM15 save, Hull City have kind of done both...

First season they came third, missing out on the title on the final day. Then the next season, they flopped in the CL and just got relegated. They went back up via the playoffs but had a dismal season after picking up 20 points on their way down and they are now fighting relegation from the Championship.

They're financially screwed.

GARTSIDE OUT!!! until bolton get rid of their current chairman we will be constantly in a financial crisis. The only time they have performed well on the game is when ive taken control of them, other than that always hovering between League 1 and Conference North

In my long-term CM 93/94 game, every season a big club gets relegated into the non-league.

Stoke recently won the title, with Pulis in charge. Remember, this is 1993 Stoke and also Pulis was NOT in charge at the start of the game.

On my CM 03/04 game I am in 2040 and every big club in England have suffered at least one relegation, in fact the only team originally in the top flight at the start of the game yet to suffer the dreaded drop are Newcastle. Arsenal are currently a mid-table championship outfit whilst Liverpool and Manchester United are both hovering around the relegation zone.

Nothing quite so dramatic has happened abroad. AC Milan were relegated in 2015 but were only down for a season and have been ever presents in Serie A for the last 25 years.

On my long term Dortmund save Chelsea were relegated to League One and in administration in 2030 (still had at least one player on £200,000 per week wages). Bournemouth had been top 4 Prem team for the past 8 seasons.

On my current save, managing Dulwich Hamlet, got drawn against Conference Team Blackpool in the FA Trophy after 3 seasons. Then played League 2 teams Leeds Utd and Wolves in the FA Cup.

Any chance we can get an upload of the chelsea save? :-)

Archived