Match 19: Netherlands vs Ecuador - ITV1 4pm (GMT) live from the Khalifa International Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm all for implementing systems, but to keep De Ligt and De Vrij on the bench and keep forcing 3 man defense isn't really worth it if your wingbacks are Dumfries and Blind.

Definitely seems like they are going out of their way to not play their best players. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Bit weird, but another goal doesn't change a lot here for Ecuador.  Think they've got to go and take a point vs Senegal whether they win 2-1 or lose 2-1.  For Netherlands, result here makes a much bigger difference potentially.

It does make all the difference, they'd really prefer not to play against England.

I'd rather risk it here and play for a win against Senegal than pretty much concede first place with a draw.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Bit weird, but another goal doesn't change a lot here for Ecuador.  Think they've got to go and take a point vs Senegal whether they win 2-1 or lose 2-1.  For Netherlands, result here makes a much bigger difference potentially.

I think they have a v good chance of reaching the quarter finals if they can win this group, so I guess a big deal from that point of view.

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If they win chances are they get Iran/USA in the next round

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If they win, they could still lose to Senegal and go through (would depend on GD). If they draw, they have to get a point. Also gives them a chance for a better draw. 

3 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

If they win, they could still lose to Senegal and go through (would depend on GD). 

Yeah, I was trying to work this out. 2-1 Ecuador win here and they are +3 and Senegal are 0 GD going into the last day. So Senegal would need to beat them by two goals to put them out. Or they could both go through still if Senegal beat Ecuador by any score and Netherlands don’t beat Qatar.

very impressive performance so far from Ecuador, defending brilliantly, and even when they have a misplaced pass, they are pressing right away to get it back, one turnover after another