Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why shouldn't it happen? You're what, 8 seasons into the game?

Should Manchester United winning 30 of their first 35 games while conceding only 12 goals all season happen?

Actually what I find most interesting about that league table is that, Wigan and Leeds aside, it's all the same teams still there from this season.

Thinly veiled bragging post IMO :p

Whatever you think :p

Manchester United have won that many because I made them win.

In 7 seasons , Liverpool who have a decent team now should be able to preserve some of that atleast. They havent been takenover as far as I know , so the same management is still there.

I'm sure no one though Leeds would drop two divisions after being title winners in the 90s and CL semi-finalists in the 00s. I'm sure no one thought Blackburn would fall away after their title like they did.

Granted neither club is as big as Liverpool but you're 7-8 years into your save. Anything could happen.

Liverpool on mine on 2 saves with United, have been nearly Relegated in season 1.

on my current save, they finished mid table in season 2, and have just sold Suarez to city.

and other oddites, Wolves got promoted to premier league, Crewe to the championship, Blackpool finished mid table in League 1. stoke finished 6th in the premier league and Spurs got to the champions league semis.

I dont agree to be honest, the ME engine on fm12 was pretty good, but fm14 was released in 30th October which is about 10 weeks ago now, would it not of made sense to release the game with the option of going back to an old version of the match engine? It seems that people only had an issue since it was last updated.

I am not sure what you mean exactly by "these things have always happened in FM/CM" what things? My suggestion of being able to go back to an older version of the ME would solve this problem I think.

No, absolutely not, because then they would have to support at least two MEs simultaneously. So it would make absolutely no sense from their perspective.

And from "these things have always happened in FM/CM", I mean that something changing in the ME has always affected other parts. Always has and always will. And of course your "solution" wouldn't solve it, for the reason stated, and the fact that that previous ME is 99% certain to have some other defect in it. Because, you know, they've just updated it to fix something?

I don't seem to have a big own goal problem, definitely a problem in the way they're conceded though, so bizarre.

The main problem I see is the keeper beaten almost every single time at the near post or goals from corners (27 against, 13 for).

No, absolutely not, because then they would have to support at least two MEs simultaneously. So it would make absolutely no sense from their perspective.

And from "these things have always happened in FM/CM", I mean that something changing in the ME has always affected other parts. Always has and always will. And of course your "solution" wouldn't solve it, for the reason stated, and the fact that that previous ME is 99% certain to have some other defect in it. Because, you know, they've just updated it to fix something?

I guess that's the thing, right there in bold. What a user finds 'suitable' and 'acceptable' is subjective. I personally know there are bugs in FM07 and FM12 but they were my favourite ME's. Not everyone will agree, I know that. The trouble for SI is, finding the right match for hundreds of thousands of users. Some can accept this version, some can't, some will still be playing FM13 and some can't stand it.

As has been said, there will always be bugs, but what type of bugs each individual user is willing to accept is the key. If only SI had a workforce of around 2,000,000. Maybe they would be able to satisfy everyone.

My solution is simple. If I don't like the version of FM for the year, I go back to the old one. It's only £30-£35 per year for what could give me hundreds of hours of pleasure. As I buy the game every year without fail, yet I only change permanently once every 2-4 years, that probably works out at (average) £100 for FM12. I have racked up over 3000 hours on FM 12 for what probably equates to £100. Am I happy, yeah I reckon so. :D

I guess that's the thing, right there in bold. What a user finds 'suitable' and 'acceptable' is subjective. I personally know there are bugs in FM07 and FM12 but they were my favourite ME's. Not everyone will agree, I know that. The trouble for SI is, finding the right match for hundreds of thousands of users. Some can accept this version, some can't, some will still be playing FM13 and some can't stand it.

As has been said, there will always be bugs, but what type of bugs each individual user is willing to accept is the key. If only SI had a workforce of around 2,000,000. Maybe they would be able to satisfy everyone.

My solution is simple. If I don't like the version of FM for the year, I go back to the old one. It's only £30-£35 per year for what could give me hundreds of hours of pleasure. As I buy the game every year without fail, yet I only change permanantly once every 2-4 years, that probably works out at (average) £100 for FM12. I have racked up over 3000 hours on FM 12 for what probably equates to £100. Am I happy, yeah I reckon so. :D

I am the exact same way! I buy the new game every season regardless of whether or not I play it because it supports the guys who have given my thousands of hours of game, which nothing else has come close to. It is unspeakably true how subjective opinions are in these games for what one finds enjoyable, and for the record, no amount of employees could ever result in any one game appeasing everyone, ever, it is not possible to do.

My solution is simple. If I don't like the version of FM for the year, I go back to the old one. It's only £30-£35 per year for what could give me hundreds of hours of pleasure. As I buy the game every year without fail, yet I only change permanantly once every 2-4 years, that probably works out at (average) £100 for FM12. I have racked up over 3000 hours on FM 12 for what probably equates to £100. Am I happy, yeah I reckon so. :D

Why pay that amount of money for the games, FM12/13/14 are stored in your steam account, just re activate whatever game yo want to play, whenever you want to play it. My laptop isn't good enough to hold multiple games, so if I want to go back to FM12, I have to uninstall 14 1st, then just re install FM12 from steam.

They are doing, aren't they?

I don't know. The last I saw was:

Quick update.

Firstly as ever thanks to all those who have provided constructive criticism, as this is invaluable to us and appreciated.

There will be another ME update, probably with 14.3 when the data is updated. So far we have worked on the following:

- Goalie errors. We have identified a few that lingered around and will hope to get any remaining ones zapped for this cycle.

- Headed clearances. We identified issues with trajectory and direction and the fixes are now in test. Affects no of goals just after corners and also own goal count.

- Corners. We are still working on this. Main issue now is there are slightly too many of them at top levels.

- Ball physics. No changes planned for this cycle. There are definitely further improvements to be made but we believe it's in a decent state overall for the time being.

- General. We want to improve the individual play of the very best players slightly and this is a work in progress right now.

There are other bits and pieces too of course.

Cheers,

Paul

I see there's a goalkeeper change. Nothing about first touch and shoddy ball control. In any case, that update is a few months away isn't it?

I don't know. The last I saw was:

I see there's a goalkeeper change. Nothing about first touch and shoddy ball control. In any case, that update is a few months away isn't it?

There are other bits and pieces too of course.

There's no telling what is going to be in the update. The ones Paul mentions are probably the big parts, but are by no means limited to them. I'd expect the update to drop in mid-to-late March. Last year I'm sure they waited until all the transfer windows had shut (cue moans of "who caaaaares about Russia?!") before they lock the data. Then test the data, then release once all is good.

Why pay that amount of money for the games, FM12/13/14 are stored in your steam account, just re activate whatever game yo want to play, whenever you want to play it. My laptop isn't good enough to hold multiple games, so if I want to go back to FM12, I have to uninstall 14 1st, then just re install FM12 from steam.

I don't think you understood what I am saying. I said...

'...It's only £30-£35 per year for what could give me hundreds of hours of pleasure. As I buy the game every year without fail, yet I only change permanently once every 2-4 years, that probably works out at (average) £100 for FM12....'

Because I pay £30-£35 each year and sometimes don't play the game and thus get no benefit from it, I see it as paying more for the version which has given me lots of pleasure. I don't mind paying what averages out to be £100 (because I choose not to play the others) for a game which gives me hours of fun.

This is of course my theory and take on everything, not what SI are saying.

I don't think you understood what I am saying. I said...

'...It's only £30-£35 per year for what could give me hundreds of hours of pleasure. As I buy the game every year without fail, yet I only change permanently once every 2-4 years, that probably works out at (average) £100 for FM12....'

Because I pay £30-£35 each year and sometimes don't play the game and thus get no benefit from it, I see it as paying more for the version which has given me lots of pleasure. I don't mind paying what averages out to be £100 (because I choose not to play the others) for a game which gives me hours of fun.

This is of course my theory and take on everything, not what SI are saying.

I totally relate to what you are saying, what's another £30-£35 ($50 for me) to mess around with the new version, it could be the one you decide to play, and if not, you look at the thousands of hours and can feel satisfied in knowing you are getting your money's worth no matter what. Really, when we average it out, it's staggering. On just the versions I have on Steam I have a combined 3000+ hours of football manager and this is not taking into account the versions previous to 2009 that were not on Steam... I feel good about the investment, it's like .10 an hour! Hard to get better entertainment value than that.

I was watching a full match and completely dominating in every respect. I made a substitution and then wanted to change the roles at the back but the game wouldn't let me access the tactics menu until the opposition scored a goal. The menu was just blanked out. I had to wait over two minutes. Why did this happen? I hope this is a bug because it's quite unfair if not. There were no pending changes either, the engine just decided to deny me access to the tactics menu.

I totally relate to what you are saying, what's another £30-£35 ($50 for me) to mess around with the new version, it could be the one you decide to play, and if not, you look at the thousands of hours and can feel satisfied in knowing you are getting your money's worth no matter what. Really, when we average it out, it's staggering. On just the versions I have on Steam I have a combined 3000+ hours of football manager and this is not taking into account the versions previous to 2009 that were not on Steam... I feel good about the investment, it's like .10 an hour! Hard to get better entertainment value than that.

Exactly, FM12, 3 pence an hour. Roll up, Roll up!

i didn't find out where to post my question :confused:

why the potential of some players goes down ?

For one thing, it's relative to the rest of your squad. As you get better players in, the relative potential of others goes down. Also, some players will never realise their potential. A youngster with 5 stars may in fact never fulfill his full potential. Look at Freddy Adu.

Poor to have to wait that long in my opinion, given some of the issues feel rather 'game braking' (Corners, Goalie Errors and Headed Clearances in particular for me).

For one thing, it's relative to the rest of your squad. As you get better players in, the relative potential of others goes down. Also, some players will never realise their potential. A youngster with 5 stars may in fact never fulfill his full potential. Look at Freddy Adu.

that make sense .:thup:

This old chestnut...

There is absolutely nothing in this. Nothing.

I've actually noticed this across a few saves, and although I firmly believe it's just selective memory, I did ask if there was a hidden 'momentum' stat for a team that was maybe bugged in that it resets itself when you switch it off, and I never got an answer. The silence was probably answer enough :lol:

Refs are far too lenient in this game. Same player commits foul after foul and no yellow. No yellows for cynically bringing down players on the break. Tackling is completely overpowered to the extent that strikers are invariably successful in any tackles. Tackling success rates frequently exceed 70% and 80%. The highest in the Premier league matches this weekend was 62% and the average was less than 50%. The match engine is not simulating tackling in a realistic fashion.

Has anyone noticed one of their centre backs and their nearest fullback switching places whenever the opposition goalkeeper has the ball? The ball always goes to the centre back who switched places, as if they know the ball is going down there before its even played. Rather odd.

Edit: Another thing, why do my players like to stand offside sometimes at freekicks and not bother to get back onside? I keep seeing them just stand 5 yards offside and putting in absolutely no effort to get back onside.

I didnt think it would be practical to be able to use an old ME just wondered if that would be a work around of some kind. What i meant by the last ME, by the time of the last update for fm12, it was in pretty good nick, so the state of the final update was the one I meant

Well you could use Retain possession but that will see them playing a lot of sideways passes and knocking it back to the defence.

but retain possession doesn't decrease time wasting...increases time wasting, my players will hold the ball much more. I need the opposite, I need them not to waste time (higher / more offensive mentality / strategy) but with less risky options (lower / more defensive mentality / strategy)

I know I read your original post that's why I suggested Work ball into box which stops them shooting from range and hitting long hopeful passes and speculative crosses but you weren't having it.

sorry about that. I was reading the online manual and as for Work Ball into Box it only mentions the shooting

your players will be less liklely to shoot when they believe there is a chance, preferring to wait...

ok, they will more patiente, but what about time wasting ?

sorry about that. I was reading the online manual and as for Work Ball into Box it only mentions the shooting

your players will be less liklely to shoot when they believe there is a chance, preferring to wait...

ok, they will more patiente, but what about time wasting ?

They're the same thing...

Waiting for the right option IS time wasting.

I've finally had enough. This is the first FM in years where after January I've felt the game is still unplayable and littered with bugs.

I've built a very good Southampton side and recently just signed the golden boot winner for £48million from the past three seasons who scored 34, 31 and 38 goals for Liverpool in those seasons. My tactic always got the best out of my strikers, he joins and goes on a 14 game goalless streak, finishing his first season with 8 goals. Half way through his second season and he's scored 4. He's getting shifted.

I finished 5th last season and two of my main players requested a transfer as they want to play Champions League football. Fair enough request, I reassured them that we'd qualify this year. Both players come November ask for a transfer again as I "failed to keep my promise." We're sitting 2nd for God's sake. In November.

Then the Scotland job becomes available and I declare my interest in the job, only for the board to demand an explanation as to why I'm flirting with "inferior clubs" as they put it.

That's without mentioning the regens. Dear God the regens. Even if I was to continue with this abortion of a save, it will likely end within 5 or 6 years due to the fact that the quality of regens entering the game are atrocious. Think James Milner level stats at the beginning of a save, that regen would command a fee of around £40million in my save.

Archived