First FM15 feature revealed: Twitch Integration

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I wasn't really convinced but then I realized that there are so many possibilities with this feature.

If tactical masters like Cleon, llama3‎, jpcote09 or wwfan would stream, I wouldn't hesitate to watch it.

In an ideal world it could revolutionize the tactical learning process!

At first I wasn't really convinced but then I realized that there are so many possibilities with this feature.

If tactical masters like Cleon, llama3‎, jpcote09 or wwfan would stream, I wouldn't hesitate to watch it.

In an ideal world it could revolutionize the tactical learning process!

It is indeed a good point. Something I hadn't initially thought of. The guides are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but seeing someone step through it visually in-game would help people massively.

I suppose though, couldn't this be done now anyway without Twitch?

It is indeed a good point. Something I hadn't initially thought of. The guides are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but seeing someone step through it visually in-game would help people massively.

I suppose though, couldn't this be done now anyway without Twitch?

Exactly. The one thing it adds is that I believe it can be done in real time, so whoever it was demonstrating could answer questions as they go. Whether that's something anyone would be willing to do on a long-term basis is another question altogether.

Absolutely wrong.

People watch Youtube and Twitch streams to either:

1.) Help them judge whether the game is worth buying instead of trusting reviewers

2.) For entertainment. Games like GTA are great to watch if there is a good group of people playing them

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean you have to belittle others who do. I personally don't watch FM on Youtube or Twitch but there are great tutorial videos and experiments out there which are incredibly helpful and interesting. But whatever, we'll just keep being weird :rolleyes:

I didn't belittle anyone by saying it seems weird to me or saying YouTube and Facebook are pointless to me.

But you saying I'm absolutely wrong for having an opinion is wrong. Kind of ironic.

What a useless first feature....

People already stream Football Manager on Twitch and they don't get many viewers as it is overall rather boring to watch.

You don't need a feature in the game to do it for you, there is software out there that is very easy to use.

Why waste time adding this?

Just an observation here. I find it funny how some players are backing up this Twitch thing despite the fact that the vast majority of players will never even touch it, but when a group of users keeps asking about a possibilty to play the game as a chairman, the main argument was "don't implement that, because I have no intention of playing it that way".

It's important to note that I highly doubt there was a massive amount of dev work put into this. Twitch will have their APIs, so it would just be a matter of hooking into them, presumably, and then testing extensively. So I doubt this has taken a massive chunk out of potential new feature/bug fixing time.

Just an observation here. I find it funny how some players are backing up this Twitch thing despite the fact that the vast majority of players will never even touch it, but when a group of users keeps asking about a possibilty to play the game as a chairman, the main argument was "don't implement that, because I have no intention of playing it that way".

The main difference being, no-one asked for Twitch integration I don't think, and SI are adding it. The chairman idea was put to the community, and they mostly hated it. Completely different situations. If Si went ahead and put your feature in, you'd probably get the same reaction.

It's a "bonus" feature. Why does it upset people so much? The actual features will be announced later, 7th October it seems. I'll wait until then.

Bit unfortunate to pick a trivial 'bonus' feature as the first thing to announce.

Many people are eagerly anticipating the new game, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that some are let down when this is the first thing they find out about.

Counting down to October 7th, I'm sure all the small frustrations will be smoothed over.

Sorry but the first reveal is appaling. How will this improve the game?

As much as anything, the reveal of this yesterday was just to create awareness that if you want to see the new features on October 7th, you can see them first on Twitch. It was an apt moment to also mention that there will be Twitch functionality in the game. What's the big deal? It isn't being marketed as the major new feature.

I don't go on other games forums, but if they're all like this one, then the gaming world is overwhelmingly populated by a bunch of miserable sods.

If people are still miserable after the 7th, then there will perhaps be more justification to complain, but to overreact about this is a bit Kevin The Teenager.

All Twitch represents is a different medium for distributing the new feature video in the short-term. It in no way will deflect development resource from the game itself, so to imply otherwise just isn't necessary thanks.

These things are planned, designed, built, integrated and tested by fairies are they? Even a simple thing takes a lot of man hours to build - trust me I do that job for a living.

All those man hours could be spent actually implementing some of the feedback that the forum users have taken their own time to provide.

So implying that there's been no development resource involved in implementing this "feature" is quite patronising and quite simply wrong, thanks.

Looking at all the reaction in here to one little thing that has been announced, (it's not even an actual feature, just a wee bonus for those who want stream stuff more or whatever, (I'm not even sure to be honest)), I'm thrilled that I'll be away on October 7th so I won't have to witness all the nonsense that will be posted when new/improved features are announced.

Christ almighty you'd think that they'd announced that they'll only be an instant result option from now on or something daft like that.

These things are planned, designed, built, integrated and tested by fairies are they?

SI will have tools programmers and such, their reason for being part of the company is to work on things like twitch integration.

The main difference being, no-one asked for Twitch integration I don't think, and SI are adding it. The chairman idea was put to the community, and they mostly hated it. Completely different situations. If Si went ahead and put your feature in, you'd probably get the same reaction.

I know, you're right. Although I personally never asked or wanted the "play as the chairman option", I just find it really funny how the community completely shuts down their own, when they're asking for a feature that wouldn't hurt anybody and would be optional, yet it uses that same argument when the game developer announces a feature that will be touched by even less users than the chairman gameplay would be. A bit hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, enough of this offtopic. Back to the point.

This feature has a lot of potential I believe, tutorials and help with video and audio beats a mile long dry text version of it every time.

These things are planned, designed, built, integrated and tested by fairies are they? Even a simple thing takes a lot of man hours to build - trust me I do that job for a living.

All those man hours could be spent actually implementing some of the feedback that the forum users have taken their own time to provide.

So implying that there's been no development resource involved in implementing this "feature" is quite patronising and quite simply wrong, thanks.

And in the grand scheme of things, compared to most tasks for FM15, this will be trivial. There's an API there, so it won't have been built from the ground app to suit FM. Yes, there were resources working on this (or probably resource, singular) in development, but it's incredibly simplistic to say that if they weren't on this, they'd automatically slot in to something else. Also quite interesting that you post advising someone not to be patronising while doing just that yourself.

Looking at all the reaction in here to one little thing that has been announced, (it's not even an actual feature, just a wee bonus for those who want stream stuff more or whatever, (I'm not even sure to be honest)), I'm thrilled that I'll be away on October 7th so I won't have to witness all the nonsense that will be posted when new/improved features are announced.

Christ almighty you'd think that they'd announced that they'll only be an instant result option from now on or something daft like that.

Aww come on Tom, this time of year is the most fun of all! Don't head to the bunker! :p

My point was that the likes of the ME and UI teams won't have had to be involved with this, which is why I specifically said:

"It in no way will deflect development resource from the game itself."

I shall endeavour to be even more specific in future.

Well.. If the likes of Cleon & other tactic gurus make some videos on tactics etc, I might watch

Otherwise I don't think so.

This :thup:

Never heard of it before, and the first few posts on this thread left me seriously uncurious, but I would be very interested in listening to Cleon, wwfan etc commentating on a certain tactic, explaining what they're looking out for etc. E.g. showing in real time how a rigid and fluid philosophy differ.

I know, but the biggest tactical gurus seem reluctant to use youtube, maybe this thing would have more appeal for them.

It still won't change much on this front. The biggest obstacle is making it much more user friendly to export clips, highlights, goals and so on without the need of external software to be able to do these things and at a much faster speed.

I know, but the biggest tactical gurus seem reluctant to use youtube, maybe this thing would have more appeal for them.

I said some time ago that the best way for this would be to have say wwfan for example go through all the different tactics and explain how the different things in tactics work, then have the videos be part of the actual game.

Basically once you start the game you can watch the videos and listen to the guys explain everything to you.

As Cleon said there then is no need to use other 3rd party sites and software.

I am really surprised this has never been added to the game but all types of social media seem to get focused on.

It still won't change much on this front. The biggest obstacle is making it much more user friendly to export clips, highlights, goals and so on without the need of external software to be able to do these things and at a much faster speed.

Given the direction FM has been going, it would surprise me if there hasn't been some development on that front. It certainly does seem to be one of the areas they have brought to the fore in recent years.

Having said that, I love daylight's suggestion.

So in short almost nobody cares but those that do care do so because it allows tactical guru's to share their knowledge.

Exactly as they do in the tactics forum already. But with videos.

Exactly as you could have on Youtube. Or DailyMotion. Or or or.

Ahhhh, but we can see how the changes affect the match in real-time.

Except the match engine and a tactic cannot be judged on a single game, but rather dozens of games over a long period when we isolate form, injury, morale and the tactics of the opposition.

/negativity

Just hurry up with some feature announcements that will actually benefit the FM userbase :)

except Cleon in 57 seems to give off a "really can't be bothered with that" vibe

FM personally doesn't have that vibe (new multiplayer features maybe? a player vs player exhibition? or even a "your best team" vs "my best team") that means it'd be an interesting long-term watch

think it'd be nice to see some videos posted on it, to give those people a honest review of the game (especially if they're in 2 minds about getting it) or to provide some easy-way of transmitting some tidbits about the game (biweekly tactic-visual discussion or whatever)

and it'd be nice that all confirmed features (given that it basically has been by mods) are placed into one location, rather than trawling through the forums (even if it is just a sticky with links to features)

except Cleon in 57 seems to give off a "really can't be bothered with that" vibe

FM personally doesn't have that vibe (new multiplayer features maybe? a player vs player exhibition? or even a "your best team" vs "my best team")

I forget what new multiplayer features were available for FM14- something to do with exporting teams, I think? Not a side of the game I've ever looked into.

But playing live games PvP with people watching on Twitch could be interesting if you could get some kind of ongoing competition organised. I'm thinking back to the old FML World Cup competitions we used to run- I think at one point we had about 13 participants watching one of the finals, and popping in and out of group games was not uncommon.

You've made me slightly more interested (assuming, of course, your post doesn't get zapped for speculation).

Maybe it is time for a thread asking SI to make a video of say wwfan and Cleon for example talking about tactics and how everything works, then maybe a video of them playing the game together and chatting about their different choices, showing how they deal with in game situations such as losing runs and losing games when they were 3-0 up, again these are just examples.

Then having the finished videos be part of the game, players can then learn where they are going wrong or indeed at the very least go into the game with much better knowledge of what they are doing, no need to visit 3rd party sites, learn the game from the game.

Surely this has to be a better idea than asking players to search through other social media sites.

I might look into using twitch, I already do for Diablo, Warcraft, Destiny and a few other games. However doing it with FM would be boring for those watching me as a lot of what I do is just instinct these days. It's only when I'm doing a thread or want to highlight something particular than I then break down what happened and explained it. While playing I just whizz through the seasons with as little effort as possible, I'm not sure how that would help anyone or show them much. You can't really do that in real time.

I'm thinking back to the old FML World Cup competitions we used to run- I think at one point we had about 13 participants watching one of the finals, and popping in and out of group games was not uncommon.

I think the peak of audience was reached during a Gold Cup final... around 30 people watching the game. But this comparison can't stand.

I want to back a post I read earlier: I find pointless to criticize this Twitch option added to the game. I mean.. if the game disappoint you greatly, if it enrages you, if it's totally broken and unplayable, full of bugs, crashing all the time... you are entitled to complain. "Hey you added a Twitch option but the game is broken!". But at this point? It's just "something more", just like the youtube link or the facebook link, nothing else. I feel like we're spending too much time over this topic for something we never seen yet, never tried yet, and not full understood its purpose and potentiality yet.

Real time viewing does have its place, maybe the likes of DOTA 2, CS, as Cleon said Diablo I have watched but FM?

Watching players going through press conferences, going through the backroom staff meetings, maybe the odd 1 or 2 starting to cry as news comes through their top striker is out for 8 months? yeah not so much.

Maybe it is time for a thread asking SI to make a video of say wwfan and Cleon for example talking about tactics and how everything works, then maybe a video of them playing the game together and chatting about their different choices, showing how they deal with in game situations such as losing runs and losing games when they were 3-0 up, again these are just examples.

Then having the finished videos be part of the game, players can then learn where they are going wrong or indeed at the very least go into the game with much better knowledge of what they are doing, no need to visit 3rd party sites, learn the game from the game.

Surely this has to be a better idea than asking players to search through other social media sites.

Surely there are far too many variables, too many different tactical instructions and in-game situations to put into a video. This is why the forums exist, to help cover as many bases as possible.

Personally I'd much prefer to read a thread written by Cleon, with detailed analysis and pictures/videos with arrows and information, than to watch a video of Cleon playing the game.

Another risk is that some FMers will see this video within FM of Cleon/wwfan making a tactical adjustment to turn a game around and assume that this particular tactical adjustment will work for them every single time and start complaining on the forums that the in-game advice doesn't work!

I don't see it like that at all Kenco.

It would be there as a helping hand in understanding the tactics and why some choices should not be made if others are in place, I don't think it should be seen as an IWIN button.

I was more thinking along the lines of an edited video of them playing the game with some helpful insights into the game and how they approach different in game situations, no 2 games of FM are the same but learning the basics of the tactics with some useful tips would always be welcomed no?

I also think it would be very interesting to have say wwfan and Cleon in an edited video playing the game and discussing tactics and their own personal choices for any given situation, I think it could be very good as I am sure they may have a different opinion on a few points.

If something like that is every announced for FM in the future then that 1 feature would actually be enough for me to preorder the game.

At any rate watching an edited video of those guys giving an understanding into the tactics and sharing some tips is far better than watching some guy play the game in real time trying to do the same.

Surely there are far too many variables, too many different tactical instructions and in-game situations to put into a video. This is why the forums exist, to help cover as many bases as possible.

Personally I'd much prefer to read a thread written by Cleon, with detailed analysis and pictures/videos with arrows and information, than to watch a video of Cleon playing the game.

Another risk is that some FMers will see this video within FM of Cleon/wwfan making a tactical adjustment to turn a game around and assume that this particular tactical adjustment will work for them every single time and start complaining on the forums that the in-game advice doesn't work!

I think more like "an idiots guide to...." would be better

describing a specific role, why you're using it, and then some examples of them in that role (maybe post-season stats)

-Enganche

An Enganche is blah blah blah, similar to the likes of Player X in real life

The best use of an enganche would be in scenario A

I am using it in my side because of.... XYZ

and here is a few clips of his highlights (a perfectly weighted through ball in the 90th minute for the striker to tuck away)

and here's his post-season stats (poor stamina but played in every game? loads of chances created? high passing figures)

but then I'm failing to see why that would be relevant for twitch over something like youtube (more of a livestreaming site than a video storage)

especially considering how slow-paced FM is (seriously, a match on key highlights takes around 5-10 minutes, not exactly riveting viewing if you have no vested interest)

I think more like "an idiots guide to...." would be better

describing a specific role, why you're using it, and then some examples of them in that role (maybe post-season stats)

-Enganche

An Enganche is blah blah blah, similar to the likes of Player X in real life

The best use of an enganche would be in scenario A

I am using it in my side because of.... XYZ

and here is a few clips of his highlights (a perfectly weighted through ball in the 90th minute for the striker to tuck away)

and here's his post-season stats (poor stamina but played in every game? loads of chances created? high passing figures)

but then I'm failing to see why that would be relevant for twitch over something like youtube (more of a livestreaming site than a video storage)

especially considering how slow-paced FM is (seriously, a match on key highlights takes around 5-10 minutes, not exactly riveting viewing if you have no vested interest)

I've done lots of posts like that already with the videos and reasoning's for using them as have many others.

exactly my point cleon

but what I'm asking is how is that relevant for something like a live-streaming site like twitch, over say a video storage site like youtube (which you have already put videos on to, as well as already having integration with)

I'm really thinking there's a big twitch-centric feature that's being held back here

otherwise it's a poor feature (probably not intended as a big feature, i do admit), and I can't see too many people tuning in to a slow-paced FM game

it's got me excited about October 7th now, so I guess it's done it's job

and D_J, it can double-up as an archive for videos (or streams)... I was mainly focused on the "Live Q&A" aspect

I'd love to watch some of the more infamous "bad" players to see exactly what they do in match. You know the ones I mean: "But I get 50 shots per game, I should win EVERYTHING!"

That'll be my new line in the tactics forum. Instead of saying upload a PKM, it'll be 'Stream on Twitch' so I can see what you're doing wrong :D

That'll be my new line in the tactics forum. Instead of saying upload a PKM, it'll be 'Stream on Twitch' so I can see what you're doing wrong :D

Actually - that's not a bad idea at all is it?

Saves users the faff of uploading a .pkm somewhere and others from the (minor) faff of downloading it and viewing it.

You could also watch a match live to not only see the initial set up, but the match management of the player.

Hmmm.

Actually - that's not a bad idea at all is it?

Saves users the faff of uploading a .pkm somewhere and others from the (minor) faff of downloading it and viewing it.

You could also watch a match live to not only see the initial set up, but the match management of the player.

Hmmm.

Yeah since this was announced I've actually got a few ideas for a sort of 'clinic' at certain times maybe.

Archived