Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

The good thing is, if Martial can do that regularly then defences will be afraid of him and will have to adapt against us, hopefully freeing up our midfield to get more chances. Hopefully I'm not jinxing things. It's only one goal so far. But the style of it was most hopeful.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did youse not see the penner he scored all of five days ago then?

Ssshhhh. Don't mention anything good Rooney does; that's not allowed. He's a pub player on massive wages with the first touch of a concrete wall, who can't score in a brothel and will just fanny about looking dazed and confused.

Ssshhhh. Don't mention anything good Rooney does; that's not allowed. He's a pub player on massive wages with the first touch of a concrete wall, who can't score in a brothel and will just fanny about looking dazed and confused.

That is true though :D

Rooney's pen against Switzerland was pretty poor. He got away with it because of the power, but the height was right in the danger zone where the keeper can fairly easily get to it. Could see him bricking it though whilst he was waiting, wouldn't have surprised me if he'd missed. Needs to hit a corner, not halfway in between.

Been afk since Friday due to heading across country to a friends wedding, so first of all... de Gea has signed a new contract, get in!!! Pretty sure he will still go next summer, but at least we'll get a decent fee in for him, and will have ample time to find a fully suitable replacement.

Secondly. Due to the aforementioned wedding, the match was missed. It is always worse to miss a match we win, even more so against Liverpool, as it would have been a delight to watch, but delighted with the result so I'll happily miss games if this is the end product. Recorded the match on the off chance I managed to go the weekend without finding out the result, but it was inevitable, so will shortly FF through it and watch the goals.

As I haven't the time to sit and read through 3 pages, would folks kindly give some sense of how good we were, regardless of result. Were we awesome? Lucky? Boring? etc... Were there any standout individuals? Any useless performances?

Just watched the goals. Nicely worked FK for Blind. Obvious penalty for Herrera's. And nicely taken goal for Martial.

Must say Herrera pussied out for Benteke's goal. Completely turns his back, covers his head, screws his face up like the worst thing in the world is aimed at his face and he wasn't even that close to Benteke when he started to turn away. Then had the audacity to claim for a high boot. Maybe if he had actually gone in for the header or been within a few yards of him at least he may have got somewhere, but he was never going to get a freekick for a high boot when he was nowhere near Benteke :D

Been afk since Friday due to heading across country to a friends wedding, so first of all... de Gea has signed a new contract, get in!!! Pretty sure he will still go next summer, but at least we'll get a decent fee in for him, and will have ample time to find a fully suitable replacement.

Secondly. Due to the aforementioned wedding, the match was missed. It is always worse to miss a match we win, even more so against Liverpool, as it would have been a delight to watch, but delighted with the result so I'll happily miss games if this is the end product. Recorded the match on the off chance I managed to go the weekend without finding out the result, but it was inevitable, so will shortly FF through it and watch the goals.

As I haven't the time to sit and read through 3 pages, would folks kindly give some sense of how good we were, regardless of result. Were we awesome? Lucky? Boring? etc... Were there any standout individuals? Any useless performances?

First half was horribly boring. United in total control, Liverpool sat deep, but we didn't create s***. Memphis tried at least, but nothing came off, and he was subbed at half-time for Young. Young is instantly fouled for a freekick, which we score from. This probably changes the dynamic of the match, and Liverpool can't sit quite as deep any more, probably giving us some more room. Second half is much better as a result. Shaw was great, Blind and Smalling solid at the back (Blind with a double save on the line-ish). DDG made a few good saves. Schweinsteiger and Carrick bossed the midfield, and as usual Carrick has some sweeeeet first touch throughpasses, including one over the top to Darmian on the right that we almost scored from. Herrera is fouled down for a penner, and he takes it himself. His was a controlled penner, but when Rooney did the same he was lucky to score. Go figure. Benteke with a wonder goal, and 2 minutes later Martial scores a worldie as well.

Terribly sleep inducing first half for the neutrals (non neutrals too), but the game opened up a bit more in the second half. Liverpool are s***, they really are. I wager if a SAF team came up against such a lousy Liverpool team, they'd be looking at a very tough loss.

Or maybe a 1-0 win, with us biting our fingernails the last 15 minutes when we sit back and try to defend the lead.... :D Actually, a 2-1 win would be more likely. Liverpool score 1-1 with a few minutes left, before we score the winner in the 92nd. :lol:

It can still be an awful penalty, you utter plank :D

If you hit a penalty that the goalkeeper doesn't save and it goes in the net its a good penalty. The only way it is a bad penalty is if it doesn't result in a goal. Doesn't have to be well hit to hit he back of the net :p

Blatantly wrong. You do when they should save them, same as any other shot.
That's not true though, is it? If it's a **** penalty then of course you can blame the keeper for not saving a pen. If a keeper goes the wrong way for every penalty in a shoot-out you should be worried.

Let it go, he's just not worth it :D

A keeper will never be blamed for not saving a pen like a player for missing one.

I can't understand how anyone can be unhappy with a penalty scored by their team.

A keeper won't but at times they certainly should.

Nobody is unhappy with the fact a goal was scored. Literally nobody. Ever. You've got that part right.

The penalty can still be god awful. If that happens once, nobody cares. But when it happens repeatedly, of course you're going to care because it increases the probability of the penalties being missed. Or in the case of Rooney, he's missed a lot already

every keeper is different, some keepers are better at saving certain types of pens than others and vice versa. A pen is good if the player's shot beats the keeper he is up against IMO.

I don't think Rooney or even Messi is a particular good pen taker (look at their records) but they certainly have taken plenty of good ones, but plenty of bad ones as well.

Think of Zidane's pen in the 2006, it was a good pen but at inch higher it would have been very bad, very fine margins in football between good and bad.

Absolutely love beating Liverpool! Although, it didn't really feel like United v Liverpool during the game, that Liverpool team just has no fight in them at all.

Delighted for Martial, glad he managed to get a goal that will get people off his back for a little while, nothing better than scoring on your debut v Liverpool. He took it extremely well too, we could have a real good player on our hands.

Good to see DDG back, whenever the ball went back to him I had no worries at all, I was constantly worrying everytime Romero had the ball at his feet. DDG made one mistake where he tried to throw the ball out quickly and then the poor kick, but other than that, great to have him back.

Schweinsteiger was brilliant and he played the full game. Hopefully we'll get to see more of the quality that we all know he can produce.

Smalling and Shaw great again. I really like out back 4 now. With a new CB partner for Smalling it really can be a great defence.

de gea's been better than courtois for a good two years at least now, no worries.

And its been close because Courtois has played behind the best defence while DDG has had to put up with our shambles :D

Archived