Netherlands vs USA, Round of 16. Live at 3pm GMT from the Khalifa International Stadium

Darius1998

Just now, Haguey said:

He's not a defender, but they'll play him like one. Same reason why Alex Telles is a failure

He's actually only useful in a specific system.

Physically imposing, but his ball control is subpar.

Crossing is also poor, you can see it was something he worked a lot on, he has no talent for it, just repetition. That's why he always goes for low crosses, poor touch.

If he has no space, he's useless on attack.

No doubt that United or Chelsea will bid for him. :thup:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Poor reflection on de Ligt that he's a backup for this Dutch side.

It's more about coach using the best players for given roles.

Koopmeiners is a class above De Roon, but De Roon is way better support for De Jong.

De Ligt and De Vrij are both only capable of playing central with three CBs.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Pretty sure he was starting XI and one of the Dutch posters on here said he offered to step out of the XI because he's not accustomed to playing in a three on the right 

That's correct. 

1 minute ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Bah, if only USA could defend.

And attack. And keep the ball in midfield. And had a couple of star players capable of doing surprising things. ^^

That went about as well as expected when the draw happened. Only reason anyone was giving us a chance is because the Dutch we're unconvincing in the group stage. And they almost made us look capable going forward...still couldn't finish, but probably created more chances today than in the entire group stage. Limited depth and quality experience were quite evident. 

Good experience for the players that will be a part of the squad in 2026 though.

Aaronson not starting and Reyna not playing more was disappointing. Pulisic continuing to take every set piece, when his delivery is consistently awful was frustrating. Berhalter's striker selection and usage was perplexing. 

Edited by XuluBak

7 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

That went about as well as expected when the draw happened. Only reason anyone was giving us a chance is because the Dutch we're unconvincing in the group stage. And they almost made us look capable going forward...still couldn't finish, but probably created more chances today than in the entire group stage. Limited depth and quality experience were quite evident. 

Good experience for the players that will be a part of the squad in 2026 though.

Aaronson not starting and Reyna not playing more was disappointing. Pulisic continuing to take every set piece, when his delivery is consistently awful was frustrating. Berhalter's striker selection and usage was perplexing. 

I think you guys could be good bet for Semi-Final in 2026. Been my second team for this tournament, because I loved how you played.

3 hours ago, Anthrax Dave said:

I think you guys could be good bet for Semi-Final in 2026. Been my second team for this tournament, because I loved how you played.

I'm nowhere near that optimistic, but there's a good young core to build around, and this experience should help. Desperately need clarity up front and improvement at CB though. Some depth wouldn't hurt either. 

4 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

I'm nowhere near that optimistic, but there's a good young core to build around, and this experience should help

You need to stop developing high energy midfielders and put some focus into finding some CBs and strikers :D 

Potential to be a great midfield but sod all at either end. Keeper looks decent though.

6 hours ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Bah, if only USA could defend.

We have players that can, unfortunately, Berhalter loves MLS players and prefers them over some better options (CC-V, Brookes, etc.).

The lack of a true #9 is still the bigger concern...especially when we don't have any true #9s in the youth system either.

11 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Yeah,like Croatia NT and It's Coming Home

I have to say, this forum really changed my perception about British humor.

Most of you guys are definitely not living up to it with such low-quality attempts.

You don't even know anything about the guy in the picture or his predictions gimmick, but you find yourself offended.

Edited by GunmaN1905

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Most of you guys are definitely not living up to it with such low-quality attempts.

You don't even know anything about the guy in the picture or his predictions gimmick, but you find yourself offended.

I've never watched a full NBA match in my life and I still know who he is. Pretty mental that you can be as big into sports as people are on here and not know who he is.

17 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm not offended...

It was just a low effort windup that lots of national teams take stuff too seriously for use as motivation and digs after the game.

1 hour ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I've never watched a full NBA match in my life and I still know who he is. Pretty mental that you can be as big into sports as people are on here and not know who he is.

Surely it's not knowing what the gimmick is rather than not knowing who he is? I know who he is, no idea what his guaranteeeed gimmick is though.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

This is a hilariously over the top reaction.

18 hours ago, Weezer said:

You need to stop developing high energy midfielders and put some focus into finding some CBs and strikers :D 

Potential to be a great midfield but sod all at either end. Keeper looks decent though.

There are some youngish options up front, but Berhalter, or whoever is in charge, needs to decide what they actually want from that position. (And those players have to develop). The three guys called up, are three completely different players, and none of them were significant contributors in qualifying. So there was no consistency or continuity in attack.

Edited by XuluBak

I have no clue who that guy is (basketball is possibly the lamest sport on earth to me) so I had no idea what he meant by that :D 

Guess I do now. 'It was just a sarcastic joke'. Just about as funny as basketball tbh ^^ Amazed that Memphis even gave it some time. 

18 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

There are some youngish options up front, but Berkhalter, or whoever is in charge, needs to decide what they actually want from that position. (And those players have to develop). The three guys called up, are three completely different players, and none of them were significant contributors in qualifying. So there was no consistency or continuity in attack.

Is Pepi any good?

He’s the only young American striker I know from FM :D 

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Is Pepi any good?

He’s the only young American striker I know from FM :D 

He had a good 2021 season, including his first WCQ call up, then took a move to Augsburg, struggled to have an impact there, got dropped, and is now on loan with FC Groningen. He's only 19 though, so he's got time. Think it was a mistake to make that move when he did. FC Dallas has a good track record for developing talent and he missed out on the WC experience as a result. 

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Can Weah play down middle?

Yes, he can play any of the front three positions. Think he's actually played the most centrally. TBF, I have no idea of his preference or if he's comfortable centrally. Or Berhalter just stubbornly wants to play him on the right. Aaronson played on the right most of the way through qualifying (Weah was injured).