Racism Watch

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, there is no need for it. That's a shame really for Russia.

But we don't really know why did it start. Also the previous attack from Polish fans on Russians could have played it's part here. Also, there are some reports, that it was a provocation and actually it were Polish Ultras who beaten those stewards(the woman in the video actually crying: "Those are Polish. Polish, what are you doing ********?")

So yes, all this is pretty pathetic and it will be much worse on Tuesday. But Polish are very much responsible for this. There were many insults from them aimed at Russians during the game.

Poland And Russia will be the game it'll kick off. is there any black players in the russian side?

It won't kick off at the game. Like I keep trying to explain to everyone Polish Ultras and Hooligans are boycotting the Euros and have no interest in attending games. Also can't afford to attend due to high ticket prices. There will be lots of trouble before the game on the streets due to the Russian fans march and Polish nationalists counter march but in the stadium nothing major will happen. Also has nothing to do with non-white players or race at all. It's a historical issue completely unrelated to racism and even football.

It won't kick off at the game. Like I keep trying to explain to everyone Polish Ultras and Hooligans are boycotting the Euros and have no interest in attending games. Also can't afford to attend due to high ticket prices. There will be lots of trouble before the game on the streets due to the Russian fans march and Polish nationalists counter march but in the stadium nothing major will happen. Also has nothing to do with non-white players or race at all. It's a historical issue completely unrelated to racism or the Euros.

I corrected that for you mate, i know what you meant to say. :D

Out of interest, what sort of coverage did it get in Holland?? Or anywhere else in Europe. Not trying to catch anyone out, but just genuinely interested.

Yes it was covered in the Dutch press(as it would be for any nation that had its players abused)it was on television and in the newspaper,The Dutch FA also released a statement in which it said the chants were a mixture of racist chants and anti Euro chants.

Not sure if it was as much as it was in the English press but it was given the coverage in Holland,not sure why you would have thought otherwise tbh.

Balotelli suffers racist abuse as Spaniards aim monkey chants at Italy striker

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2157538/Euro-2012-Mario-Balotelli-suffers-racist-abuse.html#ixzz1xU9Lizhl

According to As, English press made that up. Spanish fans were supposedly chanting 'tonto, tonto'.

Yes it was covered in the Dutch press(as it would be for any nation that had its players abused)it was on television and in the newspaper,The Dutch FA also released a statement in which it said the chants were a mixture of racist chants and anti Euro chants.

Not sure if it was as much as it was in the English press but it was given the coverage in Holland,not sure why you would have thought otherwise tbh.

I was just genuinely interested. Not trying to catch anyone out or anything.

According to As, English press made that up. Spanish fans were supposedly chanting 'tonto, tonto'.

According to various Spanish fans groups, there was racist chanting from a small number of Spanish fans, but the rest of the fans drowned them out. So am thinking As are more likely to be the ones making things up to try to deny there was an issue.

Most likely is that it did happen, it was a minority of idiots & they were promptly told to shut their traps in no uncertain terms.

he hasn't been misinterpreted at all. it's just a rubbish pr thing. he said:

"fags/poofs in the national team? that's their problem. but I hope not."

I know cassano is proper thick, but he made his views clear with that comment. no point apologising now.

I guess, at least he's honest, and is only saying what must be the case for pretty much everyone in football. :)

Or was being honest, now slipped back in to pretending there's not a problem with having gays in your team or on the pitch.

I guess, at least he's honest, and is only saying what must be the case for pretty much everyone in football. :)

Or was being honest, now slipped back in to pretending there's not a problem with having gays in your team or on the pitch.

What makes you think everybody in football thinks like this?

Why is it a problem to have players who are gay in your team?

What makes you think everybody in football thinks like this?

Why is it a problem to have players who are gay in your team?

It's not a problem to me. There's obviously a problem in football though, otherwise why would it be all be kept hush hush, unless you're saying there are no gays that play top pro football out of coincidence?? Or they're all shy about their sexuality?? Hmm. This is 2012, not 1912; society has moved on. Football hasn't it seems.

Cassano was just echoing what I think is the attitude in the football world imvho. I don't know any pro footballers personally, so am just guessing like. :)

I don't think it's fair lambasting Cassano for what he said... They set him up, "exploiting" his ignorance and lack of sensibility.

Frankly a question about homosexuals in the NT (originated from the "shocking revelations" of a C-list celebrity who was looking for cheap publicity for an upcoming book) was out of place, and asking it to Cassano was just the best way to make a mountain out a molehill.

Mission accomplished, but again, Cassano is only "guilty" of being ignorant and not smart enough to know how to deal with such stupid and tricky questions.

In fairness, he probably meant to say "I don't know, it's their private business and I don't want to have a thing to do with that anyway".

The only questionable part is the "I hope not" one, but it's hardly an uncommon feeling among vast portions of society, let alone in the low-class, chavvy metropolitan areas in Southern Italy where Cassano grew up.

One of the very first insults you learn to use is "fag", and considering Cassano's level of culture and "awareness" is still that of a 13 years old I'm not surprised at all to hear him express himself about gay people.

I just blame those pseudo-journalists who asked him about that, knowing and HOPING he would have said something stupid.

The only questionable part is the "I hope not" one, but it's hardly an uncommon feeling among vast portions of society, let alone in the low-class, chavvy metropolitan areas in Southern Italy where Cassano grew up.

One of the very first insults you learn to use is "fag", and considering Cassano's level of culture and "awareness" is still that of a 13 years old I'm not surprised at all to hear him express himself about gay people.

I just blame those pseudo-journalists who asked him about that, knowing and HOPING he would have said something stupid.

I think he's still stupid for even bothering to entertain the question, fairly sure he admitted Prandelli told him that they'd ask him something about it as well, I'd have hoped he was told to not share any of his views.

It's part reason why racism has the PR thing nailed, but gays don't.

You won't find much in mainstream media about Cassano's comment at the Beeb, no debate, no blogs, no 5000 responses to said blog.

If he'd said the same about a black player watch the world (or England) have kittens. And is there really any difference. No expert, but thinking a black or gay player is not gay or black out of choice. It's just nature. Why should they worry about either. But one group does, the other seemingly too worried to come out with it.

I don't give a fig about gay rights, and if honest gay/race discrimination has never affected me, I'm 'lucky', but it just tickles (and I was born that way out of lottery of birth, being majority in the culture I was born in) me that football/PR/uproar is so lopsided. I'm white in white country and straight and am really, really not interested in what a guy does sexually (unless it's with my missus :D ), but you have to admit something is lopsided here.

It's a debate that won't be had. By anyone in football. Journalists, managers, players, fans. So as ignorant as Cassano might be, and as leech like a journalist might be, he's just opening up on a world of discrimination the football world chooses to ignore.

But hey, racism sells. They nailed that PR corner well. Fair play. Less discrimination at the lottery of birth the better. From acorns oak trees grow?? Or not. Not yet anyway.

You won't find much in mainstream media about Cassano's comment at the Beeb, no debate, no blogs, no 5000 responses to said blog.

Isn't that more down to scale? One idiot makes a stupid statement isn't going to get the same coverage as someone being racially abused by a group of people while he's working. If the same group where abusing someone for their sexuality I'm sure you'd see a similar response. I don't think it has much to do with PR to be honest.

I think when it happens to Balotelli a lot of it is people just disliking him for being a dick rather than racism. Lots of fans make that noise to white players they dislike as well as black ones. For example I used to watch Sparta Prague quite a lot and their fans make monkey or booing sounds to anyone they dislike regardless of race. Lots of white Czech players would receive it as much as non-white players. Think of lot of the stuff with him is just dislike rather than racism. The same fans who make that noise to him are rarely heard making it to other non-white players. Maybe it's wrong but I think it's different to racial hatred.

Isn't that more down to scale? One idiot makes a stupid statement isn't going to get the same coverage as someone being racially abused by a group of people while he's working. If the same group where abusing someone for their sexuality I'm sure you'd see a similar response. I don't think it has much to do with PR to be honest.

Well, to be fair it's only an isolated incident so I can understand less coverage whereas the racism thing is being pursued by every media outlet continuously, but imagine some player saying in a press conference that he hopes there aren't blacks picked in his squad.

There's been some articles in the more underground press about homosexuality in football, but it's going to take quite a few incidents like this for it to be pushed to the limelight.

Monkey noises when Balotelli went off or was I hearing things?
I heard it too.
Italy fans attempted to drown it out (wp), he quite obviously didn't deserve such a cheer on his performance. As you said though, nothing will be done about it. Although Croatia will get in trouble over the flares from their fans anyway.

So lots of reports circulating that a Banana was thrown onto the pitch last night by the Croatia fans. Dreadful if true. Hard to argue that the monkey chants are aimed at all players that are disliked when they start throwing Bananas too.

Unless they have that thing Russia apparently have where "having a banana" means having a bad game...

So lots of reports circulating that a Banana was thrown onto the pitch last night by the Croatia fans. Dreadful if true. Hard to argue that the monkey chants are aimed at all players that are disliked when they start throwing Bananas too.

Every single one of Croatian Ultra groups are against the Croatian FA, some also against the board of their club (BBB against Dinamo board). Our FA is almost a dictatorship and a closed circle of people that just switch positions. Seeing that and some even having the same in their club (Dinamo), I'm hardly surprised some individuals possibly decided to protest by radical means, by basically challenging UEFA to throw us out and hoping that our FA will self-destruct.

Having said that, naturally, I feel nothing but disgust for their actions just as much as for our FA.

150 Englishs supporters in Donetsk plan to have an anti Sol Campbel/BBC march tomorrow.

They say that BBC doco and Sol Campbell misguided many English fans and convinced them to staying home, while Ukraine and Ukrainian people are quite nice and everything is good.

Guys bought a coffin for 15£ and painted it into St George's Cross with an additional 'Sol you are wrong' sign to be fixed tomorrow. Black guy will be placed in the coffin, march will start at 3pm (CET).

http://dynamo.kiev.ua/user/High_Hopes/103235.html

150 Englishs supporters in Donetsk plan to have an anti Sol Campbel/BBC march tomorrow.

They say that BBC doco and Sol Campbell misguided many English fans and convinced them to staying home, while Ukraine and Ukrainian people are quite nice and everything is good.

Guys bought a coffin for 15£ and painted it into St George's Cross with an additional 'Sol you are wrong' sign to be fixed tomorrow. Black guy will be placed in the coffin, march will start at 3pm (CET).

http://dynamo.kiev.ua/user/High_Hopes/103235.html

They will let him out afterwards, right?!

They will let him out afterwards, right?!

ha) Depends on number of beers they'll have) group of English guys forgot their friend in wheelchain in Kiev pub on the 9th of June and left for Kharkiv. Pub manager called police for help, but before they arrived one of kievites took the English guy from pub, bought him train ticket to Kharkiv and call some friends there to arrange English reunion)))

Apparently the German's are now in trouble because their fans displayed a Neo Nazi banner at their game with Denmark. Find this one extremely hard to believe as someone who's spent time in Germany and has seen how ashamed people are of that period in their history. Lots of stories on various sites but once again no photos. Surely these organisations have a responsibility to show their evidence rather than making accusations? Hopefully it didn't take place. Definitely hope it's not another case of English spotters not understanding someone else's banners like with the Russian Imperial flag.

Apparently the German's are now in trouble because their fans displayed a Neo Nazi banner at their game with Denmark. Find this one extremely hard to believe as someone who's spent time in Germany and has seen how ashamed people are of that period in their history. Lots of stories on various sites but once again no photos. Surely these organisations have a responsibility to show their evidence rather than making accusations? Hopefully it didn't take place. Definitely hope it's not another case of English spotters not understanding someone else's banners like with the Russian Imperial flag.

a) they will have shown the evidence to UEFA

b) How do you know if 1) you don't actually know the nationality of the spotters and 2) you haven't seen the evidence yourself

Your assumptions are becoming rather tiresome to be honest.

Archived