Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Happens to me almost every game .. Neymar dribbles with the ball .. and then he just shoots the ball across the line .. like he wants to hit an opponent to get a corner :confused:

It is a bug, and if it happens to you that regularly, then I'm sure you can upload plenty of examples to the Bugs Forum for SI to add to the issue :brock:

Links are in post #3397

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been discussed but it has been an issue for me since taking over a recently relegated Villa side.

MXzlCv5.png

So I go to speak to him.

9mzeCZI.png

He had been on the transfer list by request when I took over and I have been turning bids down or asking for a lot as I want to keep him.

3: Although it could be better, we don't think the ME makes the game unplayable or the football look horrendous.

What would constitute horrendous looking football and ME that makes game unplayable in your opinion?

This is not an attempt to wind you up I'm genuinely interested. I stopped playing half season in this year when it become obvious that top club in Croatia (won league 8 times in row + by far the strongest squad) controlled by AI will be relegated due to playing narrow formation. ME looks very unnatural to me and main statistical indicators confirm it (like tackling, interceptions and distribution off assists across various zones being way off).

Before i get advice about how to get the best out of FM2014 i would like to say that i don't want to change the way i play Football Manager to accommodate flaws within the game design, i want my team to play my tactics, to play my way, before i stopped FM2013 i was 2 years unbeaten as i eventually end up with every version of the game, i don't want to have to compromise because I've never had to before and I've been playing since CM3.

Hang on, are you insinuating that you winning every week in previous versions was all down to your tactics, but if you don't manage that this time, it'll be because of flaws in the game?

Isn't it possible that it's actually the other way around? Isn't it possible that the previous versions were 'flawed' in the respect that it was too easy to find a tactic that leads to a team winning every game? That sounds more like a flawed game to me than one where you need to continually work harder to achieve continued success.

Apologies to the usual suspects if this comes across as 'trolling', it's not meant to be a dig, merely an observation.

What would constitute horrendous looking football and ME that makes game unplayable in your opinion?

This is not an attempt to wind you up I'm genuinely interested. I stopped playing half season in this year when it become obvious that top club in Croatia (won league 8 times in row + by far the strongest squad) controlled by AI will be relegated due to playing narrow formation. ME looks very unnatural to me and main statistical indicators confirm it (like tackling, interceptions and distribution off assists across various zones being way off).

I don't know what the this particular Croatian club is doing, but narrow formations are totally viable in 14.1.3. I know this because at this point the two formations I overwhelmingly play with are 4-3-1-2 and a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 and I'm doing fine.

Apologies to the usual suspects if this comes across as 'trolling', it's not meant to be a dig, merely an observation.

I for one am rooting for you to get the early FM15 beta invite you have so desperately been seeking.

Hang on, are you insinuating that you winning every week in previous versions was all down to your tactics, but if you don't manage that this time, it'll be because of flaws in the game?

Isn't it possible that it's actually the other way around? Isn't it possible that the previous versions were 'flawed' in the respect that it was too easy to find a tactic that leads to a team winning every game? That sounds more like a flawed game to me than one where you need to continually work harder to achieve continued success.

The interpretation is free, but that's not what he meant.

Just had two players announce their retirement at the end of the season. Both were regular first teamers who had signed on for another season. I think it would be a good feature to be able to attempt to talk them out of it via the 'private chat' feature that is already there. As it it, I have no way of even trying to change their mind.

Would be a good addition for the next edition IMO.

Just had two players announce their retirement at the end of the season. Both were regular first teamers who had signed on for another season. I think it would be a good feature to be able to attempt to talk them out of it via the 'private chat' feature that is already there. As it it, I have no way of even trying to change their mind.

Would be a good addition for the next edition IMO.

When did they remove this? I remember seeing it in FM12 or FM13.

Maybe it's just my save but I'm seeing a lot of regens with a very high free kick attribute, I've got 2 regens in my team with 20 free kicks and there are at least 10 with 20 as well, in fact there are a lot of regens with very high corners and free kicks, more so than there ever was in 13.

Maybe it's just coincidence but still something to think about.

I don't know what the this particular Croatian club is doing, but narrow formations are totally viable in 14.1.3. I know this because at this point the two formations I overwhelmingly play with are 4-3-1-2 and a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 and I'm doing fine.

They play narrow 4-1-2-1-2.

Just played Arsenal with my Liverpool side, had 28 shots, 68% possession and scored one goal, they had 6 shots, 32% and scored THREE!!! There are a lot of key flaws in this game that really need addressing and after reading around other forums and this one i can see that i'm not alone, here are my main issues.

Tactics: Without the sliders or options from the previous games Man marking may as well not exist, there is next to no defensive control or tactical conrtol, i used have an Anchor Man set as my playmaker so he picks up the ball from the defence and plays a simple pass to any of the midfielders which transitions defence to attack...can't do that anymore because of the ridiculous adherence to "player roles". The dumbing down of the tactics has removed the depth of control that i loved and i'm sure all the other FM users enjoyed, i can understand if it's an attempt to make the game more user friendly to new users but to not have the slider system in the game at all makes it feel like the core users have been ignored at the expense of new gamers.

Match Preparation: Takes so long now to train tactics to a decent level that it borders on being a bug, i've tried several restarts now and the only way to get the tactics even 75% trained is to play between 15-20 Friendlies before the start of the season, but again with the Tactic problems it doesn't really matter.

Match Engine: Two REALLY obvious things stand out, your strikers can't score where as they score or come close with almost every attack (even if they only have 6 shots...Arsenal!) Defenders don't follow players, they stand around and ball watch as the teams seem to move through a static defence and your strikers seem to just smash the ball at the goalkeeper all the time, most of my goals from open play come from rebounds off the goalkeeper and the good old Corner Exploit, which has been a bug for about 3 games now! I would say that this wouldn't be a problem except the computer managers to defend and attack just fine, it's just when the users team defends and attacks.

Contracts: Eventually the players demand the kind of wages that only Man City, Chelsea, Monaco, PSG and Oligarch owned Russian Clubs can afford to pay, tried to sign Huntelaar and he wanted a Rotation contract on £180k a week, not very true to life.

Before i get advice about how to get the best out of FM2014 i would like to say that i don't want to change the way i play Football Manager to accommodate flaws within the game design, i want my team to play my tactics, to play my way, before i stopped FM2013 i was 2 years unbeaten as i eventually end up with every version of the game, i don't want to have to compromise because I've never had to before and I've been playing since CM3.

I'd just really like some news about 14.1.4 and that these issues are being taken into account and worked on.

we have heard this many times that game needs be addressed if you read the forums you will realise all this has already been mentioned before and been told to read more in the tactic forums for help

I'm in my 4th season, I've won 3 league titles with 2 different teams and 1 Champions League. I've also won 3 domestic cups. So far in the 4th season I've won 11/11 in the league, 4/4 in Europe and have qualified for the 5th round of the League Cup I play an attacking tactic and overall would say my results are exactly in line with what I would expect from playing any version of FM.

I don't suffer from my team having 40 chances per game and on average I would say I have between 10-20 chances per game (I would guess 8/10 times I'm the dominant side). In the last game I played I scored 3 goals away to Liverpool, the first was a 20 yard half volley from a poor clearance, the 2nd was a player arriving late at the far post to tap in and the 3rd was a quick break from my 18 yard box that had 4 quick passes in the build up before the keeper was chipped from 30 yards out.

The current match engine is fine and is totally playable. THE ONLY change I've had to make from how I would configure my tactic in previous versions of FM is to have both my full backs on Attack, usually I would leave them both on support, but this seems to cause me a problem. With that said the problem only happens down the side of the pitch where I also have an attacking player in front of the full back so in all honestly this is what you'd expect to see in real life and previous versions of FM allowed me to get away with being more cautious in defence, whilst more gung ho in attack, which just isn't right.

Now the negatives, the game does have bugs in the ME, These are the GK will not pass to a defender, the only way to get his passing completion rate up is to use him as a sweeper keeper. Too many goals are scored from set pieces, whilst the % reported may appear to be correct far too many goals come from a clearance etc. Apart from those two I've not noticed anything untoward, I've seen the random annoyance but not anything that's made me feel I need to stop playing the game.

This feedback is basesd on 200+ games as manager, I'm happy to post any supporting screen shots, videos or even provide the save game if people wanted to view this unplayable game being played. You cannot judge FM or the ME on 1 season, the game wants you to develop a team and that takes time.

In the interest of balance I've had a disaster of a game with Chelsea where I was knocked out of every cup, was 17th in the league after Christmas and got sacked at the end of Feb. In that game I edited how much money I had, signed far too many players and tried to make Chelsea play like Barcelona which they just don't have the players to do, that save I won't be showing ;)

I hope this can balance out alot of the negativity I've been seeing recently, this match engine is great I don't want to see it get broken because people are too eager to blame anything but themselves.

I see your point on board, but i do use new tactics in every game, i work at them and spend time developing tactics, it's never a case of just auto-piloting my matches either, i've still got to make changes and manage each match but i'm not insinuating i'm flat out saying its down to a mixture of the tactics that i've spent season upon season working on, the right backroom staff and training, and the right players that are bought and trained to play it.

That being said the flaws in this game with Tactic creation are there to be seen and well documented by more than just me as are the issues with shooting and marking in the match engine.

There is always the possibility that the testers who worked on the updated ME at the weekend didn't like what they saw and everyone is 'back to the 'drawing board'.

Personally I would like them to take the time to get it right, even though my own save is on hold at the moment.

Ideally I would like the next update to see us through to after the January transfer window although I know this is unlikely.

What I don't want is 'Rome 2 style' weekly updates. That would lead to chaos.

just a quick question would you use more team instructions or less?

How long is a piece of string?

How do you want to play?

You can play perfectly functional football with no Team Instructions at all.

It is easier to understand when watching how and why a team functions as it does with no Team Instructions at all.

Then you can gradually introduce an Instruction one at a time to better shape the team in your image.

The fact that you lose all your key players and can"t sign anyone in the Skrill North and South is making it unplayable at that level.

Agreed. I played one season in Skrill North and then had to get a whole new squad basically which wasn't that easy and frustrating. Save is on hold currently for me, waiting for a fix.

My scout reports say I have over 5000 players to choose from but If I look at the player search I get around 400.

I'm getting players that have been released from relegated clubs refusing to even talk to me.

Case in point: Jas Singh released by Solihull Moors after just avoiding the drop. Won't even talk to me.

The fact that you lose all your key players and can"t sign anyone in the Skrill North and South is making it unplayable at that level.
Agreed. I played one season in Skrill North and then had to get a whole new squad basically which wasn't that easy and frustrating. Save is on hold currently for me, waiting for a fix.

I've just checked this thread in the Bugs Forum, and it implies towards the end that issues have been identified and fixes rolled out in testing, so hopefully you can expect progress in the next update.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370177-LL-Players-not-willing-to-negotiate-new-contracts

My scout reports say I have over 5000 players to choose from but If I look at the player search I get around 400.

I'm getting players that have been released from relegated clubs refusing to even talk to me.

Case in point: Jas Singh released by Solihull Moors after just avoiding the drop. Won't even talk to me.

All this happened to me with Lowestoft, but on my Droylsden save I have now, I'm having much more success attracting and keeping hold of players. Maybe some of the newly promoted Skrill North/South clubs have a much poorer reputation than others. It's still an issue that needs fixed though.

Atleast give us please an estimate. This complete silence is annoying, especially when halting a save game to wait for the next update :(

PLEASE. I don't wanna log in every 10 mins to see if there's an update. PaulC said on Friday that the work's almost done,all they need is a little more testing time. But we haven't heard anything since then. This is the longest i've ever gone,not playing FM!

Have been thinking a lot about why, despite being successful in this game, I am not getting the same enjoyment out of watching my team play as all those great years prior to last year (last year to the point of stopping playing). This year has absolutely seen improvement but…

The more and more I've played and watched games and had time to observe the ME the more it seems that patterns of play repeat over and over again without much variation and it becomes a case you are watching the pre designed game TACTICS play themselves out rather than YOU (the user) having affected it/controlled it...you CAN affect/change those patterns to a degree by changing tactics but then it really is a case that all that ultimately happens is that those pre designed tactics you've chosen/changed just play themselves out again in repetitive patterns to the point of boredom and blandness/banality.

While I appreciate that its a computer programme and the constrictions/confines that places on things and that these tactics and play are pre designed to a point and pre programmed and all that good stuff what then has to come into play beyond that is the AI.

It's like the AI is underdeveloped at this point in time and cannot replicate real life fluid play outside pre-designed tactically repetitive patterns and does not produce interactive/interchangeable/intelligent/awareness rich/good decision making/highly intuitive play beyond the tactics, indicating the AI in this is underdeveloped and particularly when compared with FM12s (fair enough considering the relative development time of the two versions of the ME).

Right now tactics are overpowered in determining patterns of play rather than using player’s actual attributes particularly their mental attributes to establish/develop/evolve the teams play.

What happens more often than not is that it’s not good tactics/skill/high class player ability/player talent that leads to goals being scored but rather the pattern of play your tactics just breaks down and its scored come from defensive deficiencies/overly active wide play/scrappiness/randomness producing the goals…yes goals come from mistakes in real life/scrappiness/random incidents but not to the extent in FM such is the disconnect between build up play and goalscoring/too many shots/too many goals from wide areas…these are too prevalent within FM…this is not easy to articulate but essentially what I mean here is in FM you have pattern of play/it stops/to be replaced by a goal scoring incident rather in real life patterns of play PRODUCE/FORCE goalscoring incidents but in FM there is a disconnect between the pattern of play and the goal scoring incidents in FM (not all the time admittedly).

Players attributes (mental ones particularly) need to be factored in more/become more important/more of determing factor in game play and tactics are absolutely overpowered and too important. Players ABSOLUTELY decide games…tactics as I’ve said many times can be employed pragmatically to help determine the outcome of games (particularly by lesser teams to counteract the strengths of better ones) but if jose mourinho, for example, employs the EXACT SAME tactics with real madrids players against Barcelona as he does with wrexhams players against Barcelona and you will have ENTIRELY different outcomes due to the disparity in player abilities/talents…so ultimately it is not tactics that will determine the outcomes of those match ups…far from it !!!

I always harp back to FM12 as its AI enabled most of what current FM cannot do (as described above) very well and I don’t want to hear about its exploitable deficiencies as a defence of current ME as that Croatian centre back cited earlier shows that fast player can exploit deficiencies in current ME as well. Personally I have found due to repeating patterns and simplistic decision making from players/responses to situations that this is the most exploitable ME I have ever encountered (not that I will employ them to win as I’m a footballing purist who likes to see a team play with a certain style…tho being aware and grudgingly admiring of the pragmaticism/determination/organisation/’tactics’ that can occasionally stop a barca style of play).

Even playing the possession game using a tactic of one deep midfielder two attacking midfielders behind a central striker with two wide strikers (inside forward and winger) but playing at same high level up the pitch as the striker ends up exploiting the ME and scoring shed loads of goals where with a basic 4-2-3-1 can get loads of shots/getting countered situation where that set up above has no trouble scoring goals so positioning on the pitch exploits the bej*sus out of the ME

Anyway getting back to initial post and why the same enjoyment out of watching the current ME is not there anymore despite winning easily…I think once the AI develops further and more varied/responsive/ai developed/intelligent/interactive play becomes more prevalent reflecting players attributes such as decision making/off the ball/anticipation/technical etc then things will improve vastly and get where everyone wants to be enabling a better watch rather than seeing underdeveloped repeating patterns

As always, I absolutely appreciate the difficulty in trying to create this but you got there before with FM12 and I know you will again with this and, in time, it will be superior once everything gets factored in

I've put about a dozen hours into FM14 so far (played through preseason and about 4 league games with PSG) and I really cannot understand all the complaints. I'm far from a master tactician and the quality of the players has carried me to victory in most games. Results seem largely realistic, my last few league games ended 4-1, 1-0, and 2-2. My strikers are effective (Cavani had 4 goals in 1 game, Ibrahimovic has 3 in 4 games) and players seem to largely do what they're told. Matuidi was taking too many long shots as a DM/S, so I told him to shoot less often and he has obeyed.

Just not sure what people are so infuriated about.

All this happened to me with Lowestoft, but on my Droylsden save I have now, I'm having much more success attracting and keeping hold of players. Maybe some of the newly promoted Skrill North/South clubs have a much poorer reputation than others. It's still an issue that needs fixed though.

I'm managing King's Lynn and I believe they have the highest rep out of all of them bar maybe FC United.

ok but if they found something they should tell us. And we would be more patience. Isn't it?
you should be patient anyways if you have played previous versions of fm you will know then don't release anything before they are certain the patches work and you do realise they know what is wrong already

• SI Staff

For those who keep asking we have said repeatedly we will roll out updates as and when we have something better that has completed it's QA cycle.

As yet we have a work in progress situation for the ME, and no date set for any update. However as I also said, we are aiming to release one sooner rather than later.

We have had a couple of good weeks of improvements and testing but are not quite there yet. I'd love to say it will be ready tonight or before the weekend but I can't be specific yet.

Anyway, an overview of ME areas we have worked on so far:

- Player ratings have been tuned a little further

- Defensive lines have been pushed up the pitch a little more reducing shot count for some setups and also reducing crosses a little ( awkward as generally our shot count is about right but some human teams seem to have setups that cause higher ones )

- We've improved the detection of CCC's and Half Chances

- Some work to improve logic of when players should shoot or not

- A fair bit of work to the engagement of opponents who are on the ball

- Fixed that under-hit corner to near post bug

- Fixed keepers getting sent off for walking outside area with ball due to momentum

- Improved goalie short distribution for some setups

- Various other miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes

Back to work now...thanks for your patience and constructive feedback :)

For those who keep asking we have said repeatedly we will roll out updates as and when we have something better that has completed it's QA cycle.

As yet we have a work in progress situation for the ME, and no date set for any update. However as I also said, we are aiming to release one sooner rather than later.

We have had a couple of good weeks of improvements and testing but are not quite there yet. I'd love to say it will be ready tonight or before the weekend but I can't be specific yet.

- Defensive lines have been pushed up the pitch a little more reducing shot count for some setups and also reducing crosses a little ( awkward as generally our shot count is about right but some human teams seem to have setups that cause higher ones )

- Fixed keepers getting sent off for walking outside area with ball due to momentum

Thanks for the update PaulC. I can now stop obsessively F5'ing for a while and do something more constructive :)

Good news. Looking forward to see how it turns out! :)

Nooooooooo, I've won so many games because of that bug :(:D

In all seriousness though: Thank you ever so much for the update! Glad to hear things are being looked at and improved. Good luck!

Archived