Poll: How do you play the game tactically?

Tactics: Your own, download, SI-presets, assistant manager?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. How do you primarily play the game tactically

• Doing my own
    • Download
    • SI-Presets
    • Assistant Manager takes over
    • Other: Specify

I'm surprised how few have voted for the download so far. Then again, if you'd conduct this on FMBase or FMScout say, things may look a little different. 

This is an anonymous poll, and I made it that way on purpose. It is well documented how many shy away from playing FM Classic / Touch as they deem the game to be "beneath them". I figured similar line of thought may apply here as well. After all, if you're primarily downloading, you rely on other people's ideas, rather than your own.

What I am not surprised by is how few so far leave the match managementn to the assistant manager, as imo it's a very undercooked area of the game that could be so much more interesting.

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, Svenc said:

I'm surprised how few have voted for the download so far. Then again, if you'd conduct this on FMBase or FMScout say, things may look a little different. 

You explained it right there. This site frowns upon downloads (despite that section being very lively), so when someone says he has problems after a new patch with this tactic he downloaded, everyone jumps at him to point out those tactic are based on exploits which are probably patched, everyone is pointed to the tactical forum for help, there are a few smug replies etc. If you posed the same question on FM Base et al, you'd get suggested other downloadable tactics, the author of that particular tactics might say he's tweaking it for the new patch etc. In other words, it's an entirely different discussion.

What's more, vast majority of people I know who play FM just download one of the highly rated tactics and never read, let alone post anything on such forums, just a classic hit and run. If you included those in a poll, the results might be even more different.

In the past I've developed my own with some downloads but this year as an extra challenge I've decided to stick with the SI presets and it's actually making the game much more of an enjoyable challenge and far harder to dominate. They work much more effectively than I had expected but still use tweaks in-game sometimes, mainly when holding a narrow lead.

I create my own tactics.
I start off with a formation and tweak it until i see the kind of football i want. I try to keep it that way with as few changes as possible.
Team instructions aren't many and is something i adjust depending on the team and players i have.
I also try to tweak during matches depending on the opposition and how the game develops.
All that while trying to stay true to what i created first and was happy with. I prefer to trust the strength of my own team and tactics rather than making big changes match-per-match.

17 hours ago, Mitja said:

Does AI "make" their own or uses presets? Id really like to know that.

The pre-sets help the AI probably, but the AI also makes dynamic changes, like it always does. That's actually one of my criticism as of those pre-sets. Realistically, the "Possession" preset for instance should hardcore for their to be at least one centre mid staying deeperish, and a couple advanced players encouraged to link-up with midfield. Else, it would destroy the purpose of the pre-set.

I try to make my own because it makes me more likely to try and adapt it. If I download one I feel like the tactic is already finished and expect it to work, whereas with my own I'm starting from the basics so am more inclined to change things up. Still on FM18 but alternating between a 4-2-3-1 and a 5-1-2-2 DM WB right now, loving it

I only ever do tactics on my own.

To me, it´s a huge part of the fun of playing FM/FMT. I have a preferred style of football, a kind of philosophy, if you will, and I try to implement that as best I can. I could never download a tactic and just be done with it, it just wouldn´t feel right, all the more so as many of those tactics seem to simply exploit certain aspects of the ME. Although I do respect if people prefer it that way, to each their own.

I start with implementing the basic layout, then I usually try to finetune my ideas over the course of preseason so I can enter the first competitive matches with a tactical setup that is founded on the football I want to see my team play, although some adjustments may be necessary depending on the players at my disposal. Then over the course of the season, I try to spot any possible issues during matches and make minor tweaks accordingly, no drastic changes though. This approach usually works for me.

On 14/12/2019 at 07:29, Svenc said:

It is well documented how many shy away from playing FM Classic / Touch as they deem the game to be "beneath them".

Apparently, this really seems to be the case, something I will probably never understand. It is the same game after all, simply made a bit more streamlined by the omission of certain aspects that many seem to find tedious and non-impactful anyway. But again, to each their own :) .

On 14/12/2019 at 07:29, Svenc said:

What I am not surprised by is how few so far leave the match managementn to the assistant manager, as imo it's a very undercooked area of the game that could be so much more interesting.

At this point I feel like the assistant manager and his "tactical advice" mainly serves as a source of entertainment.

Edited by Jasonxx

On 14/12/2019 at 11:53, shirajzl said:

so when someone says he has problems after a new patch with this tactic he downloaded, everyone jumps at him to point out those tactic are based on exploits which are probably patched, everyone is pointed to the tactical forum for help

To be fair, this is almost certainly correct. I find it very interesting to follow the tactical trends over the course of time with the download forum. I am firmly of the opinion that it is ultimately better to learn how to build your own tactics, make good decisions, and play the game this way. It gives a much more rewarding experience. I used to be in the download camp, so I know the view from both sides. Having said that, if someone wants to download a tactic and use it, I have zero issues with that. Your game, your rules. However if someone posts for tactical help here, they are of course going to get advice on how to build their own tactic.

2 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

However if someone posts for tactical help here, they are of course going to get advice on how to build their own tactic.

I would smake a distinction here. There's been great  threads trying to realistically replicate Zidane's Real Madrid side (tactical download attached). The fear of the patch, whcih also for reason exists amongst users and providers, is caused by something else. There is a reason for that naturally. Testing hours for "super tactics" for instance means attempting to break the ME/AI. Of Course if a patch breaks that, and if by chance, that is massively frustration. And angst. The entire point of the game how it's set up now is that you wouldn't need to spend hours on tactics. Even though the game still hasn't got a tactical assistant proper who could be of use/help. FM assumes all Football Managers are tactical experts, and want to be, when the likes of Rijkaard and similar never were (so looked for helping Hands).

I'm still surprised by the results so far. This place has had similar polls in the past, and they were never near as one-sided AFAIR. However, some also date back to the slider years, and during those getting to grips with it all was way more difficult. There's been so much feedback added, as well as pre-sets, etc. During the slider era, it was well recorded that many switched to the download out of sheer frustration at how ambiguous it all was. That said, I personally don't think the tactical Gameplay/UI is where it Needs to be -- also for the AI's sake. :D

Edited by Svenc

9 minuti fa, Svenc ha scritto:

I'm still surprised by the results so far. This place has had similar polls in the past, and they were never near as one-sided AFAIR. However, some also date back to the slider years, and during those getting to grips with it all was way more difficult. There's been so much feedback added, as well as pre-sets, etc. During the slider era, it was well recorded that many switched to the download out of sheer frustration at how ambiguous it all was.

might be that userbase on the forums has changed. SI is more present on social media, social media are much more spread and popular than forums ever were, all this (and many other things) probably lead to a point where these forums are a home to the hard core bunch while others spread to other sources. Might be completely wrong as well :D 

Just now, MBarbaric said:

might be that userbase on the forums has changed. SI is more present on social media, social media are much more spread and popular than forums ever were, all this (and many other things) probably lead to a point where these forums are a home to the hard core bunch while others spread to other sources. Might be completely wrong as well :D 

Yeah, good Point. Traditional Forums have been on the decline ever since in general.... Even the biggies as to FM, such as FMBase aren't near what they used to be in Terms of traffic. This should be better asked on SI's Twitter. :D 

14 hours ago, Svenc said:

FM assumes all Football Managers are tactical experts

All games punish you for not understanding their core mechanics, though. Part of the gaming experience is learning those mechanics. Or cheesing them. The former is what I do for every game I play. I have zero issue if you do the latter (unless it is being bragged about, then it is just irritating). It is the same in most games. Take the total war franchise. Players are generally split between those who build their armies based on how they want to fight a battle, and those who want to exploit the auto-resolve feature by making armies that are not balanced at all, but score highly in autoresolve. One understands the core of the game, one understands how to exploit it. Both enjoy their game time.

I also reject the entire notion of having one perfect tactic for every situation anyway. This is not how football works in real life or in game. But that is a different argument. 

My own.

Good old 4-1-4-1 wide with two centre midfielders on attack duty & wide lads on support to come back & get their shape. Short passing, possession based with high press, or low line with medium press & higher tempo. Nothing fancy, does the job. Don't do opposition instructions.

i shamelessly download them. i've always been much more interested in the actual team building and development aspect rather than the match itself. And I am also not very tactically savvy as I am a relatively new fan. One day I hope to know enough to do my own, but I can't stand the thought of being sacked because I stuck with my own tactics lol

Particularly when playing as an LLM, or in a country I don't know the players of, I'll workout what's the best formation/tactics to suit the players I have. Usually start with a preset but then always tweak and adapt it accordingly.

With Liverpool, I always try and replicate as accurately as possible their real life tactics and way of playing.

Edited by diddydaddydoddy

In every FM, I make a crazy Roger Schmidt banzai type tactic.  Usually 4-4-2 (or 4-4-2 D6), I score a lot and concede a lot and shoot from distance.  This is my aesthetic.  No emphasis on possession or passing.  Just get the ball, get it forward, shoot at first opportunity, immediately press upon losing possession, repeat.

I used to rely heavily on downloaded tactics like 6-7 years ago... but as I grew older I just started to enjoy the tactics more and now I never download tactics. I might re-use a tactic from a save to another that has been succesful that I created myself, but mainly I try to create a new tactic every new team I play. 

For example, I had a very succesful 4-3-3 on FM19 that won me quite a few trophies with inferior teams, and I tried it out on the beta on FM20 just to se how it worked, and after winning the league the first year with both Atalanta and Arsenal, I just scrapped it.