Do you think the transfer fees and contract demands need toning down?

Just two questions, I'm Arsenal and in season 3.

The contracts every standard of player wants are totally over the top. Avg players want 100K plus 20K apperance fees etc with agents wanting silly money. I know in real life the wages are stupid but the games seems to be the same and double.....??

Example 2 is Will Hughes from Derby (fair enough hes a rising star) but does he really expect 90K plus 20K apperance, 7 mill loyalty bonus and agent wants 4Mill? (This from his 7K derby contract)

I think it just needs adjusting/toning down slightly (esp for the AVG player

Also, the ammount of money the clubs want to negociate for their players also I think needs looking at, I'm being quoted 100 Million for nearly every player (Alba, Hamsik, Witsel) and 50 mill for the likes of Varane from Real.

I know the argument that clubs do not want to lose their players but these figures are stupid money.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last time i was shocked on the contract demands, when i (once again) tried to sign a argentinien 15 year old, in his history he never had accounted appearances, but my scouts all were convinced that hes 5 star guy

so i bid for him, got accepted, his current contract was 40€/week or 90 or something, he started negotiating with me at 5600€/week...he was probably second place behind justin bieber of best earning 15 years old in the world :D?

Transfer fees, no - Generally you get what you pay for with the odd overcharge/bargain here and there.

Wages, oh dear God yes - Even the most average of back-ups demanding a first team wage both when buying and renewing. It's been a game-breaker for me.

I'm not saying my lack of problem means there isn't an issue, but I have never suffered.

Some people want a lot of money, but I have found that in these situations they have either, a) later reduced their demands, b) been way out of my league anyway or c) been negotiated down by release clauses and bonuses etc.

I think the issue only arises when you are a big club, either that or people have unrealistic expectations.

For example agents, some agents want loads of money. But only the ones who have the high scores for the "wants lots of money" attribute. Which is only some of them. Which sounds exactly realistic to me.

I'm not saying my lack of problem means there isn't an issue, but I have never suffered.

Some people want a lot of money, but I have found that in these situations they have either, a) later reduced their demands, b) been way out of my league anyway or c) been negotiated down by release clauses and bonuses etc.

I think the issue only arises when you are a big club, either that or people have unrealistic expectations.

For example agents, some agents want loads of money. But only the ones who have the high scores for the "wants lots of money" attribute. Which is only some of them. Which sounds exactly realistic to me.

I don't think you quite understand the issues with wages. They are twofold.

Scenario 1: You have a player coming up for contract renewal. He earns a modest £30,000-a-week. He demands you pay him £100,000-a-week. This guy might not be a regular. He could be a good player, but not worth the amount he is demanding. You cannot afford to pay him this, his contract runs down and he ends up leaving for closer to the £50,000-a-week mark. This is an issue.

Scenario 2: You unearth a 15 year old newgen. He hasn't yet made his debut for his current club. Perhaps just a handful of youth games, but he is highly rated by your scout. You have an offer accepted, however, the player demands £5,000-a-week up from his £90-a-week current youth contract. You cannot pay this due to board restrictions or you refuse to on the basis that he is only 15. He then signs professional terms with his current club for £200-a-week.

These two scenarios are not uncommon or exaggerated. A lot of people are experiencing them. These are the wage issues we speak of.

Scenario 1: You have a player coming up for contract renewal. He earns a modest £30,000-a-week. He demands you pay him £100,000-a-week. This guy might not be a regular. He could be a good player, but not worth the amount he is demanding. You cannot afford to pay him this, his contract runs down and he ends up leaving for closer to the £50,000-a-week mark. This is an issue.

Scenario 2: You unearth a 15 year old newgen. He hasn't yet made his debut for his current club. Perhaps just a handful of youth games, but he is highly rated by your scout. You have an offer accepted, however, the player demands £5,000-a-week up from his £90-a-week current youth contract. You cannot pay this due to board restrictions or you refuse to on the basis that he is only 15. He then signs professional terms with his current club for £200-a-week.

These two scenarios are not uncommon or exaggerated. A lot of people are experiencing them. These are the wage issues we speak of.

Nail on the head post.

Exactly the issues which have affected so many peoples continued enjoyment of the game.

I think the issue only arises when you are a big club.

I agreee that the fact players have such wildly different requests from human and AI managers is a problem, and really needs fixing.

I think the rest of it doesn't sound bad, and is only exagerrated to people by the extremely aggravating factor which is the inconsistent demands.

This has been happening for years and years remember in my lewes save 4 years ago eddie johnson turned down 20,000 from me then realesed from his club and moves to espanyol (i think) for 12,000 and a couple of years ago you used to had to pay at least 50% of what ai pays

its not a big team issue though, the 15 year old argentinan wanted 5600€/weekly from my polish club, where i didnt even won the league yet, only finishing top 5 every year looking for better players

needless to say my wage budget was around 60k, so i didnt sign him obviously

its not a big team issue though, the 15 year old argentinan wanted 5600€/weekly from my polish club, where i didnt even won the league yet, only finishing top 5 every year looking for better players

needless to say my wage budget was around 60k, so i didnt sign him obviously

In that scenario, my understanding is that he wanted that much money because he didn't really want to move to Poland.

If someone like Charlton had come in for him he would be more interested, and demand less.

Leagues and nations have different reps, and players want to move to higher rep places. Championship probably higher than Polish League

Above that, and the reason I use Charlton as an example, is cities have attractiveness ratings, with London being 20. He will be desperate to move to London, and not some Polish town.

I'm pretty sure that such factors come into his consideration in this regard. (I also used Charlton as the London example instead of Arsenal, as he might demand more from rich Arsenal, though apparently SI say that isnt necessarily the case).

I would play for a premier league team for free (if they would let me), I would want decent money to go play somewhere I don't actually want to live.

This has been happening for years and years remember in my lewes save 4 years ago eddie johnson turned down 20,000 from me then realesed from his club and moves to espanyol (i think) for 12,000 and a couple of years ago you used to had to pay at least 50% of what ai pays

Small world. I lived in Lewes for 18 years.

In that scenario, my understanding is that he wanted that much money because he didn't really want to move to Poland.

If someone like Charlton had come in for him he would be more interested, and demand less.

Leagues and nations have different reps, and players want to move to higher rep places. Championship probably higher than Polish League

Above that, and the reason I use Charlton as an example, is cities have attractiveness ratings, with London being 20. He will be desperate to move to London, and not some Polish town.

I'm pretty sure that such factors come into his consideration in this regard. (I also used Charlton as the London example instead of Arsenal, as he might demand more from rich Arsenal, though apparently SI say that isnt necessarily the case).

I would play for a premier league team for free (if they would let me), I would want decent money to go play somewhere I don't actually want to live.

in any case, if this game wants to be as realistic as possible you shouldnt be able to sign underage south american players because you know for a 99% certainty that we will rise to a star player, thats where the issue starts imo

in any case, if this game wants to be as realistic as possible you shouldnt be able to sign underage south american players because you know for a 99% certainty that we will rise to a star player, thats where the issue starts imo
Yes I agree 110%, but that isn't to do with wages! (Although again I note the 'demanding more from human than AI wage issue)

my theory however is that his wage demand is bound to the transfer bid, i think i bid around 3 million or so~ and his agent wanted 400k or something stupid, i dont think that it differs much to the actual reputation of your club

but back to topic yes the wage rises are stupid high, if you get a high potential youth player around age 18, and you pay him like 800€/week, sign him for 4 years, after 3 years of constant playing his next contract will be like 8k/week

its often better to just sell them and get a new one, and repeat the cycle till you get rich (if your club is not rich already)

Any examples in the Bugs forum please. Thanks.

I'd have thought that this would have been reported extensively. I realise more examples are always helpful (and I'll see if I can find some still saved specifics) but has this issue not been raised with examples before?

I'm not having a go btw, just wondering.

this and also for other players with small wages who have less then 2k /week and demand more then 20k /week

also some clubs demand too much for their players like some french clubs

• SI Staff

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some examples of scenario 2 on hand at the moment and I am passing these on to the dev team now.

If anyone has a decent example of Scenario 1 on hand then please add to this thread on the bugs forum and upload a save game - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/342818-Player-signing-on-a-free-for-much-less-wages-than-would-re-negogiate-contract-for

FYI a tweak for Scenario 1 was included in the last update, but judging by the feedback it still needs more attention.

Cheers,

Ben

Transfer fees would be great if the players that are out of favour / a fringe player / about to become out of contract / old / whatever , were available for reasonable prices.

It seems that regardless of the situation , the AI looks at the players rep and CA and sets his asking price accordingly.

Wages are stupid, players either ask too much or are inflexible as hell. PAYP deals for older pro's and low basic / high appearance style deals for youth are almost impossible to negotiate.

I've always managed to keep my wage bill in a fair range in my Save. I always try to have players accept the lowest week wages possible, my highest earning player started with a 270k p/w demand, it took some time and good amount of attempts but he settled for 190k in the end. Considering that my team is by far the best in the world in my game, than I think these wages are pretty low.

35bbmhi.png

Do agree, don't remember exact details but I've tried buying average players and they do want 100k and between agent and the player fee it's another £7M or so, way over the top and it's the insane jump I don't get as well, a player earning £7K at his own club now wants 10x that, why the massive jump? and the negotiations are pretty pointless as well because at best you will get £3k or something off which is what I also don't get, you're at an average club and the best in the world wants you yet you won't budge on your demands? just doesn't make sense to me, he'd rather go back to and average club than join the best for the sake of £5k.

Even 15 year olds want £17k and all that I mean really?

I've always managed to keep my wage bill in a fair range in my Save. I always try to have players accept the lowest week wages possible, my highest earning player started with a 270k p/w demand, it took some time and good amount of attempts but he settled for 190k in the end. Considering that my team is by far the best in the world in my game, than I think these wages are pretty low.

35bbmhi.png

lol 190k a week described as pretty low? that's crazy and not far off Messi/Ronaldo wages so can't really be described as 'in a fair range' regardless of how good your player is.

lol 190k a week described as pretty low? that's crazy and not far off Messi/Ronaldo wages so can't really be described as 'in a fair range' regardless of how good your player is.
I know what you mean, but it is 2033 and he said he is the best team in the world. Why shouldnt the best team in the world pay not far off Messi/Ronaldo wages? I also note that the high wages don't go that far down his squad, which isn't bad for the world's best team.

I agree that it isn't a shining example though.

Hes my frustration with contracts

Falcao - agree 35 mill fee as he was listed by request. From me he wanted 250 k per week, 25k goal, 25 k loyal, 12.3 bonus, 8.3 agent

I withdraw, a week later sign for Dortmund for 29 mill (would not except that from me)

Check contract, he's on 89k per week, 8.7k goal, 8.7 k loyal

So Frustrating and ruining the game, sort it ou SI

Hes my frustration with contracts

Falcao - agree 35 mill fee as he was listed by request. From me he wanted 250 k per week, 25k goal, 25 k loyal, 12.3 bonus, 8.3 agent

I withdraw, a week later sign for Dortmund for 29 mill (would not except that from me)

Check contract, he's on 89k per week, 8.7k goal, 8.7 k loyal

So Frustrating and ruining the game, sort it ou SI

report to bugs forum and upload a save game to FTP

Although I agree the situation is unrealistic, I think the right place could be slightly more to the middle than you do

This is how much he wants to move to Liverpool. I wouldn't say he 'expects' 22k and a rotation role, but that he demands it purely for the move to Liverpool. Why would a 17 year old want to leave the comfort and the prestige of Madrid to be a backup or less at Liverpool? Of course he is only going to move if he gets a massive pay increase, to make the move worth his while, or a better squad status,to see his career progress. He is at arguably the worlds greatest club, probably living in his home town. Of course he is only going to go anywhere if someone pays him a bucketload to do so.

Playing matches has nothing to do with it, he is 17 and has the world ahead of him, he knows he has great PA. If he was 24 and hadn't ever played things would be different.

I think the game needs to adjust demands slightly, but you really need to get more realistic with your expectations too.

I can see where you are coming from there Herbet. I think what i would like to see is a genuine interest shown from the player for us to see how interested he is in a move. We have it for the 'Squad Status Interest' at the moment but i would like to see something similar to that for the actual move to the club. That way if what you say is whats happening here (tho i am a place above Madrid in the reputation) it would be good to see a overall interest from the player to help understand why his initial demands are what they are and also to help judge your contract offers whilst in negotiations

I can see where you are coming from there Herbet. I think what i would like to see is a genuine interest shown from the player for us to see how interested he is in a move. We have it for the 'Squad Status Interest' at the moment but i would like to see something similar to that for the actual move to the club. That way if what you say is whats happening here (tho i am a place above Madrid in the reputation) it would be good to see a overall interest from the player to help understand why his initial demands are what they are and also to help judge your contract offers whilst in negotiations
Agreed, Maybe in the agent's conversation section.

Instead of just being like - "Pay me a lot!" or "I'll wait and see what you say" they could add in things like "My player is excited by your club's reputation, but is worried about moving to Liverpool" etc.

From what I can see they have most of this information in the game already, with comments like "prefers to continue his development at his own club" or "looking forward to residing in London", but they are so seperate from the contractual discussion that many people may miss the link entirely, and even those than don't can only discover it after the contract discussion is over.

Wage demands are inconsistent and wildly off target more often than not, and so are transfer fees for rotation/backup players...

In my (corrupted) save, I landed the job at Man City (in 2022) and tried to sign a 18yo LB I previously brought to Southampton during my short run there...

Under the new management he lost his spot in the Starting XI and was offered out on loan to crappy Championship clubs...

Reported value around 2M, my scout said he would have been available for around 5... Saints refused up to 18M for him and came back with a ludicrous 25M request.

For a guy their manager DEMOTED to 3rd choice and was willing to loan out to Ipswich or Sheffield...

Same thing goes for every fringe player in Top Leagues... good luck signing someone for less than 3M... barely matters if they last played/scored when Gordon Brown was PM...

report to bugs forum and upload a save game to FTP

As if that'd solve anything. We've had this issue for generations of this game, it's far from fixed and who knows what needs to be done for it to be fixed. Maybe they need a new code completely, maybe they haven't bothered much with it. FM still sells truckloads of cash for SI and Sega, why fix something that isn't broken in their view?

When i have had a player(s) who are on say 50k p/w and now wants 130k and still has 3+yrs left on his contract, i just tell him he has time remaining on his contract and he will not be getting a new contract.

99% of the time the player gives in and all is good but then again, this has everything to do with your manager rep as i have a very good rep at my club i can say almost anything and they will be happy.

Here is an example of young players who have never played a game in their career expecting a rotation role and 22k wages.

tumblr_mgvi0vFBmG1r1ut21o1_500.png

tumblr_mgvi0vFBmG1r1ut21o2_1280.png

I've just had a 17 year old demanding 30k a week off me, and the maximum signing on fee for a rotation player. One of the moderators said the agents and players who what your wage budget is and go from there. It's the stupidest thing to do, don't know why they programmed that in

Agents opinion of you needs to get toned down. Contract negotiations are harder this FM as they add so many clauses, that I don't like. For example I don't want yearly wage rises at my club so try to change the contract.

After a few negotiations it is very easy to become disliked or hated by the agent. There's no going back either. It's too easy to become hated, than to gain positive cred.

I wonder how many transfers break down irl (many we don't ever hear about) because of ridiculous demands, I reckon it will be a shedload.

Sneijder (sp?) for example, out of all the clubs in Europe who would love to have him, apparently there was only one (Galatasaray) that would/could.

I wonder how many transfers break down irl (many we don't ever hear about) because of ridiculous demands, I reckon it will be a shedload.

Sneijder (sp?) for example, out of all the clubs in Europe who would love to have him, apparently there was only one (Galatasaray) that would/could.

Sure, but that transfer falls into the "unsettled player on inflated wage" type, which admittedly, is the ONLY kind of transfer FM has been able to replicate in an acceptable way.

On the other hand it'd be more difficult to have many of those "cheap" transfers involving two sort-of-equal clubs and decent/good players going for <5M in real life which are almost impossible to have in FM as most clubs will ask for stupid money even for rotation players they don't use that much,

I have seen this a couple of times however I have also seen it where i have entered negotiations with someone their agent has asked for way too much money and the wages were over what i wanted to pay so i withdrew, then the player has sacked their agent. So me being a cheeky fella i re-enter negotiations with the player (this time he does not have an agent) and i sign him up on a pretty average contract.

I do like this side of it, cause it shows the AI players have control over their future, of course this only happens sometimes and i may have been lucky with 1 or 2 players who just werent in it for the money

Transfer fees are looking okay to me these days. I have recently managed to assemble a whole bunch of very talented youngsters at reasonable prices (e.g. Will Hughes for € 3m, a leading EPL potential West Ham regen for € 1m).

The wage demands of players are however over the top. I agree that it is realistic for players to demand rises every time. But the extent is at times pretty ridiculous. In essence it forces you to sell and replace players when their contracts are up for renewal a lot more often than it happens irl.

Tbf it has to be said that in return it is a lot less regular than irl that players simply refuse to sign any contract extension because they want to go to a bigger club, preferably on a free. All clubs other than the really big fish are regularly forced to sell players a year before their contracts exprire because they would lose them for nothing otherwise. Even Dortmund are still facing this problem, as the examples of Kagawa and, likely, Lewandowski show. That doesn't happen in the game at all.

Archived