Racism Watch

Bliss Seeker

a) they will have shown the evidence to UEFA

b) How do you know if 1) you don't actually know the nationality of the spotters and 2) you haven't seen the evidence yourself

Your assumptions are becoming rather tiresome to be honest.

The FARE organisation is British and uses British spotters. Do you think it's OK for the global press to report a nation's fans for displaying a Neo Nazi banner (the worst thing Germans could possibly be accused of) yet none of the articles actually contain a photo of this? People make decisions/opinions based on what they hear and retractions rarely change opinions. I just find it amazing that one organisation reports all of these things when others don't see them. Haven't heard anyone else report the Nazi flag. If it's true then it's a disgrace and the perpetrator should be jailed, but I think it ridiculous to make these claims and not back them up publicly considering the consequences.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can kinda see Niebiescy's point. For example, Totenkopf emblems are not uncommon on German club banners, from a 'foreigners' perspective they definitely give off Nazi vibes, despite the vast bulk of their historical usage having no link to Nazism at all. Wouldn't be surprised if it's perhaps something along those lines.

150 Englishs supporters in Donetsk plan to have an anti Sol Campbel/BBC march tomorrow.

They say that BBC doco and Sol Campbell misguided many English fans and convinced them to staying home, while Ukraine and Ukrainian people are quite nice and everything is good.

Guys bought a coffin for 15£ and painted it into St George's Cross with an additional 'Sol you are wrong' sign to be fixed tomorrow. Black guy will be placed in the coffin, march will start at 3pm (CET).

http://dynamo.kiev.ua/user/High_Hopes/103235.html

A video of it

Can kinda see Niebiescy's point. For example, Totenkopf emblems are not uncommon on German club banners, from a 'foreigners' perspective they definitely give off Nazi vibes, despite the vast bulk of their historical usage having no link to Nazism at all. Wouldn't be surprised if it's perhaps something along those lines.

This is exactly my thinking. The Russians for example were reported for flying their old national flag from the 1800s because it has at times been used by the far right. That doesn't make it a hate symbol. I want to know if the German report is similar to this or if it was an actual Nazi hate symbol. I am not trying to condone racism or anything along those lines. Just want to make sure people are not making claims based on misunderstanding what they see. To me it is wrong to release reports about things like this yet not information about the banner. This is why I am questioning it. If I could see it I wouldn't have to ask a question because we'd know immediately what it is and what it stands for. This incident has now been reported in the media all over the world making headlines yet nobody has seen the banner.

Apparently the German's are now in trouble because their fans displayed a Neo Nazi banner at their game with Denmark. Find this one extremely hard to believe as someone who's spent time in Germany and has seen how ashamed people are of that period in their history.

This is perhaps true for a majority but there have been radical right-wing banners in German stadiums. Especially at professional football games it does very very rarely happen but it does. So I wouldn't rule it out totally although it's quite unlikely at a national team match.

Yeah, that protest is pretty pitiful. Sounded like a nice idea at first but they have no Ukrainians in there for a start. They're trying to show that it isn't dangerous so there was the chance to make a really strong protest and show both sets of fans coming together and making friends etc. Instead it looks like anti-Campbell/BBC rather than pro-Ukraine. You could argue it looks like the fans have gone over anyway in defiance even though it might not be safe :rolleyes: Way to miss the point fellas.

FA race rage: Police probe Twitter abuse aimed at England fall-guys

By Matt Lawton

PUBLISHED: 17:06, 25 June 2012 | UPDATED: 01:28, 26 June 2012

The FA stood up for England’s two shootout flops on Monday night by branding racist Twitter attacks on them as ‘appalling and unacceptable’.

Police have started an investigation into offensive abuse aimed at Ashley Young and Ashley Cole shortly after they failed to score from the spot in the Euro 2012 quarter-final against Italy.

The FA, in backing both players as Roy Hodgson’s defeated side returned home, said: 'We are concerned at the allegations of abuse aimed at England players Ashley Cole and Ashley Young on Twitter.

'They have just given everything for the national team at Euro 2012 and it is appalling and unacceptable that messages of an abusive type are being posted. We support any police investigation in identifying who is behind this.'

In a series of offensive postings one user goaded others who criticised him for his rants.

In one post the tweeter wrote: 'All I got to say is this was just a joke, you guys need to relax, police know i was kiddin around and they won’t bother me hopefully, cheers.'

Another said: 'The police won’t bother me mate I can assure you that.'

Spot of bother: Ashley Young crashes his effort onto the bar during the shootout

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: 'We are aware of alleged racist comments on Twitter following last night’s England game and have launched an investigation.

'The allegation was made to MPS on 25 June by a member of the public relating to comments on a Twitter account supposedly based in London.

'There have been no arrests at this early stage.

'The MPS is examining possible offences under Section 18/19 Public Order Act 1986.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2164465/Euro-2012-racism-Ashley-Cole-Ashley-Young-Twitter-abuse-investigated-police.html#ixzz1ysHVWPFH

hopefully they catch him, i imagine the police techs will see 'The police won’t bother me mate I can assure you that.' as an interesting challenge.

Archived