Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Any response to the transfer issues that have been brought up already? That of not being able to sell players, especially at lower league clubs. Is it a known issue?

I only play LLM and out of the 50+ hours I have played in FM14 so far, I have been able to sell people I have transfer listed. If there is no market for them, there is no market.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only play LLM and out of the 50+ hours I have played in FM14 so far, I have been able to sell people I have transfer listed. If there is no market for them, there is no market.

Lower Leagues I tend to sell my players that I've transfer listed for £0. Most clubs in the Skrill Prem, N/S for example can't afford to fork out money on players unless they're exceptional.

I have a suspicion this is also happening when you holiday a game in the full version - ie Ass M makes no substitutions. Worked fine during early beta

Ass M definitely makes no substitutions (when you holiday over a game) now even tho he did during the BETA, no even when somebody gets injured!

FWIW I cleared the cache and continued my save that started during the BETA.

• SI Staff
Then indirectly? I know experience is useful for development so I've never been critical of poor performances in the odd game for youth players but if its consistent?

Indirectly it can affect development slightly via morale for example but the even then the effects from the ratings alone are not that large in the big picture.

Are players supposed to be able to waste several minutes on throw ins?

No, that wouldn't happen in real life. Log this in the bugs forums, upload pkm's and in your post confirm the pkm name and the times these issues are occuring. That gives the best chance of the issue being investigated and fixed

Well all right then, thanks for the response. Looks like Forest Green are going to go into administration then. Just a momentary setback on the road towards bringing the Champions League to The Lawn :p

I haven't got to the transfer window yet so I can't speak to the reported issues there. But in my current Aston Villa save the scores seem completely normal and realistic, and I don't see a huge problem with ratings. If I had to nitpick one area it would be total shots, which tends to be a bit high. Shots on goal i

sn't as bad

Mind uploading your tactics? I'd be really interested to see how you've set up your defence and midfield.

My assistant manager does make substitutions when i holiday when i only have the "play with current tactics" ticked. If i select "play with current team selection" he does not make substitutions.

Yes! Just discovered this myself. Again this did not happen in the BETA but you are right he makes substitutions unless you tick the "with current team selection"

Can't believe what I just read in the last couple of pages. People blaming SI for having rubbish tactics/rubbish forwards...bloody hell guys what do you want them to do? Come round your house and play the game for you?

Anyway enough of that. I'm really enjoying the game so far, much better than last year which I found so hard to enjoy. I'm actually finding it better than the BETA too which seems odd given how many people are complaining the BETA was better. I'm happy to moan at SI when I personally think its warranted but I can't see much to complain about in all honesty. Last year the ME was a train wreck (again this is my opinion) but I think this year it seems far more realistic. Granted its not perfect...seems like too many long shots currently for example but its something I can live with.

So yeah keep up the good work SI. Feels real good to say that because last year I spent most of my time on here complaining but credit where its due this game is fantastic and once a few niggling issues are fixed it will be perfect or at least close to it.

It has probably been mentioned before, but I think there are far to many players being unhappy not to play first team football too soon. Just a couple of months in they start to complain. I wish there was an opportunity to give this answer: "It is a long season, I have to rotate the squad, and you will get first team opportunities. Just be patient."

It has probably been mentioned before, but I think there are far to many players being unhappy not to play first team football too soon. Just a couple of months in they start to complain. I wish there was an opportunity to give this answer: "It is a long season, I have to rotate the squad, and you will get first team opportunities. Just be patient."

Actually this is an issue. In lower leagues you'll have non-contract blokes, usually on 'backup' status. They'll whinge around February if they haven't got enough games, you can let them go (to save the hassle) which, essentially gives them a free transfer. Then you can sign them again on non-contract as backup and they're quite happy.

Ridiculous if you ask me. But a useful "exploit" that ensures you don't suffer morale drops et al.

What I especially like about the new tactical system is that with the conflicting instructions aid you know that as long as you think about what should work when you set it, keeping it simple, you get a real feel that the tactics "work" and if results are a bit negative you can still feel around to create a sound tactic that give results up to expectation. Am loving this.

Go into your match analysis, and click the little circle representing each of your shots, which will take you to a replay of each one. A lot of the shots don't show on highlights, particularly on key highlights. Look to where your players are shooting from and why. Was there better options? Was the opposition defence crowding your attackers and forcing them into rushed shots?

See if I can clarify this a bit, in the game I highlighted earlier Luton vs Dag & Redbridge which I lost 3-1.

Luton’s stats had 21 shots to Dag & Redbridge’s 6, all most all of my shots were in front of the goal, they amounted to 1 goal, 6 that were saved, 9 that missed the net, 3 that were blocked although Dag & Redbridge stats say only two blocked shots, 1 that hit the woodwork and one that I can’t account for, match Stats says 21 attempts, analysis only adds up to 20.

Of those 20 shots only three were from outside the area and 7 were from only 6 yards or less of which one was the goal, 1 was saved and the other 5 all missed the net.

Analysis suggests I had one clear cut chance which must have been the goal and D&G 3 all of which they scored, I’m not really sure what the game means by clear cut chance, I would have thought that if I had 6 shots saved they would be clear cut chances.

Now of course this could happen, teams really do have games that they dominate but lose, England vs Poland 1974 springs to mind, however in FM it’s not a rare occurrence I could but up the stats for many games like this, it is clearly an issue, However, one that I’m sure will be resolved.

Because a ball winning midfielder isn't a BWM without hard tackling and closing down at all times. That's the point of the role, if you dont' want him tackling hard but want him to remain defensive put him on CM/D or DLP/D, you can't pick a role, moan about it and refuse to change it.. -_-

Shoot less often is for all shots I'd assume. If you want less long shots use "Work the ball into box" instruction.

He is playing in defensive midfielder position. The only roles that can apply to him are anchorman and ball winning midfielder. I don't mind him closing down, but I want him to stay on his feet. If he gets a yellow card 5 mins into a match, I should be able to tell him to stop tacking hard because he is probably one foul away from a red card. I understand perfectly that the role comes with a lot of fouls and cards, and normally I played with them not worring as much as now about getting sent off because I was able to select easy tacking. In 21 matches I got 18 yellow cards and 4 red cards (two players are swapping in that position). All red cards came from two yellows. 3 of those reds where in the first half. Only thing I can do is change their role to one they are not suited for, surely that's not the only solution

Is this happening often? Don't forget Chelsea had 2 games in 3 days this week IRL.

There has to be 72 hours between games.

Regulamento do Campeonato Nacional de Séniores (page 11)

Artigo 16.º

1. O dia e hora dos jogos são marcados pela FPF, devendo-se observar um período mínimo de 72

horas de intervalo entre o final de um jogo e o início do jogo seguinte de um mesmo Clube, quer se

trate de jogo nacional ou de um jogo organizado pela UEFA.

Article n.16

1. The games' day and hour are set by the FPF (Portuguese Football Federation), and must be

observed a period of 72 hours of interval between the end of a game and the beggining of the

next game of a same club, be that game nacional or UEFA organized.

Did you smash it?

Are you Richard Keys? :D

Sorry but I don't believe you, I cannot see CR7 and Jose Mourinho getting that excited that a team in a "game" gets a lucky break, even their own game - and certainly not yours!. Again you have brought up "super" tactics, you really don't have a clue do you. I'll leave this here because sadly you probably wont and this "stuff" adds nothing to the debate, but carry on and the Mods will make the same points the rest of us have but with the Infraction Mallet as emphasis (Kriss, see what I did there?) ;)

Jimbo1K, if you do decide to jog on over to the TTF and decide to lock horns with wwfan in this silly manner it may be worth me staying up to watch that little verbal game of tennis.

He is playing in defensive midfielder position. The only roles that can apply to him are anchorman and ball winning midfielder.

There are quite a few more, including "defensive midfielder". Deep lying playmaker, half back, regista and maybe one more as well.

A clear cut chance would normally be a 1 v1 with the keeper, perhaps an almost open goal for a shot or a header....its where you would think the player is odds on to score. IRL we often see CCC's and can note with relief or frustration that they are not always made into goals

Now IRL the definition of a CCC is open to personal interpretation..."how the hell did he miss that" "actually that wasn't as easier as it looked".....you knowthe conversations

FM is no different and the game's interpretation of a CCC is also open to interpretation. Where frustration has been in FM is where the game classes an opportunity as a CCC and as these add up FM gamers get frustrated by the CCC to goal ratio being too high. Previous FM's have been known to perhaps over count opportunities as CCC's.

However if people can't agree IRL then its also going to be difficult for FM to get this right also

I hope that helps explain CCC's a little

Just found a massive bug regards transfer fees and the currency settings

I was Norwich and had a £12 million budget, I bid £9 million for Horishi Kiyotake, I went to complete the deal then notice the currency changed from UK Sterling to US Dollars without me changing anything, So I went it settings to change it back but when I did the value of the transfer went from £9 million to £5 million and my transfer budget went from £12 million to 5 million.

Some more things I am experiencing as I play more.

1. There are far too many goals from ridiculously tight angles. Some are nearly on the byline but they seem to sneak in at the near post.

2. Having trouble employing certain instructions. I have 'play route one' and 'pump balls into the box' ticked yet my midfield seem happy passing about in the middle of the park. They just aren't doing as I am asking.

3. Target men don't seem to be target men at all. I am rarely seeing any of my players attempt to stick it on my big target mans head. It just feels he is a target man in name only.

4. Match engine very predictable. Watch enough games and you can see similarities in certain pieces of highlight footage. Very easy to predict what little things will happen. For example if my winger is having a run, you can usually tell whether he will be dispossessed or whether he will successfully put in a cross.

5. Players seem to get tired very very easily.

Just found a massive bug regards transfer fees and the currency settings

I was Norwich and had a £12 million budget, I bid £9 million for Horishi Kiyotake, I went to complete the deal then notice the currency changed from UK Sterling to US Dollars without me changing anything, So I went it settings to change it back but when I did the value of the transfer went from £9 million to £5 million and my transfer budget went from £12 million to 5 million.

Do you have a save game prior to this and can you reproduce it? If so please log this in the bugs forum and upload the save game

Upon starting a save, are the star ratings, (for Computer Performance and Estimated Game Speed), once again relatively ignorable?

I think they give a relative indication and probably are not 100% accurate. However my view of fast, acceptable and slow may differ from yours and I think thats the issue

I haven't touched the full game yet but on my beta save at the beginning of the second season I signed a young keeper on a free. His squad status is backup.

8 games in he's complained about lack of first team football.

Told him to get lost as he's backup and now he wants to leave.

Well I said to hell with it, the wife and kid are off to bed and I wanted to play FM.

I tried to sell my players, none of the interested teams thought it was value for money to get a player rated at 500k for only 100k, fine no problem.

My fullbacks in fairness have picked up a couple of decent ratings, I have had them get a 6.5 and 6.6 while not great as we were winning games quite easily, it is not the end of the world, they still get the 5.6 or indeed dance around from 5.6 to 6.6, fine no problem.

I want to play so I will just get on with it instead of waiting for the update, I have not been this excited to play a save in years, this Leipzig save is going to be a lot of fun.

I do have 1 question though, when giving team talks is this under review?

It seems no matter what I say someone will go in the huff.

For example, I was playing a game and at halftime it was 2-2, we were winning 2-0 and a good goal from them and a very silly own goal, when I say silly I mean just that.

We are in total control besides those 2 goals and I give the half time teamtalk as "this game is still ours for the taking" and half the team react badly, seems a bit strange, I admit they may feel downhearted at losing a 2 goal lead but we were still dominating the game.

Another example would be, we were winning a game 1-0 at halftime and I say that the team have done well and to keep it up, 4 players react badly, I just don't get the team talks at the moment.

2. Having trouble employing certain instructions. I have 'play route one' and 'pump balls into the box' ticked yet my midfield seem happy passing about in the middle of the park. They just aren't doing as I am asking.

What level of highlights do you watch? If it's just 'key' for example, it may be that your long balls are aimlessly going nowhere, so don't make the highlight reel. Which could indicate your players aren't suited to that style of play.

Not sure if this is worthy of a bug report but playing as Manchester United, my U-18s team played the same day as the U-19s team in the UEFA Youth League. I'd imagine that were such a conflict to occur in real life, the U-18s fixture would have been postponed (though obviously if there are examples disproving this, I apologise).

What level of highlights do you watch? If it's just 'key' for example, it may be that your long balls are aimlessly going nowhere, so don't make the highlight reel. Which could indicate your players aren't suited to that style of play.

Fair point and it did cross my mind. I watch 'extended' but it still is possible I suppose. I've got a big lump up front though so thought it would yield even moderate success creating chances.

Well, yes, there is that. :D

Cheers for the response nevetheless.

I've been playing the beta with an I7 and 8gb Ram on Win 7 with 54,000 players (advanced) and playable leagues of EPL down to Conference N/S and top 2 leagues from another 6 countries. I think this gives me 3/5 stars for both. Can get a bit slower at end of transfer windows and end of season update but speed is fine for me.

If you get past end of sumer window see how you find the speed, you may want to restart with lower players / leagues if its a bit slow. However I think it can slow down a tad if you progress through a lot of seasons as players and histories build up

Hi all,

is it just me, or is it really hard to create a tactic with a high defensive line? I am playing a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DM (one Regista, actually), and a "Much Higher Defensive Line" plus "Hassle Opponent". All of my defenders and midfielders also have the "Close down more" player setting. That should make for a dangerously insane approach to defending, I think. My idea was to challenge the opponent as soon as we lose the ball.

What happens is the following: My defenders do push up towards the middle line, but as soon as the opponent has possession, they slowly fall back and only challenge the opponent's players once they already enter my penalty box! At that time, both my DMs are basically standing on the toes of my central defenders, which looks both uncomfortable and ineffective. I've already received tons of goals where the opponent winger ran to the ground-line (?) and then passed the ball back to the penalty corner, where one of the opponent's attacking midfielders had little trouble scoring.

In case this is a problem with my tactics (maybe "more expressive" or "Fluid" has a detrimental effect there), I would highly appreciate being corrected!

I just got the wee news item informing me of one of my player's POTM performance in the last game. Nothing strange there, apart from the last sentence which states he's been an ever present this season, when he's actually missed a few games. He's been an unused sub on a few occasions, I wonder if the game still counts that in terms of being 'ever present'. It's not my definition of the term, I have to say.

Fair point and it did cross my mind. I watch 'extended' but it still is possible I suppose. I've got a big lump up front though so thought it would yield even moderate success creating chances.

What to do then is after each game, go to the analysis section and see the range of passes from your back line. You might find there's more long balls than you think.

Archived