England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't believe the likes of Robinson, Foster etc.

We have to go with a man whose only professional football to date has been at Cheltenham Town :(

Butland is an exceptional young goalkeeper. Will be challenging Hart for England's #1 shirt in the near future.

What's Flowers up to these days? Last time I checked he'd been appointed manager of some random non-league team after acting as Dowie's assistant manager at a few different clubs.

Butland is an exceptional young goalkeeper. Will be challenging Hart for England's #1 shirt in the near future.

Yes, in the future. Possibly. Not yet.

So if it's all the same, I'd rather we had a keeper available with some decent top level experience.

We'll see how good this guy is on Sunday. Jesus Christ! Has he really got the potential to be world class though like on FM? Bit of a risk, should have called up Stockdale :D

He's in the backup list, but Terry and Cahill are on holiday and Johnson's injured meaning Jones to right back(I assume), so he'll partner Lescott at CB. Guessing it'll be this:

Green

Jones Jagielka Lescott Baines

Parker Barry

Walcott Gerrard Young

Carroll

Says a lot about how the SPL is regarded when Fraser Forster (a good young keeper) is behind Jack Butland, like

He's improved massively since he first came to Celtic. He was really just a giant gangly lump of a keeper (he's 6'7"!)who was very rough around the edges, he's now really solid. Quite a bit of European experience for his age, too.

If he doesn't move to Celtic permanently he'll be one of the top 'keepers in the EPL within a season or two I think. He's better than the guys in front of him at Newcastle (just don't tell them that).

Butland being ahead of McCarthy, Stockdale and Steele surprises me. Neither McCarthy nor Stockdale have got regular gametime but they've got quite a bit on loan in the Championship. I supoose it helps that they have Birmingham's goalkeeping coach.

Every single time I've seen Butland (which admittedly has always been for country and not club) he's been awful. Beyond awful. I can't put into words how awful.

Seen him play for England twice myself and seemed fine? Everyone that's ever come into contact with him seems to think he's the new Gordon Banks :D Just destined for mediocrity now.

Ben Foster on le twitter: “@BenFoster: Remember the name Jack Butland people,, Never seen such a frighteningly good young talent in my career. He's got everything,and he's only 19”

Just hope he somehow gets on the pitch at some point and makes some stupendous save or something so we can sell him for £10m :cool:

Butland being ahead of McCarthy, Stockdale and Steele surprises me. Neither McCarthy nor Stockdale have got regular gametime but they've got quite a bit on loan in the Championship. I supoose it helps that they have Birmingham's goalkeeping coach.

Well the guy is apparently loved by Ben Foster and Joe Hart so he must be a great coach, and if he thinks Butland's good enough then that's good enough for me. Dave Watson :cool:

Better than Krul :D

Yup (though I haven't seen much of Krul in a wee while, maybe he's improved inordinately). Obviously he hasn't proven it at EPL level yet.

Don't know a thing about the League Two guy, but seems a (slight) risk to take someone with such little experience.

Well the guy is apparently loved by Ben Foster and Joe Hart so he must be a great coach, and if he thinks Butland's good enough then that's good enough for me. Dave Watson :cool:

Not doubting that Watson is a great coach, but aside from that Butland is a strange selection. I suppose Hodgson isn't familiar with the Championship goalkeepers so just went with what Watson told him.

Not lost at home in 2 years as well and not a bad qualifying campaign, right?

Lost out on goal difference to Portugal. Egil Olsen has lost a grand total of one game at home during his now almost 13 years in charge. That was a friendly against Ukraine

Man i knew itvs coverage was always awful but it seems just that bit worse today, horrible!

I still don't know why Peter Reid was asked about Downing when Southgate was sat right next to him.

Peter: "How old is he? 22? 23?"

Gareth: "He's 27."

Archived