Euro 21 on the BBC (and ITV) and ITS LIVE

Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan, Eilidh Barbour and Mark Chapman will lead coverage across TV and Radio and will be joined by a host of former England, Scotland and Wales stars, including Alan Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Alex Scott, Micah Richards, Ashley Williams, Mark Hughes, Shelley Kerr and James McFadden

Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas and Jurgen Klinsmann, winners of the European Championships spanning from 1996 to 2012, join the team. These decorated players will bring their international experience and insight to audiences , as all know what it takes to win the tournament and lift the trophy.

A massive opening weekend on BBC One and BBC iPlayer starts with the first game of the championship between Turkey and Italy on Friday, June 11, followed by Wales v Switzerland on the Saturday, England v Croatia on Sunday and ending with Scotland v Czech Republic and Spain v Sweden on the Monday, giving audiences the first opportunity to see all home nations sides in action.

Steve Crossman and Emma Saunders will join Mark Chapman in fronting 5 Live’s coverage of every game from the Euros. On board for co-commentary duties are former England internationals Karen Carney and Chris Waddle. Pat Nevin, Erin Cuthbert and  Charlie Adam will focus on Scotland, while Nathan Blake and James Collins will be at the heart of the Wales coverage.

BBC Radio 5 Live’s Daily Euros podcast will be your essential Euros listening every day on BBC Sounds with all the analysis, best interviews and behind the scenes insight. Starting on June 1, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Micah Richards will also kick off a Euros-themed Match of the Day: Top 10, whilst Peter Crouch, Tom Fordyce and Chris Stark return to BBC Sounds with That Peter Crouch Euros Podcast.

---------------------------------------------------

Television

Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic across Europe, broadcasting will come from BBC Sport's award-winning studio facility at Media City, Salford and UK-based stadiums with Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan, Eilidh Barbour and Mark Chapman all leading on the BBC's Euros presentations.

Representing the competing home nations in the studio are former England internationals Alan Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Alex Scott and Micah Richards. Ashely Williams, who captained Wales to the semi-finals in 2016, joins former Wales player and manager Mark Hughes. James McFadden, Shelley Kerr and Charlie Adam will represent Scotland across our coverage.

Joining the team in the studio are three European Championship winners, former France striker Thierry Henry, Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas and prolific German goal-scorer, Jurgen Klinsmann.

Reporting on the England camp throughout the tournament is Kelly Somers. Eilidh Barbour will be with the Scotland team and Carl Roberts with Wales.

On TV commentary duties there's Guy Mowbray, Steve Wilson, Robyn Cowen, Steve Bower, Jonathan Pearce, Vicki Sparks, Rob McLean and Mark Scott. Joining them on co-comms are Dion Dublin and Karen Carney and covering the England games are former internationals Jermaine Jenas, Martin Keown and Danny Murphy. Robbie Savage will offer insight on Wales and Scotland are covered by James McFadden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As well as the live action, there'll be plenty of additional programming to bring the tales off the pitch. Former England striker and podcasting legend Peter Crouch will be back stronger this summer alongside Maya Jama and Alex Horne and The Horne Section as Crouchy's Year Late Euros: Live is confirmed for BBC One and BBC iPlayer. Over ten episodes, starting on Friday 11 June, Peter, Maya and Alex will present their unique take on all the action and will be following England, Scotland and Wales throughout the tournament. The series will feature match reviews and predictions plus a whole host of entertainment features with big name celebrity guests, must-see moments and live music courtesy of house band Alex Horne and The Horne Section. All this plus Crouchy will be catching up with all the biggest footballing stars from the UK's home nations.

Starting on June 1, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Micah Richards return for a Euros-themed Match of the Day: Top 10. Ten episodes of the popular series will be recorded for BBC Sounds and BBC iPlayer, covering topics such as the top 10 Euros goals, teams, players and moments.

Dropping on BBC iPlayer on Saturday 29 May, Cristiano Ronaldo: Impossible To Ignore explores how one of the game's greatest ever players has overcome adversity to reach unparalleled heights. How has the boy from Madeira managed to change the face of football, the way the game is played and the business of how fans connect with footballers? Has he redefined what it means to be an icon in the 21st Century? And at 36, will he now rest on this legacy?

BBC Three will follow UK musicians Krept and Konan as they create a new England football anthem for the Euros, with the help of England players and manager Gareth Southgate in new exclusive documentary Krept and Konan: We Are England.  In making a new England football anthem, Krept and Konan will be setting out to explore what Englishness actually means in 2021. It's never been a simple question for those of non-white British heritage, but it's a question they need to tackle if they are going to create an authentic track to celebrate the national football team. Follow Krept and Konan as they get to know the England Squad, meeting players including Everton's Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Aston Villa's Tyrone Mings and West Ham's Declan Rice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio

Mark Chapman, Steve Crossman and Emma Saunders will lead coverage of all 51 matches on 5 Live and BBC Sounds. Karen Carney joins Chris Waddle with correspondent John Murray on England duty. Pat Nevin and Charlie Adam will focus on Scotland, while Nathan Blake and James Collins are at the heart of the Wales coverage. Alistair Bruce-Ball and Chris Sutton reunite following their successful road trip around Russia during the World Cup, while Ian Dennis, Vicki Sparks, Conor McNamara and Mark Scott will be working with Dion Dublin, Rob Green and Clinton Morrison.

Euros Daily, the tournament's biggest and best daily podcast, will kick things off before the action begins from June 1, going inside the England, Wales and Scotland camps, plus there will be special All About... editions featuring superstar names such as Zlatan Ibrahimović and Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as legends of the game like Marco van Basten. Leicester City's Premier League and FA Cup winner Christian Fuchs provides his guide to the rest of Europe and will be a regular throughout the tournament, alongside Micah Richards.

Fans will once again be encouraged to have their say throughout the tournament with Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton leading the UK's biggest football phone-in, 606.

Peter Crouch, Tom Fordyce and Chris Stark return to BBC Sounds with a special That Peter Crouch Euros Pod, starting on June 15 with two episodes a week throughout the tournament, only on BBC Sounds. Join the lads as they follow the Euros with fellow supporters throughout the tournament. Expect the usual nonsense, guests and insight from across the continent!

Elsewhere, Elis James and John Robins will be on hand every Sunday morning from 10am-midday to offer a light-hearted take on the week's excitement, whilst never getting too bogged down in any deep-dive analysis.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/mediapacks/euro-2020/

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

2 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Baffles me why they persist with Jenas, surely it’s obvious to those in charge as well as us that he’s bloody awful

BBC have definitely decided he’s the guy to mould as the next Lineker, even use him on The One Show. 

Ridiculous really as he’s both embarrassing uninformed and laughably biased. It wouldn’t matter if he was like Lineker or Wright who are biased but in a knowing way and are prepared to criticise their side when they’re bad, but Jenas is like having someone from a FanTV channel on. 

If anyone should be groomed as Lineker's successor, then it's Alex Scott, not Jermaine Jenas.

I agree that Scott is one of the better pundits out there. She is enthusiastic, impartial, doesn't resort to cliches, and while not particularly insightful, she actually does her research (unlike one or two others). But I actually think she'll be much better as a presenter, so I'm very interested to see how she does on Football Focus and A Question of Sport.

In terms of other female pundits, I'm again very surprised that Rachel Brown-Finnis isn't involved. She's very underrated compared to Karen Carney, who just states the bleeding obvious all the time.

ITV's line-up has been announced.

ITV begins its build-up to Euro 2020 with the announcement of its stellar line-up to guide viewers through the tournament and comprehensive coverage plans to bring fans the very best of the action on TV, on demand and online.

Live games and highlights broadcast on ITV and ITV4 and simulcast on ITV Hub will be complemented by a range of content across ITV Football and ITV Sport online and social media platforms to ensure wherever and whenever they are, viewers and fans can immerse themselves in everything that’s happening throughout the tournament. 

Led by main presenters Mark Pougatch and Seema Jaswal, as well as Reshmin Chowdhury, ITV’s Euros squad will offer a wealth of insight, expertise and opinion from a punditry line-up of Ian Wright, Roy Keane, Gary Neville, Patrick Vieira, Graeme Souness, Ashley Cole, Eni Aluko, Robert Earnshaw, Emma Hayes, Nigel de Jong, John Collins, Joe Ledley, Nadia Nadim, Scott Brown and Andros Townsend.

Commentary will come from Sam Matterface, Clive Tyldesley, Joe Speight, Seb Hutchinson and Tom Gayle, supported by co-commentators Lee Dixon, Ally McCoist and John Hartson.

ITV will once again employ a referee analyst with former elite referee Peter Walton on hand to explain and clarify key decisions.

Reporting during the tournament, which is uniquely hosted in 11 cities across the continent, will be Gabriel Clarke, Michelle Owen and Raman Bhardwaj.

ITV will exclusively show 27 live games in a packed schedule beginning with a group stage that includes the two evening England group stage games - the hotly anticipated clash with Scotland at Wembley in a re-match of the memorable Euro 1996 match, as well as the final group match against the Czech Republic.

The first weeks of the Euros on ITV will also bring viewers the showdown between world champions France and Germany, Wales v Italy, Scotland’s final group game v Croatia, current European champions Portugal v Germany as well as matches involving European giants Spain, the Netherlands and many people’s favourites, the star-studded Belgium side.  

Live coverage continues throughout the knock-out stages and ITV also has first pick for the Semi-final stage and will show the Final.

ITV will show highlights of all other games on each match day throughout the tournament, which will also be available on ITV Hub. 

ITV’s Euro 2020 coverage will be available continuously with a range of fresh content, analysis and features available online and on social media.  

The Euros Daily Show will drop every day on ITV Hub, new show Three Lions Raw will offer no filter access highlights of England games on ITV Hub and Youtube, where plenty of Home Nations content can also be found, with extra interviews and features following the fortunes of Scotland, Wales and England.

Match clips from all ITV games will be posted on Twitter, as well as news, highlights and previews on the ITV Football website each day, plus we have new Cartoon Commentary by animator Nick Murray Wallis, which featured in ITV’s Euro 96 Relived coverage during the first 2020 lockdown. 

A new series will take a unique look at classic moments from the archive - reimagining unforgettable events such as Paul Gascoigne’s miss against Germany to show what might have been. 

The ITV Football Football Show podcast will see special guests chat to hosts Mark Pougatch and Andros Townsend in 12 new Euro 2020 episodes. 

And there are plenty of ways for fans and viewers to get involved, including ITV’s Euros Instagram filter and the Ultimate Euros Poll as well as man of the match, goal of the week, player of the week polls on the ITV Football Twitter feed. 

ITV will build the buzz for the tournament from this week, with specially produced new on air Euro 2020 trail, featuring ITV pundit Ian Wright signalling the Good Times Start Here as we count down the days to kick-off. 

ITV will also build up to the Euros with exclusive live coverage of England’s final two pre-tournament matches at home to Austria on 2 June and Romania on 6 June.  A range of specially curated football documentaries will also be scheduled on ITV and ITV 4 and made available on ITV Hub during the build up and throughout the tournament. 

Niall Sloane, ITV Director of Sport, said: “Euro 2020 is a tournament unlike any other and ITV has brought together a uniquely talented team from across football that will offer viewers and fans compelling insight and entertainment we hope will enrich their enjoyment of what promises to be a very special few weeks.  Our live coverage, highlights shows, podcasts, online and social media content, will capture all the action and all the talking points, so fans and viewers can immerse themselves in everything the tournament has to offer throughout Euro 2020 on ITV.” 

Souness :rolleyes:

Edited by CFuller

• Coulthard's Jaw changed the title to Euro 21 on the BBC (and ITV) and ITS LIVE

I never understand how or why Wrighty swaps sides for the England games.

Good to see Michelle Owen being involved (although I thought she would have been on Radio 5)

Commentary wise though, that’s a car crash of epic proportions 

3 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

No Jon Champion :thdn:

That was my first reaction - him and McCoist are sublime on Prime Video.

I guess he's going to be doing ESPN's coverage in the US for this tournament.

I have to agree about ITV's commentary team being very weak, especially without Champion and Drury.

The BBC's commentators take them all to the cleaners. Yes, even Jonathan Pearce and his pointless history lessons. I'd rather have that than Matterface randomly comparing strikers' heights to comedians'.

Edited by CFuller

13 hours ago, HopOnBaby said:

That was my first reaction - him and McCoist are sublime on Prime Video.

I guess he's going to be doing ESPN's coverage in the US for this tournament.

Yes, Champion covering for ESPN, and probably the only decent guy they have. You guys keep whining, but you don't understand how lucky you are. Try watching this on ESPN.

I think I will watch the matches and stick to podcasts for the analysis based on those lineups.

Not having Champion is disappointing but I'm willing to make that sacrifice to not have Peter Drury.

• 2 weeks later...

You know a major tournament is almost upon you when you're rewatching BBC and ITV intros from past events. I thought I'd look back at their opening sequences to every European Championship since my first one in 2000 (I was a bit young for Euro 96, sorry).

EURO 2000

BBC: A classy intro with Andrea Bocelli and some animated table football. A few noticeable landmarks too, but otherwise feels neither Belgian nor Dutch.

ITV: This is the one I really remember as a 10-year-old. Loads of flags and a rousing instrumental, though a bit more chaotic visually. A close-run thing, but I probably prefer this one.

ITV WIN (BBC 0-1 ITV)

EURO 2004

BBC: I LOVE this one. The tournament's biggest stars playing around Portugal's most iconic landmarks to the sound of Basement Jaxx.

ITV: Surprisingly similar to Auntie's effort, with a little more fun and some historic footage... but the music just isn't grabbing me. A resounding win for the BBC.

BBC WIN (BBC 1-1 ITV)

EURO 2008

BBC: Animated cards play football in the Alps, with Mozart providing the soundtrack. Top marks for originality, but Ronaldo's smile just rubs me up the wrong way.

ITV: Sepia-toned, traditional, operatic. Doesn't feel much like a Swiss-Austrian Euros. That said, I probably like this one a bit more than creepy Cristiano.

ITV WIN (BBC 1-2 ITV)

EURO 2012

BBC: Epic sound and animation, though it feels like it's introducing a Game of Thrones knock-off rather than a football tournament. Completely and utterly forgettable.

ITV: Urgh, those melted waxworks make Roy Hodgson really look like a character from Thunderbirds. At least it tells you exactly what it's promoting, so ITV win again... just.

ITV WIN (BBC 1-3 ITV)

EURO 2016

BBC: The Beeb made more of an effort this time. Nice visuals combining action shots with French landmarks, and Izzy Bizu provides the music.

ITV: The soundtrack is top-drawer, the animations ooze sophistication, and all the host cities are represented. It's more Euro 1916 than 2016, but this gets my vote.

ITV WIN (BBC 1-4 ITV)

A few close calls, but for me, ITV tend to produce the better (or at least more memorable) title sequences when it comes to major tournaments. Will this year's efforts follow a similar story, or will the BBC finally hit back after several lean years?

I really like those closing montages too and feel exactly the same way.

The BBC tend to get theirs spot-on for every major sporting event they cover. The ones they made for the last two World Cups are utterly fantastic. My hairs still stick up whenever I hear Rae Morris' "Reborn" from 2018.

20 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I really like those closing montages too and feel exactly the same way.

The BBC tend to get theirs spot-on for every major sporting event they cover. The ones they made for the last two World Cups are utterly fantastic. My hairs still stick up whenever I hear Rae Morris' "Reborn" from 2018.

That new Noel Gallagher track has clearly been written with an England tournament exit in mind. Slow, haunting. Going to be this year’s “Walkaway”. Nailed on to be playing in three weeks over slow-mo footage of footage of a missed penalty or a Tyrone Mings own goal.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

That new Noel Gallagher track has clearly been written with an England tournament exit in mind. Slow, haunting. Going to be this year’s “Walkaway”. Nailed on to be playing in three weeks over slow-mo footage of footage of a missed penalty or a Tyrone Mings own goal.

If that's the one I'm thinking of ("We're On Our Way Now"), then you might be onto something. I really like that track, and I can already imagine it playing on ITV when we inevitably get smashed by Portugal in the last 16.

I understand the BBC have to be careful about how they describe Ryan Giggs' absence, but I'm sure Gary could have come up with a more suitable phrase than "unfortunate circumstances".

35 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Peter Crouch thing is starting now on BBC1. Live show with an offbeat look at matches that have only just finished. I mean when has this ever gone wrong.

Crouchy has potential as an interviewer...lets people talk 👍

Edited by Baptista_8

Felt like I was watching a hammed up version of Soccer AM. I thought it was pretty enjoyable though :D

I like Crouch but I'm not sure he has the charisma to be a great host of a program like that.

20 minutes ago, AM99 said:

Felt like I was watching a hammed up version of Soccer AM. I thought it was pretty enjoyable though :D

I like Crouch but I'm not sure he has the charisma to be a great host of a program like that.

I think you're right on that as a host. I struggle with his podcast at times.