The FM21 Youth Academy Challenge

1293879331_RacingMechelen.png.5b26acfae34121b0939d1a97ebc80bde.png

Racing Mechelen - Season 2026-2027 - 1th Amateur (3th division)

Predicted: 15th

Final position: 5th

The first half of the season wasn't that good. We only won 3 games and were flirting with the relegation spots. But our second part of the season was much better. We even had 4 wins in a row. At the end of the season we finished in an incredible 5th place. This second part of the season is hopefully the first step in our development. We had some very good games, and when I had a better start we could have finished in the play-offs. Virton @Cheez3y was a class above everybody else this season. They won the promotion play-offs with ease, but also their U21 and U18 won the league. I'm pretty sure they will be in the 1th division in a couple of season. They have the money and facilities.

Our striker Dean Doncos was crowned as topscorer this season. An incredible achievement.

Ad we also had the best youngster of the league. He has the French Nationality and is called up for the WC under 20.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: the 5th round was our end station this year. Just like 2 years ago RWDM was to stronge for us.

Youth intake: We had a good preview, and again they promised a good GK. The intake itself was very good, and we have 1 stand-out player. 

Onur Bilgin (YP3a): ST. What a player. He played in 2 friendlies after the season and he scored 6 goals.

Azzedine Bouguelmouna (YP3b): MR, will be retrained as AMR

Peter Peeters (YP3c): AMC

Glen Lenaerts (YP3d): DL

Transfers: None

Finances: Terrible. Every season our finances become more red. The biggest problem at the moment is keeping our staff, or bringing in better staff. They almost want to double their wages every season, and we can't do this.

For next season I just hope to get a mid-table finish. The reason for this is that we have to replace our long serving GK who will turn 38 and is getting to old. And I'm not sure that my youngsters are ready for first team football.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South Shields January 1, 2025 Review

641729716_January12025Table.png.43d1a627d84d7157c4ac96005fb36caf.png1628220976_November-December2024Fixtures.png.0616eba33428205a6f689b44bf609004.png

Eight matches in December and just two wins, three ties and three 1-0 losses so I guess that's an improvement over our normal defensive woes in multiple match weeks.  I think the problem is our semi-professional status.  In some of these weeks, we don't even have a practice between games.  That's making live hard.  We need to be a professional club.

1305970261_2025YouthIntakePreview.png.a1c056cbdc78593cfe55308fb2e631be.png

A promising looking center back.  Top prospect in the midfield.  Large number of full-backs.  These are all good things and what this club needs out of the academy right now.

10 hours ago, Cheez3y said:

292.png.4c891fb1b5daa772f7e684e39580c77a.png

https://i.gyazo.com/3a91bd6e1877ba762e07ea441d262181.png

Next affiliate.

@Cheez3y:  Please, don't take my youngsters. I need them. :)

I think this is one of the best affilialtes that you could have, as we have one of the best youth facilities of the country in the game.

AS Rodos - 2022/23 Season Review

1417983349_Screenshot2020-11-29at19_39_32.thumb.png.027782d12e5e7238c952644bcbd270ba.png

We were third for almost all the season, after 19 games ourselves, Lariasas & Doxos Dramas were all level on 38 points. We only took 8 points from our last 7 games, with me putting in more youngsters for the last couple of games when it became clear we weren't going to keep pace with the top two.

1597303021_Screenshot2020-11-29at21_21_46.thumb.png.e26a8d4aad065fcfa2a971efa6a6c785.png

A better run this year beating two lower league sides before top flight side Lamia dispatched with us relative ease.

1442707407_Screenshot2020-11-29at19_38_53.thumb.png.3927eeb52c2e667e62b93c7885c4b980.png

2131810709_Screenshot2020-11-29at19_39_17.thumb.png.6e1a3c1164af0add4e6c520db5a6099d.png

1442290922_Screenshot2020-11-29at19_39_07.thumb.png.3857675bf64cbd2c56d775ab4818b773.png

As I mentioned in a earlier post Arkolous ended up being the pick of my first intake despite looking unremarkable at first. His pace and ability to finish is invaluable at this level. Nikitaris is now showing as 5* potential and according to my assistant can be a star at the top level in Greece. 

Next Season 

My second intake was much more promising, I'll be looking to get 2 or possibly 3 players involved with the first team from the start of next season. I'm still working (slowly) on improving the awful personalities I've been getting through my intakes with the few decent mentors I have. It may still be a little too soon for promotion, it was alarming to see last season's runaway champions Larisa finish bottom of the top division and come back down, emphasising the gulf between the two divisions. Money is still a real issue and we're no 800k in the red, there's very little money at this level and I don't see any improvement financially without either promotion or a takeover.

4 minutes ago, gadedk said:

Damn.. I just get my 3 YI and was very happy having many 2,5+ players and then you show me this?!

Sorry, my previous ones were not anywhere near this, so I got a bit excited!

3 season done
Overall a good season with a 6 place in the league. Like a said in a comment yesterday, now the goal for the next season has to be for the number 1 spot. I really need to get up to the second league. In January i lost my captain and left back Julius Ovoke S1C and my best player Carlos Lima S2C :(
But.. The good news is that i got almost 3M € for both+ 50% of their next sales. The money is well spend to upgrade YR and YC and going pro, so i can sign longere contract and maybe keep my players longere.
1608822359_Skrmbillede2020-11-29kl_23_09_21.thumb.png.e0a493bf8b6539163e99bcfcc1bfd64d.png
1356855100_Skrmbillede2020-11-29kl_23_34_35.thumb.png.ad518db1644fc739ac46fa879880aa86.png
233864679_Skrmbillede2020-11-29kl_23_37_19.png.362812437a391ae2bfa3c0cfec41482a.png Our new captain and right back, Ribeiro is the new leader on caps, while Pereira is still topscorer.

227916205_Skrmbillede2020-11-29kl_21_53_32.thumb.png.275f0191973db37f74066519e0e2021f.png

Wow.. What more can you ask? A really nice YI, no one really stands on yet, but many new players are going straight in to the first team next season for sure. 

Just a quick question for everyone that managed in England and doing this challenge. Don't your seasons take long ? I'm enjoying my save in Iceland and the league is really fast (but 4 months between the seasons doing.. nothing is not enjoyable ). i'm going to continue at the moment in Iceland but isn't the league in England (fa cup and Fa trophy adding a lot more games) very long ? 46 games , a lot of cup games.. if i play all those games myself( no instant result) it would take me two weeks i'm afraid.

Edited by OlivierL

12 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Just a quick question for everyone that managed in England and doing this challenge. Don't your seasons take long ? I'm enjoying my save in Iceland and the league is really fast (but 4 months between the seasons doing.. nothing is not enjoyable ). i'm going to continue at the moment in Iceland but isn't the league in England (fa cup and Fa trophy adding a lot more games) very long ? 46 games , a lot of cup games.. if i play all those games myself( no instant result) it would take me two weeks i'm afraid.

Yea it definitely takes a long time for some of those English seasons. In the past I have definitely preferred doing the challenge in leagues with shorter schedules like you in Iceland. 

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you! I must say, if you're following my Redditch thread, I'm doing just about the worst I could do so - I've played one academy player in eight seasons (and he was already at the club). Hopefully, that'll change though.

Yeah you might not be doing by the rules here (probably because you don't hate yourself - I'm starting to think that's the key to try this in England :D) but it's still a great read, your threads last year really did make me rethink a lot of what I do and I took lots of those thoughts into my save last year and again this year so if anything I should be saying thanks to you! 

1 hour ago, OlivierL said:

Yep, it's a slog. Last year I did 22 or 23 years at FC United, played every single game, didn't even holiday between them but I'm starting to think I'm somewhat of a masochistic for always trying to do this in England :D 

1475917244_pastpositions2.PNG.06f214be168e241bacb4173341b2ad04.PNG

On The Pitch - League Table
The expected struggle.  We finished 9th, thanks in large part to the struggles of 3 teams in our league and when you only have 2 relegation spots, that helps!  Surprisingly we finished 3rd top scorers, but not surprisingly we did concede the most goals.
By the end of the season we were tinkering a little too much trying to find form, and when you add in the fact we were playing between 9 to 11 academy products from the past 3 years I guess inconsistency should not be a surprise!
TNS went the Welsh season unbeaten in the league, winning the League Cup but getting bounced in the semi finals of the Welsh Cup.  Truly dominant right now.

Off The Pitch
We saw three news items during the year for academy products being poached!
I started my continental A licence and Leo Needs 02A played our first youth international game, for the Wales u18s.

Youth Intake - screenshot
Much better this time around!  Although quite what is making Monmouth a GK factory is beyond me!  4 highly rated and tagged GKs in our first 3 intakes....  Personalities were a lot kinder to us this year as well.
Darren Moss 03A - I like the look of this kid.  Straight into the first team with his current ability and a decent set of starting attributes to back him up.
Russell Cooper 03B - A professional and highly rated GK!  Jumps the queue and goes straight into the first choice keeper slot.
Kristian Elliott 03C - A left back who is not too dissimilar to 03A at right back, just slightly lower current ability.  Will probably start on the bench next year, but he is backing up someone who can play and covers DC and DR as well, so I expect he will see plenty of minutes.
Miles Feeley 03D - A left footed right winger, but given my current set up I think I will be playing him out on the left where he has some experience already

Squad Stats

Transfers

The big news the day after the season has ended is the new stadium.  The board has announced we are building and will move into a new 16,681 stadium!
For comparison, here are the current stadia for the 12 Cymru Premier teams right now.  Anything look amiss?  Build it and they will come?
Initial thoughts are this is great for long term (although no-one is ever going to use that stadium to its maximum potential in Wales!), but then you see 50k monthly repayments for the next 25 years!!!!!
We are financially ruined, and in year 3 of my current 5 year plan is "Repair the clubs financial damage".  This feels like a death sentence, even though the financial side is all on the board (as long as I keep within my budgets they set me - I am).

11 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

1293879331_RacingMechelen.png.5b26acfae34121b0939d1a97ebc80bde.png

Racing Mechelen - Season 2026-2027 - 1th Amateur (3th division)

Predicted: 15th

Final position: 5th

The first half of the season wasn't that good. We only won 3 games and were flirting with the relegation spots. But our second part of the season was much better. We even had 4 wins in a row. At the end of the season we finished in an incredible 5th place. This second part of the season is hopefully the first step in our development. We had some very good games, and when I had a better start we could have finished in the play-offs. Virton @Cheez3y was a class above everybody else this season. They won the promotion play-offs with ease, but also their U21 and U18 won the league. I'm pretty sure they will be in the 1th division in a couple of season. They have the money and facilities.

Our striker Dean Doncos was crowned as topscorer this season. An incredible achievement.

Ad we also had the best youngster of the league. He has the French Nationality and is called up for the WC under 20.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: the 5th round was our end station this year. Just like 2 years ago RWDM was to stronge for us.

Youth intake: We had a good preview, and again they promised a good GK. The intake itself was very good, and we have 1 stand-out player. 

Onur Bilgin (YP3a): ST. What a player. He played in 2 friendlies after the season and he scored 6 goals.

Azzedine Bouguelmouna (YP3b): MR, will be retrained as AMR

Peter Peeters (YP3c): AMC

Glen Lenaerts (YP3d): DL

Transfers: None

Finances: Terrible. Every season our finances become more red. The biggest problem at the moment is keeping our staff, or bringing in better staff. They almost want to double their wages every season, and we can't do this.

For next season I just hope to get a mid-table finish. The reason for this is that we have to replace our long serving GK who will turn 38 and is getting to old. And I'm not sure that my youngsters are ready for first team football.

11 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

@Cheez3y:  Please, don't take my youngsters. I need them. :)

I think this is one of the best affilialtes that you could have, as we have one of the best youth facilities of the country in the game.

Good luck with Mechelen!

spacer.png

Season 2022-23 - 11th Place

e2701de44a699a2d2c96d3701ba6c8f4.png

How I lined Up

0bfa9c7238c7e1d734c33ed0e4871806.png

Transfers

7de04062e9ab4891e9e489fbe1088678.png

Youth Intake

Very bad personalities, and I had a "balanced" HOYD.  Now I got this new one with a Fairly Professional personality and started changing my staff to be Professional too hopefully will make a difference

f136bc02aebdd60014884d4788315507.png

Youth Candidates

0e08daed14794f8b8e328d4089fedc8a.png

600ceff6a4163a40716792d79c14047d.png

9283e831e937345d05a0977b36c9dd07.png

952360176ed1f8640c001137cf154181.png

c1413952692fe58e151751d9f5aacc90.png

12 hours ago, OlivierL said:

I can do a season a day but I am working from home and have FM on personal laptop

21 minutes ago, Padders said:

I can do a season a day but I am working from home and have FM on personal laptop

Yes i know but u are also holidaying during the weeks ? right ? That could help but i would fear that i miss something. Even in Iceland save, i can't holiday between 25 september and the end of december (end of squad break) .

The Stourbridge Town Save is over! The lack of any notable newgen defenders(left backs, rights backs or decent centre halves) caught up to us. We can't defend and teams have figured out our only way of scoring is on the break so they're completely destroying us now. 18 lost in a row!

Can't even bring myself to finish the Save as we did have a prospect at CB coming through reportedly. To be honest i wasn't sure how i would progress long term anyway with the club. Need to have a rethink about who's next.

I have a question for you all.  Has anyone ever been sacked because you ran the club in huge debits?  I am predicted to be in the red of 2m in the forthcoming seasons, and I cannot imagine I would be able to sell players worth 2m or more, having my best player just nicked for 35K.  So if there is no takeover, and the directors do not pump money into the club, I am doomed right?  At least until I can reach Europe.

1262979513_MatthewMondello_Profile.thumb.png.d077223aa520326dd1cba1d948d93acc.png

Excited to give this a shot. Was tough to choose between Legnano, Trento or one of the Messina clubs. Love the lilac kits though.

9 games into my first season and struggling. Only won a single game, and no draws.

Really struggling to get my fullbacks to perform. Getting very low ratings from them. Tried to find out why and noticed this issue:

Wonder if anyone else has had noticed anything similar?

37 minutes ago, jmonfu said:

I have a question for you all.  Has anyone ever been sacked because you ran the club in huge debits?  I am predicted to be in the red of 2m in the forthcoming seasons, and I cannot imagine I would be able to sell players worth 2m or more, having my best player just nicked for 35K.  So if there is no takeover, and the directors do not pump money into the club, I am doomed right?  At least until I can reach Europe.

It'll be a struggle but I can't remember seeing anyone being sacked over debt, usually the game will right itself and sort a takeover, it will obviously make it even harder to get any upgrades while in debt though which will mean the quality of players coming through probably won't be good enough to sell on for huge money to get you out of it. 

On 27/11/2020 at 22:16, Padders said:

Check my effort on FM20, took 150 years to win PL and a further 100 years to win Champions League

Yeah I saw that! Fair play! It was a bit of an unfair offload of a post on my behalf. It wasn't driven by your acheivement at all, in fact if anything that is muc more like what I would expect it to take. It was more the leaderboard and those who completed it in a couple of decades seemed to jar something in me into commenting. But as I said, not really fair, it's each person's own race to run. 

On 27/11/2020 at 12:46, thomas_e said:

Nothing like being accused of cheating on a Friday afternoon! 

On a serious note, when you ask if people are cheating in one way or another I personally have to give an answer as I have completed the challenge three times, more than anyone else, so I guess your accusation is targeted towards me more than anyone else. That is not bragging by the way, as I play in big nations and I do think it's impossible to complete the challenge in Norway or Iceland (I really, really hope I'm proven wrong on this!). I tried the challenge in Croatia, and even though I won the league I deemed it to be impossible to complete the challenge as the board sold my best players and I couldn't do anything about it. 

From FM18 i've only played challenges and from FM19/20 only this challenge. Doing "random" saves isn't fun anymore as I really enjoy having a set of goals/rules defined by a moderator/user, and I absolutely LOVE the challenge community. Reading updates from the others users here (no one mentioned no one forgotten) is honestly just as fun as playing myself. Especially in the first couple of months after release when people are just getting started. And reading about the struggles is often the most fun as people are describing it really funny. I do not have any stronger moral compass than the average person, but I simply don't want to fool the other people on this forum, and receive praise when doing well, and then sitting by myself and re-loading saves if I lose a game. That is the best answer I can give, I simply dont re-load games and I don't know how to use the editor (never seen or used it). 

You ask this question, and it's a valid one: "Maybe people aren't save re-loading for games, but not even when a player gets approached or wants to leave and you wish you'd negotiated a new contract earlier?"

The thing is, this isn't a big problem on this challenge if you play in the bigger leagues. Playing in Croatia it was and I lost my best players every year to Liverpool. But on FM you can usually sign 4-5 year contracts, but you can add clauses to the contracts giving you the possibility to extend it with 3 years (sometimes less). This gives you in effect 7-8 year long contracts and if you know when to renew contracts with players (team being in good form, not close to a transfer window, moral etc.) you usually get the chance to pin them down for a new deal in good time before it expires. When I play this challenge, maybe except for my current save as my finances are crap, I usually renew contracts when players have less than 3 years left on their deal. I don't wait until they are one or two years away. And when you are in the top leagues, wage budget isn't a problem as with no transfer expenditure you have so much money. In my Cottbus save on FM20 I think I had £500 million in the bank, and when I played with South Shields my best defender was the best paid player in the world, by a good margin. I have lost my best player twice on contracts that have expired, once with Real Jean (FM19) and one player after the first season with Cottbus (FM20). Both those losses hit me hard (had to change tactics completely with Real Jean), but it's not a big issue IF you do contract negotiations right that is. Sometimes the board will sell players without asking you. That is a little bit down to good or bad luck I think, but when you get to the top leagues it's not an issue. 

You apologised in advance for the cynisism of your question, so I will do the same for what might seem arrogant in what i'm about to say (I dont mean it in an arrogant way). When I read the general discussion and tactics forum, a large number of FM users (and people on this webiste are probably the core users) don't seem to be great at this game. So yes, for people (not targeted at you) struggling to get results with top teams in top leagues, this challenge is probably a waste of time and it would be impossible for them to complete it. Not because they are playing the game wrong, but they are playing a different game. I would guess that the challenge section attracts people who are looking for an actual challenge. Several of us who have completed this challenge have also completed other challenges, such as the Dafuge's challenge. 

Doing the Youth Academy challenge is a very different way of playing the game. First of all it's a lot more tactical. You actually have to build a tactic that suits your players, not a plug-and-play tactic. The vast majority on this site all claim to be building tactics themselves, but taking a look at FMscout.com, they have tactics in the download sections that have been downloaded 20 000 times on FM21 alone! The users doing this are wasting their time playing this challenge IMO. I also see people on the discussion forums that talk about player development, but there seems to very much a  laissez-faire mentality when approaching youth development. Not focusing on mentoring, sending players out on loan when they are too young, not re-training them well enough etc. When doing the Youth Academy challenge you have to consider facilities, affiliated clubs, geographical location of the club (underrated IMO), city size etc. etc. And the detail that we put into personality types is something that many users can learn from, people are seeing themselves blind on numbers alone. 

This was a long answer from me, but I do feel the need to defend the users on this challenge (yes, myself included). People can cheat all they want, but I don't think people would bother playing this challenge if cheating was the goal. Part of the joy is the misery.

By the way, I started this challenge with Taranto in Serie D straight after the beta release. I had high hopes but it went absolutely shockingly bad and I left the save. I would have gotten relegated or fired. So it's not all success stories. 

I hope to complete my ongoing challenge in Argentina in as few years as possible and then I want to try the challenge again in a smaller nation (maybe my native Norway). Then the challenge turns into a different animal, where winning the CL isn't really the goal. But in my other saves I've only had one goal in my mind: Get my name on the Hall of Fame, in as few seasons as possible, as many times as possible. That is probably a different approach than many other users have. And I think thats great! 

Thanks for the comprehensive response! It wasn't really a fair post on my behalf, it was a bit reactionary after being really impressed with the challenge, but then reading the leaderboard and being like, what? No way... 

But like you say, that could be down to managing youth development in a way I haven't yet been able to achieve and/or a host of other factors I am yet to learn. 

I certainly didn't intend to accuse everyone on the challenge of cheating but my post might have come across that way so sorry for that. There are clearly those who take a very long approach to the challenge and I can imagine that being a massively rewarding thing to do. I only really do medium/long saves myself (30+ years), but not tried this one yet. I still think the idea that it could be completed in a couple of decades is unlikely but that is the magic of the game and football itself, unlikely things happen all the time...

Thanks again for the response.

On 27/11/2020 at 13:03, jmonfu said:

You are also forgetting players like me, who, although would be nice to win the challenge, do it purely for the fun of it.  My goal this FM is to take a team in every country possible and once I get sacked I move to another country.  This gives me the possibility to manage in many countries I have never managed before.  I have done the dafuge challenge before (FM15), and although not easy does not compare slightly to this challenge.  You cannot go search for the ideal player to slot in your wingback position.  Your goalie retired and you only have a 16 year old graduate, you have to put him in the line of fire and hope for the best! 

I have been playing FM since the old CM series, however this challenge is completely different.  You have to come up with tactics to suit your players, you have to monitor the youth intake to see which players you think will make it (and I am still learning how to judge that), and I do not even take control of training yet because I have no clue so I leave that to my assistants, apart from individual training which I take care of. 

And for me its not about winning the challenge, but the "unknown experience" that goes with this challenge. Will I get sacked?  Will I survive the first few seasons.  And beleive me, winning that promotion when you know you have done everything possible to get to that is immense. 

And I am starting the learn also that the community in this forum is class, ready to help each other which is another plus.

Thanks for the response, hope you have read some of my other replies which I think expand a little on what I meant. First off apologies for any misunderstanding and accusatory statements, in general it was a bad post from me. 

I wasn't forgetting players like you.. in fact you were the type of player I was specifically thinking of when the leaderboard thing jarred so much with me. It seems to me the challenge would take a very long time so the completions in a couple of decades almost seemed a slight on people like you. But being offended on other peoples behalf is not something I value at all so I was wrong there.

As others have pointed out to me these results could be achievable with more dedication to youth development and perhaps some other techniques these players have managed to master more than myself. 

1 hour ago, darren1983 said:

It'll be a struggle but I can't remember seeing anyone being sacked over debt, usually the game will right itself and sort a takeover, it will obviously make it even harder to get any upgrades while in debt though which will mean the quality of players coming through probably won't be good enough to sell on for huge money to get you out of it. 

Not only not being upgraded but the facilities are downgrading with the lack of money.  Since I took over, I have not received any improvment, being facilities, junior coaching, coaching badges, none.  And they reduced my wage for the second season!

26 minutes ago, Caning the Days said:

Thanks for the response, hope you have read some of my other replies which I think expand a little on what I meant. First off apologies for any misunderstanding and accusatory statements, in general it was a bad post from me. 

I wasn't forgetting players like you.. in fact you were the type of player I was specifically thinking of when the leaderboard thing jarred so much with me. It seems to me the challenge would take a very long time so the completions in a couple of decades almost seemed a slight on people like you. But being offended on other peoples behalf is not something I value at all so I was wrong there.

As others have pointed out to me these results could be achievable with more dedication to youth development and perhaps some other techniques these players have managed to master more than myself. 

None taken mate.  TBH, I used to think the same before spending some time in this forum, how can anyone achieve this in 25-30 seasons.  But then you start reading some of these posts, and you start understanding how they do it. I have learned more on player personalities and youth development in this year than I have in the 20 odd years I have been playing.  You can also see from the leaderboard that this has only been achieved in the big countries where there is big money.