Russia vs Egypt - BBC1 19:00: Return of the Mo

Heartwork

Kick off in 55 minutes. Salah will feature for Egypt who desparately need a win after their disappointing opening round defeat against Uruguay late on in the game. Russia will be on a high after their resounding 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egypt are winning this. 

Is Dzagoev out for the whole tournament for Russia?  Looked pretty terminal when he wobbled off last week holding his hamstring but I've not seen anyone confirm that he's out altogether for the whole thing.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Reading loads of comments saying Russia are through if they win: they aren't. 

Could still have Russia, Egypt and Uruguay all finishing on six points if the other results play out that way.

Really? Egypt are currently on 0. If they lose, they'll have played two of three games with 0 points. If they beat Saudi Arabia they'll get 3 points. Where will the other 3 come from?

Just now, Heartwork said:

Really? Egypt are currently on 0. If they lose, they'll have played two of three games with 0 points. If they beat Saudi Arabia they'll get 3 points. Where will the other 3 come from?

Russia, Saudi and Uruguay all on six I mean not Russia, Egypt and Uruguay.

Russia bt Egypt tonight

Saudi bt Uruguay

Uruguay bt Russia, Saudi bt Egypt

Would have Egypt on 0 and everyone else on 6.  So even if they win tonight, Russia would be not be through until tomorrow and only then if Uruguay avoid defeat.

Yeah, just annoys me when people trot out this lazy "two wins means you're through" logic.  This only works once one of the other games in the group has been drawn.  Equally two defeats doesn't mean you're out unless there has been a draw in the group... without a draw elsewhere the teams can finish 9-3-3-3.  If you remember back to 2014 England weren't 100% out after their second defeat, we had to wait until the following day to see if Costa Rica dropped points before we knew.

slightly off topic but is it me or is the World Cup intro for BBC really poor?

it looks as if they spent £5 on it

nothing on genius like this :( or the 1990 one with Pavarotti

I'm predicting a 1-1 draw.

5 minutes ago, TM said:

slightly off topic but is it me or is the World Cup intro for BBC really poor?

it looks as if they spent £5 on it

It's shockingly poor. I honestly don't think they've had a good intro (or at least a better one than ITV) since 2006.

ITV's titles make you feel like you're witnessing a Russian World Cup. The BBC's make you feel like you're watching the Confederations Cup on CBBC.

58 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Kick off in 55 minutes. Salah will feature for Egypt who desparately need a win after their disappointing opening round defeat against Uruguay late on in the game. Russia will be on a high after their resounding 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia.

C'mon Russia!

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

There is only one Trezeguet.

The name is stupid - one thing is having a nickname like that on your Sunday league team, but using it officially at a World Cup is just daft :D  

But if you see past that, he's actually been a quite decent player

2 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Salahs holding back a lot. Shouldn’t be playing really.

Yep.

Peripheral figure. Looks like he's deliberately avoiding any sort of physical risk. Shame really.

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Shocked by how bad the supply to Salah is, outright ignoring their only threat :D

Well he's not exactly offering for the ball by hiding out on the right touchline. 

I think it's obvious his own team mates know he's buggered and aren't really expecting him to contribute

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Now Pearce has been talking about Peter the Great and the chess player Boris Spassky. To be fair, he knows more about them than he does goal-line technology.

Looking forward to his second half dissertation on the Winter War, Mannerheim line, and Stalin's Red Army Purges of the late 1930's

9 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Radamel Falcao was named after Falcão by his parents. Trezeguet is just a nickname...

Nothing beats Egypt's Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim Soliman who uses the nickname Kahraba (electricity in Arabic) on his shirt. Think he's on the bench today.

Archived