SF1: Argentina vs Croatia, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

The stage is set as Argentina take on Croatia tonight in our first semi-final. Argentina come into this after winning on penalties against the Netherlands having previously thrown away a 2-0 lead. That game also featured 8 yellow cards for the South Americans and resulted in the suspension of fullbacks Gonzalo Montiel and Marcos Acuña. Croatia come into this having prevailed on penalties in both of their knockout round ties, knocking out Japan and Brazil in the process.

It is almost certainly the last World Cup for two of the best players of their generation in the form of Lionel Messi and Luka Modric.

Semi-final history

Argentina have an impeccable record at this stage of a World Cup and have 4 wins from 4 appearances (1930, 1986, 1990 and 2014). (*1978 had a second group phase)

Croatia are in the semis for 3rd time in 6 World Cup appearances since regaining independence from Yugoslavia. They lost at this stage in 1998 but won in Russia last time out.

Past meetings

They have faced each other 5 times, with both teams winning twice each and their first ever game in 1994 ending in a draw. They have played each other twice at a World Cup - Argentina won 1-0 in 1998 while Croatia smashed their opponents 3-0 in 2018.

Most recent semi-finals

Edited by Darius1998

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting a close contest - not a World Cup classic, but also not the All Attack vs All Defence game that some people on here might be predicting. Think a moment of Argentine brilliance (probably from Messi) wins it late on, leaving Leo one game away from the biggest prize of them all.

And thanks for the timely reminder that Acuna is suspended. I played my fantasy wildcard and he was one of the players I brought into my team. Anyway, he's gone now. :D

Not only Acuna, but also Montiel. Scaloni likes to sub his full-backs, so that might be an issue.

From Croatia's perspective, it's going to be easier to play against Argentina. They also don't have a single really quick player like Brazilians did, so doubling the flanks and being scared of quick counter won't be as big of a threat.

They went with 4 actual midfielders to try and keep possession, but it's still a side that's not impressive, except for obviously Messi. They were questionable at the back whenever they were threatened, Croatia needs to be more proactive today.

While Argentina doesn't have as much quality as Brazil, Messi is obviously on a mission and he can unlock the defense better than anyone else, so being proactive is way more important than it was against Brazil.

Orsato has the whistle, so I fully expect a robbery and another refereeing performance which favors Messi, much like in previous matches.

And the day is finally here, stat-lovers. 

Messi equals the record for most WC games that has stood since 1998.

25 - Lothar Matthaus, Lionel Messi
24 - Miroslav Klose
23 - Paolo Maldini
22 - Cristiano Ronaldo
21 - Diego Maradona, Uwe Seeler, Wladyslaw Zmuda
20 - Cafu, Philipp Lahm, Grzegorz Lato, Javier Mascherano, Bastian Schweinsteiger

But surely Messi gets to 26 now, barring a red card or an injury tonight... whether it's the final or the 3PP.

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Not only Acuna, but also Montiel. Scaloni likes to sub his full-backs, so that might be an issue.

From Croatia's perspective, it's going to be easier to play against Argentina. They also don't have a single really quick player like Brazilians did, so doubling the flanks and being scared of quick counter won't be as big of a threat.

They went with 4 actual midfielders to try and keep possession, but it's still a side that's not impressive, except for obviously Messi. They were questionable at the back whenever they were threatened, Croatia needs to be more proactive today.

While Argentina doesn't have as much quality as Brazil, Messi is obviously on a mission and he can unlock the defense better than anyone else, so being proactive is way more important than it was against Brazil.

Orsato has the whistle, so I fully expect a robbery and another refereeing performance which favors Messi, much like in previous matches.

Montiel and Acuña are both suspended.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Did I make a mistake? :D

Fuller said Acuna is suspended and I said not only him, but also Montiel.

Darius literally mentioned Acuna's suspension (and Montiel's) in the OP.

I only mentioned Acuna because he was in my fantasy team before Darius brought it up. Montiel wasn't in my team.

Edited by CFuller

6 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Imagine if Croatia win the tournament without winning a game in the knockout stages 

Only won a single group game too.

Got to the final last time with only 1 knockout round win too. Turgid :D 

6 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Gunman lording it for the next 4 years can we? :D 

Well, I haven't said anything for the past 4 years after eliminating England in the semi-final. :brock:

The best comment about Argentina's team would be how everyone wants Messi to win the trophy he deserves more than anyone, but then you look at the bunch of c*nts playing with him and the opinion suddenly changes. :D

7 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Semi final and ITV still analyse England.

I'm not surprised, but is this actually what people tune into a Semi final build up to see?

And this is why I don't watch the build up, especially on ITV :D 

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, I haven't said anything for the past 4 years after eliminating England in the semi-final. :brock:

The best comment about Argentina's team would be how everyone wants Messi to win the trophy he deserves more than anyone, but then you look at the bunch of c*nts playing with him and the opinion suddenly changes. :D

I don't really support England so that doesn't bother me, I just don't like to see people happy :D 

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

This. Mon' Croatia.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I usually don't either anymore. Thought they might have been different for a semi final though ffs :D

Learn your lesson man! Always watch as little of ITV's coverage as humanly possible. Suffering through Matterface is more than enough.

Would be happy with either team winning tonight. Argies for Messi obviously and Croatia as they are damn likeable and Modric is one of my favourite ever players. Just hope we get a good match.

Fwiw, I don't mind the England stuff in the build up. I think most matches after we've gone out have always had a bit in the build up going over it and the World Cup isn't exactly for football purists who want tactical previews of players most have never heard about. It's what I'd expect and fair play to it for those who want to see stuff like that.

Edited by Rebs

I don't even buy the "Messi deserves one" rhetoric. He's undoubtedly one of the GOATs, the GOAT imo, but that doesn't mean he deserves anything. It would be good for him to win it, but football will be just fine if he bottles another one. Whether he wins it or not, people will continue to debate the GOAT until the end of time.

Just now, Rebs said:

Would be happy with either team winning tonight. Argies for Messi obviously and Croatia as they are damn likeable and Modruc is one of my favourite ever players. Just hope we get a good match.

Feiw, I don't mind the England stuff in the build up. I think most matches after we've gone out have always had a bit in the build up going over it and the World Cup isn't exactly for football purists who want tactical previews of players most have never heard about. It's what I'd expect and fair play to it for those who want to see stuff like that.

I reckon the overlap between people who are interested enough to watch the build up but still want to see England discussed now is very, very small.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

I reckon the overlap between people who are interested enough to watch the build up but still want to see England discussed now is very, very small.

Yeah maybe, but it's mainstream and free football to watch for the masses. All the kids at school are still talking about England, so it's just to cater to the general casual watcher. The World Cup is probably the norm for that.

5 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Learn your lesson man! Always watch as little of ITV's coverage as humanly possible. Suffering through Matterface is more than enough.

This entire World cup I've tuned in about 5 minutes before kick off and watch youtube at HT so miss all the people talking about the game or in most cases talking about England :D 

2 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

This entire World cup I've tuned in about 5 minutes before kick off and watch youtube at HT so miss all the people talking about the game or in most cases talking about England :D 

Only bit I watched was after Japan vs Spain at it was so mesmerisingly terrible

29 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I’m supporting whichever team makes the most effort to actually win the game, I don’t care who it is. 

Obvs gonna be Argentina as they have more talent, but it doesn't mean Croatia aren't making the effort to win the tie.

13 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

I don't really support England so that doesn't bother me, I just don't like to see people happy :D 

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I think I've been around here long enough for everyone to realize I'm never happy. :lol:

Nothing wrong with either of these stances tbh

I can't lose tonight, because I am totally split been wanting to see Messi win the WC and wanting to see the Argentinian team cry bitter tears because of the way they misbehaved after they lucked out against Oranje. They are one of the last to have the right to complain about the 'anything goes to win' mentality and they would even probably agree with that. But to taunt the opponent after winning is one of the all time lows I have ever seen. And Messi complaining about the ref who spared him at least 2 more yellow cards, you couldn't make it up. I can only think one thing: the Dutch really, really got under their skin. Not a bad feat for a European team with the reputation of 'nice to look at, but will never win anything because of it'. 

Oh, and when Croatia lose, Vida loses, so that's not a bad thing either :D 

I really can't decide. 

Edited by DJ