Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who keep asking we have said repeatedly we will roll out updates as and when we have something better that has completed it's QA cycle.

As yet we have a work in progress situation for the ME, and no date set for any update. However as I also said, we are aiming to release one sooner rather than later.

We have had a couple of good weeks of improvements and testing but are not quite there yet. I'd love to say it will be ready tonight or before the weekend but I can't be specific yet.

Anyway, an overview of ME areas we have worked on so far:

- Player ratings have been tuned a little further

- Defensive lines have been pushed up the pitch a little more reducing shot count for some setups and also reducing crosses a little ( awkward as generally our shot count is about right but some human teams seem to have setups that cause higher ones )

- We've improved the detection of CCC's and Half Chances

- Some work to improve logic of when players should shoot or not

- A fair bit of work to the engagement of opponents who are on the ball

- Fixed that under-hit corner to near post bug

- Fixed keepers getting sent off for walking outside area with ball due to momentum

- Improved goalie short distribution for some setups

- Various other miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes

Back to work now...thanks for your patience and constructive feedback :)

Paul, can yourself or someone else from SI please confirm whether or not the next update is just for the ME or will it contain other general fixes as well?

Dead chuffed with that fix list, it appears to address all of the stuff I mentioned in this post:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368881-Football-Manager-2014-Full-Game-Feedback-14.1.3?p=9189659&viewfull=1#post9189659

At least there will be one happy customer when the update is released :)

If it fixes the contract issues then I'll be more than happy!

Dead chuffed with that fix list, it appears to address all of the stuff I mentioned in this post:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368881-Football-Manager-2014-Full-Game-Feedback-14.1.3?p=9189659&viewfull=1#post9189659

At least there will be one happy customer when the update is released :)

It seems most of the ones I added in response to your post have also been looked at.

So that's 2 happy campers then. :)

I will add to your list.

Defenders engaging the attacking players more instead of just running beside them.

Players choice of pass/shot at goal made better.

Players when clean through and a chance at a good pass/shot at goal turning and trying to then win a corner by playing it off the opposing player needs to be stopped.

An extension of that one with players in general trying to win corners seems too high in general.

The game needs to be better at identifying what is a clear cut chance, I am baffled at times that what is clearly a sitter not being classed as a CCC.

I would say there are just too many shots at goal in general, resulting in a lot of missed chances, some are very easy chances at that.

A team scoring right after the other team has scored seems way too high, granted it does of course happen in real life but it is quite amazing how often I see it in both my saves.

To have the assistant managers tips stay on the screen for a bit longer, maybe 6 seconds or so.

I think that will do for now.

Just a couple of thoughts which I'm sure will be roundly disagreed with, but for my tuppence worth:

I do think the program has an advantage over human managers in the current system, largely due to the impact of changes made during the game. A lot was made of the fact that the ai would react more aggressively and quickly to tactical situations etc and I can't help but think this is partly responsible for the rapid turn around in fortunes that are being reported in matches (teams throwing away leads etc). It seems to me that the ai is too good at adapting tactically to the situation even when the manager is not a 'top' manager. This is unfortunate on two levels - firstly irl how often does every manager make those killer changes that turn a game on it's head? Even in the top flights managers make decisions that do not improve their teams performance and sometimes even make things worse - I have never experienced this - it always seems to me that changes made by the ai end up going well for them!

Secondly unless you watch large amounts of the match the ai can react to what's happening when you're not seeing it (the fact that my assistant gives me advice when I'm not watching highlights makes me assume the ai can 'see' what needs changing too). This is something I don't have the time to do when playing this game,which leads me to my final point:

Aside from the odd bugs that spoil much of the match day experience, most of which I'm sure will be fixed, if the game still remains too challenging it stops being fun. I have read a lot of posts on here arguing about the challenge / go to the tactics forum etc but the truth is I don't want to have to spend huge amounts of time on forums getting feedback I want to play a game and enjoy it. I have played every iteration of this since cm3, except fm13 and have never needed to go to a forum to get help before - my knowledge of football and some experimenting has been enough and I have always enjoyed playing the game.

In a very long winded way what I am trying to say is please do not overdo the difficulty. For those of us who are more casual gamers (my play time comes no where near some of what I have seen quoted) and who want an enjoyable game please end up with a math engine that still allows you to succeed watching highlights on key etc

Finally before the shouts of that is what classic mode is for - making things not too difficult is not the same as making things simple. I did not pay £30 for half a game.

Have anyone seen a goal scored by a lobbing the ball over the keeper in a 1-1 situation? I haven't.

What about wingers going down the line, cutting inside before the box and then try to pass to a striker who runs diagonallly to him to tear op the defence? In my games what usually happens is, the winger cuts inside, ignore everybody and either try to run it in the box, shoot from the outside or loose the ball to a defender after a failed run. I never see the winger make a direct pass after shaking off the first opposing defender.

Or what about a striker who has a clear run to goal with the ball who actually does it? My strikers almost always try to pass wide or something stupid instead of jolting down the field with the ball, using his speed advantage (he has 17 for speed and accelerating).

Sound post akkm I think you may well have a point the play frequently does have a painting by numbers feel about it, now of course that’s true in real football a lot of the time and that’s why the most sort after players in the world and the ones that command the biggest fees, are those with the flair and technique to alter a game with an individual moment of magic, those moments which no amount of hard work and tactical know-how can stop. Now you can pick up players in FM2014 with a skill set that should be able to produce those sorts of moments even in leagues 1 and 2, all things being relative, indeed I would argue that in general there are too many players with high flair ratings in the game. (In my opinion at the moment in the premier league there are only a handful of players that I would put as 15 plus) The trouble is that in the current ME the only way flair seems to show itself is by fast runs at the defence and back heels, of which there are far too many often by very ordinary players. Lobs, smart turns, (think Alan Lallana on Saturday) overhead kicks, curling free kicks, curling dipping long range shots, close control dribbles, nutmegs and rounding the keeper are just either very rare, non-existent or in the case of long range efforts never trouble the GK, mainly the keepers catch them as if they were beach balls thrown by your granny.

anyone else see Pellegrini get sacked? Man City currently 7th in the league.

I've beaten all the top sides with my tactics but I always seem to lose to smaller sides.

just a quick question would you use more team instructions or less?

He got sacked after my first season at Villa and was replaced by Klopp. They finished 7th in the league but made it to the CL final. Not good enough I guess!

For those who keep asking we have said repeatedly we will roll out updates as and when we have something better that has completed it's QA cycle.

As yet we have a work in progress situation for the ME, and no date set for any update. However as I also said, we are aiming to release one sooner rather than later.

We have had a couple of good weeks of improvements and testing but are not quite there yet. I'd love to say it will be ready tonight or before the weekend but I can't be specific yet.

- Defensive lines have been pushed up the pitch a little more reducing shot count for some setups and also reducing crosses a little ( awkward as generally our shot count is about right but some human teams seem to have setups that cause higher ones )

- Fixed keepers getting sent off for walking outside area with ball due to momentum

Really do appreciate the efforts to keep us updated Paul. Looking forward to the update :thup:

Hi PaulC. Just take your time, game is good. I actually like lower player ratings. But please read my latest thread and help me to make game harder. Is it possible that SI can make some modes with more aggresive AI managers, that buy just best players, or some skin that hides STARS and attributes. or even better , that attributes are from lets say from 12 to 16 when you scout, and you find real attributes of these players only after they are in your clubs for 3-4 or more months? Please PaulC, read my thread and tell me what do you think. YOu can make these modes and we will buy them, just like we bought new FM editor. ty

Game is so frustrating, I'm having to save after every game as I just don't know what team will turn up. 3 pre season games all with decent ratings then boom, get beat off Forfar (playing as Hibs) 4-0, defence around 4.2-5.3 WTF, I know there's a bug but jeez what a bug, hence why I save every game now, also 20-30 shots per game and only 8-10 on target, please hurry up with the updates as this game is quickly becoming a waste of £35

Tell me attempting to kick the ball off an opponent for a corner or throw in has been fixed please please please...

Sounds awesome Paul, should make the ME really great!

THIS! Killing the game for me at the moment

Same, it is the only game I have going at the moment and would love it to be fixed.

Also, is there any possibility of getting rid of the pointless "highlights" of kick-off and the last minute of the match when very rarely anything happens?

Same, it is the only game I have going at the moment and would love it to be fixed.

Also, is there any possibility of getting rid of the pointless "highlights" of kick-off and the last minute of the match when very rarely anything happens?

Got to agree with that. Has been in the game for a while now, but the full time one is so frustrating. The highlight of a defender hoofing the ball into the stands really isn't a highlight is it?

Got to agree with that. Has been in the game for a while now, but the full time one is so frustrating. The highlight of a defender hoofing the ball into the stands really isn't a highlight is it?
perhaps there should be but not too get rid of it entirely just make it a option if you want it on and off, it will stop any complaints because some may like it

Awesome work, thank you. I can't imagine these ones were easy, but they're the ones that have bugged me most.

Edit: wait, does SI admitting they worked on these things now mean that some around here will admit they weren't already perfect? Anyone taking bets?

Have anyone seen a goal scored by a lobbing the ball over the keeper in a 1-1 situation? I haven't.

Yes. It won goal of the month, actually!

• SI Staff
Paul, can yourself or someone else from SI please confirm whether or not the next update is just for the ME or will it contain other general fixes as well?

I dont think that has been decided yet.

I dont think that has been decided yet.

Due to the fact an Editor has been released that crashes if you have a league system which involves basic playoffs or group stages on the same date every year (Admitted by SI). I'd actually say that fixing that is more important than any kind of ME 'improvement'. Due to this being gamebreaking for people who use the editor. :D

Due to the fact an Editor has been released that crashes if you have a league system which involves basic playoffs or group stages on the same date every year (Admitted by SI). I'd actually say that fixing that is more important than any kind of ME 'improvement'. Due to this being gamebreaking for people who use the editor. :D

Have to agree, to a certain extent. The ME might not be perfect but it's playable - there are other non-me issues having a pretty big impact on a lot of games.

To be honest I was looking forward to the update because there are non-ME issues like the editor I'd like to see fixed more.

Have to agree, to a certain extent. The ME might not be perfect but it's playable - there are other non-me issues having a pretty big impact on a lot of games.

To be honest I was looking forward to the update because there are non-ME issues like the editor I'd like to see fixed more.

I have you Editor bugs please post them here; http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/371-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-Editor Cheers

I have you Editor bugs please post them here; http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/371-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-Editor Cheers

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370128-FM2014-Crash-in-August-2014-after-creating-a-very-simple-Mali-league

Mine, as has others been raised in there. It does mean that a lot of people (who were counting down the days till the Beta stopped so they could get their hands on the editor on releease date) Have been making databases that simply just won't work until the next update! I'm sure it will be fixed soon though :)

Seconded. Even with key highlights I still get the occassional pointless goalkick, throwin, etc.

Thank you Paul for the update, looks like there was a considerable amount of work tackling the glaring bugs first (as you'd expect) then a little work into the deeper problems as well. Gonna look back at my list of "complaints" - simplified, without the walls of text of explanations - and compare to Paul's ME shortlist of changes.

1. Near post / short corners are bugged as the first post attacker is regularly unmarked

2. Keeper distribution is not correct as they tend to hoof it up too much even when given short distribution instructions

3. There's lack in variety of scored direct free kicks

4. Attacking players are still a little too keen to shoot long

5. Players with teamwork do not dribble, and players in the AMC position are not keen enough to dribble neither

6. World class players should still be able to slice in a through-ball vs a packed defence once in a while

7. It's too easy in the current ME to get your defence to stay in perfect position to cut things down the middle, just stay deep and play 2 DMs, do not press, nothing will ever go past that barrier.

8. Wingers win the byline too easily, and cross too often by the air - where have the low crosses gone?

9. It's far too easy to pass short provided the opposition doesn't press and/or cannot tackle

10. It's far too HARD to pass long

1) 2) and 4) are bugs that I would expect the patch to fix and it does sound like it will.

3) is unimportant in the relative scheme of things

5) I am a little disappointed is not on Paul's list but I reckon there's not been enough complaints about it so might not be high on SI's priorities, or even gone unnoticed

6), 7), 8), 9) and 10) are the really big bulk of problems and whilst I am a little concerned none of them have been mentioned directly in Paul's list, these 2 bits:

- Defensive lines have been pushed up the pitch a little more reducing shot count for some setups and also reducing crosses a little

sound like they could help a little with every single one of those last 5 issues I've described... waiting patiently to see if it will make a difference.

Archived