The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

Vikeologist's 1st Folkestone Intake Report

See the source image

20201129134954_1.thumb.jpg.5208fd84a22c3171c4586cecbc2af4fa.jpg

Obviously this couldn’t come soon enough, more for quantity than quality. My backup goalies have been getting a fair amount of outfield action, and frankly they’re utterly rubbish even as goalies. One of them did score a fantastic goal though.

The preview said not to expect too much, but the top 2 tagged players will instantly share first team starts, and quite a few others will go straight on to the subs bench.

Jason Ramsay 1a – I’ll be starting him in midfield along with my 1b. My weakest position was central midfield this year.

I’ll rotate because they’re fairly equal, and there’s no point wearing them out. Also hopefully one will turn out to be better than the other, and hopefully it’s Jason. As we share a surname, I at first thought he might be a son. As it is, I regard him as a little brother, because he certainly is little. Technically good. Thick as ****.

20201129135008_1.thumb.jpg.c449c48fea64e978df44b79bc3c11f03.jpg

Lachlan Cook 1b – A left attacking inverted winger, but he’s right footed.

My starting left winger is also only right footed.

Looking at all these players, it’s like trying to put the pieces of a jigsaw together to form a future team, but when you look at his attributes, Lachlan just looks like he’ll be better off in centre midfield as well.

20201129135016_1.thumb.jpg.6d18999b48ec85556c9da5fd5112ef13.jpg

I’ve offered some kind of contract to all of the intake. I’ve probably offered too many of them part-time contracts. £30 a pop, but it adds up.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South Shields November 1, 2024

1496618154_November12024Table.png.9f5b170f0edc56a84bb269169e77ee84.png1859059754_September-October2024Fixtures.png.b9076bcd29a5ef59b3d32a4b3cea5da4.png

Been a tough two months for South Shields.  Defense continues to be leaky.  Offense is struggling.  Lots of draws and loses with very few wins.  Not in the playoff places for the first time in two years.

1836256501_October12024Mentoring.png.866a1eece53c4bb4e60e22fe69fb292e.png

638853278_November12024Mentoring.png.b29d6af13b9acaf101388c725b174dc6.png

More mixed bag from mentoring but Kevin Baynes has seen his personality go from Fairly Professional to Resolute.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Canet_Roussillon_FC_2019.png

Canet Roussillon FC - 2022/23 Season - Ligue 2

2787e1a7da16fe12256d9cfc32348d15.png

Fixtures 1 - Fixtures 2

Squad

Youth Team Part 1 - Youth Team Part 2 (Apologies, I'm very bad at remembering to screenshot the actual youth intake!)

Discipline Table (I really shouldn't be proud of this...)

So, I said ending up in the relegation playoff (18th) would be classed as a good season. So this is a hell of a good season! We got nearly £1m in gate receipts from a French Cup tie away at Marseille, we spent the last few weeks strolling through the league instead of panicking about relegation and we finish comfortably mid-table. Not too shabby!

Bit of a note - my average attendance is horrific. I'm getting a new stadium, but I'm only filling 23% of my current one with an average attendance of 418. For context, the next most attended team is FC Chambly on 2656. I'm a little concerned about this, but we'll see how it goes over the next couple of years.

bc2f60cabcf11d73a1bb403f86e2b493.png

Vikeologist's 2021/2 Folkestone Season End Report

See the source image

We started well, which was fortunate, because we went downhill through the season.

20201129164535_1.thumb.jpg.c8693c4528af8623be3b239f879381ff.jpg20201129165333_1.thumb.jpg.a8f031ed5ee2be2d28ed465b3be57d26.jpg

We were never in any danger of relegation, but we will be if we repeat our form of the last 75% of this season.

After the youth intake, I started the top 2 and my subs bench was pretty much entirely youth. It went about as well as one would expect, but hopefully the experience will pay benefits next season.

I have a lot of veteran players I can cut loose now, but it might be best to keep them around on case the boat needs steadying next season. I don’t pay them anything if they don’t play, but I suspect some of them are not great for squad harmony.

20201129164658_1.thumb.jpg.fccdc34441cf4d3f58d6c82f1e79c6ab.jpg

Top Goalscorer - David Smith – 31

Our top 2 strikers basically have the position all to themselves. My other striker, Heard, scored 26.

Smith is only 22, so if I can keep him around, he could rack up quite  lot of goals for us over the next 10 years.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – Callum Davies – 7.33

A central defender.

He’s not very happy at the club, so one of the most important things to do the next half season is change that so he signs a new contract.

Man of The MatchCallum Davies - 5

Most Valuable Player– Callum Davies

My goalie is pretty important too.

20201129165603_1.thumb.jpg.c7c042170c8a9b4c492fde0d312660d6.jpg

Season	Division		Position	Notes							MVP										
21/22	VNL South		18th		Steered clear of relegaton thanks to good start.	Callum Davies

35 minutes ago, witticism said:

I'd pick Andréa Meyer, ambitious is a beneficial personality for your prospects to have, and has better attributes.

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Agreed.

Only issue I have with Meyer would be his preferred formation - not many wingers coming through with him so depends on what formation @Cheez3y wants to play. I like Manu as an option but that's just my thinking. 

39 minutes ago, witticism said:

I'd pick Andréa Meyer, ambitious is a beneficial personality for your prospects to have, and has better attributes.

6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Only issue I have with Meyer would be his preferred formation - not many wingers coming through with him so depends on what formation @Cheez3y wants to play. I like Manu as an option but that's just my thinking. 

Thanks for your answers.

Meyer would fit perfect, since Im using a 4312/41212 formation.

But for some reason, he doesnt want to sign a contract but he applied for the job. :D

10 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Yeah fair point, if @Cheez3y plays a wide man game then I think Manu is the option that suits him best but overall I'd go with Meyer. 

Edit: Just seen the above post. 

Edited by craigcwwe

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah fair point, if @Cheez3y plays a wide man game then I think Manu is the option that suits him best but overall I'd go with Meyer. 

Edit: Just seen the above post. 

Yeah, my thinking is that in early season's you're never going to get a perfect fit for what is a key role in this challenge so I will always go for personality and style of play/formation over attributes, again though that's just me, I'm sure people who have actually done well in this have different views :D 

I don't think I'm gonna have any staff matching my formation, which is shockingly working wonders for me right now.

624795371_StevieHammellSmaller.png.f5be2217c894c68aaadae75abc697eda.png

I've also found an incredible Head of Youth Development in Stevie Hammell, where the formation being a 4-2-3-1 and him not knowing Italy would be an only concern for me, he's also got a reserved media handling style.

1306428306_MatteoAndreettoSmaller.png.f5df2c7b990ef8da063c24422192db10.png

Though compared to my current Head of Youth Development who has a professional personality and the same formation preference as Hammell, but has a preference of Route One football, it's not much of a difference. He has a reserved media handling style, where he likes to play mind games.

Who would be the better Head of Youth Development? Hammell for his personality, or Andreetto for his familiarity of Italy?

AS Rodos - 2023 Youth Intake

5573.png.d55de19ff3a76ecc26e8ab1ff9c9952c.png

My new HOYD's first batch of youngsters. Sadly his Perfectionist personality is nowhere to be seen with possibly the most unambitious group of footballers ever seen in one intake. Luckily for him (and his job) he's given me two potential stars, one who will go straight into the team at the start of next season.

490679216_Screenshot2020-11-29at18_25_39.thumb.png.574d671481e7ca2d432526073732e10c.png

Mulaj is already better than my starting left back, he'll be straight in the first team and in with the main mentoring group to try and improve that personality.

307695203_Screenshot2020-11-29at18_26_31.thumb.png.da4d336a25d19aba4e475fdd27432d88.png

Mantikos needs a little more work and just about all of my best players are wingers, but with them all hitting 30 at the same time he'll definitely be in and around the team sooner rather than later.

789756977_Screenshot2020-11-29at18_26_36.thumb.png.a519b7a7edec37965d805ca7a4e00b6a.png

1 hour ago, Anners said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Canet_Roussillon_FC_2019.png

Canet Roussillon FC - 2022/23 Season - Ligue 2

2787e1a7da16fe12256d9cfc32348d15.png

Fixtures 1 - Fixtures 2

Squad

Youth Team Part 1 - Youth Team Part 2 (Apologies, I'm very bad at remembering to screenshot the actual youth intake!)

Discipline Table (I really shouldn't be proud of this...)

So, I said ending up in the relegation playoff (18th) would be classed as a good season. So this is a hell of a good season! We got nearly £1m in gate receipts from a French Cup tie away at Marseille, we spent the last few weeks strolling through the league instead of panicking about relegation and we finish comfortably mid-table. Not too shabby!

Bit of a note - my average attendance is horrific. I'm getting a new stadium, but I'm only filling 23% of my current one with an average attendance of 418. For context, the next most attended team is FC Chambly on 2656. I'm a little concerned about this, but we'll see how it goes over the next couple of years.

bc2f60cabcf11d73a1bb403f86e2b493.png

Damn.. Nice logo :D 

1 hour ago, Cheez3y said:

Sadly I need a new HoYD.

I cant decide which one to take, any thoughts?

https://i.gyazo.com/2712e4eece0099f14032b22980464b8e.png

https://i.gyazo.com/3d400f5262df82494e93f6edbf3e77c1.png

https://i.gyazo.com/3dc530d817f3abbb195789bc39fa6b52.png

A. Meyer!

12 minutes ago, JLAB said:

I don't think I'm gonna have any staff matching my formation, which is shockingly working wonders for me right now.

624795371_StevieHammellSmaller.png.f5be2217c894c68aaadae75abc697eda.png

I've also found an incredible Head of Youth Development in Stevie Hammell, where the formation being a 4-2-3-1 and him not knowing Italy would be an only concern for me, he's also got a reserved media handling style.

1306428306_MatteoAndreettoSmaller.png.f5df2c7b990ef8da063c24422192db10.png

Though compared to my current Head of Youth Development who has a professional personality and the same formation preference as Hammell, but has a preference of Route One football, it's not much of a difference. He has a reserved media handling style, where he likes to play mind games.

Who would be the better Head of Youth Development? Hammell for his personality, or Andreetto for his familiarity of Italy?

I would go with personality any day!

Hi guys. Have any of you noticed that you are not getting a full squad of players with newly promoted teams even with the 'generate players for playable teams' option ticked?

[Edit]

I've just seen from the opening post that you dont actually have that option ticked in your games. Maybe its counter-productive and that's where I'm going wrong  

Edited by Jimbokav1971

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hi guys. Have any of you noticed that you are not getting a full squad of players with newly promoted teams even with the 'generate players for playable teams' option ticked?

Doubt it, since the challenge rules says to untick it! ;) 

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

[Edit]

I've just seen from the opening post that you dont actually have that option ticked in your games. Maybe its counter-productive and that's where I'm going wrong  

You can add players from the league that will promote to your bottom division under the advanced setup options. Its recommended in the OP. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I've just noticed that actually. Thanks. That might go a long way to explaining a few things. Thanks. 👍

No worries, we rather suggest that people add the players from the league below the playable ones to help out in filling squads. With various luck, depending on nation.

edit: @dervinus beat me to it.

Edited by XaW

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I've just noticed that actually. Thanks. That might go a long way to explaining a few things. Thanks. 👍

One thing I've done this save is actually load all players based in England and even then I still had a few teams that only had a handful of players and lots of 16/17 year olds come up. 

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

Doubt it, since the challenge rules says to untick it! ;) 

11 minutes ago, dervinus said:

You can add players from the league that will promote to your bottom division under the advanced setup options. Its recommended in the OP. 

9 minutes ago, XaW said:

No worries, we rather suggest that people add the players from the league below the playable ones to help out in filling squads. With various luck, depending on nation.

edit: @dervinus beat me to it.

8 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

One thing I've done this save is actually load all players based in England and even then I still had a few teams that only had a handful of players and lots of 16/17 year olds come up. 

Cheers lads. Really appreciate the responses. I wasn't planning on posting updates in here so didn't pay too much attention to the rules, (and in any case I broke them by using the Editor to boost the reputation to get R&D FC promoted before reducing it again). 

I had ticked "generate players for playable teams" and was surprised that I only got 11 players, (0 central midfielders and 1 striker). and none of them were real players. Couldn't understand it until I was just prompted to look at the opening post properly. (It would seem it's there for a reason). :lol:

Anyway, thanks again, I might have another go at the set-up of my game. :thup:

13 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Cheers lads. Really appreciate the responses. I wasn't planning on posting updates in here so didn't pay too much attention to the rules, (and in any case I broke them by using the Editor to boost the reputation to get R&D FC promoted before reducing it again). 

I had ticked "generate players for playable teams" and was surprised that I only got 11 players, (0 central midfielders and 1 striker). and none of them were real players. Couldn't understand it until I was just prompted to look at the opening post properly. (It would seem it's there for a reason). :lol:

Anyway, thanks again, I might have another go at the set-up of my game. :thup:

No worries mate, I follow both yours and @_Ben_threads closely due to the nature of them and have learnt a hell of a lot so even if either of you aren't following the rules of this challenge I'm sure any input/questions/discussions about youth development would be more than welcome in here. 

Edited by darren1983

800px-Logo_FC_Carl_Zeiss_Jena_svg.png.0b5428d60e87a27490d4e37c863e62cd.png

Make East Germany proud!

Season 2021/22 Review

514893458_Screenshot(147).thumb.png.1aeeaa6ac6ccbe2a15fbb4d765f92b9d.png

To sum it up: 

We got promoted to second division in the first try!

3. Liga Review

Spoiler

Preview

Final Standings

Key Moments

Best Eleven

Key Players

Spoiler

League Top Performer

Set Piece King

Offensive Key

Key Youth Prospects

Spoiler

Braveheart

Braveheart's Brother

Youth Intake

Spoiler

Youth Intake

2 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Had this kid come through during the holiday season

404345464_VictorIbrahim_Profile.thumb.png.102a1ae60476bb2bc23766e215f2e598.png

Already attracting interest from National league clubs, trying to sort a deal that gives us 50% of any future sale right now but I'd prefer to keep him obviously 

No one bid enough for him so we kept him for now, already the youngest player ever for the club and in his 2nd game he popped up with a 90th minute winner - I love this kid already :D 

SANREMESE CALCIO SEASON REVIEW 2021-2022

Expected Finish - 20th

Final Position - 12th

Wow what a whirlwhind of a first season in Italy. Italian-American manager Vincenzo Sabbiadini went into Serie C with his trusty right hand man, former USA/Fulham Hero Brian Mcbride, and things exploded. We set a record for goals scored in the league with 90, on the back of league top scorer Giacomo Romano, who scored 32 goals in 38 games. Unfortunately, we also set a record for goals conceded with 98!!! Our defense was absolutely helpless. 

spacer.png

Our youth intake was touted as a Golden Generation, and we have some good personalities overall. Unfortunately, the quality of the players doesn't look great. 

Probably the pick of the bunch was central midfielder Chervyakov, who I could see getting some important minutes. Unfortunately no great defenders or goalkeepers, which is what we need most!

Goal for next season is to once again shoot for mid-table and hopefully concede less goals than I score! Romano has one year left on his contract so its going to be imperative to extend him. 

1 minute ago, dervinus said:

SANREMESE CALCIO SEASON REVIEW 2021-2022

Expected Finish - 20th

Final Position - 12th

Wow what a whirlwhind of a first season in Italy. Italian-American manager Vincenzo Sabbiadini went into Serie C with his trusty right hand man, former USA/Fulham Hero Brian Mcbride, and things exploded. We set a record for goals scored in the league with 90, on the back of league top scorer Giacomo Romano, who scored 32 goals in 38 games. Unfortunately, we also set a record for goals conceded with 98!!! Our defense was absolutely helpless. 

spacer.png

Our youth intake was touted as a Golden Generation, and we have some good personalities overall. Unfortunately, the quality of the players doesn't look great. 

Probably the pick of the bunch was central midfielder Chervyakov, who I could see getting some important minutes. Unfortunately no great defenders or goalkeepers, which is what we need most!

Goal for next season is to once again shoot for mid-table and hopefully concede less goals than I score! Romano has one year left on his contract so its going to be imperative to extend him. 

Every game must have been a goal fest and a half if there was 188 goals in just the 38 matches you were a part of. Goodness.

351833666_NewContract.png.819e4c69c30b884b638c8fb08aac32ab.png

We are only in September and the board have decided to offer me a brand new contract when I had to wait until after the season had finished for my contract to be renewed last season. We've been having a pretty good start to the season so far this season.

22 minutes ago, JLAB said:

Every game must have been a goal fest and a half if there was 188 goals in just the 38 matches you were a part of. Goodness.

Yes it was a wild season. Here are some of my fixtures as an example, include an 8-2 win, 4-7 loss, 4-5 loss haha.

spacer.png

Edited by dervinus

1 hour ago, darren1983 said:

No worries mate, I follow both yours and @_Ben_threads closely due to the nature of them and have learnt a hell of a lot so even if either of you aren't following the rules of this challenge I'm sure any input/questions/discussions about youth development would be more than welcome in here. 

Thank you! I must say, if you're following my Redditch thread, I'm doing just about the worst I could do so - I've played one academy player in eight seasons (and he was already at the club). Hopefully, that'll change though.

292.png.4c891fb1b5daa772f7e684e39580c77a.png

Royal Excelsior Virton - Season 2022/23

https://i.gyazo.com/801f5b04f8c79f90b7b814c1afebe585.png

https://i.gyazo.com/b9c52f2860c1a5346e5793d5cd274537.png 

https://i.gyazo.com/c00118a69c2cc0664bde5617f0fcd326.png

Next affiliate.

https://i.gyazo.com/88209cba96fc842865fc2494e901784b.png

https://i.gyazo.com/2a166d2cf393ed884a62565f39905e86.png

Finished the regular season behind the Brugge youth team.

https://i.gyazo.com/73003c0d6cc943fa8aaf66536902fa4e.png

https://i.gyazo.com/1649b0fb6681a766734049bae511d266.png

https://i.gyazo.com/fe78a8c1c2d55ba9181327bf207344ba.png

It all went down to the last game of the season.

We went 0:1 down in the first half.

In the halftime I thrown some water bottles and the lads turned the game.

Awards

Spoiler

https://i.gyazo.com/ea53c9f227b801f852425faf6b735e78.png

https://i.gyazo.com/a7a75e0e081dc924e9de15a0727edd0b.png

https://i.gyazo.com/d2aec2a295c01ac04dd2d8d560b2426f.png

https://i.gyazo.com/8690803a78ae44c4b4b257ba712b698e.png

https://i.gyazo.com/2f5d7c6394f783bc295ee4edd34f0052.png

https://i.gyazo.com/652ddc54c455e0e5a1e75cd2b20594af.png

https://i.gyazo.com/7da764fe71317e904f5c9f5c4a3b9794.png

https://i.gyazo.com/dba84a45f27581ed371036ca68dc06c7.png

Now the hard part comes, staying up in tier 2.